What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should Tony Corrente be suspended for his egregious and negative impact on the MNF game? Shannon Sharpe thinks so... (1 Viewer)

Should Tony Corrente be suspended for his egregious and negative impact on the MNF game?

• Yes

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • No

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • Wilbon or better known as "IDK Tony"

Votes: 4 5.5%

• Total voters

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
"Skip-Shannon" this morning highlighted that Corrente "hip-checked" the Street Fighter kicker from Chicago last night after he was caught staring down the Steelers bench that looked a little like taunting but he waited and waited until he could turn his body into Cassius as he was trying to get off the field. Simultaneously as he turns 90 degrees to hip-check Cassius he decides to throw the flag into the air and calls the penalty for taunting at that point. 

Sharpe contends that Corrente should be suspended and while I am on the fence, the optics look pretty bad and I do question when he threw the flag. Maybe they should send him back to school or training the rest of the year, they have to have guys waiting in the wings...sorry gals as well that are eager to jump on the field and take this man's spot. 

Cancel Corrente?

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't hear about this but just watched. Seems insignificant, only because I can't tell if it were intentional or not. If intentional, that's not okay. Although the guy way running almost directly at the ref, he should've gotten out of the way.

The refs changed the outcome of the game with bad calls.  With everything under the sun reviewable, and the new quick review system, I don’t know why they can’t just fix the refs bad calls too.  Or allow the coaches to challenge bad ref calls.

He will never ref another prime time game, that seems the most likely outcome. 

If you want to really punish him, put his crew on Houston, Detroit or Jets games the rest of the season. 

I have watched multiple videos over and over.  Marsh simply ran too close to the ref, and they touched.  Marsh was the one jogging towards the ref; not the other way around.  The contact was 100% Marsh's fault.  Marsh could've avoided the contact.  But do I think the ref threw the flag because of the contact and not necessarily the taunting?  Yes, I do.

I have watched multiple videos over and over.  Marsh simply ran too close to the ref, and they touched.  Marsh was the one jogging towards the ref; not the other way around.  The contact was 100% Marsh's fault.  Marsh could've avoided the contact.  But do I think the ref threw the flag because of the contact and not necessarily the taunting?  Yes, I do.
I wanted to believe you and believe that arc/narrative, Corrente is facing the Steelers bench, his shoulders are squared up facing the Steelers watching Cassius you would agree with that, yes? Then Corrente turns 90 degrees so that his shoulders are now squared up facing the end zone that Chicago is defending, think about the movie True Lies and Tom Arnold when he is being shot at tries to hide behind a lamp post or equivalent and turns 90 degrees to try and slim down behind the pole, that's what Corrente reminds me of trying to get out of the way but then as he is turning it sure looks like he initiates contact and hip-checks him but was trying to act like he might be getting out of the way, then the flag comes flying out of the hip, totally on reaction to the hip-check and the contact it created.  

Suspended for the rest of the season seems appropriate.  He hip checked the player.  It was obvious.   
I have an exercise for you.  Stand in the middle of your living room and start shadow boxing.  You are not allowed to move your feet more than 12 inches in any direction.  Flail away and see if you accidentally punch any NFL linebackers. 

Bring back Mike Carey, do folks remember him? 

One of the better NFL Referees when he was active. I can't believe that man is now 72 years old, blows my mind. 

Suspended for the rest of the season seems appropriate.  He hip checked the player.  It was obvious.   

I was thinking fired for all the other stuff. The roughing the QB calls/no calls were worse than the taunting call IMO. The hip-check was just silly... childish.

I’m not a blame the refs guy and I had no interest in the outcome but I legitimately think the Bears win that game with even average officiating. That was just wild. 
Considering they should have had 30 free yards on back to back egregious non-calls for roughing that woulda put them in chip shot FG range, they literally cost them the game. 

That whole crew should be suspended. 

