What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Son Diagnosed with Acute Leukemia (1 Viewer)

fred_1_15301

Footballguy
I’m not sure why I’m posting this at 5:30 in the morning but I guess maybe it’s related to the fact that I haven’t slept in a while and not thinking clearly. Actually in reality it’s because this forum is an amazing support network and we have some damn knowledgeable posters.

My 8 year old son (Toren) woke up Monday morning with what appeared to be a neck strain and a bit of a fever. He plays a bunch of sports so I didn’t make a big deal about it. We medicated him and the next couple days he was sore but things seemed to be improving. Yesterday he complained that the neck pain was more intense and again his temp was high. I immediately called the after hour nurse and she said to take him to the ER right away. After running some bloodwork, the doctor diagnosed him with Acute Leukemia. Shocking and devastating and all I could think about is why I didn’t take him to the ER on Monday.

Anyways I’ve been in tears in and out most of the past 8 hours as I sit next to my little guy in the hospital wondering what happens next.

I did have a great talk with the Oncologist and the prognosis for what he has is actually pretty good (given that it’s cancer). I know this is the beginning of a very long journey for him but man is he a fighter.

Anyways not sure what I’m looking for. Maybe thoughts and prayers. Definitely advice/suggestions.

I have no advice but thoughts and prayers for your family. There are some here that can steer you in the right direction.

So sorry to hear of this. Life can be so cruel sometimes. Don't beat yourself up over not going to the ER sooner. How would you know? We all would have done similar. We make the best decisions with the information we have. Your approach was perfectly reasonable. You and your family are now embarking on an epic journey together. You will be amazed at the inspiration you find through your son. Don't be afraid to lean on family and friends a little through the journey. They are happy to help and support.

So sorry to hear the news. Praying for your family and Toren, especially. There’s nothing that would have made any difference, at all, in taking him to the ER earlier, btw. Don’t beat yourself up.

I remember the day we got the news about our son; it’s soul-crushing to get that diagnosis. I remember that feeling in my gut. The only words of encouragement I can give you is that it gets better. That initial shock is so bad, but you will eventually find your bearings and cope. You’ll surprise yourself with how much you can handle. And you will be in awe of your boy and the grace with which he handles this.

I’m no expert in pediatric cancers, but I’ve been through it. I’ll gladly answer any questions I can, or point you to resources I know, or provide an ear if you need one.

I’ll continue to pray for you all. Peace.

Holy crap man I'm so sorry for you and your family. My brother died almost 50 years ago from Leukemia, back then the survivability was extremely low.

However, as you said the doctor told you, fantastic advances have been made with this horrible disease and the odds are very very good that your little guy will be just fine. It will be a tough road but he'll come out stronger on the other end.

Please post here with updates and with anything you and your family may need. This forum seems like an active and engaged place and I'll bet we can marshal resources both emotional and financial if needed.

I've had my own bouts with cancer when I was younger, early 20's, and recently, early 50's. Not Leukemia but any kind of cancer is gut wrenching. Stay strong for your family and yourself, they'll need your support now and after you get the all clear as well. Cancer can leave scars that sometimes can't be seen but that can ultimately make you stronger with love and support.

You guys got this and everything will be ok. Praying for your family.

Was in a similar situation to yours 18 years ago. Take it one day at a time. As you’ve said the prognosis is very good so there is every reason to stay positive even though the situation sucks. My daughter is now perfectly fine and kicking ***. Those were dark days for sure but somehow we look back on them almost fondly. Strange, I know.

One piece of advice is if given the option of oral vs IV treatments, weigh the options carefully. Don’t just reject IVs because needles are scary. My wife insisted we pursue the IV treatment program (again, different disease) and I think that made a huge difference.

I’ll be praying for you and Toren. Keep his spirits up as best you can, let him now how much he’s kicking *** as things move along. Attitude is huge.

Oh Fred. I am so so sorry to hear this news. I think the posters up above have said many of the things I would say. You are indeed about to go on an amazing journey with Toren. It will be difficult no doubt. But your relationship with your son will deepen beyond measure and some of the best moments in your life lie ahead. Embrace them.

Please lean on us here. And if you ever need to talk to someone, shoot me a message. Sending love and light to you, Toren and your whole family.

what do you say other than I’m so sorry your family is going through this. Don’t beat yourself up, nobody else would have done any different.

I’m sorry that your son and your entire family have to go through this. With that said—try to be as strong as possible for him. Don’t kick or blame yourself. You guys did nothing wrong. Taking him to the ER would not have changed the diagnosis. I‘ll light a candle and do some prayers for your son and family. My best wishes and most positive thoughts to you.

Sorry to hear. Sounds like your little dude is going to kick Leukemia's butt!

