What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Simple poll, Vote with your mind, not your heart (1 Viewer)

Who will win?

• Steelers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Colts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JohnnyU

Footballguy
No homer votes allowed. You are on your honor. I'm not voting because I'm an obvious Colts homer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Steelers need to play much better D than they did today. They also need to be able to control the LOS on offense. I am not confident that they can do either but after seeing the Chargers performance against Indy anything is possible.

The Steelers need to play much better D than they did today. They also need to be able to control the LOS on offense. I am not confident that they can do either but after seeing the Chargers performance against Indy anything is possible.
colts have a little more to play for this week than they did against the Chargers. And, the Colts proved they could handle the Steelers in their first meeting this year.I like the Colts by 7.

Pittsburgh over the Colts this week and over the Pats next week...followed by a loss to Seattle :boxing:edited to add: not a Steeler homer, live in central PA, hate the Steelers, Cowboys fan but I have a hunch here.

Colts have been through too much in past playoffs to blow an opportunity like this, especially in their playoff opener.

RBerger had his first start following his injury vs. the Colts. He should perform much better this time around. That's about the only thing that keeps the game closer than the last. I still like the Colts and I like them by 7.

I won't vote, as I'm a homer too.But, the Ben that showed up against Cinci was not the same Ben that you guys saw earlier this year. If he can stay relaxed and poised I think we honestly do have a shot at beating you. Well, that and our DB's not biting on Manning pump fakes on the first play of the game. :hot:It's been an odd year for the colts, of highs and lows. First their impressive win streal. then the letdown of the Charger loss, Dungy's tragedy, and now the starters having only played a few series of down in the last 3 weeks, combine that with Ben seemingly getting his act together and our defense playing good ball...I don't expect this game will be like the regular season meeting. The Colts will be favored, and rightfully so. But this game is not going to be a cakewalk for them.

The Steelers will have to play a perfect game. They can beat the Colts. Their first meeting was closer than the score showed. That was Ben's first game back. He was rusty. And they can't give up the big play like they did the first game. Palmer hit Henry on the Bengals first play yesterday. The Steelers CAN'T let Manning go deep. I think the game will come down to a few plays. It always does. If the Steelers get those plays, they will win. The Colts won't be able to run on the Steelers. But the Steelers HAVE to give Ben time. Freeney and Co. will be what wins the game for the Colts. They are FAST!!! I'm expecting the Colts to get up early and win a close game 37-31. BUT.......If the Steelers gets up by two scores early, the Black and Gold will win. My 2 cents.

I won't vote, as I'm a homer too.

But, the Ben that showed up against Cinci was not the same Ben that you guys saw earlier this year. If he can stay relaxed and poised I think we honestly do have a shot at beating you. Well, that and our DB's not biting on Manning pump fakes on the first play of the game. :hot:

It's been an odd year for the colts, of highs and lows. First their impressive win streal. then the letdown of the Charger loss, Dungy's tragedy, and now the starters having only played a few series of down in the last 3 weeks, combine that with Ben seemingly getting his act together and our defense playing good ball...I don't expect this game will be like the regular season meeting. The Colts will be favored, and rightfully so. But this game is not going to be a cakewalk for them.
Oh, saying I agree with your assessment is an understatement. As much as I would like a Colts blowout, it isn't going to happen. What we have here folks is another 1995 classic in the making.

It is going to be a very interesting game - actually all the games next weekend will be very interesting. My boss and I discussed the playoffs last Friday and we agreed that the only team to have a realistic shot at goint to the RCA dome and beat the Colts would be New England.I saw (and heard) nothing this weekend to change my mind in that respect.FWIW I think if the Pats win in Denver the Colts better look out. They will be rooting for Denver to win that game I am sure.

I can actually see the Steeler D keeping the Colts to under 35.I can see the Steeler O putting up more than 35.I don't see both happenning in the same game.

After watching the chippy BS (and I'm not talking about the Palmer hit) that the Steelers perpetrated yesterday, I've switched my preference in the this game & would rather see IND win. Completely classless show by PIT vs CIN.I'd have voted IND in this poll either way.