I was thinking fired for all the other stuff. The roughing the QB calls/no calls were worse than the taunting call IMO. The hip-check was just silly... childish.
That’s where I’m at. I’m more ok with the taunting call, but the more were way bigger calls they absolutely choked on. 

if I’m the NFL I’m investigating this crew for fixing the game. Some of those calls were “take a dive in the 6th” bad. 

Corrente should be force-retired.  He's the same guy that had to be forcefully overturned from NY on the "endzone fumble" in the Texans playoff game.  Should have been the same last night on at least two occasions.  He's old, and he sucks.

He will never ref another prime time game, that seems the most likely outcome. 

If you want to really punish him, put his crew on Houston, Detroit or Jets games the rest of the season. 
Speaking for Detroit fans we've suffered enough.

Has anyone ever added up penalty numbers vs opponents, especially in key situations, for NFL royalty like the the Steelers and Patriots? 

I would love to see the disparity.

Never bet against NFL royalty, at least not in big games, no matter how good that line looks.  Those refs dwell in some deep pockets.

I’ve watched the video multiple times and for the life of me do not see a hip check.  It looked to me like incidental contact and really why would the ref intentionally hip check a player on national TV?  

It’s ridiculous as is the idea the refs were purposely making one sided calls. They weren’t, they’re just terrible and unfortunately for the Bears they were particularly bad on significant plays against the Bears.

Had the game been officiated properly the Bears almost certainly would have won the game. That is inexcusable.

Fine, suspend, fire the official(s) for gross incompetence but I don’t believe the game was “fixed” nor do I think the ref purposely initiated contact with the player.

Chalk it up as one more example of how horrible the officiating in the NFL is, something we’ve been saying here for years.

The player didn't have to run so close to the official. Hip check was little more than a flinch. Would have been funnier if he clotheslined the player.

The player didn't have to run so close to the official. Hip check was little more than a flinch. Would have been funnier if he clotheslined the player.
Agreed.  Also the official was reaching for the flag before contact so he was throwing it for events prior.

The taunting rule should only be called in egregious situations and what the Bear's player did (stare at the Steelers bench) should not have risen to that level.   I realize that taunting has been a point of emphasis this season but this was ridiculous.   

Dumb rule + bad official = a travesty of a game.  

Yes, the official should be suspended.  I am honestly not sure how anyone can watch that and not notice how the official initiated the contact.  Yes, he had his hand on the flag, but he watched the player go to run behind him, stuck his butt out at him to initiate contact, and then threw the flag (in a very dramatic way as well).  The NFL loves to protect their own, so I will be surprised if they say or do anything that we hear about, but I'd be willing to bet that Corrente will get a sharp reprimand behind closed doors. 

Agreed.  Also the official was reaching for the flag before contact so he was throwing it for events prior.
Imagine if you could remove Marsh completely from the video. 

If you saw Corrente standing there, make the motion he did (not a hip check, more of an old man butt spasm) and then throw his flag skyward like he was Bono on stage at Red Rocks, you would be like, What. The. Heck. Is. This. Guy. Doing?

Yes, the official should be suspended.  I am honestly not sure how anyone can watch that and not notice how the official initiated the contact.  Yes, he had his hand on the flag, but he watched the player go to run behind him, stuck his butt out at him to initiate contact, and then threw the flag (in a very dramatic way as well).  The NFL loves to protect their own, so I will be surprised if they say or do anything that we hear about, but I'd be willing to bet that Corrente will get a sharp reprimand behind closed doors. 

So what would be the official's motivation for this?   

I have an exercise for you.  Stand in the middle of your living room and start shadow boxing.  You are not allowed to move your feet more than 12 inches in any direction.  Flail away and see if you accidentally punch any NFL linebackers. 
I performed this exercise three times.  I didn’t punch and NFL players.

I don't buy it.   The official was calling the taunting call without the "hip check" and any official that wants to alter a game can much more easily do so with a holding or pass interference and not much would be said.  Why on earth would he unnecessarily resort to such theatrics?

