What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Southern Talk (1 Viewer)

@Joe Bryant Is Landon a relative? I am guessing not as you probably would have mentioned it in your post. Southern folk are a special breed...Bless their hearts.

@Joe Bryant Is Landon a relative? I am guessing not as you probably would have mentioned it in your post. Southern folk are a special breed...Bless their hearts.

Thanks @Galileo.

We're not related as far as I know. Most of the Bryants in our family are from Eastern TN and North Carolina and then Ireland/Scotland before that. But anything is possible!

I think over the years of working in corporate environments I've managed to eliminate most of the Southern terminology that I grew up using. The big one that I still use all the time is y'all. Not sure I'll outgrow that one. I used "fixin' to" quite a bit back in my younger days but don't think that one slips out anymore.

I think over the years of working in corporate environments I've managed to eliminate most of the Southern terminology that I grew up using. The big one that I still use all the time is y'all. Not sure I'll outgrow that one. I used "fixin' to" quite a bit back in my younger days but don't think that one slips out anymore.
Despite being from the Northeast I say “y’all” because my stepmother is from Texas and I got used to it, and because it’s a convenient shortcut that doesn’t have an equivalent in Northern American English.

Y'all is perfect.

It's easy and totally politically correct and inclusive. Can't go wrong there.

Y'all is perfect.

Agree until my Indian contractors have no clue what I’m saying 😂

Y'all is perfect.

All y'all when there are more than just y'all.

Y'all is perfect.

Agree until my Indian contractors have no clue what I’m saying 😂
Can't they do the needful and Google it?

Way better than yinz.

Y'all is perfect.

Agreed. I unconsciously adopted it awhile back. It kind of surprised me the first few times I said it like you said it’s perfect for any situation.

I used "fixin' to" quite a bit back in my younger days but don't think that one slips out anymore.
For some reason I liked this one, when I heard it down South.

I will use it occasionally, but only if I am planning on doing something I am really going to enjoy. I will tell someone I am fixin' to watch 9 hours of football on Sunday. I don't say I'm fixin' to go to the dentist. I don't know why.

I've dropped the "y'all" out of my vocab. I had picked it up in my early twenties when I dated a girl from Nashville and it stayed until my late twenties. But people would look at me funny in D.C. (an area very close to Southern customs and language) when I did that, though, so now I use "you all" to avoid any sort of phoniness about being Southern. I'm not Southern, so "you all" it is.

I used to use the word "fixin" a lot as well until I joined the military. I got ridiculed a lot for it until I eventually dropped it from my vocabulary. I also lost my very southern accent too. I don't know why ya'll is not a standard contraction. It should be.

Way better than yinz.

My wife’s relatives from Tennessee say “You’uns”. Now I’ve lived in the South my entire life and I’ve heard some hillbilly **** over the years but even I did a double take the first time I heard it.

Y'all is perfect.

I lived in Texas for just over a year many many years ago and have used "y'all" ever since. Its just very convenient in so many settings that its hard to drop. I still even use "y'all's" sometimes although that seems much more slangy. One difference is that I would not normally use it in a formal setting here up north, such as in court, whereas in Texas it is perfectly normal to use in those formal settings. Of course, you can also wear a cowboy hat and boots with a suit in Court in Texas and no one bats an eye.

Y'all is perfect.

I lived in Texas for just over a year many many years ago and have used "y'all" ever since. Its just very convenient in so many settings that its hard to drop. I still even use "y'all's" sometimes although that seems much more slangy. One difference is that I would not normally use it in a formal setting here up north, such as in court, whereas in Texas it is perfectly normal to use in those formal settings. Of course, you can also wear a cowboy hat and boots with a suit in Court in Texas and no one bats an eye.

I remember the first time I said the phrase voir dire at a Texas symposium after moving from California to Texas. I said “vwah deer” and the guest judge said “son, we’re in Texas. It’s “vore die-er”

Edit: Actually it was a symposium (over 20 years ago)

Last edited:
Way better than yinz.

My wife’s relatives from Tennessee say “You’uns”. Now I’ve lived in the South my entire life and I’ve heard some hillbilly **** over the years but even I did a double take the first time I heard it.
Pretty sure I heard that way back when. Most of the family is from the VA/TN border.

Any of y'all use the phrase/question "come with?" As in: "I'm fixin' to go to the Walmart. Y'all want to come with?" I remember this being popular with a few people I knew from Arkansas when I was in college. I don't recall hearing much elsewhere.

Y'all is perfect.

Life is too short to say "you all". No problem with the northern versions of it too. I can't really pull off the "youse".

Any of y'all use the phrase/question "come with?" As in: "I'm fixin' to go to the Walmart. Y'all want to come with?" I remember this being popular with a few people I knew from Arkansas when I was in college. I don't recall hearing much elsewhere.
As I've heard that, in the north, it's only for something good, not mundane. Not WalMart.

We're going to this party in the hills, you want to come with?

Yep, I heard "come with" quite a bit in Arkansas. And I'm pretty sure it's more like "fittin' to" than "fixin' to".

As I've heard that, in the north, it's only for something good, not mundane. Not WalMart.

Is that code for an Iron Maiden show?

Definitely Minnesota..."You can bring your coat with."

So not a southern thing...OK. Walmart is more appropriate for my Arkansas example.

Where y'all at on greetings? It's predominantly Hey... where I'm at.
Is hey New Yorker? I feel like me 3 New York employees say hey.

I’m from Texas and greet with howdy a lot. But there is a howdy that is used on zoom but there is a shorter howdy more like “hady” with a slight head nod Texas will use in person with each other.

Users who are viewing this thread