What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So...kidney stones. Those things suck amiright? (1 Viewer)

TheDirtyWord

Footballguy
Since the average demographic in this place seems to be middle aged men...last night fell victim to my first one of these.

Whoo boy...not fun.  Felt like being kicked in the nuts but all the time.  And because your lower back feels left out, it was like ‘hold my beer’.

So for those who’ve had one, did you make any changes to diet to prevent recurrence?  Tips/tricks to not having to deal with this again?

Previous thread

The first time I got kidney stones, I changed my diet and made a conscious effort to drink more water. Still ended up getting another kidney stone a couple years later.

It's the worst pain I've ever experienced.

"due to a decrease in urine volume"

I swear I pee out twice what I drink, so hopefully all that time wasted at the urinal is me paying (peeing) myself forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t drink soda anymore...I pretty much do stick to water/coffee.  Reading that coffee isn’t the greatest and one of my favorite snacks are nuts.  But you read stuff online and it’s like 642 foods to avoid to prevent kidney stones.

Getting the sense that this is one of my Andy Dufresne ‘this stuffs just floating around out there and has to land on somebody’ things.  Hoping it’s a one time only exercise.

I've had this happen to me twice now.  Both times, for me, I'm fairly certain I let myself get dehydrated because both times I had been working outside (a lot), not drinking water (or anything) and I was extremely focused on getting my task completed (I'm pretty sure both times it was mulching, planting, outside yard work) but the bad part is, both times, it didn't hit me until around midnight. 

The first time, I knew what it was but I thought if I went to the ER they would give me something or do something to make the stone/pain/issue go away but they did not. I go into the ER, I said "I'm 99% certain I have a kidney stone."  So what did we do?  They jerk around for 4.5 hours, I was never given anything for pain, had an x-ray done (yep it's a kidney stone) and they gave me flomax and said "you'll pass it in a week or two."  About 3.5 weeks later I passed it, it was freaking gigantic, how it didn't get stuck is beyond me. I was writhing in pain for about 8 hours.

The second time, same thing, working outside, I got dehydrated, midnight rolls around and I told my wife "I'm going to suck it up and deal with it."  That one was much worse, I was in horrible pain for about 14 hours (crying like a baby in pain at times) and the bad part is that the pain came in waves.  So I would go level 3-4 to level 10 then back to level 3-4 and back to 10 again the entire time.  At about 2:00 p.m., I bounced up, got a shower and I felt fine just like the first one.  I passed that one about 3.5 weeks later again, not as big as the first one but still pretty good sized.

Is it recommended to take flomax from time to time to possibly break apart small stones that might be forming into 12 hour painfull stones

I've had this happen to me twice now.  Both times, for me, I'm fairly certain I let myself get dehydrated because both times I had been working outside (a lot), not drinking water (or anything) and I was extremely focused on getting my task completed (I'm pretty sure both times it was mulching, planting, outside yard work) but the bad part is, both times, it didn't hit me until around midnight. 

The first time, I knew what it was but I thought if I went to the ER they would give me something or do something to make the stone/pain/issue go away but they did not. I go into the ER, I said "I'm 99% certain I have a kidney stone."  So what did we do?  They jerk around for 4.5 hours, I was never given anything for pain, had an x-ray done (yep it's a kidney stone) and they gave me flomax and said "you'll pass it in a week or two."  About 3.5 weeks later I passed it, it was freaking gigantic, how it didn't get stuck is beyond me. I was writhing in pain for about 8 hours.

The second time, same thing, working outside, I got dehydrated, midnight rolls around and I told my wife "I'm going to suck it up and deal with it."  That one was much worse, I was in horrible pain for about 14 hours (crying like a baby in pain at times) and the bad part is that the pain came in waves.  So I would go level 3-4 to level 10 then back to level 3-4 and back to 10 again the entire time.  At about 2:00 p.m., I bounced up, got a shower and I felt fine just like the first one.  I passed that one about 3.5 weeks later again, not as big as the first one but still pretty good sized.
That sucks...at least they gave me an IV painkiller.  Godsend.

I've passed 3 in the last 10 years.   The.  Worst.  

Anything north of your sack and south of your nipples feels like it's going through a meat grinder and doesn't stop until you get a morphine / diluaded IV.  

Drink a lot of water.   don't stop.  Then when you're done, drink more water.   

... I went to the ER ...  So what did we do?  They jerk around for 4.5 hours, I was never given anything for pain, had an x-ray done (yep it's a kidney stone) and they gave me flomax and said "you'll pass it in a week or two." 

Time to implode that building IMO.  wtf?   horrible.  

I strongly recommend keeping some Oxycontin or Vicodin on hand if you are prone to getting kidney stones. You'll be able to make it through that "level 10 wave of pain" with relative ease.

I had an 11mm one several years ago.  They had to go in and break it up and remove the larger pieces left.  My spray pattern is noticeably different 

Joe Summer said:
I strongly recommend keeping some Oxycontin or Vicodin on hand if you are prone to getting kidney stones. You'll be able to make it through that "level 10 wave of pain" with relative ease.
After passing my 3rd one recently the Dr. in the ER gave me some Oxy to take home for this very reason. 

