What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should there be a penalty if a gun is stolen from an unlocked car? (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
I hear on the news about lots of guns (mostly handguns) being stolen from unlocked cars. A lot of these cars are parked in the gun owner's driveway. 

Should there be any sort of fine or penalty for the gun owner?

Would you consider not locking your car being an irresponsible gun owner?

Or is this a case of the thief trespassing on the gun owner's property and there should absolutely be no penalty for the gun owner?

Mods: Let's try to keep this non-political and keep it in the FFA.  Thanks.

>>Should there be any sort of fine or penalty for the gun owner?

For it being stolen?  No. 

If it's subsequently used in a crime and someone is injured / killed?   Yes.  

I'm all for responsible gun ownership but that comes with the onus of securing your weapon.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely consider it irresponsible. However, I dont think the owner should be charged...but I'm not a hard liner on that thought and could change my mind. Where do we draw the line? What if its stolen off the kitchen table from an unlocked house? Again, IMO irresponsible, but should one be charged for that? 

If we are going to apply a penalty to the gun owner, how much worse should the penalty be for the person that stole the gun?

How would this be any different from someone who left their car running, had it stolen, then the thief crashes it and kills someone.  You gonna charge the car owner with the death somehow?

How would this be any different from someone who left their car running, had it stolen, then the thief crashes it and kills someone.  You gonna charge the car owner with the death somehow?
"with the death"?  Not sure what this means but you can/should be able to charge them with something.

"with the death"?  Not sure what this means but you can/should be able to charge them with something.
sorry, but I think that is ridiculous.  if someone breaks the law and takes something from me, I should not be responsible for anything that happens with the stolen item.

They should have some accountability. Doesn't gun ownership carry some responsibility?
Sure it does. Doesn't being a decent human being and not stealing from others and then committing a crime carry an even heavier responsibility?

What is the proposed punishment if I leave my gun in an unlocked car?

What is the proposed punishment  if I steal a gun from someone's car?

The car is unlocked.  You were irresponsible with something potentially dangerous.
Anything can be potentially dangerous.  If I steal a screwdriver from your unlocked house and stab someone to death with it, you think you should be punished for being irresponsible?

I hate that our society does this.  Crap like a thief suing a homeowner for cutting his arm while breaking a window.  Just stupid nonsense imo.

The OP doesn't establish a punishment for the gun owner. So, it's difficult to give an answer.

As one poster mentioned, is death penalty off the table? 
OP doesn't know what the punishment should be or if there should even be a punishment....which is why he started the topic.  He is just irritated knowing that thieves are getting guns easily because some gun owners are failing to lock their cars.

Sure it does. Doesn't being a decent human being and not stealing from others and then committing a crime carry an even heavier responsibility?

What is the proposed punishment if I leave my gun in an unlocked car?

What is the proposed punishment  if I steal a gun from someone's car?
I agree the person who in this scenario stole the gun should be punished. A gun left in an unlocked car is very reckless, gun ownership has responsibilities.

I don’t know what the punishment is for this imaginary scenario, what has occurred? 

Anything can be potentially dangerous.  If I steal a screwdriver from your unlocked house and stab someone to death with it, you think you should be punished for being irresponsible?

I hate that our society does this.  Crap like a thief suing a homeowner for cutting his arm while breaking a window.  Just stupid nonsense imo.
A screwdriver and a gun seem different.

OP doesn't know what the punishment should be or if there should even be a punishment....which is why he started the topic.  He is just irritated knowing that thieves are getting guns easily because some gun owners are failing to lock their cars.
Well, if you say that the gun owner should receive the death penalty, then most here would say that there shouldn't be a penalty. If you said that the gun owner should receive a lollipop, then most posters would say that it's not enough of a penalty. (even if it was cherry flavor, which is the worst)

There's a wide range in between. 

I agree the person who in this scenario stole the gun should be punished. A gun left in an unlocked car is very reckless, gun ownership has responsibilities.

I don’t know what the punishment is for this imaginary scenario, what has occurred? 
I'm just concerned that people are putting more of an onus on the gun owner that didn't lock their vehicle vs a thief. 

If we create or increase the punishment for leaving a gun in an unlocked car, then we should increase the punishment for the act of stealing a gun. 

