What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should the Cowboys trade Barber (1 Viewer)

TidesofWar

Footballguy
I know that Marion signed a big deal recently, but....................

The Boys have 2 starter quality guys in Barber and Choice, IMo, and a good change of pace guy in Felix Jones.

Could or should Dallas look to move Barber for some top draft picks, or could they pull off a Herschel Walker type deal that would bring in several players to help put them over the top??

TidesofWar said:
I know that Marion signed a big deal recently, but....................The Boys have 2 starter quality guys in Barber and Choice, IMo, and a good change of pace guy in Felix Jones.Could or should Dallas look to move Barber for some top draft picks, or could they pull off a Herschel Walker type deal that would bring in several players to help put them over the top??
what has Barber ever done to bring in a Walker type deal? Let's let him run for 1000 yards or carry the ball 250 times first. He's a good RB on a good offense but I wouldn't see anyone giving up a ton for him with that big contract which is the same problem KC will have if/when they try to deal LJ.

I am not sure whether the contract was heavy in signing bonus or not...If not, I can't imagine they would get higher than a 4th round pick for him, although I believe I once heard on Sirius that his jersey sells in the top 10 overall...not sure if that is due to him, being a Cowboy or both. That adds value (we never discuss the merchandising impact Favre had on the Jets), so you never know. I just think back to about three years ago when SA and Edge were in their last years of their contract (granted they were about 27-28 years old then) and neither could garner a 3rd rounder.

TidesofWar said:
I encourage you to seek out the parameters of that deal and figure out what the cap hit would be for trading him. I further encourage you to look at how much cap space they have available for 2009. I'll give you a hint on that one ($10 million). Lastly, I encourage you to look at what needs to come out of that cap space. I'll give you a hint on some pieces (rookie pool; possible FA safety, LB and/or NT; re-signing any/all of Austin, Canty, Burnett, Zach, Tank, Proctor; EXTENDING DEMARCUS WARE).After you've researched those elements and still feel that it would be feasible to trade Barber, then we can revisit this post.

TidesofWar said:
I know that Marion signed a big deal recently, but....................The Boys have 2 starter quality guys in Barber and Choice, IMo, and a good change of pace guy in Felix Jones.Could or should Dallas look to move Barber for some top draft picks, or could they pull off a Herschel Walker type deal that would bring in several players to help put them over the top??
RB's are easy to find these days. Look at how many rookie RB's had very successful years this season for instance. There is also the salary cap hit Dallas would take too.I also think no team will ever make a 'Herschel Walker' type of deal again. It was a fantastic trade for Dallas and an unbelievable bad trade for Minn.

TidesofWar said:
I encourage you to seek out the parameters of that deal and figure out what the cap hit would be for trading him. I further encourage you to look at how much cap space they have available for 2009. I'll give you a hint on that one ($10 million). Lastly, I encourage you to look at what needs to come out of that cap space. I'll give you a hint on some pieces (rookie pool; possible FA safety, LB and/or NT; re-signing any/all of Austin, Canty, Burnett, Zach, Tank, Proctor; EXTENDING DEMARCUS WARE).After you've researched those elements and still feel that it would be feasible to trade Barber, then we can revisit this post.
Thanks for the encouragement :rolleyes: Since you have intimated you are well versed in the business aspects, perhaps you could have provided some answers, instead of sarcasm

TidesofWar said:
RB's are easy to find these days. Look at how many rookie RB's had very successful years this season for instance. There is also the salary cap hit Dallas would take too.I also think no team will ever make a 'Herschel Walker' type of deal again. It was a fantastic trade for Dallas and an unbelievable bad trade for Minn.
You'd need to deal a player like AP and even then it wouldn't approach ....LB Jesse Solomon LB David Howard CB Issiac Holt RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas) DE Alex Stewart Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) They traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft (Emmitt Smith) Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright) Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams) Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (11) (Pat Harlow) Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Darryll Lewis) Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson) Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner) Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins) for ...RB Herschel Walker Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones) San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton) Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman) Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

TidesofWar said:
...then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... with... a herring!

TidesofWar said:
Thanks for the encouragement :thumbup: Since you have intimated you are well versed in the business aspects, perhaps you could have provided some answers, instead of sarcasm
Look, I'm not personally trying to be sarcastic to you. But it would be nice if you had done enough research to see if such a scenario is even feasible. Its really not when you look at the above elements. The only RB that Dallas could/would feasibly trade would be Choice. With luck, they could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. But then they'd be back drafting another RB this year to take his spot. If this last year is any indication, they need healthy bodies at that spot. Why roll the dice on a new draft pick when you know what you've got locked up to a really agreeable contract for 2+ more years?