And don't beat yourself up at all about delaying in having him looked at. It's normal for a parent to do that in those situations. Way back when when my daughter played HS softball she got hit by a pitch and I told her to rub some dirt on it. She got her mother/my wife to take her to the ER and she had a broken knuckle. :mellow:

I'm sorry to hear man. We are all here from you. As someone that has first-hand experience with this place as a support system, keeping this place updated was therapeutic and helped me through some dark times so lean on us. This is shadyridr... Riley's dad.

I’m not sure why I’m posting this at 5:30 in the morning but I guess maybe it’s related to the fact that I haven’t slept in a while and not thinking clearly. Actually in reality it’s because this forum is an amazing support network and we have some damn knowledgeable posters.

My 8 year old son (Toren) woke up Monday morning with what appeared to be a neck strain and a bit of a fever. He plays a bunch of sports so I didn’t make a big deal about it. We medicated him and the next couple days he was sore but things seemed to be improving. Yesterday he complained that the neck pain was more intense and again his temp was high. I immediately called the after hour nurse and she said to take him to the ER right away. After running some bloodwork, the doctor diagnosed him with Acute Leukemia. Shocking and devastating and all I could think about is why I didn’t take him to the ER on Monday.

Anyways I’ve been in tears in and out most of the past 8 hours as I sit next to my little guy in the hospital wondering what happens next.

I did have a great talk with the Oncologist and the prognosis for what he has is actually pretty good (given that it’s cancer). I know this is the beginning of a very long journey for him but man is he a fighter.

Anyways not sure what I’m looking for. Maybe thoughts and prayers. Definitely advice/suggestions.
So sorry. We're pulling for Toren and your family.

Considering the prognosis, I’m assuming he has ALL, as opposed to AML?

If so, the treatment course will be for about 3 years total, but the survival rate is 80%+. What part of the country are you in? There are wonderful pediatric facilities all over the country- if you’re in the south, try to get to CHOA. Midwest, there’s Nationwide in Columbus, CHOP in Philly, one in Iowa, and I’m sure others that I’m missing. Out west there are several as well- Rady, Phoenix Children’s, UCLA, Stanford, etc. and of course Texas Children’s.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM. It’s going to be a long road, but you’ve got this.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear. I know you'll find the strength you need for yourself, your son, and the rest of your family. Sending prayers your way.

Oh man, so sorry to hear this. Heartbreaking. I have an 7 yr old daughter and we just had a big scare ourselves last week that resulted in a hospital stay and a very scary 24hrs. So your posts hits very close to home right now. My heart goes out to you and your family. Stay strong and positive.

Very sorry to hear this news.

I'm a general pediatrician and have had several of my patients diagnosed with ALL over the years. Every one of them has beat it so I am very optimistic that Toren will as well. Like others have stated, the treatment regimens for this cancer have continued to be more and more efficacious over the years.

Please keep us updated if you're inclined.

I'm so very sorry to hear this. Stay strong for him and your family as I'm sure he will be showing you strength you never thought possible going forward. ❤️

Hey man, so sorry to hear the news. Mobbin prayers, well wishes, hugs, and all that jazz.

The treatments for leukemia are pretty good compared to when we grew up. I’m sure Toren is going to kick leukemia’s ***!

Not surprised one bit at the incredible responses that I received. I'm humbled everyday by the amazing people in this forum. As an update, he is at CHOP and his formal diagnosis is T cell ALL. No cancer is good but if there is one that can be beaten, that's high up on the list. I simply can't believe the strength that Toren has displayed the past 21 hours. I'm still not ready to talk (even to my family or friends) but eventually I will shoot some of you a PM.

Fred, I am so sorry to hear this. Words fail. I am sending thoughts your and Toren's way. I wish you the best of luck and I'll think of Toren and you in the future. I hope for both of your sakes that you are able to stay strong and be the rock for him that he will inevitably need. Best to you and your family.

There are some great people here that have been through similar circumstances. I hope you're able to lean on them in the future. Best, ra.

Not surprised one bit at the incredible responses that I received. I'm humbled everyday by the amazing people in this forum. As an update, he is at CHOP and his formal diagnosis is T cell ALL. No cancer is good but if there is one that can be beaten, that's high up on the list. I simply can't believe the strength that Toren has displayed the past 21 hours. I'm still not ready to talk (even to my family or friends) but eventually I will shoot some of you a PM.
CHOP is definitely top 5 nationally for peds onc, and probably top 2. You’re in great hands.

I wish your son the best my brother. Keep faith as treatments have progressed. My daughter best friend had the same thing at 11, it was a tough 1-2 years but she is now 28 married with a child.

Man, my heart dropped reading this. Prayers sent your way and it is great to hear at the least the diagnosis is high on the curable list.

Users who are viewing this thread