What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So who is breaking out in 2013? (1 Viewer)

ceo3west

Footballguy
Just starting auction prep for next month. Looking for guys who will significantly outperform expectations, i.e. break out, at any position.Whatcha got? I'll post mine as I get further into my analysis over the next month.

2 semi-posthypes: Hosmer and Desmond Jennings could be good value.2 3B's who could end up top 5 at the position: Frazier and Middlebrooks2 breakouts: Myers from TB and Simmons in Atlanta.

Not as much a breakout as a resergence meeting opportunity....Jonathan Broxton top 5 closer

Chris Parmelee might have $1 flyer upside potential.I like Freddie Freeman to take a decent jump this year.Dexter Fowler in obp leagues...was sneaky good last year and improving.Anthony Rizzo is the real deal, imo. 20 homers, 265+ AVG 330+ OBP floor Dayan Viciedo in AVG leegs. OBP killah though.

Like the Freeman and Rizzo calls.How about BJ Upton? He might start raking in ATL with his brother and even if he doesn't you can survive off his 30-40 steals.

In an auction right now so I can help with how other perceive these guys...Guys I liked to breakout and took looks atTodd Frazier-- He is going for more than Brett Lawrie and 5 bucks more than David Freese...1 dollar short of Ryan ZimmermanBJ Upton-- Going for a reasonable price...below the flashy guys like Adam Jones, Jason Heyward...about the same price as michael Bourn, Sin Shoo Choo, and Desmond JenningsFreddie Freeman-- Adrian Gonzalez, Edwin Encarnacion, and Mark Trumbo are all in the same tax bracketGreg Holland-- Not on the board yetMike Moustakas-- Not on the board yetAndrelton Simmons-- Not on the board yet, but I expect to be cheapLet me know if you guys want anymore...had some keepers, so that effects things...but mostly high dollar keepers, so breakouts arent a big part of that. (Rizzo was kept though)

In an auction right now so I can help with how other perceive these guys...

Guys I liked to breakout and took looks at

Todd Frazier-- He is going for more than Brett Lawrie and 5 bucks more than David Freese...1 dollar short of Ryan Zimmerman

Freddie Freeman-- Adrian Gonzalez, Edwin Encarnacion, and Mark Trumbo are all in the same tax bracket
WTF?

That is craziness for Frazier.
Thats what I said...and I laid off of him.Only thing I can think of is he has 1B/3B eligibility and the announcement of Rolen as DONE, means people are over reacting...Headley is currently on the board at 75% of his value... :unsure: And I need a 3B

2 semi-posthypes: Hosmer and Desmond Jennings could be good value.2 3B's who could end up top 5 at the position: Frazier and Middlebrooks2 breakouts: Myers from TB and Simmons in Atlanta.
Hosmer's price screams over correction. Way over valued last year and avoided accordingly. Curiously low adp this year. I am targeting him.

Chris Parmelee might have $1 flyer upside potential.I like Freddie Freeman to take a decent jump this year.Dexter Fowler in obp leagues...was sneaky good last year and improving.Anthony Rizzo is the real deal, imo. 20 homers, 265+ AVG 330+ OBP floor Dayan Viciedo in AVG leegs. OBP killah though.
Co sign freeman, showed lots of growth signs as last year progressed.

Austin jackson immediately comes to mind.
Perhaps he comes to mind because he broke out last season?
Room for more imho. I think he has room for more power and speed too.
While that's possible and up for debate, I'd still say the 166 point jump in OPS from his 2011 season to his 2012 season is going to be the "break out" that guys in this thread would be looking for. Anything he jumps from here will be modest in comparison to that breakout, especially since the draft choice he will cost this season is at an all-time high now that he's a pretty well known commodity as a five-tool guy at the top of the AL champions lineup.

While that's possible and up for debate, I'd still say the 166 point jump in OPS from his 2011 season to his 2012 season is going to be the "break out" that guys in this thread would be looking for. Anything he jumps from here will be modest in comparison to that breakout, especially since the draft choice he will cost this season is at an all-time high now that he's a pretty well known commodity as a five-tool guy at the top of the AL champions lineup.
He seems to be drafted about the same time as freeman, Frazier, etc

He seems to be drafted about the same time as freeman, Frazier, etc
Ok. So what's your A Jax projection for this season?

I don't do projections, but I think he has room for another ten homers and he has 30 sb speed. He adjusted remarkably well and quickly to his new approach last year. I think this year as he enters his prime years he focuses more on the long ball and turning all singles and walks into doubles, essentially. Worst case, last year repeated. Low risk, high reward value at his current rate.

Chris Parmelee might have $1 flyer upside potential.

I like Freddie Freeman to take a decent jump this year.

Dexter Fowler in obp leagues...was sneaky good last year and improving.

Anthony Rizzo is the real deal, imo. 20 homers, 265+ AVG 330+ OBP floor

Dayan Viciedo in AVG leegs. OBP killah though.
Love this guy.

'prosopis said:
'Notorious T.R.E. said:
Chris Parmelee might have $1 flyer upside potential.

I like Freddie Freeman to take a decent jump this year.

Dexter Fowler in obp leagues...was sneaky good last year and improving.

Anthony Rizzo is the real deal, imo. 20 homers, 265+ AVG 330+ OBP floor

Dayan Viciedo in AVG leegs. OBP killah though.
Love this guy.
My Rizzo proj.27hrs 91rbi .289avg .359obp

I like Lucroy at catcher this year. He should go late, and he put up good numbers before he got hurt. Also Chris Davis from the Orioles should have a break out year and being at 1B he'll go late after all the big names at that position.

I like Lucroy at catcher this year. He should go late, and he put up good numbers before he got hurt. Also Chris Davis from the Orioles should have a break out year and being at 1B he'll go late after all the big names at that position.
Chris Davis?

Some people are really struggling with this breakout concept. Chris Davis had a breakout LAST SEASON. He went from .266/25/5/19/1 in 2011 to .270/75/33/85/2 in 2012.That's it. That's your breakout.

Some people are really struggling with this breakout concept. Chris Davis had a breakout LAST SEASON. He went from .266/25/5/19/1 in 2011 to .270/75/33/85/2 in 2012.That's it. That's your breakout.
Same with AJAX and Fowler, even more so really.

It's a pretty vague word. If you want people that are drafted outside the top 150 that produce top 50 numbers probably good to specify.

It's a pretty vague word. If you want people that are drafted outside the top 150 that produce top 50 numbers probably good to specify.
We'll just use Merriam Webster.
being or relating to a sudden or smashing success especially in comparison to previous efforts

being or relating to a sudden or smashing success especially in comparison to previous efforts
Or the original post:
Looking for guys who will significantly outperform expectations

'Doctor Detroit said:
'RnR said:
'MAC_32 said:
'RnR said:
Or the original post:
Well, I expect something closer to pre 2012 Chris Davis, so if he is anything like 2012 he will significantly outperform my expectations.I feel the total opposite about Austin Jackson. He took a big jump last year, I expect another one this year. He isn't being priced for that possibility though, so I expect him to exceed expectations...which by definition is a breakout...apparently. Looking at him similarly as I did Adam Jones and Choo last year - top 100 picks that become top 30-40 picks...and to a lesser degree Giancarlo and McCutchen too - round 2 and 3 picks that I expected to be #1's this year, and now are.So, do you want guys outside the top 150 that can get to the top 50? top 100 guys that can get to the top 30? or top 30 guys that can get to round 1? Because by definition they're all breakouts according to the above 2 posts. You fail english? That's unpossible.

'Doctor Detroit said:
'RnR said:
'MAC_32 said:
'RnR said:
Some people are really struggling with this breakout concept. Chris Davis had a breakout LAST SEASON.

He went from .266/25/5/19/1 in 2011 to .270/75/33/85/2 in 2012.

That's it. That's your breakout.
Or the original post:
Well, I expect something closer to pre 2012 Chris Davis, so if he is anything like 2012 he will significantly outperform my expectations.I feel the total opposite about Austin Jackson. He took a big jump last year, I expect another one this year. He isn't being priced for that possibility though, so I expect him to exceed expectations...which by definition is a breakout...apparently. Looking at him similarly as I did Adam Jones and Choo last year - top 100 picks that become top 30-40 picks...and to a lesser degree Giancarlo and McCutchen too - round 2 and 3 picks that I expected to be #1's this year, and now are.

So, do you want guys outside the top 150 that can get to the top 50? top 100 guys that can get to the top 30? or top 30 guys that can get to round 1? Because by definition they're all breakouts according to the above 2 posts.

You fail english? That's unpossible.
No idea what you're getting at here but by no definition of breakout should Austin Jackson be considered. He will not significantly outperform his 2012 year and he is a known quantity in baseball. I guess you are looking for the thread that talks about outperforming ADP.

Lonnie Chisenhall could be a good one. He will have a lot better guys hitting around him and much less pressure.

Lonnie Chisenhall could be a good one. He will have a lot better guys hitting around him and much less pressure.
[snarky response]He is not a breakout, he is a lotto ticket[/snarky response]Real response - he's probably starting the year in the 8 or 9 hole and likely sitting vs. lefties. Last round flier, maybe, that has a strong chance of lasting less than 1 week into the season. Preferably, watch list guy you add if he has a hot streak at any point in the first month of the season.

I'm going to skip over the semantics tussle and say that Curtis Granderson will out-perform his ADP/AAV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it comes down to the definition of "breakout". I guess you can say Chris Davis had a breakout year last year, but I understood it as someone who's under the radar and will improve. For example, Adam Jones probably had his breakout year last year. Sure people knew who he was, but last year was his best numbers and that's probably what you will see from him moving forward.

Users who are viewing this thread