I did a little more research for you. Here's a summary of Barber's contract. 5/20/2008: Signed a seven-year, $45 million contract. The deal contains $16 million guaranteed, including a $12 million signing bonus. 2009: $620,000, 2010: $3.86 million, 2011: $4.25 million, 2012: $5.75 million, 2013: $6.25 million, 2014: $7 million, 2015: Free Agent

So this means the accelerated signing bonus would be $12 million x 6/7, or $10.285 million. Subtract off the base salary of $620K and you're left with a $9.67 million cap hit if he's traded.

I did a little more research for you. Here's a summary of Barber's contract. 5/20/2008: Signed a seven-year, $45 million contract. The deal contains $16 million guaranteed, including a $12 million signing bonus. 2009: $620,000, 2010: $3.86 million, 2011: $4.25 million, 2012: $5.75 million, 2013: $6.25 million, 2014: $7 million, 2015: Free AgentSo this means the accelerated signing bonus would be $12 million x 6/7, or $10.285 million. Subtract off the base salary of $620K and you're left with a $9.67 million cap hit if he's traded.
So it looks to be an economically unfeasible climate for a Barber tradeThanks for the info

TidesofWar said:
I like sarcastic Ridgelake, usually you are too polite and avoid ruffling any feathers.Oh and for the OP. He's 100% on the money, sarcastic or not. I will concede that the idea is sound without the contract issues...I thought the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
TidesofWar said:
Let's throw out the salary cap issues which make it infeasible and just look at the merits of doing the deal.One. They can't do a Herschel Walker type deal because no one is going to do a Herschel Walker type deal anymore so let's throw that off the table. Two he is coming off a toe injury so that will hurt his value but they could probably get something like what Dallas traded to get Roy. A 1st and a 3rd maybe although maybe not even that much since teams don't like the life span of runningbacks.Three should Dallas trade Barber for 2 unproven draftpicks?I don't think so. Barber is a dynamic runner that is exceptional at getting Red Zone scores. He is a good receiver and great blocker. He is also has an incredible work eithic and an unselfish attitude. Instead of trading him this coaching staff should be working overtime trying to figure out how to put these 3 weapons on the field during the game.

I like sarcastic Ridgelake, usually you are too polite and avoid ruffling any feathers.
I guess I am in a crotchety mood today. And you're right, I generally try to avoid ruffling feathers around here. There are too many pissing contests on the boards as is.I didnt mean to single out this guy personally. But I rate un-researched posts like these only slightly higher on the spam scale that the trolling ones that frequent many threads here. He probably doesnt deserve the slam, but hopefully he and others will step up the quality of their posts as a result.

Not a chance they trade a seasoned Barber for two rookies (well, they'll be second year players this next season).

I didnt mean to single out this guy personally. But I rate un-researched posts like these only slightly higher on the spam scale that the trolling ones that frequent many threads here. He probably doesnt deserve the slam, but hopefully he and others will step up the quality of their posts as a result.
:rolleyes: Good grief.....the guy was just thinking out loud. There's no reason to jump all over him or anyone else. You are a Dallas fan and obviously close to the situation. You definitely knew what you were talking about but there's no reason to get high and mighty.Anyway, thanks for the Barber contract and Dallas salary situation. It's helpful. :thanks:

TidesofWar said:
You'd need to deal a player like AP and even then it wouldn't approach ....LB Jesse Solomon LB David Howard CB Issiac Holt RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas) DE Alex Stewart Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) They traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft (Emmitt Smith) Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright) Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams) Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (11) (Pat Harlow) Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Darryll Lewis) Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson) Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner) Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins) for ...RB Herschel Walker Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones) San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton) Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman) Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)
Sweet Jesus.

TidesofWar said:
Let's throw out the salary cap issues which make it infeasible and just look at the merits of doing the deal.One. They can't do a Herschel Walker type deal because no one is going to do a Herschel Walker type deal anymore so let's throw that off the table. Two he is coming off a toe injury so that will hurt his value but they could probably get something like what Dallas traded to get Roy. A 1st and a 3rd maybe although maybe not even that much since teams don't like the life span of runningbacks.Three should Dallas trade Barber for 2 unproven draftpicks?I don't think so. Barber is a dynamic runner that is exceptional at getting Red Zone scores. He is a good receiver and great blocker. He is also has an incredible work eithic and an unselfish attitude. Instead of trading him this coaching staff should be working overtime trying to figure out how to put these 3 weapons on the field during the game.
:shrug: I think people are underestimating just how good Barber is, especially in the red zone.