Also even with this call the Steelers still did not cover the spread so if you bet on the Bears you won.

So if you believe the official was being paid off I would be interested to know who you think was paying him?

If the official wanted, he could've thrown Marsh out of the game for contacting him, then filed criminal charges for assault.  The fact that he did neither of those things goes to show the contact was unimportant to him, just as it was to Marsh.  The contact had no bearing on what the ref was going to do.

If the official wanted, he could've thrown Marsh out of the game for contacting him, then filed criminal charges for assault.  The fact that he did neither of those things goes to show the contact was unimportant to him, just as it was to Marsh.  The contact had no bearing on what the ref was going to do.
:lol:    Good shtick. 

Not really,  I once saw a Steeler QB get thrown out of a game by tapping an official on the back with his finger because he wanted to ask a question.
Okay, but I was responding to the idea of that ref filing criminal assault charges, when there is clear video evidence that the ref initiated the contact.  That's like punching someone in the face and then yelling for the cops to arrest them for hitting you. 

I don't buy it.   The official was calling the taunting call without the "hip check" and any official that wants to alter a game can much more easily do so with a holding or pass interference and not much would be said.  Why on earth would he unnecessarily resort to such theatrics?

Also even with this call the Steelers still did not cover the spread so if you bet on the Bears you won.

So if you believe the official was being paid off I would be interested to know who you think was paying him?
Money is usually the answer when searching for motivation and I just can’t believe that the crew is that incompetent.  I am trying to give this officiating crew some credit.  If money wasn’t involved, this crew shouldn’t even officiate HS games.  The taunting/hip check thing was just one of the horrendous calls.  Maybe he just hates the Bears because his wife’s boyfriend is from Chicago?  

Meh, I remember seeing it live and just thinking it looked awkward.  Watching the replay and getting actually pay attention to it, still awkward and just looks like both expected the other to put more effort into getting out of the way with old man pinstripes tensing up while starting to toss flag and realizing the game of chicken had been lost

That said, as a fan of both the Steelers and the game, this taunting BS is wildly out of control.  How is a “oh yes I did” stare down detrimental to the game and worthy of penalty but the entire defense running from one side of field to the other in order to do some celebration for a camera after turnover not?  One actually wastes time 

FYI...these are hip checks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC8f_cGa72w

The player was jogging at him and initiated the contact with his arm.  The ref turned sideways, which short of putting your arms up and leg back to brace for contact, appears to make sense.  Almost every ref in this video either turns sideways or sticks out their butt prior to getting hit.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv8T5yiSynw  Before the whistle the onus is on the refs to stay out of the way of the players.  After the whistle the player is responsible for not touch the ref.

Meh, I remember seeing it live and just thinking it looked awkward.  Watching the replay and getting actually pay attention to it, still awkward and just looks like both expected the other to put more effort into getting out of the way with old man pinstripes tensing up while starting to toss flag and realizing the game of chicken had been lost

That said, as a fan of both the Steelers and the game, this taunting BS is wildly out of control.  How is a “oh yes I did” stare down detrimental to the game and worthy of penalty but the entire defense running from one side of field to the other in order to do some celebration for a camera after turnover not?  One actually wastes time 

Man, I sure hate that.  It's really ridiculous.

FYI...these are hip checks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC8f_cGa72w

The player was jogging at him and initiated the contact with his arm.  The ref turned sideways, which short of putting your arms up and leg back to brace for contact, appears to make sense.  Almost every ref in this video either turns sideways or sticks out their butt prior to getting hit.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv8T5yiSynw  Before the whistle the onus is on the refs to stay out of the way of the players.  After the whistle the player is responsible for not touch the ref.
Just like river rafting there are different degrees of hip checks, this might not have been an over the top rope suplex but it was effective nonetheless and the flag comes out immediately when they make contact. 

No doubt there are going to be folks that don't see the hip check the way Shannon Bayless does.  

Yup.  Agree with your take in the first paragraph.

Users who are viewing this thread