What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So...The GF agreed to a "Rainbow Water Vacuum" Pitch.... (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
Jesus.

The GF agreed to let a former coworker come do a Rainbow Water Vacuum demo in our home on Friday night.

Lady claims 1 hour.
Lady claims she knows we won't buy and we can just say no .

Everything online else says they run TWO HOURS and they are crazy pushy, will talk **** about your vacuum, etc.

I've made it clear we are leaving at one hour mark and if this ***** gets rude/pushy I'm gonna have some fun with it.

Shtick suggestions welcome 😂

My GF did the same thing to me. Told me she wanted me there to help say No. The appointment pitch was you get a free case of Pepsi just for listening with no obligation to buy. The sales lady comes over, gives us the case of Pepsi, and goes through her demo. At one point, she has the GF vacuum a patch of carpet ten times and raise her hand and swear that the carpet is clean. Then vacuums with her magic water vac, opens it up afterward and sure enough, there's dirt floating on top. At the end (about an hour) the GF turns to me "What do you think?" And I go "I think it's great vacuum but it's totally your call." and got up and walked out.

I signed up last thanksgiving for a timeshare presentation. It included a free night at a nice condo and 2 free days at an indoor waterpark. It was totally worth it and i wish i could find a deal like that again.

We had to sit through 1 hour of fluff and then 1 hour of the salesman berating us, but who cares. The deal was too good to pass up.

At one point, she has the GF vacuum a patch of carpet ten times and raise her hand and swear that the carpet is clean. Then vacuums with her magic water vac, opens it up afterward and sure enough, there's dirt floating on top.

If they pull this tactic, I'd ask them to vacuum another patch with the fancy one once first (because who vacuums the same spot ten times) and then let me vacuum with my old one. If the old one is even halfway decent, chances are it'll pick up some dirt that the fancy one didn't. Then I'd act shocked that your old one is better.

I thought Kirby was notorious for that.
I do have to say that those Kirby's are indestructible. My wife and I have been together for over 30 years and she had that thing before we got married. I'm guessing her mom had bought it at some point and handed it over when my wife moved to college or her first real job. Other than having to buy vacuum bags and a belt every 15 years, it's been great. And it sucks. It REALLY sucks.

Jesus.

The GF agreed to let a former coworker come do a Rainbow Water Vacuum demo in our home on Friday night.

Lady claims 1 hour.

Everything online else says they run TWO HOURS and they are crazy pushy, will talk **** about your vacuum, etc.

I've made it clear we are leaving at one hour mark and if this ***** gets rude/pushy I'm gonna have some fun with it.

Dude, run away or demand services from the wife before. Those things are awful.

I cannot believe they're still in business in 2022!!! So back in like 1988, I came home from college (I lived in a small town of about 5,000) and summer jobs were hard to come by. Anyway, I answered an ad in the local newspaper for a job that promised something like double minimum wage so I was excited for the interview. So, I show up and there's a HUGE line of people at this office. We go through this whole interview process (fill out questions, fill out an application, interview with a hiring manager, HR, etc.) This interview started at 8:00 AM and after each step I was told "okay, we like what we see in you, will you please stick around for the next phase?" And we went from about 100 people to like 15 at the end of it so I'm thinking "holy crap, I've landed this great job working at this water purification facility, this is awesome!" I assumed the water purification factory was down the road, around the corner, offsite somewhere, etc. I honestly thought I would be working an hourly job in a factory somewhere.

So, I mean, after like 5 hours of this I'm tired, I'm hungry, I'm worn down, it's summer and I'm hot (ac was not working in the office) so I'm drenched in sweat as it's 1988 so I'm wearing a suit and tie. Eventually they stick the 15 of us "candidates" in this big conference room and they let us know we passed all the tests and we were the lucky ones selected for this amazing opportunity. Then they rolled out the amazing Rainbow Water Purification system and to my shock and horror I discover it's a F-ING vacuum cleaner. . . The only way I can describe my feelings are that I felt EXACTLY like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story." At this point, after they rolled out the vacuum cleaner, about 1/2 the people in the room walked out and the demonstration lasted like 2 hours and at any point I could have walked out but I did not. I did not walk out of that F-ing sales pitch because I desperately wanted to tell that hiring manager "hey A-HOLE, thank you so much for WASTING my time for a glorified vacuum cleaner salesman job!"

