What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Snow blower/thrower shopping - What ya got? (1 Viewer)

Has anyone put on one of the impeller kits

I have a craftsman that is struggling to push any snow at the end of the driveway (plow drop.) Thing chokes out any time I get close. By all accounts, these impeller kits can make a huge difference. Just wondering if anyone has had luck with them.
FatNick swears by it.  

The first firing up of the blower is always a little nerve racking.  It takes a bit for her to get going.   Always fear that this is the year that the carb bites it and I have to take it to the shop.

FatNick swears by it.  

The first firing up of the blower is always a little nerve racking.  It takes a bit for her to get going.   Always fear that this is the year that the carb bites it and I have to take it to the shop.
I have a feeling I need a new carb as well. Was just looking online. Put a new transmission on last year, so I may try to tackle the carb myself as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a feeling I need a new carb as well. Was just looking online. Put a new transmission on last year, so I may try to tackle the carb myself as well.
I was referring more to having bad fuel in the carb so needing to have it taken apart and dried out.  I've done that with my leaf blower but not with the snow blower.   I've got two blowers in my life and the wife ain't one of them. The 2nd winter I had her, I had the shop do it, but since then I've been burning off all the fuel at the end of the season and I haven't had any problems.   

just the end of the season.  keeps the carburetor from crapping out with old gas.   
Yeah, I emptied mine last year, but then like an idiot I kept the old gas around in the can and figured it would be fine with Seafoam in it. Now I've got all this old gas in there, and it's been a ##### to start every time. I think I'm going to just let all the old gas run out on idle. That's got to be the problem.

I'm wearing shorts playing golf at Pelican Hill in Newport Coast tomorrow. 70. Might be a bit chilly. I'm a wuss compared to you guys. Flying to MN Tues morning. Dreading it already.  

Yep - I'm on Long Island.

And yes, the xtra $$$ is well worth it - thing will last forever. I've had mine for 12+ years and it still kicks ###.
We had an Arians from 1977 that I finally gave away in 2010ish.  That thing was a beast and weighed as much.  It had chains on the tires and carburetor issues, but it got us through many storms.  We have a Craftsman now and it's ok.  It's not made as well as the old ones.  The metal bends easy, pins are constantly snapping, and the electric starter stopped working by the time I got it home it seemed.  It does the job though.  I'm wordering if we will get any snow this year looking at the current pattern.  Sheik?

We had an Arians from 1977 that I finally gave away in 2010ish.  That thing was a beast and weighed as much.  It had chains on the tires and carburetor issues, but it got us through many storms.  We have a Craftsman now and it's ok.  It's not made as well as the old ones.  The metal bends easy, pins are constantly snapping, and the electric starter stopped working by the time I got it home it seemed.  It does the job though.  I'm wordering if we will get any snow this year looking at the current pattern.  Sheik?
I've had nothing but issues with my Craftsman, but I've vowed to learn as much as I can about repairing and replacing to keep it running. So far so good. Sunday morning was -3F here. Fired it up and it ran the best I've seen it in a long time. Nice to get in and out without much issue in that weather.

I'm wearing shorts playing golf at Pelican Hill in Newport Coast tomorrow. 70. Might be a bit chilly. I'm a wuss compared to you guys. Flying to MN Tues morning. Dreading it already.  
Tuesday will be a heat wave - in the 30s. You missed all the fun. It was 26 below on Saturday night. Actual air temp.

Why not get a lawn tractor with a blade?
I have one but it doesn't really do a great job.  You end up having to go out multiple times during big storms and it only pushes the snow to the side so on big storms the snow really piles up.  End of the day, it is just easier to snow blow the whole thing.

I have one but it doesn't really do a great job.  You end up having to go out multiple times during big storms and it only pushes the snow to the side so on big storms the snow really piles up.  End of the day, it is just easier to snow blow the whole thing.
After a quick check it looks like some have actual blower attachments, instead of just the blades.

When it comes to snowblowers think HAT: Honda / Ariens / Toro. 

Get a used Ariens. I have a 25 year old 824 and thing kicks ###, very reliable, easy parts if you need them. My local shop won't work on Craftsmen / other, they are HAT only. 

Also know that the Ariens you get at the Depot and the one at your local hardware store are very different. HD gets special models where they cheap out left and right, and the kids putting it together don't know how to properly build them. 
Got the Ariens out the other day first time since last year.  Filled it with gas, opened choke, a couple of pumps on the primer, and it fired up with three pulls.

Boy that felt good...  It's a beautiful thing to own a well-designed machine

Yeah, I emptied mine last year, but then like an idiot I kept the old gas around in the can and figured it would be fine with Seafoam in it. Now I've got all this old gas in there, and it's been a ##### to start every time. I think I'm going to just let all the old gas run out on idle. That's got to be the problem.
What I do:

toward the end of season, start only topping the gas up to half full.  Easy enough to add more if you run low.  Once it is truly end of season (say April) I run the tank out on idle.  Then pull the sparkplug, add a tablespoon of oil to the cylinder and a capfull of stabilizer to the gas tank (don't get that backward), and give it a pull or two to turn it over.  Replace plug, put it away for the year.

