What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spiller vs Charles vs McCoy (1 Viewer)

Justloveit

Footballguy
After the consensus #1 (Peterson), there seems to be a bunch of excellent RB's that are in an improved situation compared to previous yrs and have elite ability/enormous upside.

Guys like Spiller, Charles, McCoy all have great ability and shown they can put up big numbers. Each of them have an improved situation this yr.

How are people deciding which to go with?

It seems to me that it's basically a coin toss (3 sided coin).

I would not be surprised to see any of these guys total 2000 yards and/or end up as the #1 fantasy RB.

Who you got?

It's Spiller for me but it's really too close to call. There's no right or wrong answer.
Yeh, i think it just comes down to personal preference for whatever reason.

Each have so much upside and each can be talked down for whatever reason if you choose to take that stance.

Bryce Brown has to be a knock McCoy's numbers whereas Charles and Spiller will be all day. I like Charles here in Andy Reid's Offense. ie Westbrook and McCoy track records.

i hear ya regarding Brown. On the flip side, if Philli run so many more plays than the traditional offense then surely McCoy will still get a good number of touches despite Brown's role in the offense.

I think by the end of this season you are going to have to add David Wilson to this group.
As in for next years drafts?

right now, Wilson can still be had after the 1st round. So in reality one can draft one of these 3 guys and add Wilson later if they so choose

i hear ya regarding Brown. On the flip side, if Philli run so many more plays than the traditional offense then surely McCoy will still get a good number of touches despite Brown's role in the offense.
Provided I could also get Brown, I prefer McCoy over Spiller and Charles. If I knew I couldn't get Brown, I would drop McCoy a little below them. I'm not a big handcuff guy but every so often a pair of players in a particular situation come along where it just makes sense...

Why is Doug Martin not included in this group? Seems he has gone #2 in a good amount of drafts, probably more so than these others.

my thoughts although 2 drafts I know of yesterday he went #6. I have 2 in one of mine and I think that is who I am going with. I like McCoy of those 3, seems like he may have big year in store

My top 5

1. Adrian Peterson

2. CJ Spiller

3. LeSean McCoy

4. Trent Richardson

5. Chris Johnson

I think all 5 of these guys perform better this year than Martin, Charles, Foster, or Rice.

anyone concerned about bills qb situation and how it could affect spiller? i think i might drop spiller few spots.

Mccoy

Charles

Spiller

personally, I'd throw Richardson in the mix as well. He's healthy, looks great, offense built around him, one of the best OC for RBs in the last 20 years, will be among the lead leaders in touches (I've read they want to get to 300 carries and 50+ catches) and ZERO competition for touches with Lewis going down. The only obstacles to a top 5 finish avoiding the injury bug (which can be said for nearly every RB in the league).

I'm In This Exact Same Spot At Number 3. Can't Pull The Trigger On One Set Player Yet. One Day I Like CJ, The Next I Like McCoy, THen Charles Etc...Tough Decision..

I've got six hours to decide on my one keeper between T Richardson & CJ Spiller. I was leaning Spiller, but now with the QB situation in BUF, I have some concerns. I'm curious if the census believes (as I do) that Trent may actually be the safer pick with slightly less upside....

I've got six hours to decide on my one keeper between T Richardson & CJ Spiller. I was leaning Spiller, but now with the QB situation in BUF, I have some concerns. I'm curious if the census believes (as I do) that Trent may actually be the safer pick with slightly less upside....
Safer and at least as much upside for TRich.

Safest pick among all the stud RB's, IMO, when you take into account his proven willingness to produce through injury, his current health, his system, his coach's history, his line, his age, etc.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=686040&hl=richardson#entry15823175

thread discussing Spiller vs Richardson. I think they are both excellent and don't think Richardson has less upside.

I go with Doug Martin.

I have 9 leagues this year (some more important than others). All have drafted now, all are redraft. I got Martin in 4 of them.

Of the three listed in the title I got with Charles. Then McCoy.

At #2, I am going with Jamaal Charles.

I just feel most comfortable with him in 2 areas:

1. Receptions- We know that Andy Reid is going to throw to his RB a lot. We have a decade's worth of data to look at. Every single report out of KC all summer has indicated they plan to throw it to JC a bunch. In contrast, I have no idea what to expect from a guy like Shady McCoy in this area. Would I be shocked if he caught 60 balls? No. But I also wouldn't be shocked if he ended up with 25 or 30. We just don't know. A bit too much guess work for PPR #2 in my opinion. I feel similarly about Spiller who is also in a brand new offense with a first time NFL head coach. Wouldn't shock me at all if he had 50+ catches, but it isn't a near lock like it is for Charles (if he stays healthy obviously).

2. Work horse status- Again, we have a decade long history of Reid tending to lean on one back. I'm also not overly impressed with the other options KC has at RB. I think Martin and Richardson are also pretty safe in this category as well. But guys like Rice, McCoy and to a lesser extent Spiller have talented backups and we don't have a lot of clarity as to how the new offensive staffs view RBBC vs. workhorse in terms of philosophy. Again, I find McCoy an especially worrisome guy in this regard. Philly is going to run a lot and he will get a lot of touches, but Chip Kelly is a wild card and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he rotates his backs more heavily than people are expecting a la Sean Payton, Bill Belichick, etc. as other "innovative, forward thinking" type coaches seem to be doing.

At #2, I am going with Jamaal Charles.

I just feel most comfortable with him in 2 areas:

1. Receptions- We know that Andy Reid is going to throw to his RB a lot. We have a decade's worth of data to look at. Every single report out of KC all summer has indicated they plan to throw it to JC a bunch. In contrast, I have no idea what to expect from a guy like Shady McCoy in this area. Would I be shocked if he caught 60 balls? No. But I also wouldn't be shocked if he ended up with 25 or 30. We just don't know. A bit too much guess work for PPR #2 in my opinion. I feel similarly about Spiller who is also in a brand new offense with a first time NFL head coach. Wouldn't shock me at all if he had 50+ catches, but it isn't a near lock like it is for Charles (if he stays healthy obviously).

2. Work horse status- Again, we have a decade long history of Reid tending to lean on one back. I'm also not overly impressed with the other options KC has at RB. I think Martin and Richardson are also pretty safe in this category as well. But guys like Rice, McCoy and to a lesser extent Spiller have talented backups and we don't have a lot of clarity as to how the new offensive staffs view RBBC vs. workhorse in terms of philosophy. Again, I find McCoy an especially worrisome guy in this regard. Philly is going to run a lot and he will get a lot of touches, but Chip Kelly is a wild card and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he rotates his backs more heavily than people are expecting a la Sean Payton, Bill Belichick, etc. as other "innovative, forward thinking" type coaches seem to be doing.

I agree to an extent, but McCoy is one of the better pass catching backs in the league also, as far as workhorse, before last season McCoy got a heavy workload and even if they do a RBBC, he will likely still get 20-25 touches a game..

I am still debating between these three, but with the Buffalo Qb situation, I have Spiller ranked 3rd, right now McCoy and Charles may be 1a and 1b

#2 I went with Spiller in my draft. I just think this guy is amazing and could be number 1 rb this year.

How do you not include Marshawn Lynch in this group?

Elite defense, very strong OLine, scrambling QB to keep defenses honest, and Beast Mode.

What am I missing about Lynch possibly going #6?

I think by the end of this season you are going to have to add David Wilson to this group.

right now, Wilson can still be had after the 1st round. So in reality one can draft one of these 3 guys and add Wilson later if they so choose
This is pretty much what I did in my draft... went Charles > Graham > Ridley > Wilson in the first four rounds. If Wilson hits like I think he does I should have 3 RB1's to end the season. I hoped and prayed that I got a pick besides 1.01 and ended up with 1.03 and was able to pull this draft off. Charles was really my 1.01 pick but I wouldn't have been able to really draft him 1.01 with Peterson there if I got the pick. I just think all the stars are aligned for Charles to have one of the best seasons any NFL backs had in ages. He's already put together some incredibly impressive seasons with worse offensive line play, worse qb play and worse coaching staffs. I'm giddy about his prospects this season and honestly had to own him because of my feelings towards the situation. Hopefully he pans out.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you not include Marshawn Lynch in this group?

Elite defense, very strong OLine, scrambling QB to keep defenses honest, and Beast Mode.

What am I missing about Lynch possibly going #6?
Aging

Two very capable backups

Non-factor in the passing game

I do like Lynch, but I don't quite have him up there with these guys.

This is pretty much what I did in my draft... went Charles > Graham > Ridley > Wilson in the first four rounds. If Wilson hits like I think he does I should have 3 RB1's to end the season. I hoped and prayed that I got a pick besides 1.01 and ended up with 1.03 and was able to pull this draft off. Charles was really my 1.01 pick but I wouldn't have been able to really draft him 1.01 with Peterson there if I got the pick. I just think all the stars are aligned for Charles to have one of the best seasons any NFL backs had in ages. He's already put together some incredibly impressive seasons with worse offensive line play, worse qb play and worse coaching staffs. I'm giddy about his prospects this season and honestly had to own him because of my feelings towards the situation. Hopefully he pans out.
How did your WRs turn out?

How did your WRs turn out?
Ummm... not to get to off topic. They could have turned out better, though they're far from awful. Antonio Brown, Mike Williams, Cecil Shorts, Marques Colston, Tavon Austin (KR/PR Yardage League), Kenbrell Thompkins. I took Thompkins with my 2nd to last pick in the draft and I'm feeling a LOT better about my WRs after that 3rd preseason game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Safer and at least as much upside for TRich.

Safest pick among all the stud RB's, IMO, when you take into account his proven willingness to produce through injury, his current health, his system, his coach's history, his line, his age, etc.
Not to mention his skill is off the charts.

Users who are viewing this thread