I'm a homer so I null voted. I expect a different game than last time, when Pitt seemed to think they could run over the Colts because they are small. I expect a more balanced offensive attack from the Steelers this time - mixing the run and pass more effectively.We know that the home team in the divisional round wins 80% of the time. Here's another interesting nugget: since 1970 there have been 20 teams that have won 14 or more regular season games (not including this year's Colts). Only one out of the 20 failed to get out of the divisional round - the 1986 Bears.

Steeler homer so I won't vote.I think the Steelers offense is capable of scoring against the Colts but if the defense can't pressure Manning it is going to be a long day.

I'm a homer so I null voted. I expect a different game than last time, when Pitt seemed to think they could run over the Colts because they are small. I expect a more balanced offensive attack from the Steelers this time - mixing the run and pass more effectively.

We know that the home team in the divisional round wins 80% of the time. Here's another interesting nugget: since 1970 there have been 20 teams that have won 14 or more regular season games (not including this year's Colts). Only one out of the 20 failed to get out of the divisional round - the 1986 Bears.
Steelers homer here so I didn't vote either. I wasn't very confident going into the Bengals game but it was nice to see the Steelers actually adapt after a shaky first half. The Colts are not the Bengals and the Steelers defense will have to play much much better than they did against the Bengals. Realistically, I dont see that happening just because there are way too many issues with that defense right now (i.e. not being able to stop 3rd and short/long/miles, no pass rush, stupid penalties, missed tackles). On the other hand, I saw a qb yesterday that just might be able to carry a team on his back (very Elway-esque). It may and probably won't happen this year but good times are ahead Steelers fans. # 7 is gonna be a stud for many years to come..........

After watching the chippy BS (and I'm not talking about the Palmer hit) that the Steelers perpetrated yesterday, I've switched my preference in the this game & would rather see IND win. Completely classless show by PIT vs CIN.

I'd have voted IND in this poll either way.
I don't see how you can root for the Colts if the Broncos win on Saturday night. As a fan, even trumping the understandable revenge factor, I always would rather be able to host a conference title game than not. Just for the excitement factor alone - I think that trumps the "revenge" and "wanting to beat the best (meaning top seed)" factors. But, I'm speaking as a fan whose city has never hosted an AFC title game - maybe in Denver it would be different.

I don't see how you can root for the Colts if the Broncos win on Saturday night.
Voting for the Colts in the poll does not equal rooting for the Colts, although as I stated earlier, after yesterday's showing by PIT, I hope IND pastes them. As a DEN fan, we'll deal with whomever comes next IF we win this coming weekend. Who I root for in the PIT/IND probably will have very little to do with the outcome. ;)

I don't see how you can root for the Colts if the Broncos win on Saturday night. 
Voting for the Colts in the poll does not equal rooting for the Colts, although as I stated earlier, after yesterday's showing by PIT, I hope IND pastes them. As a DEN fan, we'll deal with whomever comes next IF we win this coming weekend. Who I root for in the PIT/IND probably will have very little to do with the outcome. ;)
Good points. I'm looking forward to both AFC games this weekend.

We know that the home team in the divisional round wins 80% of the time. Here's another interesting nugget: since 1970 there have been 20 teams that have won 14 or more regular season games (not including this year's Colts). Only one out of the 20 failed to get out of the divisional round - the 1986 Bears.
Only 9 of the 20 won the SB.

We know that the home team in the divisional round wins 80% of the time.  Here's another interesting nugget:  since 1970 there have been 20 teams that have won 14 or more regular season games (not including this year's Colts).  Only one out of the 20 failed to get out of the divisional round - the 1986 Bears.
Correct. But, there were 3 (maybe 4 - I don't have the list in front of me) seasons that there were more than one 14 win team - and one of those seasons there were 3 14+ win teams. They can't all win the Super Bowl in the same season (and each of those 3 (or 4) seasons one of the 14+ win teams did win the Super Bowl).But - I'm ONLY talking about the divisional round with my original point. Mainly that the team tends to trip up later in the playoffs if they trip up.

what did the steelers do yesterday that offended you?

they won

they won
I could have cared less who won that game yesterday. Neither team is going to the SB.PIT DBs with their walkover of WRs who are on the ground while talking trash the whole time is bush league. The guy is literally helpless. Polamalu throwing the ball in an opponent's face despite him running his mouth the whole game. The late shots on WRs away from where the ball is thrown - that's all bush league crapola.