I didnt mean to single out this guy personally. But I rate un-researched posts like these only slightly higher on the spam scale that the trolling ones that frequent many threads here. He probably doesnt deserve the slam, but hopefully he and others will step up the quality of their posts as a result.
:pickle: Good grief.....the guy was just thinking out loud. There's no reason to jump all over him or anyone else. You are a Dallas fan and obviously close to the situation. You definitely knew what you were talking about but there's no reason to get high and mighty.Anyway, thanks for the Barber contract and Dallas salary situation. It's helpful. :thanks:
Good grief, it was a little sarcasm from one of the better posters on the entire site. Also, there was no "jumping all over him" and he backed his post with facts. If every post was like his, this place would be a whole better. Just my opinion of course.

:no: Good grief.....the guy was just thinking out loud. There's no reason to jump all over him or anyone else. You are a Dallas fan and obviously close to the situation. You definitely knew what you were talking about but there's no reason to get high and mighty.Anyway, thanks for the Barber contract and Dallas salary situation. It's helpful. :coffee:
Good grief, it was a little sarcasm from one of the better posters on the entire site. Also, there was no "jumping all over him" and he backed his post with facts. If every post was like his, this place would be a whole better. Just my opinion of course.
Bad mood - No Foreclosures Today?

Used RBs in the NFL are no longer valued like they once were. Rookies have been making far too good of an impact in todays NFL.

:confused: I think people are underestimating just how good Barber is, especially in the red zone.
...and also failing to realize that Choice only got an opportunity to show he was good because Jones and Barber were injured - which should tell one that perhaps having RB depth is important in the NFL.

:confused: Good grief.....the guy was just thinking out loud. There's no reason to jump all over him or anyone else. You are a Dallas fan and obviously close to the situation. You definitely knew what you were talking about but there's no reason to get high and mighty.Anyway, thanks for the Barber contract and Dallas salary situation. It's helpful. :popcorn:
Come on. You weren't even insulted by the post and seem to handle the obvious sarcasm well. This other poster thought differently and I am simply asking him for some reasonable persective here on Ridge's post.Oh and I am in Canada with the world's most sound banking system, so not as many foreclosures. We didn't give 500k Mtg's to 7-11 workers.

:blackdot: Good grief.....the guy was just thinking out loud. There's no reason to jump all over him or anyone else. You are a Dallas fan and obviously close to the situation. You definitely knew what you were talking about but there's no reason to get high and mighty.Anyway, thanks for the Barber contract and Dallas salary situation. It's helpful. :thumbup:
TidesofWar, I do give you a lot of credit. I was a jerk in my original post. You handled it well and with class. :unsure: Cheers

:shrug: Good grief.....the guy was just thinking out loud. There's no reason to jump all over him or anyone else. You are a Dallas fan and obviously close to the situation. You definitely knew what you were talking about but there's no reason to get high and mighty.Anyway, thanks for the Barber contract and Dallas salary situation. It's helpful. :lmao:
TidesofWar, I do give you a lot of credit. I was a jerk in my original post. You handled it well and with class. :lmao: Cheers
I would say that it is class that enables people such as myself to tolerate people like you - but that would probably be too Ferris BuellerSo Cheers to you as well :lmao:

I did a little more research for you. Here's a summary of Barber's contract. 5/20/2008: Signed a seven-year, $45 million contract. The deal contains $16 million guaranteed, including a $12 million signing bonus. 2009: $620,000, 2010: $3.86 million, 2011: $4.25 million, 2012: $5.75 million, 2013: $6.25 million, 2014: $7 million, 2015: Free AgentSo this means the accelerated signing bonus would be $12 million x 6/7, or $10.285 million. Subtract off the base salary of $620K and you're left with a $9.67 million cap hit if he's traded.
Not entirely accurate. Max proration period is six years, so $2mm per year, assuming this is a new contract and not an extension (although there couldn't be much remaining from the prior contract). Trading him pre-June 1 would cause a big hit of $9.38mm. But trading him after June 1 would be different. Dallas would take a $1.38mm hit this year, and then push the remaining $8mm on the bonus forward to 2010. That $8mm would be offset by the $3.86mm salary for a 2010 hit of $4.14mm.Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't guess it happens. I'm just saying hits of $1.38mm in 2009 and $4.14mm in 2010 are a lot different from a $10mm hit in 2009.

Users who are viewing this thread