Meantime, take whatever gas you have left and add it to your car.  Don't let gas hang around for more than a month or two.

If you want to save some money, get a used Ariens if you can find one.

I'm pretty sure all snow blowers use Chinese-made engines now, but Ariens was the last to stop using USA built.

Some of the cheaper snow blowers use cheaper steel which will rust after 5 or so years.
Found a used Ariens on Craigslist near me.....1986 model for $450.    Thoughts on good buy or no?

Description given:

8HP, 24" Airens snow blower. 1986 vintage. Shows very little use.
It is pull start, I can add electric start for another $75.
Just replaced the fuel line and cleaned the carburetor.
Runs well and really throws the snow.
Nice heavy gauge steel, built to last.

Found a used Ariens on Craigslist near me.....1986 model for $450.    Thoughts on good buy or no?

Description given:

8HP, 24" Airens snow blower. 1986 vintage. Shows very little use.
It is pull start, I can add electric start for another $75.
Just replaced the fuel line and cleaned the carburetor.
Runs well and really throws the snow.
Nice heavy gauge steel, built to last.
Seems a bit high for a machine that is 30 years old.

What I do:

toward the end of season, start only topping the gas up to half full.  Easy enough to add more if you run low.  Once it is truly end of season (say April) I run the tank out on idle.  Then pull the sparkplug, add a tablespoon of oil to the cylinder and a capfull of stabilizer to the gas tank (don't get that backward), and give it a pull or two to turn it over.  Replace plug, put it away for the year.

Meantime, take whatever gas you have left and add it to your car.  Don't let gas hang around for more than a month or two.
Another option is to either use, or install a fuel cut-off valve.  Like THIS .  My blower engine came with one.  If you don't want to limit your fuel or risk having to idle out a lot, just get one of these switches, and after you're done each time, simply turn the valve to "off" and let it run out.  It'll essentially burn up all the fuel downstream of the switch, ensuring your carb bowl is mostly empty.  I use Stabil Marine in all my small engine gas, so whats in the tank never gives me issues the next year, especially if I top it off with fresh stuff before the starting it. 

Same concept, just another way to do it if you don't want to run the tank dry.

Seems a bit high for a machine that is 30 years old.
Yeah - I agree.  Only a 24" too...I could see that price for a bigger one.  I could see $250, maybe $300 if it's in really good shape.  The mechanics of it will be better than most newer ones, but the newer engines are better IMO.

A few years ago, there was  guy giving away one like this on Freecycle near me.  If you're patient, I think you can find one for a lot less.

I replied less than 20 minutes after he posted telling him I'd come get it, and he said he'd had 10 people reply and 2 were literally racing to his place to get it.

Yeah - I agree.  Only a 24" too...I could see that price for a bigger one.  I could see $250, maybe $300 if it's in really good shape.  The mechanics of it will be better than most newer ones, but the newer engines are better IMO.

A few years ago, there was  guy giving away one like this on Freecycle near me.  If you're patient, I think you can find one for a lot less.

I replied less than 20 minutes after he posted telling him I'd come get it, and he said he'd had 10 people reply and 2 were literally racing to his place to get it.
I was trying to gauge what I'd pay for it but couldn't come up with a price that I would pay. I got a new 24" Sno-Tek by Ariens (Ariens house brand, generic or whatever you call it) for 450. It's has a Chinese engine when Ariens were still using US built, but that's the only major difference that I could tell. I'm sure there are other differences in terms of gauge of metal and such but I can't tell. I've had it for 4 or 5 seasons now and it's been awesome, handles anything the Chicago winter throw at me.

I have a 48" 2 stage i put on my 26hp tractor. :D  

For a walk behind a 24" 2 stage (Ariens is the king here) with tank treads would be my choice if I were to get another to augment the tractor mounted unit.

I have a craftsman that is struggling to push any snow at the end of the driveway (plow drop.) Thing chokes out any time I get close. By all accounts, these impeller kits can make a huge difference. Just wondering if anyone has had luck with them.
Sorry I just now saw this, but I see others commented - yes.  I've got a Craftsman that I cobbled together with random stuff (free blower with a bad engine, then added a Harbor Freight engine, then added some mini-bike tuning parts and a new carb jet, and the impeller kit)  that is a complete beast, mostly due to the impeller kit.  You don't have to buy a kit.  Just go buy some metal plate, some nuts/bolt, washers, and some bailer belt from Tractor Supply.  You can make the same thing for about $14 in parts, and have plenty of belt left over in case you need it.  The hardest part is drilling through the impeller. It's just tight confines to work in.  If you can pull the housing, it should be a lot easier, but I was lazy. 

