What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Snow blower/thrower shopping - What ya got? (1 Viewer)

Gottabesweet

Footballguy
For those of you who snow blow and handle big storms on the east coast, what snow blower do you have?  I'm shopping a new one currently and the reviews are all over the place.  We are looking at a 24" 2-stage Husqvarna right now but open to all opinions. I can only read online reviews so much without my head exploding.

I'll second the Ariens love.

I got mine 14-15 years ago and it still works through it.  Very (yet essential) simple tool, very simple maintenance needed.

I was looking at this model and I do see you're from NY (Buffalo here) I think spending the extra $400 bucks will be worth it.
Yep - I'm on Long Island.

And yes, the xtra $$$ is well worth it - thing will last forever. I've had mine for 12+ years and it still kicks ###.

I sort of look at these in line with sheds - I have never heard someone say, "Damn,  my shed is too big" and the same applies to snow blowers.

I have a Toro 826 (8 HP, 26") I bought two years ago. Was about 1k. I love it. 

I used to have a 5 HP 24", but I prefer the larger 26" - I gave my old one (another Toro) to my neighbor. That one is still working after 15 years. I replaced it as sometimes, the 5HP had trouble with 12" of wet snow. 

I like Toro personally, but the Ariens mentioned is a nice machine as well. Those are the only two names I would consider. 

For east coast storms, you need a two stage, and at least 5hp (and more if possible). Anything less is a toy. 

If you want to save some money, get a used Ariens if you can find one.

I'm pretty sure all snow blowers use Chinese-made engines now, but Ariens was the last to stop using USA built.

Some of the cheaper snow blowers use cheaper steel which will rust after 5 or so years.

When it comes to snowblowers think HAT: Honda / Ariens / Toro. 

Get a used Ariens. I have a 25 year old 824 and thing kicks ###, very reliable, easy parts if you need them. My local shop won't work on Craftsmen / other, they are HAT only. 

Also know that the Ariens you get at the Depot and the one at your local hardware store are very different. HD gets special models where they cheap out left and right, and the kids putting it together don't know how to properly build them. 

Another vote for Ariens. 6 MN winters and it has performed very well. 27" DLX with B & S Snowseries 1150 (250cc). Was about a grand at an outdoor power equip place near me.

I have a decent amount of funds on amazon as work sometimes pays out them and I saved up.  So I'm pretty much locked in there.  They do have the Ariens 524 which was listed above for $1349.00 I'm trying to find the next model up.

So even if you could save 50% or more, you are locked into Amazon?
I think so yes, rather spend $0.00 out of pocket. Just deciding on the brand and with FBG's help I've narrowed it down to Ariens.   This forum is awesome it steered me into the right direction last month for a router & modem that is a tank.

I have two Ariens--one in Chicago and one in Utah.  Both were purchased ~5 years ago.  The only issue I've experienced is with the turning mechanism on the throw chute.  In cold weather (5 or lower in Fahrenheit), the chute will not lock in place and I have to hold it with one of my hands.  They've since changed the design so I guess it should be better.

I have a frankenstein blower I call the "Craftsmonster."  It's a 28" Craftsman that I got for free.  It had a bad engine - broken rod due to the owner running it without oil.  She gave it to me for free, and I put a Harbor Freight Predator engine on it, and used some of the mini-bike tuning kits to up the power some.  I also put an impeller kit on it.  It's freaking amazing.  Throws snow 30-40' in the right conditions.  Slush is no problem.  Sounds horrible though.  Like somebody threw some screws in a blender.

Have a craftsman as well.   I guess its ok.  It seems to do ok with up to a few feet of snow.  Pull rope broke so that needed to be fixed.   I just run it bone dry before storing and it starts up without a problem next season.   I have a big front lawn so when we get a big snow, I make a big igloo by making a crop circle around it.  Kids love it.

If you want to save some money, get a used Ariens if you can find one.

