What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So whats the latest news on Kerry Collins? (1 Viewer)

The news is that Collins is a mediocre QB who the Ravens will not pay starter's money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Griese...

Brooks...

Collins...

Musical chairs with mediocre QBs. Of the three, I hope the Bears strongly consider Griese. After all, Kyle Orton needs a drinkin' buddy.

The beat writer for the Baltimore Sun reported yesterday that the Ravens are gambling that Steve McNair will be released before the current crop of FA QBs are signed. If McNair is released, they'll go after him. If not, Collins is still on the list. This obviously could backfire if Collins, Griese and Brooks all sign and then the Titans don't release McNair.

The beat writer for the Baltimore Sun reported yesterday that the Ravens are gambling that Steve McNair will be released before the current crop of FA QBs are signed. If McNair is released, they'll go after him. If not, Collins is still on the list. This obviously could backfire if Collins, Griese and Brooks all sign and then the Titans don't release McNair.
Didn't McNair just renegotiate for what amounts to a relatively cap-friendly one year deal with the Titans?

Didn't McNair just renegotiate for what amounts to a relatively cap-friendly one year deal with the Titans?
no

no
I thought McNair was working under a one-year deal??link:

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...itans030306.php

11-year veteran Steve McNair was expected by many to top the list of free agent quarterbacks for the 2006 offseason. Apparently, the crest of the Tennessee hierarchy wasn’t fond of the idea—bringing back "Air" McNair for another season.

For the Tennessee Titans, Thursday’s revision in McNair’s future contract seemed to be a win-win situation. With the alteration, the Titans will keep McNair under contract for one final season and free themselves from a $50 million bond that would have kept McNair under contract through 2009. To do so, team officials agreed on paying a $1 million non-exercise fee that will elevate McNair’s $9 million base salary to $10 million. However, subsequent to the end on the 2006 season, McNair will become an unrestricted free agent.

If the Titans had agreed to pay the $50 million bonus to McNair, he would have been guaranteed $11 million in 2007, $13 million in 2008, and $15 million for 2009. However, it was apparent that Tennessee would not exercise this option.

McNair, 33, was the co-MVP of the NFL in 2003 alongside Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts. In 2005, he completed 61.3 percent of his passes for 3,161 yards, 16 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions in 14 games of action.

Titans’ general manager Floyd Reese said they will continue to work with McNair and his agent Bus Cook in hopes of reaching a more salary cap-friendly deal.

On a side note, Tennessee has been busy reworking and releasing the contracts of several members of the team to eliminate an $18.7 cap hole. Already, left tackle Brad Hopkins was released, the option on quarterback Billy Volek was declined, and the contract of linebacker Peter Sirmon was adjusted. The team also saved themselves $4 million by reworking the contract of running back Travis Henry. The Titans should have no problem shaving the remaining $4 million or so of cap room off by the NFL’s new free agency deadline.

I don't know if he reworked his contract but what about if they drafted leinhart? I've heard that mcnair and Young are good friends and mcnair is for young to be a titan. would mcnair get pissed off enough to ask to be released if they took norm's boy over his?

McNair's option was picked up, negating his $50mil bonus, and ending his contract after the 2006 season.

The "restructuring" that the Titans want to do is to bring his $10mil cap number down to $2-3 mil, which they are still discussing with McNair and his agent.

Griese...

Brooks...

Collins...

Musical chairs with mediocre QBs. Of the three, I hope the Bears strongly consider Griese. After all, Kyle Orton needs a drinkin' buddy.
If it is soley a drinking buddy that you want for Orton I think Collins is your guy :D

McNair's option was picked up, negating his $50mil bonus, and ending his contract after the 2006 season.

The "restructuring" that the Titans want to do is to bring his $10mil cap number down to $2-3 mil, which they are still discussing with McNair and his agent.
Unless something changes (or it is getting reported incorrectly), McNair's cap number for this year will $23.46 million for this year.LINK

EDIT TO ADD: That was prior to the new CBA, so I'm not sure how that changes his cap number.

So is the consensus in this thread that Brooks is a better QB than Collins? That surprises me.
Brooks is more mobile, which translates to a better match for the few teams still in the market for a QB.I see Oakland as first in line for Brooks, since his skills match up better to the QB they are drafting. Less to change for year two, when Vince Young starts.

So is the consensus in this thread that Brooks is a better QB than Collins? That surprises me.
I usually hate using statistics in a comparision of two players, but I think its somewhat relevant here.Brooks' career(6 seasons):

1563  2771  56.4 19156   6.9 120  84 |   339  1413  13Collins' career(11 seasons):
Code:
2827  5082  55.6 33635   6.6 173 166 |   324   624   9
Just looking at the three key stats I think are important to QBs in the NFL, comp %, ypa and TD:INT ratio, Brooks has been the superior of the two.

Do I think Brooks' is a great NFL QB? No, but for all the crap he is given for making stupid decisions, he has had some very very good NFL seasons as a starter, and has alot more upside at this point in his career than does Collins(imo).

I usually hate using statistics in a comparision of two players, but I think its somewhat relevant here.Brooks' career(6 seasons):

1563  2771  56.4 19156   6.9 120  84 |   339  1413  13Collins' career(11 seasons):
Code:
2827  5082  55.6 33635   6.6 173 166 |   324   624   9
Just looking at the three key stats I think are important to QBs in the NFL, comp %, ypa and TD:INT ratio, Brooks has been the superior of the two.

Do I think Brooks' is a great NFL QB? No, but for all the crap he is given for making stupid decisions, he has had some very very good NFL seasons as a starter, and has alot more upside at this point in his career than does Collins(imo).
Brooks had good passing stats up until last year, but I think a better indication of his performance is the Saints extremely mediocre record over the past 5 years. Yeah, there were plenty of games where Brooks threw for 300 Yds, 2 TDs and 1 INT, but that INT always seemed to come at a crucial point late in the game. When the pressure was on Brooks made bad decisions and bad throws. When the game was out of hand Brooks would relax and put up great numbers. He doesn't have the swagger of a champion or a leader. Yes, he will put up nice fantasy numbers, but no, he will not put a team on his shoulders and lead them to victory.

Unless something changes (or it is getting reported incorrectly), McNair's cap number for this year will $23.46 million for this year.LINK

EDIT TO ADD: That was prior to the new CBA, so I'm not sure how that changes his cap number.
:shock:

Id be interesting to see how they got that number. Ive seen estimates of $10-12mil, but the $23mil # is new to me.

Brooks had good passing stats up until last year, but I think a better indication of his performance is the Saints extremely mediocre record over the past 5 years.
Collins was 7-21 as a starter in Oakland, and 4-9 for the Giants the year before that. Not that Brooks is great, but he's better than that.

Id be interesting to see how they got that number. Ive seen estimates of $10-12mil, but the $23mil # is new to me.
according to the article, due to accelerated signing bonus previously prorated over '07-'09 seasons...the $10M is the salary for this year, which is just part of the cap numberin general, the signing bonuses always have to be accounted for...when a player is traded or restructures to more or less years, the previosly paid bonus has to be accounted for by the team that paid it

while I don't have the details of the previous contract, apparently the bonus was pro rated thru '09, but by declining the big bonus this year the deal reverted back to fewer years, thus accelerating the rest of the bonus against this years cap

to second roadkill's take on this...Raven insiders report the team awaits the result of this TENN situation, which for some reason I have a bad feeling about...IF McNair becomes available, Baltimore would like to sign him to take over...period

the team balked at the large numbers Brees and CPep were looking for, and just aren't that impressed w/the rest of the crop---Collins is the prefered option if McNair doesn't make the trip north, but he CAN NOT be happy :hot: at the way this is playing out

I don't know if he reworked his contract but what about if they drafted leinhart? I've heard that mcnair and Young are good friends and mcnair is for young to be a titan. would mcnair get pissed off enough to ask to be released if they took norm's boy over his?
Why assume that Leinart would start right away? The recent trend, if anything, is to have franchise level QB's - e.g. Palmer, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Pennington, etc. - sitting on the bench to start their rookie seasons, and even to sit out for an entire year or two.

Users who are viewing this thread