What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Six years ago tonight... (1 Viewer)

Turtles

Footballguy
I don't know if this is more Shark Pool or Assistant Coach forum-worthy, but here's my story.

-----

So I just need Andre Johnson + Hakeem Nicks to outscore the Giants' defense tonight to get the last playoff spot in my biggest money league, I'm sitting here getting unnecessarily nervous about it, and I just remembered my worst fantasy beat of all-time.

It's December 13, 2004, and I'm in a similar spot to tonight. Same league, and I just need to dodge a Monday Night bullet to get in the playoffs. I'd won my game already, but I was in a total points battle for the last playoff spot. I'm up by some ridiculously big number (maybe 30-something?), and the other guy just has Drew Bennett left. I figure I'm 98%+ safe - Derrick Mason is the Titans' #1, and I can't get beat by a white WR, right?

This is the box score:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxs...00412130oti.htm

It's over by halftime, and by the time the dust settles, Bennett's night is good for 63 points (PPR + a 5-point bonus for each hundred.) Nice. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that still remembers that game.

-----

Anybody else have a good one?

I got knocked out by that game as well. And the year before by Joe Horn. And a couple of years later by DeAngelo Williams. All in the same dynasty league, and all with the greatest team ever assembled.

I still don't trust night games.

I didn't remember that game but if I had Bennett he would have been on my bench.

It reminds me of a game way back in in November of 2010 when Michael Vick dismantled a sure win that I had put together....good times, good times.

I KNEW that's what this thread would be about. I think I had one loss going into the fantasy playoffs when this happened.

Week 14 2008, 67.2 point lead, he had two players playing on MNF.

Deangelo Williams (32.2)

186 Rushing yards 2TDs, 1 reception for 6 yards.

Antonio Bryant (41.0)

9 catches 200 yards 2TDs

Game over.

Wasn't that the year that the shady Volek/Bennet combo took everyone to the finals, and then they laid an egg in week 16?

It's over by halftime, and by the time the dust settles, Bennett's night is good for 63 points (PPR + a 5-point bonus for each hundred.) Nice. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that still remembers that game.
I played against both Bennett and Kennison (2/67/2) that night.

I don't know if this is more Shark Pool or Assistant Coach forum-worthy, but here's my story.

-----

So I just need Andre Johnson + Hakeem Nicks to outscore the Giants' defense tonight to get the last playoff spot in my biggest money league, I'm sitting here getting unnecessarily nervous about it, and I just remembered my worst fantasy beat of all-time.

It's December 13, 2004, and I'm in a similar spot to tonight. Same league, and I just need to dodge a Monday Night bullet to get in the playoffs. I'd won my game already, but I was in a total points battle for the last playoff spot. I'm up by some ridiculously big number (maybe 30-something?), and the other guy just has Drew Bennett left. I figure I'm 98%+ safe - Derrick Mason is the Titans' #1, and I can't get beat by a white WR, right?

This is the box score:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxs...00412130oti.htm

-----

Anybody else have a good one?
Thanks for the memories....six years ago I was on the other side of the Drew Bennett explosion. I was in a neck-and-neck race with another team for the last playoff spot, and we happened to be playing each other in Week 14. The other team was up big on me and I only had Bennett to go, so I didn't even bother to follow the Monday night game. When I logged on to the site the next day and saw I was in the playoffs, I thought my computer was broken....so I reloaded the page a couple of times. Then I thought perhaps I had been drugged or was hallucinating, so I remember literally rubbing my eyes and looking at the screen again.

I've been hooked on this ridiculous game ever since!

Wasn't that the year that the shady Volek/Bennet combo took everyone to the finals, and then they laid an egg in week 16?
Yup, Week 16 Volek went 111-0-2 while Bennett had 2-26-0. Had been a Bennett owner who played against the Volek team in the finals. Still lost.

Absolutely, was just talking about that with my brother. Was vs the Broncos on a Sunday night game I think, Volek was knocked out early and Bennett didn't do much either. I had picked up both of them mid-season along with LJ (after Priest was injured) and went from a losing season to losing in the title game, was a great season and great memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
That streak of games by Bennett is still one of the best of any random WR of all time. Carried me to a championship that year. :no:

Musheen muHammed had a great run for the panthers a few years ago where he caught only touchdowns and destroyed the league singlehandedly and carried many teams to championships while destorying the dreams of many other players and yet teaching us al the true meaning of sportsmanship

I remember the matchup in my league had the guy with Mason up by 30-ish points going into the game. He wasn't even watching the game...I remember calling him during the 3rd quarter to tell him he was losing, and he had no idea....he thought it was a sure thing.

I had Joe Horn in my lineup during this game, as I think someone mentioned. Helped get me to the Super Bowl, which I won :shrug:

In 2005, my team (a really good team by all accounts) was up against a powerhouse team that was 15-0 heading into our title game.

For him...Larry Johnson and Shaun Alexander had good games as usual...and Steve Smith-CAR got himself ejected after getting something 18 yards.

I had Brad Johnson with one of his best games of the season, and I won the game 38.924 to 37.622 ... which is essentially 52 rush/rec yards.

Now that was a bad beat.

1995 at a bar week 12/18 week 15. Half the league there, I was down 5 scores and my opponent was taunting me that it was over. I told him "Hey jack ###, if I am down 5 tds, the superbowl on the line and I have to pick one guy to play it's Jerry mother ####### Rice."

14 for 289 and 3 touchdowns.

*100 yards = td points

(I know this is about bad beats so I posted this for my friend)

Last edited by a moderator:
Patrick Freaking Jeffers in week 16, 1999, goes 165/2 and I lost the championship game because of him. I had his leg broken after that in revenge.

Users who are viewing this thread