What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sports Scheduling Site/Spreadsheet/Template (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
I'm trying to create a schedule for a tournament we are hosting in the spring.

The Elimination bracket is the easy part.

The part I'm having trouble with is this.   We play "pool play" on Saturday.   Basically it's like a round robin but you only play 3 games.

If we have 8 teams - it's easy.  2 pools - everyone plays each other once.  Done.

I'm trying to cover all my options in case we end up with 1 pool - 7 teams etc.     (A team can play a 4th game that "doesn't count" for another team to play 3 games)

Anyone have a website/spreadsheet/etc?

I'm trying to create a schedule for a tournament we are hosting in the spring.

The Elimination bracket is the easy part.

The part I'm having trouble with is this.   We play "pool play" on Saturday.   Basically it's like a round robin but you only play 3 games.

If we have 8 teams - it's easy.  2 pools - everyone plays each other once.  Done.

I'm trying to cover all my options in case we end up with 1 pool - 7 teams etc.     (A team can play a 4th game that "doesn't count" for another team to play 3 games)

Anyone have a website/spreadsheet/etc?
Are you just looking for a round robin generator?

Are you just looking for a round robin generator?
Sort of.   A round robin generator but you don't play 6 games.

i.e - 7 teams a round robin generator would create 6 games to be played.   You are only playing 3.

I guess I could create a round robin and just pick 3 rounds?

Sort of.   A round robin generator but you don't play 6 games.

i.e - 7 teams a round robin generator would create 6 games to be played.   You are only playing 3.

I guess I could create a round robin and just pick 3 rounds?
Or play 2 pools of 4 and 3 and have 3 teams from pool 4 play a 4th game to give each team in pool 3 3 games

If you pick the pool of 7 it would need to be 4 rounds(odd number) to get to 3 games each

Pool A (4 teams)

Pool B (3 Teams)

Play round robin 1 round

Pool B will finish first since there will only be 3 total games

First team from Pool A to play 3 games plays team #1 from pool B to give them 3 games

Rinse/repeat for teams #2 and #3 from pool B

If you do a pool of seven I'm pretty sure only one team needs to play an extra game but thanks

Pool - Pond, Pond - Pool, Pond would be good for you.

Best of luck, good job scheduling, more games are always better.  We are fighting to have more games for both basketball and baseball.

If you do a pool of seven I'm pretty sure only one team needs to play an extra game but thanks
True, if you do that team 6, 7 and 2 will only have 2 games played after 3 rounds so you could pair 2 of them up and pick a team to play a 4th against the odd team

Last edited by a moderator:
Tourney Machine  - most of the groups that run tourneys around here either use Tourney Machine for their scheduling or use an app through Exposure Events.

This is for basketball tournaments but same concept, though most do a 3 game guarantee where it's 2 pool games on Saturday then bracket play on Sunday

Tourney Machine  - most of the groups that run tourneys around here either use Tourney Machine for their scheduling or use an app through Exposure Events.

This is for basketball tournaments but same concept, though most do a 3 game guarantee where it's 2 pool games on Saturday then bracket play on Sunday
I hope to never be in charge of scheduling so I'd rather not find out if he's right, but our guy uses Tourney Machine and says it's great.

I have been a particpant on tourney machine.  

Do you know how much it costs to post 1 tourney?

I have been a particpant on tourney machine.  

Do you know how much it costs to post 1 tourney?
I don't unfortunately - always been on the coach side of things.   pricing@tourneymachine.com is their contact address for pricing though.

Users who are viewing this thread