And the funny thing is that It's CIN who gets nailed with the first unsportsmanlike penalty on the hit on Randle El one step OB when both players where braced for the collision - the refs tried to get hold of the game way too late. Don't get me wrong - the better team won. CIN plays way too young to be successful in the playoffs, and losing Palmer so early (on a legit hit, IMO) certainly didn't help.

I just think Cowher had better get a handle on his team - and the PIT secondary has some serious growing up to do. They'll get a good lesson next week. Don't think IND wasn't watching the same things...

We know that the home team in the divisional round wins 80% of the time.  Here's another interesting nugget:  since 1970 there have been 20 teams that have won 14 or more regular season games (not including this year's Colts).  Only one out of the 20 failed to get out of the divisional round - the 1986 Bears.
Correct. But, there were 3 (maybe 4 - I don't have the list in front of me) seasons that there were more than one 14 win team - and one of those seasons there were 3 14+ win teams. They can't all win the Super Bowl in the same season (and each of those 3 (or 4) seasons one of the 14+ win teams did win the Super Bowl).But - I'm ONLY talking about the divisional round with my original point. Mainly that the team tends to trip up later in the playoffs if they trip up.
For anyone that cares . . .72 Dolphins Won Super Bowl

78 Steelers Won Super Bowl

83 Redskins Lost Super Bowl

84 Dolphins Lost Super Bowl

84 49ers Won Super Bowl

85 Bears Won Super Bowl

86 Bears Lost Divisional Playoffs

86 Giants Won Super Bowl

89 49ers Won Super Bowl

90 49ers Lost NFC Championship

91 Redskins Won Super Bowl

92 49ers Lost NFC Championship

98 Broncos Won Super Bowl

98 Falcons Lost Super Bowl

98 Vikings Lost NFC Championship

99 Jaguars Lost AFC Championship

01 Rams Lost Super Bowl

03 Patriots Won Super Bowl

04 Patriots Won Super Bowl

04 Steelers Lost AFC Championship

05 Colts ?????????????????

What would the playoffs be without a Cowher-coached team choking?
How can they choke when they're underdogs? :loco:
They were home dogs to the Pats last year but it was "choking" then too.Somehow, if the Colts win like they should, Cowher will have choked again.

Roethlisberger's play and Marvel Smith's health both should make this a much tighter game than the first meeting, but no matter what, the Steelers have to make it through the game winning the turnover battle. They did a nice job containing Manning after they recovered from the 80 yard bomb on the first play of their previous matchup, and I have faith that even if the Colts move the ball well, the Steelers can hold them to field goals instead of TDs.

A big return from the special teams wouldn't hurt, either.

And finally, the Steelers have to continue their efficiency when they get into the red zone. TDs, not field goals will win this game.

And Chuck, I'd love for this game to play out like a replay of the 1995 game.

I am not confident that they can do either but after seeing the Chargers performance against Indy anything is possible.
You can count on 2 things. One, the Steelers will be watching lots of film on the Colts / Chargers game, two, Peyton manning will be watching lots of film on the Colts / Chargers game :P

[somehow, if the Colts win like they should, Cowher will have choked again.
default_pigskinp.gif'
Sorry, I should've made the sarcasm a little more clear.Even as a Steelers fan, I don't know how anyone can look at this game and think the Steelers SHOULD win.

Losing to a better team isn't choking. It wouldn't be this year, it wasn't last year, and it really wasn't in 2001 or 1997 either. Losing a game because of special teams mistakes and/or having a QB turn the ball over 4 times in a 3 point loss to Broncos team led by Jon Elway isn't choking on the part of the head coach.

But I understand why people look at it that way.

It is going to be a very interesting game - actually all the games next weekend will be very interesting. My boss and I discussed the playoffs last Friday and we agreed that the only team to have a realistic shot at goint to the RCA dome and beat the Colts would be New England.

I saw (and heard) nothing this weekend to change my mind in that respect.

FWIW I think if the Pats win in Denver the Colts better look out. They will be rooting for Denver to win that game I am sure.
Maybe there is part of them doesn't want to face the Pats, but I'll guarantee that they would love a chance to beat the Pats @ home and exorcize their demons.