I'm pretty sure all snow blowers use Chinese-made engines now, but Ariens was the last to stop using USA built.

Some of the cheaper snow blowers use cheaper steel which will rust after 5 or so years.
This

I'd prefer an older one,  Throw a few hundred at it having someone give it a look over/tune up

The older ones are built like tanks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have an Ariens 24" Pro with a regular largish driveway in MN. 

Now I use a 50" Kubota that's front-mounted on my utility tractor for my 3/8 mile driveway. Both are awesome. 

Go Ariens if you can.  I had a Craftsman 5.5 HP 22" for about 15 years but it was underpowered.  Bought a used Lawn Boy 8 HP 24" for $200 last year and it is a huge improvement.  Have been lusting after Ariens for a while but never found a used one and could never justify the $.  

Got ahold of the consumer reports.  FBG's dead-on again.

1. Cub Cadet 30"

2. Troy Built 28" Vortex

3 Cub Cadet 30"

4. Ariens 921032 (30")

5. Craftsman 30"

6. Cub Cadet 26"

7. Ariens AX254  (The others above and mostly all of them have about 100 cc more)

Anyone have a snow blower mounted on the front of their lawn riding lawn mower?  Is it worth the investment/hassle or would a separate machine be better?  I do like that 30" Arians above.

I bought a craftsman 5 years ago and regret it, should've spent the extra money and gone ariens.

The winter we had 2 years ago in Buffalo ruined my craftsman.  It still works but I have to take it easy when we get a heavy wet snow.

Ariens wins for the walk behind. I have a 48" 2 stage I hang off the front of my garden tractor. A walk behind would be nice for clearing narrower paths tho.

Anyone have a snow blower mounted on the front of their lawn riding lawn mower?  Is it worth the investment/hassle or would a separate machine be better?  I do like that 30" Arians above.
      On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 6:33 PM, johnnyrock62000 said:

I used to have an Ariens 24" Pro with a regular largish driveway in MN. 

Now I use a 50" Kubota that's front-mounted on my utility tractor for my 3/8 mile driveway. Both are awesome. 
That's what I'm using too.  Works great.

I looked into it. Turns out the mowers/tractors don't have the power to plow very well. Wheels will spin and then you're going down other roads and spending even more time and money. 

I bought a craftsman 5 years ago and regret it, should've spent the extra money and gone ariens.

The winter we had 2 years ago in Buffalo ruined my craftsman.  It still works but I have to take it easy when we get a heavy wet snow.
What's wrong with it?  Could it be a shear pin?

Whats the best place to buy a snowblower?  will it be cheaper online like on Amazon?  I kind of want to see them in person first though.

Whats the best place to buy a snowblower?  will it be cheaper online like on Amazon?  I kind of want to see them in person first though.
I would advise checking locally for a "power equipment" sort of store.  I would imagine there would be at least one around.  The best place for things like this or chain saws or lawn mowers.  Yes, you'll pay more but you'll get a much better product.

IMHO, of course.

If you have a blower and a little DIY blood in you, put an impeller kit on it.  Just google "Snow blower impeller kit," for details.  I put one on my Frankenstein blower and it made a world of difference, especially in wet snow and slush.

:thumbup:

I posted earlier in this thread about my hack-job snow blower - I made a DIY impeller kit with some baler belt from Tractor Supply and some screws.  Probably cost me $20 and an hour of my time, and it without a doubt made my blower go from good to awesome.  I don't have a video, but I have a photo my wife took of me clearing the driveway after the NJ blizzard this year.  Blower has to be shooting snow 15-20 feet. 

I have two Ariens--one in Chicago and one in Utah.  Both were purchased ~5 years ago.  The only issue I've experienced is with the turning mechanism on the throw chute.  In cold weather (5 or lower in Fahrenheit), the chute will not lock in place and I have to hold it with one of my hands.  They've since changed the design so I guess it should be better.
Think I'd find a place with a shorter driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread