What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Southern Man or Sweet Home Alabama? (1 Viewer)

Where do you fall?

• Total voters
Southern Man if I'm feeling morally superior

Sweet Home Alabama if I just wanna get drunk and don't give a F'

I used to tell my wife the story behind Sweet Home Alabama everytime it came on the radio, after about the 20th time she threatened to divorce me if I told her again. I heard through mutual friends she is dating again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite it being perhaps the most overplayed song ever, I'll still take sweet home Alabama.

Simple Man is the best skynyrd song though.

Despite it being perhaps the most overplayed song ever, I'll still take sweet home Alabama.

I get most enjoyment out of Gimme Three Steps. Not their best song, but the one I like best.

I get most enjoyment out of Gimme Three Steps. Not their best song, but the one I like best.
Tuesday's Gone then Simple Man. They are both top tier elite epic songs. The rest of their work is average.

Voted SM here

Ballad of Curtis Lowe

stereotypes an old black drunken dobro player taking money from a kid.. racist bastids

Love how Lynyrd Skynyrd takes a dig at Neil Young. SM for me.
I love how Neil Young calls the South out on their BS decades before all this Confederate flag hoopla. Skynyrd firing back always seemed a bonehead move to me, considering what Neil was saying was SO true. Southern Man by a mile.

I love how Neil Young calls the South out on their BS decades before all this Confederate flag hoopla. Skynyrd firing back always seemed a bonehead move to me, considering what Neil was saying was SO true. Southern Man by a mile.
Skynyrd knew who their target audience was...and they all love(d) the call out.

Skynyrd knew who their target audience was...and they all love(d) the call out.
I'm sure they did. I'm sure lots of people still do. :duelingbanjos:

We get it Bob. Everybody from the south is a racist no good bigot because of the actions of a few. Kind of like people from Ferguson huh?

Neil Young is a #####. Turn it up.

:goodposting:
When Lynyrd Skynyrd released "Sweet Home Alabama" in 1974, it was seen, among other things, as a clear swipe at Neil Young. He was very critical of the South in his recent songs "Southern Man" and "Alabama," and it's hard to get less ambiguous than Ronnie Van Zant's lyrics: "Well, I heard Mister Young sing about her/Well, I heard ol' Neil put her down/Well, I hope Neil Young will remember/A Southern man don't need him around anyhow."

A couple of years after the song came out, though, Van Zant clarified the group's intentions. "We wrote 'Sweet Home Alabama' as a joke," he said. "We didn't even think about it. The words just came out that way. We just laughed like hell and said, 'Ain't that funny.' We love Neil Young. We love his music." In case anybody thought he wasn't serious, he began wearing a Tonight's the Night shirt onstage.

The feeling was mutual, and Young sent the group a demo of his song "Powderfinger" to see if they wanted to record it in their next album. Tragically, Ronnie Van Zant and other members of Skynyrd died in a plane crash before they had the chance. (According to legend, Van Zant was buried in his Tonights the Night T-shirt, though this remains a hotly disputed topic.) Just weeks after the accident, Young played a show in Miami to raise money for a children's hospital. Near the end, he played a medley of "Alabama" and "Sweet Home Alabama" as a tribute to the band. There's no video, but you can hear an audience tape right here.

Young has not played "Alabama" a single time since that night. "'Alabama' richly deserved the shot Lynyrd Skynyrd gave me with their great record," Young wrote in his 2012 book, Waging Heavy Peace. "I don't like my words when I listen to it today. They are accusatory and condescending, not fully thought out, too easy to misconstrue."

:goodposting:
When Lynyrd Skynyrd released "Sweet Home Alabama" in 1974, it was seen, among other things, as a clear swipe at Neil Young. He was very critical of the South in his recent songs "Southern Man" and "Alabama," and it's hard to get less ambiguous than Ronnie Van Zant's lyrics: "Well, I heard Mister Young sing about her/Well, I heard ol' Neil put her down/Well, I hope Neil Young will remember/A Southern man don't need him around anyhow."

A couple of years after the song came out, though, Van Zant clarified the group's intentions. "We wrote 'Sweet Home Alabama' as a joke," he said. "We didn't even think about it. The words just came out that way. We just laughed like hell and said, 'Ain't that funny.' We love Neil Young. We love his music." In case anybody thought he wasn't serious, he began wearing a Tonight's the Night shirt onstage.

The feeling was mutual, and Young sent the group a demo of his song "Powderfinger" to see if they wanted to record it in their next album. Tragically, Ronnie Van Zant and other members of Skynyrd died in a plane crash before they had the chance. (According to legend, Van Zant was buried in his Tonights the Night T-shirt, though this remains a hotly disputed topic.) Just weeks after the accident, Young played a show in Miami to raise money for a children's hospital. Near the end, he played a medley of "Alabama" and "Sweet Home Alabama" as a tribute to the band. There's no video, but you can hear an audience tape right here.

Young has not played "Alabama" a single time since that night. "'Alabama' richly deserved the shot Lynyrd Skynyrd gave me with their great record," Young wrote in his 2012 book, Waging Heavy Peace. "I don't like my words when I listen to it today. They are accusatory and condescending, not fully thought out, too easy to misconstrue."
:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Difficult for me to support Neil Young's generalization of Southerners, classifying Southerners as racist.

Difficult for me to support Neil Young's generalization of Southerners, classifying Southerners as racist.
They're not?

They're not?
They are to people (at least represented by) like Neil Young and certain FBGers.

Never liked Neil Young's politics but liked Skynyrd's rejoinder even less as a kid. As I get older, this question becomes more about the enjoyment of the song, and I really enjoy both. Right now, I'd rather hear Southern Man.

They're not?
They are to people (at least represented by) like Neil Young and certain FBGers.
I was just goofing around. I've lived in NJ, Utah, and Florida and have found no appreciable difference in the number of racists I've encountered.

Not from the South or even the US, but Southern Man always seemed like cringeworthy generalised stereotyping to me.

Not from the South or even the US, but Southern Man always seemed like cringeworthy generalised stereotyping to me.
Keep in mind that 18 months before Young wrote the song Governor Wallace (who'd stood in the doors of the University of Alabama to prevent segregation of the state university) had run for President on a segregationist platform. Literally.

In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever.
At least he had the indecency to be honest about it. And he'd have had no trouble telling you what the confederate flag really stood for either.

Sweet Home Alabama is one of the greatest rock songs of all time. Forget about the lyrics, Southern Man is not a musically good song.

So I was just on Spotify, and whe searching for SM to do 'research' to see which song I liked better and this song (http://youtu.be/UEpVkqmBzpE) called SM by Akshin Alizadeh came up as the 'Top Result'. Can't tell if it is a poor attempt at a cover or not, just think it's odd that would be higher.

Users who are viewing this thread