The impeller kit basically keeps your impeller housing nice and clean.  It'll increase your throw distance for slush easily 50%, if not double.  You don't notice a huge difference in powdery stuff, but that's rarely an issue for blowers anyway.  It's the slushy stuff that will mess up a non-kitted blower.

I put new belts on my Craftsman and it helped a lot with the heavy snow.  It's still not an Aries but it does get thru the heavy stuff the plow leaves at the end of the driveway.

Success!!  This thing is awesome.  Just blows through snow.  Neighbors were flaging me down, i was a boss on my block!  :D I have the ariens 28inch 2 stage blower.  Its almost too big honestly.  Can be pretty difficult to maneuver at times.  But worth it as it destroyed the snow bank(i live on a busy street). 

Question.  Other then turning it off, do i need to do anything else?  I know at the end of the season to burn off any remaining fuel.  Any thing else i should do after using it? 

Park your snow blower on cardboard or a tarp. To prevent a rust mark on your garage floor. Once it's a couple seasons old, and assuming it's not aluminum.

More on topic...my Craftsman 2 stage is probably 15 years old now and starts on the first or second pull. All I do is run it dry in the spring. No other maintenance.

Park your snow blower on cardboard or a tarp. To prevent a rust mark on your garage floor. Once it's a couple seasons old, and assuming it's not aluminum.

More on topic...my Craftsman 2 stage is probably 15 years old now and starts on the first or second pull. All I do is run it dry in the spring. No other maintenance.
thanks very helpful.  I did notice i had some snow stuck in the blades and figured it would melt.  hadnt thought about rust mark.  Ill go throw some cardboard under it.  

What about changing the oil?  how often are folks doing that?

thanks very helpful.  I did notice i had some snow stuck in the blades and figured it would melt.  hadnt thought about rust mark.  Ill go throw some cardboard under it.  

What about changing the oil?  how often are folks doing that?
Change the oil once a year if you use it fairly regularly. 

Grease the zerks on the augers. 

Buy extra shear pins. 

Use only a broom handle or some other device to free a clogged chute, even if the engine conks out and is off. 

House I'm buying has a Craftsman 26" 208cc (8HP) snowblower in their garage.  Looks to be about 5 yrs old.  I inquired asking if they were interested in selling and he said "make me an offer"

Assuming all runs well, what would be a good offer that would get him interested, but still get me a good deal?

House I'm buying has a Craftsman 26" 208cc (8HP) snowblower in their garage.  Looks to be about 5 yrs old.  I inquired asking if they were interested in selling and he said "make me an offer"

Assuming all runs well, what would be a good offer that would get him interested, but still get me a good deal?
Brand new this ran around $900-$1,000

I'd offer about $300

If he's moving someplace warm - $200

Used it once this winter. Probably a chance we get hit in march but who knows. 

Just run it dry for spring shed storage?  I have a can full of gas now too that has been sitting sonce January. Can i put that in my car or what?

Used it once this winter. Probably a chance we get hit in march but who knows. 

Just run it dry for spring shed storage?  I have a can full of gas now too that has been sitting sonce January. Can i put that in my car or what?
Run it dry.

Put stabil in the gas it will last to next year.

Looks like the blower is gonna get some work tomorrow in R.I.  3-6 inches expected. The worst part is it looks like five days of temps under freezing to follow. Im in no mood.

Just saw the thread and realized it doesn't look like mine will get any action this season. I think I'll fire it up this weekend and do a few laps around the driveway just to get the fluids moving. Maybe I'll don a full snowsuit and ski goggles for the full effect.

Just saw the thread and realized it doesn't look like mine will get any action this season. I think I'll fire it up this weekend and do a few laps around the driveway just to get the fluids moving. Maybe I'll don a full snowsuit and ski goggles for the full effect.
I used mine once. We got maybe 4 inches, and it was melting, but ### ####it i was determined to try it out!

I used mine once. We got maybe 4 inches, and it was melting, but ### ####it i was determined to try it out!
Same here - I was glad I got to at least get it out and use it once, if nothing else just to run some fresh gas through it so it's good till next winter.  I need to do an oil change in the spring, and the drive belt keeps slipping off, so I have to find out how to tighten that thing up. 

The only time my snow blower doesn't work is if it's all slush.  It gets too heavy to really throw it.

But I also notice I've lost some pwer over the years.  Think it needs a tune up or something

Thank goodness for this snowblower.  Handled this heavy snow like a boss.  Destroyed the snowbank as well.  Very happy with my purchase :thumbup:

Took it down like a champ! :thumbup:  
Yea.  Initially, i thought i bought a bigger snow blower than i need.  But im on a busy road so the snow banks are brutal.  I had to do two of my neighbors snow banks because their snowblowers couldnt make a dent on it.  This thing is a beast(Arians 28" btw)

Users who are viewing this thread