What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Snap Counts and Utilization (1 Viewer)

SameSongNDance

Footballguy
I started this thread last year and it was instantly one of my favorites. I hope we can get it going again this year.

* Just for reference, when speaking on players I'm going to be listing offensive snap counts, snap percentages in () and utilization. When pertaining to RBs, utilization takes into account carries and targets, not just carries and receptions.

NYJ backfield:

- Powell saw 47 snaps (63%) and was utilized 17 times (5 targets). He finished with 12 carries for 29 yards and 4 receptions for 35 yards.

- Ivory saw 24 snaps (32%) and was utilized 12 times (2 targets). He finished with 10 carries for 15 yards and 0 receptions.

So, it looks like NYJ wasn't lying about trotting out Powell as their starter. Obviously, both backs were largely ineffective but there's no way you can ignore a RB being utilized 17 times in our little fantasy world. Powell ended up tying both MJD and Mendenhall as the 12th most utilized RB last week. There's no doubt this dynamic can change (will definitely change when Goodson comes back) but it's worth keeping an eye on.

BUF backfield:

- Spiller saw 37 snaps (59%) and was utilized 23 times (6 targets). He finished with 17 carries for 41 yards and 5 receptions for 14 yards.

- Jackson saw 26 snaps (41%) and was utilized 18 times (5 targets). He finished with 13 carries for 67 yards and 4 receptions for 41 yards.

When looking through snap counts and utilization totals this one stuck out. I'm betting no expected FJax to A) get this much work and B) still look good. If FJax remains productive, I don't see how this becomes anything but a timeshare.

SD backfield:

- Brown saw 24 snaps (45%) and was utilized 7 times (2 targets). He finished with 5 carries for 27 yards and 2 receptions for 24 yards.

- Mathews saw 20 snaps (38%) and was utilized 15 times (2 targets). He finished with 13 carries for 33 yards and 2 receptions for 22 yards and a touchdown.

- Woodhead saw 9 snap (17%) and was utilized 3 times (3 targets). He finished with 2 receptions for 16 yards.

This clearly isn't what Mathews owners envisioned after watching him beast it in the preseason. I honestly can't give a logical explanation as to why Mathews is continually cycled out aside from the fact that SD must still trust Brown more than Mathews when the game is on the line. The only bright spot here is that Mathews was utilized on 75% of his snaps.

NO backfield:

- Sproles saw 31 snaps (45%) and was utilized 14 times (6 targets). He finished with 8 carries for 22 yards and 6 receptions for 88 yards.

- Thomas saw 21 snaps (30%) and was utilized 13 times (4 targets). He finished with 9 carries for 43 yards and 4 receptions for 16 yards.

- Ingram saw 18 snaps (26%) and was utilized 9 times (0 targets). He finished with 9 carries for 11 yards.

This dynamic has become utterly boring and almost falls directly in line with 2012's snap count averages/percentages. Expect much of the same out of this backfield this year, i.e, Sproles will be a PPR monster, Thomas will underutilized (due to durability concerns) and Ingram will be largely ineffective.

Lastly, here are the top 5 most utilized RBs of week 1..

1. LeSean McCoy - 32

2. DeMarco Murray - 30

3. Doug Martin - 30

4. Reggie Bush - 29

5. Daryl Richardson - 26

I have to say that with as much commonaility as exists in terms of availability of information, I'm finding that snap counts are becoming increasingly important in knowing in gauging how RB's specifically are being used.

One I think you missed here was this:

WAS - Alfred Morris (37 snaps), Roy Helu (39 snaps). Granted, WAS was behind all game but Morris dominated snaps in WAS last year no matter the situation.

I have to say that with as much commonaility as exists in terms of availability of information, I'm finding that snap counts are becoming increasingly important in knowing in gauging how RB's specifically are being used.

WAS - Alfred Morris (37 snaps), Roy Helu (39 snaps). Granted, WAS was behind all game but Morris dominated snaps in WAS last year no matter the situation.
Not true. This is exactly how they were split last year too. If Washington was behind or in a passing down, it was Helu.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
indy:

ballard 39 snaps (71%), 13 carries, 2 targets

bradshaw 15 snaps (27%), 7 carries, 1 target

brown 1 snap
Most intersting thing here is that on Bradshaw 15 snaps he was the focus of the offense getting over half the plays (8)

Cool post, also maybe mention situtational causes. Like New England (and Buffalo) kind of got skewed due to the fumbling issues of the primary ballcarriers in Ridley and CJ Spiller.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
indy:

brown 1 snap
Most intersting thing here is that on Bradshaw 15 snaps he was the focus of the offense getting over half the plays (8)
It's also interesting to note Ballard averaged 4.85 yards per carry vs. 3.71 for Bradshaw. Perhaps that's related to the usage patterns, but... Ballard's not going away quietly here.

Would love to see the breakdown of BAL's backfield. Specifically the snaps where Rice and Pierce were on the field at the same time.

Not true. This is exactly how they were split last year too. If Washington was behind or in a passing down, it was Helu.
2012:

Morris - 728 snaps

Royster (that's who I believe you meant) - 225 snaps

Helu - 44 snaps

Morris tied for 6th in the NFL (at RB position) in total snaps in 2012.

Great thread. Denver is another one that will be interesting to keep an eye on.
DEN

moreno 37 (52%) 9 carries, 3 targets

hillman 15 (21%) 4 carries, 2 targets

ball 18 (25%) 8 carries, 0 targets (probably 4 snaps on final kneeldown possession)

3rd qtr 28-17 broncos

1. 2-10-BAL 15 (7:45) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 28-M.Ball up the middle to BAL 6 for 9 yards (91-C.Upshaw).
  2. 3-1-BAL 6 (7:13) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 28-M.Ball left end pushed ob at BAL 2 for 4 yards (22-J.Smith).
4th qtr 42-24 broncos

1. 1-10-DEN 20 (10:28) 28-M.Ball up the middle to DEN 22 for 2 yards (55-T.Suggs).
  2. 2-8-DEN 22 (9:46) 28-M.Ball right tackle to DEN 29 for 7 yards (26-M.Elam).
  3. 3-1-DEN 29 (9:02) 28-M.Ball right tackle to DEN 27 for -2 yards (55-T.Suggs; 92-H.Ngata).
4th qtr 42-27 broncos

1-10-DEN 20 (5:29) 28-M.Ball up the middle to DEN 22 for 2 yards (56-J.Bynes).

1. 1-10-DEN 17 (2:19) 28-M.Ball right tackle to DEN 18 for 1 yard (99-C.Canty).
  2. Two-Minute Warning
  3. 2-9-DEN 18 (2:00) 28-M.Ball up the middle to DEN 19 for 1 yard (96-M.Spears).
  4. Timeout #2 by DEN at 01:16.
  5. 3-8-DEN 19 (1:16) 18-P.Manning pass short left to 88-D.Thomas to DEN 29 for 10 yards (29-M.Huff).
running up the scorez ^^

that's actually more ball action than I had expected

Kool-Aid Larry said:
indy:

brown 1 snap
It's also interesting to note Ballard averaged 4.85 yards per carry vs. 3.71 for Bradshaw. Perhaps that's related to the usage patterns, but... Ballard's not going away quietly here.
I don't want to be the take that play away guy, but you really can't get any meaningful info out of a tiny sample size like bradshaw's carries.

his first carry was for -3 yds, and I have no idea whose fault it was, but it's possible they blew that play up and would've gotten anyone back there.

his other 6 carries were at a 4.8 ypc clip.

You mean Royster, even though he was ineffective, because Helu was injured. But it's the same role and the gist of your post is correct.

whats going on in the Arizona backfield?
not much
Mendenhall is 14th in the league in rush yds (60 yds) after Week one and outrushed Foster, Tate, Forte, McFadden, Richardson, Morris, Ridley, MJD, Gore and Lynch.

While I don't think anyone believes AZ is a gold mine rushing attack, there clearly could be solid RB2/Flex value for a healthy Mendenhall, especially where he was drafted.

Mendenhall split carries 16/10 with Alfonso Smith, whoever that is. My speculation is they had Mendenhall on some type of pitch count given the "looseness" in his knee at the end of preseason.

Would be good to know whether this is a full-blown RBBC for the full season but hard to believe since Arians has been very high on Mendenhall since acquiring him.

I'm glad you guys like the thread. I was hoping that it'd be a far cry better than the plethora nonsense threads littering the shark pool nowadays. I've been accustomed to doing this for a while now but it really helps me retain the information when I type it out. I'm a bit swamped with work but when I have some time I'm going to break down WR dynamics, which IMO should be a bit more interesting/surprising than that of RBs.

whats going on in the Arizona backfield?
not much
Mendenhall is 14th in the league in rush yds (60 yds) after Week one and outrushed Foster, Tate, Forte, McFadden, Richardson, Morris, Ridley, MJD, Gore and Lynch.