Knock on wood I never have another, just reading this thread is giving me flashbacks  :(

Jeez I'm really afraid of getting one of these now after reading all this. I don't drink much water and just got over an episode of heat exhaustion (I think) that kept me out of commission for 3 days. Approaching 56 and have never had a kidney stone but now I'm gonna worry about them all the time. I also had two instances of what was likely gout in each of my feet last year. Those were very painful too, just the feel of a blanket on foot was very painful. No idea if gout has any connection to kidney stones.

Gout and kidney stones are caused by the same root problem -- too much uric acid.

If you ever got gout, then you're at a much higher risk to get kidney stones someday.

AhrnCityPahnder said:
I've passed 3 in the last 10 years.   The.  Worst.  

Anything north of your sack and south of your nipples feels like it's going through a meat grinder and doesn't stop until you get a morphine / diluaded IV.  

Drink a lot of water.   don't stop.  Then when you're done, drink more water.   
Crazy how good that IV painkiller was.  Not only did the pain go away almost instantly, you got that loopy tingly feeling to boot.  Only good thing about the night.

It wore off as I’m walking out of the hospital...

I had an 11mm one several years ago.  They had to go in and break it up and remove the larger pieces left.  My spray pattern is noticeably different 
I have a buddy who had to do that.  He said he was literally lying in the ER waiting room floor crying.  I’ll ask about his spray pattern.

At one point about 5 years ago I was having bad acid reflux at night and was popping Tums like they were candy.  I'm talking 3-4 every night for weeks on end.  That went away, but because of the high concentrations of calcium in the Tums, I got some "minor" stone action.  It felt like someone was stabbing me in the lower side/back (kidney area, duh).  At first it was mild but then it just kicked my ####.  And I have a pretty high pain tolerance, or so I believe...

Anyways, I looked up some homeopathic remedies and wouldn't ya know it... drinking apple cider vinegar cured me.  I would have a couple of "shots" mixed with regular apple juice or another "mixer".  I was consistently drinking that stuff for a week or so, and the stones pain went away.  I guess they just dissolved.

So, moral of the story... try apple cider vinegar.

At one point about 5 years ago I was having bad acid reflux at night and was popping Tums like they were candy.  I'm talking 3-4 every night for weeks on end.  That went away, but because of the high concentrations of calcium in the Tums, I got some "minor" stone action.  It felt like someone was stabbing me in the lower side/back (kidney area, duh).  At first it was mild but then it just kicked my ####.  And I have a pretty high pain tolerance, or so I believe...

Anyways, I looked up some homeopathic remedies and wouldn't ya know it... drinking apple cider vinegar cured me.  I would have a couple of "shots" mixed with regular apple juice or another "mixer".  I was consistently drinking that stuff for a week or so, and the stones pain went away.  I guess they just dissolved.

So, moral of the story... try apple cider vinegar.
:thumbup:

Gout and kidney stones are caused by the same root problem -- too much uric acid.

If you ever got gout, then you're at a much higher risk to get kidney stones someday.
Wonderful. Figured this might be the case. When I mentioned the gout at my last physical (I was guessing and the PA agreed based on symptoms) I was sent for blood test so they could measure my uric acid levels. Never found out results.

I drink A LOT more water.  That kind of pain is just indescribable.  Throwing up while someone is kicking you in the balls while another guy is stabbing you in the back.  I lasted about an hour before I went to the hospital.  Just told my wife to call an ambulance.  I wasn’t going to move.  I had nothing left at that point.

Worst pain I have ever had in my life.  Had one 7 years ago.  I stopped drinking soda and drink a lot of water and lemonade.  I was told lemonade helps break up the stones.  So far so good.

I have a buddy who had to do that.  He said he was literally lying in the ER waiting room floor crying.  I’ll ask about his spray pattern.
I was basically doing the same, but that is still #2 on my worst painful moment.  #1 being when i herniated three disks and laid on the ground crying for 6 hours unable to move the 20 ft to my cell to call for help.  

Only in some cases. More often, stones are made from calcium oxalate rather than uric acid.

I've been having stones for nearly 20 years. Passed a dozen of them and had two that were two large to pass broken up using ultrasound shock waves. I found the first one was the only one of that ones that passed that was excruciating pain. That one seemed to loosen up the ureter, the tube between the kidney and the bladder where the pain comes because it is smaller than the urethra, or the tube out. Different people say to cut out different things to prevent them, but most of those aren't backed up by science. The lack of medical progress on kidney stones is pretty frustrating. The best thing you can do to prevent them is drink a lot of water. I really don't mind having them now, as long as they pass. I don't even go to the doctor if I have one moving. I just take an advil and drink water until it passes. What's bothersome is when they don't pass and keep growing until they are huge. The last one I got broken up was 2.4cm. 

Post-script to my first kidney stone.