Indy wins this game, but big Ben showed me something yesterday. This kid is going to be good. Ben is quickly moving up my ranking of QB's in the league (not fantasy wise) and next to Palmer he is the best young QB in the game ahead of the likes of Eli, Vick, Leftwich, etc.

Ben is quickly moving up my ranking of QB's in the league (not fantasy wise) and next to Palmer he is the best young QB in the game ahead of the likes of Eli, Vick, Leftwich, etc.
He should be moving up fantasy-wise, too.He had what had to be the quietest top 10 QB performance on a PPG basis in the history of fantasy football.

And he's getting better.

PIT DBs with their walkover of WRs who are on the ground while talking trash the whole time is bush league. The guy is literally helpless. Polamalu throwing the ball in an opponent's face despite him running his mouth the whole game. The late shots on WRs away from where the ball is thrown - that's all bush league crapola.

And the funny thing is that It's CIN who gets nailed with the first unsportsmanlike penalty on the hit on Randle El one step OB when both players where braced for the collision - the refs tried to get hold of the game way too late. Don't get me wrong - the better team won. CIN plays way too young to be successful in the playoffs, and losing Palmer so early (on a legit hit, IMO) certainly didn't help.

I just think Cowher had better get a handle on his team - and the PIT secondary has some serious growing up to do. They'll get a good lesson next week. Don't think IND wasn't watching the same things...
I noticed the same stuff and was surprised. Are the Steelers always that brash and cocky on the field? And what is with Hines Ward mocking the crowd after they took the lead? I like Bill Cowher (even though I argue against him a lot, usually because it becomes a Cowher vs. Shanahan battle), but I was disappointed with the way his team behaved yesterday (not talking about Palmer's injury, either).

What would the playoffs be without a Cowher-coached team choking?
I don't think a 6 seed (that is an almost double digit favorite) losing to the 1 seed should be labeled choking.
Maybe not, but with that chin sticking out so far, it kind of makes you wonder what he chokes on away from the cameras.

PIT DBs with their walkover of WRs who are on the ground while talking trash the whole time is bush league.  The guy is literally helpless.  Polamalu throwing the ball in an opponent's face despite him running his mouth the whole game.  The late shots on WRs away from where the ball is thrown - that's all bush league crapola.

And the funny thing is that It's CIN who gets nailed with the first unsportsmanlike penalty on the hit on Randle El one step OB when both players where braced for the collision - the refs tried to get hold of the game way too late.  Don't get me wrong - the better team won.  CIN plays way too young to be successful in the playoffs, and losing Palmer so early (on a legit hit, IMO) certainly didn't help.

I just think Cowher had better get a handle on his team - and the PIT secondary has some serious growing up to do.  They'll get a good lesson next week.  Don't think IND wasn't watching the same things...
I noticed the same stuff and was surprised. Are the Steelers always that brash and cocky on the field? And what is with Hines Ward mocking the crowd after they took the lead? I like Bill Cowher (even though I argue against him a lot, usually because it becomes a Cowher vs. Shanahan battle), but I was disappointed with the way his team behaved yesterday (not talking about Palmer's injury, either).
The DB trash talking thing is nothing - Housmanzadeh was doing MORE than enough talking of his own like he always does, and I'm sure CJ was doing his share too. It was a heated game and tempers were all over the place. I'd guess a lot of it likely had to do with how they acted and the cocky comments Housh and CJ made after the Bengals won in Pittsburgh. It was Housh who was walked over a little bit in the end zone, and I think the secondary took him wiping his cleats with a terrible towel to heart. He does more than his share of talking, but he comes off like a cocky ### hole while CJ comes off as being funny. As for Ward baiting the crowd, you can be sure the Steelers' players were hearing it from them. That happens in every game, everywhere.

Polamalu was baited into throwing the ball at the Bengals' defensive player in the middle of a skirmish, and he fell for it. Stupid penalty that ended up giving the Bengals 4 extra points.

The hit on Randle El came after he had already taken 2 steps out of bounds. He braced for contact like anyone would if they knew they were going to get hit.

All in all, as long as they don't take the stupid questions, I really don't have a problem with them playing physical and trying to intimidate the other team. It's part of football and it takes the other team off their game. If it works, great. If not, that's fine too, just don't take penalties over it.

The Colts are not going to be intimidated by anyone! They are dishing out as much as they are taking this season(which is new for us).Colts 27Stillers 20

The Colts are not going to be intimidated by anyone! They are dishing out as much as they are taking this season(which is new for us).

Colts 27

Stillers 20
And I don't expect them to be. I was impressed by how physically they played against the Steelers last time.I'm hoping Roethlisberger not being rusty and the fact that Marvel Smith will play this time will have an impact on this game.

Either way it's to be a great freakin game. Certainly I think the Steelers can win - and it wouldn't surprise at all. I voted Indy but I don't know if that was my mind, my heart, or just gas.I wish these two were playing for the AFC title.

default_pigskinp.gif'
Although, as previously pointed out, being the underdog and losing <> choking. That being said, is there another more over-rated coach in the NFL? Cowher has had TONS of talent on his teams in the past decade or so and has nothing to show for it. Sure he has division titles and what not, but they remind me of the Braves in baseball. Always in the middle of it, but you always know they won't win it all.

Although, as previously pointed out, being the underdog and losing <> choking. That being said, is there another more over-rated coach in the NFL? Cowher has had TONS of talent on his teams in the past decade or so and has nothing to show for it. Sure he has division titles and what not, but they remind me of the Braves in baseball. Always in the middle of it, but you always know they won't win it all.
I don't think that is fair. There is something to be said for always being in the thick of it. Cowher is one of the winningest coaches of the last ten plus years. Jeff Fisher, Andy Reid and Tony Dungy haven't won Super Bowls either, but I would still call them very good or even great coaches. And for the record, Bobby Cox has won one World Series championships with the Braves.

default_pigskinp.gif'
That being said, is there another more over-rated coach in the NFL? Cowher has had TONS of talent on his teams in the past decade or so and has nothing to show for it. Sure he has division titles and what not, but they remind me of the Braves in baseball. Always in the middle of it, but you always know they won't win it all.
This couldn't be farther from the truth. He's led 5 teams to the AFCC game with the likes of O'Donnell, Stewart, and a rookie at QB. He took a team to the Super Bowl with O'Donnell at QB, Bam Morris and Erric Pegram at RB, and a WR squad made up of mediocre talents. There are lots of positions where you can hide a weak spot, but QB isn't one of them.

He lost with a better team in 1994, I'll give you that. But in 1997 he lost to an Elway led Bronco team when Stewart threw 3 INTs and fumbled once. In 2001, he lost when the Patriots scored TDs on a punt return and a blocked field goal. He called for Josh Miller to punt it out of bounds, but Miller missed and kicked it right to Troy Brown. And in 2004, the Steelers lost to a Patriots team that were road favorites in Heinz Field.

If anything, he's underrated because he takes a LOT of criticism for things he couldn't do anything about. He's gotten the most of the talent he's had.

default_pigskinp.gif'
That being said, is there another more over-rated coach in the NFL? Cowher has had TONS of talent on his teams in the past decade or so and has nothing to show for it. Sure he has division titles and what not, but they remind me of the Braves in baseball. Always in the middle of it, but you always know they won't win it all.
This couldn't be farther from the truth. He's led 5 teams to the AFCC game with the likes of O'Donnell, Stewart, and a rookie at QB. He took a team to the Super Bowl with O'Donnell at QB, Bam Morris and Erric Pegram at RB, and a WR squad made up of mediocre talents. There are lots of positions where you can hide a weak spot, but QB isn't one of them.

He lost with a better team in 1994, I'll give you that. But in 1997 he lost to an Elway led Bronco team when Stewart threw 3 INTs and fumbled once. In 2001, he lost when the Patriots scored TDs on a punt return and a blocked field goal. He called for Josh Miller to punt it out of bounds, but Miller missed and kicked it right to Troy Brown. And in 2004, the Steelers lost to a Patriots team that were road favorites in Heinz Field.

If anything, he's underrated because he takes a LOT of criticism for things he couldn't do anything about. He's gotten the most of the talent he's had.
Just adding the fact that while it's true that Steelers' QBs have occasionally had OK years, at no point has Cowher had a QB who has been capable of leading a team with his arm.Until this year.

And now he gets to take on the Colts in Indy as almost double digit underdogs.

Users who are viewing this thread