While I don't think anyone believes AZ is a gold mine rushing attack, there clearly could be solid RB2/Flex value for a healthy Mendenhall, especially where he was drafted.

Mendenhall split carries 16/10 with Alfonso Smith, whoever that is. My speculation is they had Mendenhall on some type of pitch count given the "looseness" in his knee at the end of preseason.

Would be good to know whether this is a full-blown RBBC for the full season but hard to believe since Arians has been very high on Mendenhall since acquiring him.
This is my question. Is Alfonso Smith really the #2 here, or is he just keeping the seat warm until Ryan Williams is ready? What about Stepfon Taylor?

Great post. Where are you getting these numbers?
I'm glad you guys like the thread. I was hoping that it'd be a far cry better than the plethora nonsense threads littering the shark pool nowadays. I've been accustomed to doing this for a while now but it really helps me retain the information when I type it out. I'm a bit swamped with work but when I have some time I'm going to break down WR dynamics, which IMO should be a bit more interesting/surprising than that of RBs.
Also interested in the source. I love doing various number crunching and also would like to see some of the other positions broken down.

With Dunbar coming back it'll be interesting to see if DeMarco Murray continues to get targeted in the passing game.
i don't see why he would not be targeted when Murray is still in the game. It may obviously reduce his total targets because he may not be in on 90% of the snaps once Dunbar returns.

Last edited by a moderator:

2012:

Morris - 728 snaps

Helu - 44 snaps

That doesn't tell the entire story. Morris rarely, if ever, saw time when the skins were in either the 2 minute offense or come from behind mode. There just weren't many games last year when they were getting shellacked that bad.

really cuz Helu missed the whole year

2012:

Morris - 728 snaps

Helu - 44 snaps

That doesn't tell the entire story. Morris rarely, if ever, saw time when the skins were in either the 2 minute offense or come from behind mode. There just weren't many games last year when they were getting shellacked that bad.
Also, Washington was one of the better 1st and 2nd down teams in the league. They didn't find themselves in too many obvious passing situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Johnson - TEN

week 1

64% of offensive snaps (43 total)

25 carries

0 targets

no other RB got a target

Locker 11/20 passing

Offensive snaps: Vereen's career high

By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- A look at snaps played by Patriots skill-position players, while analyzing how the totals reflect the way players were utilized (charted during game, small margin for error):

QB Tom Brady -- 94 of 94

WR Kenbrell Thompkins -- 91 of 94

WR Julian Edelman -- 83 of 94

TE Michael Hoomanawanui -- 80 of 94

WR Danny Amendola -- 59 of 94

RB Shane Vereen -- 56 of 94

RB LeGarrette Blount -- 23 of 94

TE Zach Sudfeld -- 19 of 94

FB James Develin -- 18 of 94

WR Josh Boyce -- 15 of 94

RB Stevan Ridley -- 15 of 94

TE/OL Nate Solder -- 11 of 94

(Snaps includes penalties. End-of-first-half kneel-down not included. End of second-half plays counted as they were setting up final field goal.)

ANALYSIS: Running back Shane Vereen's 56 snaps were easily a career high. He played 29 snaps his entire rookie season in 2011, and his high mark last year for a game was 24. He was one of the team's top performers and this shows he is primed for a more expanded role. ... As noted after the game, running back Stevan Ridley didn't play again after his second-quarter fumble. ... Receiver Danny Amendola played 31 of his 59 snaps in the second half after he initially left with his right groin injury. Even before he left the game, his snaps were being managed, with Julian Edelman rotating in for him at times. ... Kenbrell Thompkins was, for all intents and purposes, the team's No. 1 receiver in terms of never leaving the field. The three snaps he didn't play were the fourth-down fumble at the goal line (power package with no receivers) and the two end-of-game strategic plays by Tom Brady to position for the final field goal. ... Edelman's 83 snaps showed how he was mostly in two- and three-receiver packages, playing a key role. ... Unsung performance from tight end Michael Hoomanawanui, who was called upon to fill the inline blocking role and played 80 snaps. His high total last season was 49 snaps. ... Rookie tight end Zach Sudfeld was used sparingly in the second half (4 of his 19 snaps) after he was involved in an interception at the end of the first half. ... Left tackle Nate Solder played 11 snaps as an eligible receiver/tight end as the team used an extra offensive lineman to account for a shortage at the position. When Solder declared as an eligible receiver, that meant he had to skip a play before returning to his left tackle position, so Marcus Cannon stepped in at left tackle in those situations.