So, I waited my turn to be called in to talk to the manager (which took like another hour or so) and I did exactly that. After I got done with my tirade the guy pulls out my resume, looks it over and he said "it says here you're going to college, what are you majoring in?" I said "Computer Science." He said "you know what? that sounds HORRIBLE to me, I cannot imagine anything more boring than sitting in an office all day sitting behind a keyboard." "You can come in here and yell at me all you want but I'll be out there enjoying the fresh air, selling our amazing water purification systems and rolling in the big bucks while you're still paying off your student loans, you think about that and your fancy degree buddy!" After that I just walked out and I thought "damnit, I could have left 3 hours ago, I should have walked out when I had the chance." And, by the way, back in the 80's those damn things were like $1,500 when a really good vacuum cleaner ran like maybe $150 and a commercial Hoover ran like maybe $300-$400. How in the hell could I sell $1,500 vacuum cleaners to people that drove cars that didn't cost that much? Nuts!

I still vividly remember my mom getting suckered into this when I was a kid. I was probably 9, so probably 30 years ago. I was home sick from school. It was pure entertainment for at least 2 hours. Mom was such a sucker. She kept calling my dad and explaining how nice this thing was and how our current vacuum appeared to be **** now.

It was great. Mom was won over, but we had to wait for dad to come home and see for himself (and bring the money). Guy stayed at our house the entire afternoon. I think I even agreed to start cleaning the house with it because it was so cool.

Not long after everyone in the house was bitching about having to dump the dirty water. Dad would fuss because I'd dump it in the driveway. It was so nasty.

No idea what they paid for it, but they held on to it for a long time.

My now Ex wife did the same thing for a kirby or some such nonsense - Let my friend's kid come over and pitch this... it will be good practice for him... of course we ended up with one and it sucked.....
Shtick - ask about the sex toy attachments; tell her when she walks in she has 1 hour and start a timer that she can see - and it has to be 1 hour as you have "dinner plans"; tell her she can stay but you are leaving after an hour whether she is finished or not.......... yes, leave your own house; Ask if can just clean your house for free or keep saying, I don't understand, how does this work? - show me again, .. but over here.. and over here.. and over there.. and get the whole house cleaned and then tell her - well now that the high traffic areas are clean I don't really one of these, do I ?

My parents bought a Rainbow back in the 80s, and I still use it to this day. It's a beast and the water filter is second to none.

Back in the day, my stepmom would sit the canister in the middle of the living room, without any of the vacuum attachments, and let it run as an air humidifier for an hour or so. She would pour a tablespoon of vanilla extract into the water and the whole house smelt amazing.

Is she part of the Sunshine Carpet Cleaners?
No, she was just sent over by [icon]'s mom who lives across the street and doesn't think the wife cleans the house very well. The wife will actually like it, and even find [icon] very attractive as he cleans the drapes with it, but everything will fall apart once she finds out it was all just another instance of the MIL butting into their lives.

Don't remember how but the new wife & I got sucked into a Rainbow demo in the early 80's. At the end we placed an order and handed over a deposit check. That night we decided even though the demo was great, we made a financial mistake (at the time the 2 of us combined made less than $350 a week). Called the next day to cancel. Didn't get any resistance but it would take a few days for the refund because our deposit check was "in processing". A couple weeks later we get the refund check which bounced. Probably took 2 months and a couple heated exchanges before getting the refund.

Jesus.

Lady claims 1 hour.

Dude, run away or demand services from the wife before. Those things are awful.
It's his gf. I assume they don't share finances. Seems to me this is one of those "I'm staying the hell out of this" situations.

I thought Kirby was notorious for that.
I do have to say that those Kirby's are indestructible. My wife and I have been together for over 30 years and she had that thing before we got married. I'm guessing her mom had bought it at some point and handed it over when my wife moved to college or her first real job. Other than having to buy vacuum bags and a belt every 15 years, it's been great. And it sucks. It REALLY sucks.
I knew a guy that sold Kirbys for a living. He did surprisingly okay. He'd basically go on sales trips for like a month (his sweet spot seemed to be like rural Montana, rural Nebraska, etc.) and he'd make enough money to take the next couple of months off then plan another trip when his funds got low.

My parents have a gently used one in their basement that they bought maybe 25 years ago. Used it for about a year and everyone got tired of the additional setps to fill/empty water just to quickly vacuum a room.

If you GF is ever in South Jerz and feels like searching through a cluttered basement I'm sure my P's would just give her a throwback Rainbow vacuum.

Just a thought, buy a garden hose and get a golf ball. Whoever accomplishes the task gets to stay.

Users who are viewing this thread