After the first episode in late July, for the most part, no pain.  I had a procedure, a lithotripsy, scheduled, but even though I hadn’t seen the stone pass, no symptoms and figured ‘maybe I missed it’.

Bad idea...no sooner than I cancelled the procedure, I’m back in the ER.  Different type of pain...namely, it felt like my bladder was full non-stop.  Different type of pain...inclusive of screwing with your head.  So procedure back on the calendar.  The lithotripsy essentially breaks up your kidney stone into many smaller kidney stones so they’re easier to pass.

I have that two weeks ago, but it’s determined due to the amount of inflammation I have ‘down there’ that I’ll need a stent inserted to make the passage of these broken up stones go more smoothly.  The undesired side effects of the stent are 1) your piss is now mostly blood 2) you experience these ‘pin #####’ type sensations in and around ‘the area’ and 3) activity produces more irritation.  I’m not just talking exercise...I’m talking walking around your house.

Yesterday was stent removal day (phew...but).  So when you have the lithotripsy, you are under anesthesia.  So the stent is inserted while you’re under.  Well, when they remove it, you’re not.  I’ll spare you the details, you can choose to use your imagination if you’re so inclined, but let’s just say those 2-3 minutes will rank amongst the most uncomfortable of my life.

But 24 hours later, feeling good and hoping that the issue has been put to bed...at least this particular one.

But keep drinking water all...hasn’t been fun.

After the first episode in late July, for the most part, no pain.  I had a procedure, a lithotripsy, scheduled, but even though I hadn’t seen the stone pass, no symptoms and figured ‘maybe I missed it’.

Bad idea...no sooner than I cancelled the procedure, I’m back in the ER.  Different type of pain...namely, it felt like my bladder was full non-stop.  Different type of pain...inclusive of screwing with your head.  So procedure back on the calendar.  The lithotripsy essentially breaks up your kidney stone into many smaller kidney stones so they’re easier to pass.

I have that two weeks ago, but it’s determined due to the amount of inflammation I have ‘down there’ that I’ll need a stent inserted to make the passage of these broken up stones go more smoothly.  The undesired side effects of the stent are 1) your piss is now mostly blood 2) you experience these ‘pin #####’ type sensations in and around ‘the area’ and 3) activity produces more irritation.  I’m not just talking exercise...I’m talking walking around your house.

Yesterday was stent removal day (phew...but).  So when you have the lithotripsy, you are under anesthesia.  So the stent is inserted while you’re under.  Well, when they remove it, you’re not.  I’ll spare you the details, you can choose to use your imagination if you’re so inclined, but let’s just say those 2-3 minutes will rank amongst the most uncomfortable of my life.

But 24 hours later, feeling good and hoping that the issue has been put to bed...at least this particular one.

My wife had the stent earlier this year and it was as bad as the stones. Pretty miserable 3 weeks for her too. 

Since the average demographic in this place seems to be middle aged men...last night fell victim to my first one of these.

Whoo boy...not fun.  Felt like being kicked in the nuts but all the time.  And because your lower back feels left out, it was like ‘hold my beer’.

So for those who’ve had one, did you make any changes to diet to prevent recurrence?  Tips/tricks to not having to deal with this again?
Stop drinking sodas.  

Pretty much my experience.  But you didn't mention the pressure from having all that liquid being backed up.

Worst thread in history of this place 
Probably 

Had one last night, and it was a LOT smaller than ones mentioned upthread. Felt discomfort as I walked through the Oculus last night. Swiped my MetroCard to go to the subway & halfway up a short fight of stairs I was hit with excruciating pain in lower back, #### & my manhood. Was texting / callling friends like crazy. Finally found one 5 minute walk way, and as luck would have it, he is an ER nurse.

As soon as he got to me he knew what was wrong with me. Uber to ER, IV to rehydrate, second for pain killer that put me in la la land.

I’m fine today. But that was brutal.

Had a bunch of them with varying degrees of pain. 

Doctor's analogy to me was 'like putting a bowling ball through a straw'.  Yeah - ouch!

I've had two.  I'm pretty sure I described them in the other thread.  Anywho, I thought I was having a third as pain in my lower back started to occur.  Ended up being sciatica.  That pain was pretty comparable to the kidney stone pain.  And both pains were horrible.  I know, I know, try giving birth.

Bob Loblaw said:
I've had two.  I'm pretty sure I described them in the other thread.  Anywho, I thought I was having a third as pain in my lower back started to occur.  Ended up being sciatica.  That pain was pretty comparable to the kidney stone pain.  And both pains were horrible.  I know, I know, try giving birth.
Sciatic nerve pain is no joke, drops you to your instantly. But thankfully my back issues have been sporadic not chronic.

At 56 I’ve had zero surgeries & never had an overnight stay in the hospital, i.e., no reason to complain. I dropped 25-30 pounds this year, now 5 over my college weight.

I am in awe of folks who contend [with] chronic pain or long term illness with grace. I’ve spent a lot of time in oncology wards the last few years as a visitor and I’m pretty sure I’m on the wimpy wimp end of the pain tolerance continuum.

Users who are viewing this thread