Ultimately, what are you trying to accomplish? Change in behavior or revenge?

I'm just concerned that people are putting more of an onus on the gun owner that didn't lock their vehicle vs a thief. 

If we create or increase the punishment for leaving a gun in an unlocked car, then we should increase the punishment for the act of stealing a gun. 

Ultimately, what are you trying to accomplish? Change in behavior or revenge?
Weird, I didn’t get that impression at all.

I’d think most people would be all for punishing criminals. But, would also think that leaving your weapon unlocked is very reckless. I’d assume gun owners would think this way as well.

To me, if you are going to own a gun, you assume all responsibility for the safety of that gun. Leaving it unlocked in a car jeopardizes the safety of that gun. A thief taking it is no different to me than your kid crawling in there, grabbing it, and shooting himself.

You are responsible for it.  You are responsible for its safety.

Now, if a thief breaks into your property and steals the gun, that is on him.

I am not a gun owner. 

Well, if you say that the gun owner should receive the death penalty, then most here would say that there shouldn't be a penalty. If you said that the gun owner should receive a lollipop, then most posters would say that it's not enough of a penalty. (even if it was cherry flavor, which is the worst)

There's a wide range in between. 
What is your opinion?  Should there be a penalty?  If yes, what should the penalty be?

To me, if you are going to own a gun, you assume all responsibility for the safety of that gun. Leaving it unlocked in a car jeopardizes the safety of that gun. A thief taking it is no different to me than your kid crawling in there, grabbing it, and shooting himself.

You are responsible for it.  You are responsible for its safety.

Now, if a thief breaks into your property and steals the gun, that is on him.

I am not a gun owner. 
“My car was locked. They must have hacked the electronic lock ” 

If I steal a screwdriver from your unlocked house and stab someone to death with it, you think you should be punished for being irresponsible?

Following this logic, you should be able to leave your loaded .45 on the corner of your lawn by the street.  If someone takes it, they're a bad thief and you did nothing wrong.  

“My car was locked. They must have hacked the electronic lock ” 
I assume people lie all the time about potential liability they may have exposed themselves to.

That doesn’t answer the question if gun owners should be held responsible for acting recklessly.

Following this logic, you should be able to leave your loaded .45 on the corner of your lawn by the street.  If someone takes it, they're a bad thief and you did nothing wrong.  
No.  In your scenario, no where did the thief enter anything of your property to get the "weapon".

the sweet siren song of a thread about both cars and guns was never anything kcitons was going to be able to resist that ship is already on the rocks brohans take that to the bank 

I hear on the news about lots of guns (mostly handguns) being stolen from unlocked cars. A lot of these cars are parked in the gun owner's driveway. 

Should there be any sort of fine or penalty for the gun owner?

Would you consider not locking your car being an irresponsible gun owner?

Or is this a case of the thief trespassing on the gun owner's property and there should absolutely be no penalty for the gun owner?

Mods: Let's try to keep this non-political and keep it in the FFA.  Thanks.
I think there should be a penalty if a firearm is stolen and not reported by the original owner.. 

YES

what happens if they stole the car but left the gun right where it would have been if the car had not been there and then after that someone stole the gun from that place boom i just blew your mind up take that to the bank brohans 

Prosecuting people for leaving their car door unlocked.

I understand you’ve been robbed, ma’am.  That’s unfortunate. I’d like to ask you a few questions.

I see you have a key FOB.  Did you hear the the beep-click-beep or just the beep beep when you tried to lock your door?  Was anyone else in the vicinity that can verify the click and beep sequence?  Was the click sound different?  I mean, did it sound like only three clicks and not the standard four clicks?  When was the last time your key FOB battery was tested?  What kind of batteries do you use?  

What!? Radio Shack batteries!?  They aren’t even in business anymore.  You disgust me.  Place your hands behind your back...

>>Should there be any sort of fine or penalty for the gun owner?

For it being stolen?  No. 

If it's subsequently used in a crime and someone is injured / killed?   Yes.  

I'm all for responsible gun ownership but that comes with the onus of securing your weapon.  
I'm not really sure of my own position on this, but I don't get this one at all.  My irresponsibility was in not adequately securing my gun.  Whether I'm punished for that or not shouldn't depend on the future actions of someone else.  

Users who are viewing this thread