The Chudzinski Effect

Trent Richardson had fewer snaps than Arian Foster this week (51 to 52) despite the superior backup playing in Houston.

Richardson also had a lower % of snaps at RB than Arian Foster (66 to 68).

He was ruinous to the Carolina running game, and I'd be very nervous as a Richardson owner by Chud's history and Week 1 utilization.

dgreen said:
chinawildman said:
TheDirtyWord said:

2012:

Morris - 728 snaps

Helu - 44 snaps

Also, Washington was one of the better 1st and 2nd down teams in the league. They didn't find themselves in too many obvious passing situations.
And?

In 2012, a dynamic rookie QB, coming off winning Heisman Trophy in spectacular fashion, vaulted himself into the MVP conversation and led a rejuvenated franchise to a 10-6 record. An out of nowhere RB, goes on to a huge year himself in large part because he was on the field almost 3 out of every 4 plays and played with a QB fearless in a read option attack, both in and out of the pocket.

The following year, that same QB is coming off his 2nd ACL injury, has been described as having altered mechanics now due to whatever reason (but mostly attributed to post-injury issues) and whose team, along with him, looked out of sync from the get-go in Game 1. In this game, this now 2nd year RB was on the field 2 out of every 4 plays and struggled to gain yardage against a defense not too many people were impressed with coming into the game.

To ignore what occurred here from a snap distribution standpoint would seem to be careless to me. If RGIII is not the same guy this year that he was last year, the whole dynamic of the WSH run game could be significantly altered.

Chris Johnson - TEN

week 1

64% of offensive snaps (43 total)

25 carries

0 targets

no other RB got a target

Locker 11/20 passing
news here though was Battle looked good as the vulture when Greene tweaked his knee.

Ace Sanders caught my attention checking out the OW on the Jags. Everything has been so positive ever since.

He had 3 catches for 14 yards which isn't good but a nice play was called back due to Shorts PI. He had 9 targets and (according to link) only Shorts was in on more snaps.

Sorry, yeah I use footballoutsiders.com for snap counts and KFFL.com for utilization totals. Lastly, I've found fftoday.com to be the best place to view statistics. I really like the set up.

Really, the point of this thread IMO is to pool information and analyze it over the course of the season. This had helped me make preemptive WW pick ups in the past.

Ace Sanders caught my attention checking out the OW on the Jags. Everything has been so positive ever since.

He had 3 catches for 14 yards which isn't good but a nice play was called back due to Shorts PI. He had 9 targets and (according to link) only Shorts was in on more snaps.
Don't forget Blackman is coming back in 3 weeks though... regardless, it's nice to see a rookie being utilized and trusted this early.

Don't forget Blackman is coming back in 3 weeks though....
wtf

racist
Spellcheck doesn't check for football players haha!

*Blackmon

Don't forget Blackman is coming back in 3 weeks though... regardless, it's nice to see a rookie being utilized and trusted this early.
He's a slot WR, I think he'll be fine.

And, that's why the snap distribution looked the way it did. Helu replaces Morris in obvious passing situations.

To ignore what occurred here from a snap distribution standpoint would seem to be careless to me. If RGIII is not the same guy this year that he was last year, the whole dynamic of the WSH run game could be significantly altered.
I think it would stand to reason that to ignore the similarities in snap distribution between this past week and the next closest situation for this unit would also be careless. The week 3 game from last year, against the Bengals, is probably the closest comp for what this team does when it gets down big and needs to get back in the game sooner rather than later. In that game, Morris saw 37 snaps (49%) and RBs not named Morris (Helu and Royster) saw 38 snaps (50%).

If you're suggesting, and/or believe, that playing from 3-4 scores behind is going to be commonplace for the Redskins this year, then yes, their run game dynamic will be significantly altered compared to last year. Helu didn't get his snaps this week to take rush opportunities away from Morris, though. He got his snaps because the Redskins needed to pass to get back in to the game. They rushed 7 times (called run plays) in the 3rd quarter (out of 26 plays) and had zero rushing plays in the 4th quarter (24 plays).

Otherwise, if you believe this game is more of a bump in the road than the status quo, there's not much reason to believe anything will change significantly from last year, from a RB snap distribution perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread