What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Some WR Questions the Game Recaps Didn't Answer (1 Viewer)

FFdork

Footballguy
These are some things I'm legitimately wondering that I was hoping to see addressed in the the game recaps (or upgrade/downgrade). I also thought it might serve as some constructive criticism for the people that work on this content. These are based off of some comments I've seen in threads on these boards, but I don't know every person on this board so I would love some confirmation:

1. Was Colston even a starter for this game? I read he wasn't in the game except in 3 and 4 WR sets. If true, has any explanation been given by the NO coaching staff?

2. Was Josh Morgan a starter? Did Singletary or Martz reverse this decision (i.e. it was announced by Nolan before he was fired)? Was he on the field for most plays and simply not targeted? Was he benched due to the early drop? Was the groin a factor?

3. Is Holt still regularly seeing double teams?

As much as possible I'm looking for hard information here, not your :kicksrock: opinion. Please use one of the other threads on these guys to tell us 'he's done' or 'terrible'

These are some things I'm legitimately wondering that I was hoping to see addressed in the the game recaps (or upgrade/downgrade). I also thought it might serve as some constructive criticism for the people that work on this content. These are based off of some comments I've seen in threads on these boards, but I don't know every person on this board so I would love some confirmation:

1. Was Colston even a starter for this game? I read he wasn't in the game except in 3 and 4 WR sets. If true, has any explanation been given by the NO coaching staff?

2. Was Josh Morgan a starter? Did Singletary or Martz reverse this decision (i.e. it was announced by Nolan before he was fired)? Was he on the field for most plays and simply not targeted? Was he benched due to the early drop? Was the groin a factor?

3. Is Holt still regularly seeing double teams?

As much as possible I'm looking for hard information here, not your :popcorn: opinion. Please use one of the other threads on these guys to tell us 'he's done' or 'terrible'
:goodposting: Bump -- I don't know the answers offhand myself, but they're definitely good questions.

I didn't see Holt a whole lot in the 4th Q...leaning toward second half. IIRC It was alot of Avery, Dante Hall, and one or two to Burton.

Didn't see all the game (bouncing around on the ticket), but it did seem like Morgan was benched after the drop. Bryant Johnson came in and had a false start penalty not too long after that, and a drop if I remember correctly. Morgan got in the game again later, and had good position for a fade route in the end zone. Hill threw a terrible pass however that soared out of bounds.

Morgan got his first start but was benched due to a drop. (singletary wants results, focus etc)

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20081...PORTS/810260287
Morgan is a total Rookie. Inconsistency reminds me of VJAX among many others. The guy has many tools but he drops the ball too often. He is both mature and raw all at once. Dont play the guy until he puts 3 decent games together. I got burned this week with the big fat 0.

Moore and Henderson started. Colston was not on the field for many plays. He did get a target in the endzone. The pass never made it to him due to great play by the DB.

Moore and Henderson started. Colston was not on the field for many plays. He did get a target in the endzone. The pass never made it to him due to great play by the DB.
:coffee: This is all accurate. It was Clinton Hart who made the play in the end zone. I did the recap for this game, apologies for the omission of news on Colston's starting status. Sometimes we recappers get so caught up about what happens on the field of play that we can overlook things that happen in pregame (such as lineup decisions, etc).On the long reception, his hand didn't seem to be bothering him any as he reached down to catch it while on the run.

apparently the deal with Colsotn doesn't have anything to do with his thumb but the fact that he's having trouble adjusting to game speed. In other words, shaking the rust off.

Bri said:
Morgan got his first start but was benched due to a drop. (singletary wants results, focus etc)

Thanks. Here's the quote from the link Bri posted:
Rookie receiver Josh Morgan made the first start of his NFL career, as he replaced Bryant Johnson in the starting lineup. However, Morgan lost his spot when he dropped a pass early in the game. Johnson caught three passes for 30 yards.
Seems like a quick hook, especially if you're trying to help a rook build his confidence. The obvious follow-up question is if Morgan is the 'starter' this week?

Last edited by a moderator:
gregjcross said:
Bri said:

Morgan is a total Rookie. Inconsistency reminds me of VJAX among many others. The guy has many tools but he drops the ball too often. He is both mature and raw all at once. Dont play the guy until he puts 3 decent games together. I got burned this week with the big fat 0.
2 weeks ago, I watched that game when he did well-that one that got everyone excited again. I said a few times last week how it really seemed to me that most of his stats came on one drive. I don't think it's time to get excited yet.VJax's development was interrupted by injuries a few times. I'm not sure that comparison is so good.

Did you see Amani Toomer the other night? Do you watch him much? That guy can get 3 passes thrown his way or 10 thrown his way. He's ready and he just might get the big catch.

Veteran /= rookie, yet how many teams pull that kinda stuff with young WRs? I'd say 90% of rooks are not making a big catch if they haven't had but a few thrown their way. They need reps, not just blocking and route running in the game but several passes too. They're adjusting to the speed of the NFL game and working up a rhythm with the QB. That's the one thing about that 3rd year WR theory, often that's the year the WR can get into a rhythm.

Users who are viewing this thread