What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So who is breaking out in 2013? (1 Viewer)

Anyone think this kid Josh Rutledge could breakout as the everyday 2B for Colorado this year? :unsure:
Dual 2B/SS eligibility is nice as is the Coors factor. He's projected to bat near the the half of the order although that's subject to change.On the potential downside, he strikes out a lot and skipped AAA. There's a non-zero chance that he could struggle and get sent down to the minors for a few months.
What's the playing time situation? Lots of guys vying for PA's on that infield.
Nelson & Pacheco at 3BTulo at SS until he gets hurtI don't think EY Jr is a factor at 2BRutledge has to beat out Brignac, DJ LeMahieu and Jonathan Herrera. Rutledge definitely has options available but I don't know about the others.
Doesn't Nelson play some 2B as well? Seems like Rutledge might be a nice option for guys in daily leagues. You'd be able to play the Coors shuffle as well as make sure he's in the line-up. Weekly leagues, not so much.
Nelson has played 2B but he's not a plus glove there. I think he and Pacheco are keeping 3B warm until Arenado is ready. After that, who knows?
Weiss is talking up Young as a super utility man who will see time at 3B, 2B, and OF and get a significant amount of at bats.

Anyone think this kid Josh Rutledge could breakout as the everyday 2B for Colorado this year? :unsure:
Dual 2B/SS eligibility is nice as is the Coors factor. He's projected to bat near the the half of the order although that's subject to change.On the potential downside, he strikes out a lot and skipped AAA. There's a non-zero chance that he could struggle and get sent down to the minors for a few months.
What's the playing time situation? Lots of guys vying for PA's on that infield.
Nelson & Pacheco at 3BTulo at SS until he gets hurtI don't think EY Jr is a factor at 2BRutledge has to beat out Brignac, DJ LeMahieu and Jonathan Herrera. Rutledge definitely has options available but I don't know about the others.
Doesn't Nelson play some 2B as well? Seems like Rutledge might be a nice option for guys in daily leagues. You'd be able to play the Coors shuffle as well as make sure he's in the line-up. Weekly leagues, not so much.
Nelson has played 2B but he's not a plus glove there. I think he and Pacheco are keeping 3B warm until Arenado is ready. After that, who knows?
Weiss is talking up Young as a super utility man who will see time at 3B, 2B, and OF and get a significant amount of at bats.
This ain't my first rodeo

Dom BrownCertainly with any breakout, the potential is there for him to continue to stink. But only a few Phillies have true breakout potential (although I suspect a guy like Revere will become more known but don't want to get in trouble calling him a break out). With that said, Brown has come into camp hitting really well. Condensed his swing down a bit and just looks like he is ready. Their other breakout candidate, Ruf has been bad. Could still be in a platoon but Young is injured and Brown has played well enough to start everyday. Not great versus lefties but who knows. Probably draftable in a deeper league or someone to keep an eye out on the first few weeks to see how they play him.

Austin jackson immediately comes to mind.
Perhaps he comes to mind because he broke out last season?
His breakout was 3 years ago, when he finished 2nd in ROTY voting, scored career highs in runs scored, doubles, and stolen bases while hitting .293. His second year was a major step back. 2012 was a return to form and the development that many hoped for in 2011.

I like Jean Segura (SS - Brewers) for a breakout year. He has been given the starting position and has 10 HR and 30 SB potential at a otherwise weak position. He can probably be had at a much lower price

than A. Simmons, and will give the same production.

I also think Starling Marte (OF - Pirates) could make a push for ROY in the NL.

A buddy of mine trained Andrew McCutchen last offseason. This year hes working with him and a few other Pirates, including Pedro Alvarez, who he says will hit 40+hrs

A buddy of mine trained Andrew McCutchen last offseason. This year hes working with him and a few other Pirates, including Pedro Alvarez, who he says will hit 40+hrs
I'm still waiting to hear what Phil has to say about Marte.

Alvarez still has to find a way to put the bat on the ball.
If he loses ABs vs. LHP to Brandon Inge, Alvarez ain't ever breaking out
He broke out last season (for fantasy baseball purposes). :coffee:
2012 was a big improvement but he was still basically a one category guy.
I'll claim two cats. 85 ribbies is nothing to gloss over. I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a 2 or 3 cat guy though. Think Troy Glaus.

Alvarez still has to find a way to put the bat on the ball.
If he loses ABs vs. LHP to Brandon Inge, Alvarez ain't ever breaking out
He broke out last season (for fantasy baseball purposes). :coffee:
2012 was a big improvement but he was still basically a one category guy.
I'll claim two cats. 85 ribbies is nothing to gloss over. I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a 2 or 3 cat guy though. Think Troy Glaus.
85 RBI is OK from a CI slot but the negative hit in AVG just about cancels that out.Glaus was much better in OBP leagues than Alvarez has been. In his prime years, Glaus would have 80-100 walks. In a perfect world, OBP-->R. Glaus' career high for strikeouts was lower than Alvarez in 2012.

Devin Mesoraco (C-CIN)

We all know about Dusty's love for the veterans, but after pretty much a full season of caddying for Ryan Hanigan, I think that Dusty lets this guy take a majority of the PA's this season. Hanigan is nowhere near an All-Star caliber player, so the hurdle is not that high. Last year during the extended tour of the NL was not pretty, similar to Anthony Rizzo's first splash for SD in 2011. This is more of a buy low at the start of 2013 as this will be the last chance to get him this cheap, especially if you are in a keeper league.

I'd say we see a similar rise for Mesoraco's numbers between 2012 to 2013 as we saw in Rizzo from 2011 to 2012. Not saying that Mesoraco will put up the same numbers that Rizzo did last year, just that the year-over-year rise will be similar, given an adjustment for Mesoraco playing a tougher position. Bonus is that Mesoraco is playing in a great place to hit, so if you don't get this guy on draft day, you only have about eight weeks to pull off the trade before the heat starts turning up and Mesoraco starts putting up respectable power numbers. My only concern is how quickly Baker will pull the trigger for Hanigan if Mesoraco gets in a slump, but I am going to roll the dice here and say that Dusty doesn't have to make that choice.

My projections: .258 avg / 14 HR / 59 RBI

Last edited by a moderator:
Devin Mesoraco (C-CIN)We all know about Dusty's love for the veterans, but after pretty much a full season of caddying for Ryan Hanigan, I think that Dusty lets this guy take a majority of the PA's this season. Hanigan is nowhere near an All-Star caliber player, so the hurdle is not that high. Last year during the extended tour of the NL was not pretty, similar to Anthony Rizzo's first splash for SD in 2011. This is more of a buy low at the start of 2013 as this will be the last chance to get him this cheap, especially if you are in a keeper league.I'd say we see a similar rise for Mesoraco's numbers between 2012 to 2013 as we saw in Rizzo from 2011 to 2012. Not saying that Mesoraco will put up the same numbers that Rizzo did last year, just that the year-over-year rise will be similar, given an adjustment for Mesoraco playing a tougher position. Bonus is that Mesoraco is playing in a great place to hit, so if you don't get this guy on draft day, you only have about eight weeks to pull off the trade before the heat starts turning up and Mesoraco starts putting up respectable power numbers. My only concern is how quickly Baker will pull the trigger for Hanigan if Mesoraco gets in a slump, but I am going to roll the dice here and say that Dusty doesn't have to make that choice.My projections: .258 avg / 14 HR / 59 RBI
Sky is the limit for Mes, but I really think you're selling Hanigan short here. I don't see the Reds giving away his job any time soon.

1B - Ike Davis, Belt, Parmelee

2B - Gyorko

SS - Simmons, Drew

3B - Lawrie

OF - Colvin, Dom Brown

SP - Cashner, McDonald

I think that Dusty lets this guy take a majority of the PA's this season
Based on what? Hanigan is an OBP machine for a 7th/8th hitter, and he manages the pitching staff pretty well.
Pure hunch. No solid information. FWIW, both he and Hanigan were drafted today in my NL-only Roto keeper league auction (11 teams, 23 active, 17 reserve rosters) - 25th year of drafting in this league. Mesoraco went for $9 while Hanigan went for $3 thrown five players later to the auction table (so roughly the same $ on table). Tried drafting him to back up my assertion, but did not have enough cash.

Devin Mesoraco (C-CIN)We all know about Dusty's love for the veterans, but after pretty much a full season of caddying for Ryan Hanigan, I think that Dusty lets this guy take a majority of the PA's this season. Hanigan is nowhere near an All-Star caliber player, so the hurdle is not that high. Last year during the extended tour of the NL was not pretty, similar to Anthony Rizzo's first splash for SD in 2011. This is more of a buy low at the start of 2013 as this will be the last chance to get him this cheap, especially if you are in a keeper league.I'd say we see a similar rise for Mesoraco's numbers between 2012 to 2013 as we saw in Rizzo from 2011 to 2012. Not saying that Mesoraco will put up the same numbers that Rizzo did last year, just that the year-over-year rise will be similar, given an adjustment for Mesoraco playing a tougher position. Bonus is that Mesoraco is playing in a great place to hit, so if you don't get this guy on draft day, you only have about eight weeks to pull off the trade before the heat starts turning up and Mesoraco starts putting up respectable power numbers. My only concern is how quickly Baker will pull the trigger for Hanigan if Mesoraco gets in a slump, but I am going to roll the dice here and say that Dusty doesn't have to make that choice.My projections: .258 avg / 14 HR / 59 RBI
Sky is the limit for Mes, but I really think you're selling Hanigan short here. I don't see the Reds giving away his job any time soon.
It was 60/40 Hanigan last year, I'm expecting it to swing the other way this year. Whether Mes gets more or not is up to him.

The one hitter I'm banking on the most to bust out is Yonder Alonso. I think he's one of the next great hitters and he should see his numbers rise to high teens in homers, 85ish RBIs and he's a .300 type hitter. With the fences moved in he could break 20 homers depending on how much PT he gets. I'll go ahead and say the Padres will have him in there a lot.

The one hitter I'm banking on the most to bust out is Yonder Alonso. I think he's one of the next great hitters and he should see his numbers rise to high teens in homers, 85ish RBIs and he's a .300 type hitter. With the fences moved in he could break 20 homers depending on how much PT he gets. I'll go ahead and say the Padres will have him in there a lot.
Even if he doubles his HR production, it's pretty meh power for a CI. The fences are being brought in mostly in RF but Alonso isn't a big pull hitter. His HR/FB% was a very low 6.4% last year so 15-20 HRs this year is a realistic goal.The other caveat is the Padres have two right-handed 1B candidates in Jesus Guzman and Kyle Blanks. Neither is great but they both are power threats against LHP. Alonso hit .261/.327/.366 against lefties last year with 1 HR in 169 PAs. He'll have to do better to stay in the lineup every day.

It was 60/40 Hanigan last year, I'm expecting it to swing the other way this year. Whether Mes gets more or not is up to him.
66/33

Even if he doubles his HR production, it's pretty meh power for a CI. The fences are being brought in mostly in RF but Alonso isn't a big pull hitter. His HR/FB% was a very low 6.4% last year so 15-20 HRs this year is a realistic goal.The other caveat is the Padres have two right-handed 1B candidates in Jesus Guzman and Kyle Blanks. Neither is great but they both are power threats against LHP. Alonso hit .261/.327/.366 against lefties last year with 1 HR in 169 PAs. He'll have to do better to stay in the lineup every day.
He's 25 and still developing so I'm guessing the homers will gradually increase over the next three to four years. Obviously his slugging vs LHP is a bit discouraging but he has demonstrated at every level that he still can hit for average and reach base which will earn him more chances. As for your caveat...you forgot to mention Blanks being the single most injury-prone player in baseball the past two years (Tommy John, STDs, torn labrum) and he's much more likely to get playing time in LF or as a fill at 1B more than a platoon. Jesus Guzman is the utility guy for the Padres, his role is pretty defined. If Alonso hits he plays every day IMO, including against lefties. He's hit at every level and had a very solid rookie year last year. For redrafts he might not be all taht attractive, but in keepers dynasties I think he's a very solid intermediate/long-term play.

66/33
Mes missed a few games with injury, otherwise he strictly caught for 2 starters (Homer and Latos) and Hanigan had 3 (Cueto, Arroyo, and misc 5th starter iirc). I know because unfortunately those two filled my 2nd catcher spot for most of the year after losing Victor in a dynasty before it began, once I figured it out I was able to stop checking the lineup each day at 6:45. Possible they switched it up late in the year though, I stopped paying attention once I traded for Avila in August. Assuming it maintained I'd bet on Mes getting the Reds' 5th starter's work this year, leave Hanigan with Cueto and Arroyo where they're comfortable.

I like Alonso too...hopefully some of those 39 doubles become homers...he already hits for average.

Based on my drafts I seem to be in love with these losers late as well (not sure if they're break out guys, but they're low risk end game options):

Lucas Duda

Juan Francisco (need a nice hot start here, but I love the power)

Wade Davis (cheap Ks hopefully)

Extra losery losers I've grasped at:

Jordanny Valdespin (bottom of the barrel MI play...gaining hype with his play this spring...some steals and a little pop and Murphy may start on DL)

Lonnie Chisenhall (another hot spring bat, also hit well at home last year, but sucked ballz on the road)

I like Alonso too...hopefully some of those 39 doubles become homers...he already hits for average.

Based on my drafts I seem to be in love with these losers late as well (not sure if they're break out guys, but they're low risk end game options):

Lucas Duda

Juan Francisco (need a nice hot start here, but I love the power)

Wade Davis (cheap Ks hopefully)

Extra losery losers I've grasped at:

Jordanny Valdespin (bottom of the barrel MI play...gaining hype with his play this spring...some steals and a little pop and Murphy may start on DL)

Lonnie Chisenhall (another hot spring bat, also hit well at home last year, but sucked ballz on the road)
I took this guy also hoping he gets the job and keeps it, could be gone by late April.

66/33
Mes missed a few games with injury, otherwise he strictly caught for 2 starters (Homer and Latos) and Hanigan had 3 (Cueto, Arroyo, and misc 5th starter iirc). I know because unfortunately those two filled my 2nd catcher spot for most of the year after losing Victor in a dynasty before it began, once I figured it out I was able to stop checking the lineup each day at 6:45. Possible they switched it up late in the year though, I stopped paying attention once I traded for Avila in August. Assuming it maintained I'd bet on Mes getting the Reds' 5th starter's work this year, leave Hanigan with Cueto and Arroyo where they're comfortable.
Maybe you missed the part where Mes was sent to AAA.

66/33
You're the type that just argues for the sake of arguing, aren't you?

Or maybe he's the type that follows the Reds religiously and actually knows what's going on. Either way.

This thread needs more Mesoraco.

Devin had 48 starts last year: 29.6%

Hanigan had 98 starts: 60.5%

Dioner Navarro has 16 starts: 9.9%

In order to hit the numbers dal_boys_phan (really?) projects there would have to be a significant injury to Hanigan. Hanigan has zero pop, but he had a very nice .365 obp and is the better defensive catcher at this point. Meanwhile, Mesoraco hit .212.

Or maybe he's the type that follows the Reds religiously and actually knows what's going on. Either way.
Well, it was 60/40 through July then Mes got hurt, tried to play through it, didn't - well anyway, and as the Reds ramped up for October they correctly figured relying on Mes would be a poor decision so they got themselves ready using the pieces they expected to use come October.

Dom Brown
:popcorn: .397 with 6 home runs and a new swing. Big question will be whether he is an everyday guy but Delmon Young will be injured and Ruf will probably open in AAA. Has 21 at bats versus lefties, only 1 home run but is hitting .381. Probably overreacting a bit to preseason numbers but he should at least start the season off hot.

66/33
You're the type that just argues for the sake of arguing, aren't you?
:lmao: I just disagree with your assessment. No need to take it personally. I would love for Mes to start growing into his potential, but I Hanigan is a very extremely underrated piece of this team right now.

So question... Regardless of format I have seen Goldschmidt jumping up draft boards from to as high as early 3rd yet a 1B like Rizzo who also has a lot of hype is more around 7-9. Also Hosmer and Ike Davis are around 7-9 as well. Looking at ESPN, Goldschmidt's ADP is in the 70s while Rizzo/Hosmer/Davis are bunched up in the 110s.

What makes Goldschmidt worth 40 more spots than Rizzo? Both are "hyped" guys and I know Goldschmidt has those 15 steals but am I missing something here? I would think Goldschmidt might be in for some AVG regression and is he price right if he is putting up a .270 27 90 10 season? Even more so in H2H points where his Ks hurt. I might just be talking myself out of the potentially taking him in my league but is he really going to breakout and if so is a high 5th round value for him in H2H points, or do you take Rizzo 2-3 rounds later?

Users who are viewing this thread