What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spurrier Resigns From Skins (1 Viewer)

I'm reminded of that wonderful Homer Simpson quote:"Bart, if something is too hard....just give up...."

Interesting link!IMO it probably will be a quick ending in Washington for Spurrier. A long ugly battle does nothing for either side, and will only lead to problems next season.On a name basis only, I wonder who can replace Spurrier in Snyders mind?

If I were washington, Id like to see Fassel there. A lot of young players and talent.JAA

Great stuff, I wonder who would coach the Skins? It's a conundrum because Snyder has the money to hire anyone he wants, but I would think the very best prospects would shun the job.Cheers

I'm reminded of that wonderful Homer Simpson quote:

"Bart, if something is too hard....just give up...."
classic--Now somebody should register here on FBG as "if it's too hard...just give up..." with their avatar as SpurrierI think Jimmy Johnson has been acting as if he would take the Washington job. Some have asked WHY would JJ come back now since he left Miami with out giving it enough time. Well JJ sees Parcells getting all this praise for motivating a 5-11 team to 10 wins. I'm sure JJ would also love to replace Spurrier and show-up an excollege rival coach by taking Washington to the playoffs.

From Washingtonpost.com: Spurrier to Resign as Redskins Head Coach By Mark MaskeWashington Post Staff WriterTuesday, December 30, 2003; 12:50 PM Steve Spurrier has told his assistant coaches that he intends to resign as head coach of the Washington Redskins, sources said today. Spurrier, reached today on his cell phone, said he would comment later on his status. "I don't have time to talk about that stuff right now," Spurrier said. Sources said there will be no buyout of Spurrier's contract, which still has three years remaining at $5 million a season. Spurrier went 12-20 in two seasons as Redskins coach. The Redskins will give him some money to cover some of his expenses, sources said.

That's actually too bad. I think in time, he could've made a good NFL coach. He was beginning to show signs of treating it more as a pro game as opposed to a college game (awarding starting position to whoever does best in weekly practices, being more flexible with the game plan) Gotta think Snyder is already on the phone with Dan Reeves.

Great stuff, I wonder who would coach the Skins? It's a conundrum because Snyder has the money to hire anyone he wants, but I would think the very best prospects would shun the job.Cheers
I'm placing money on Dan Reeves. He's got the proven track record, and Snyder has a habit of going after people several years past their peak.

Thank you Santa for bringing what I asked for. If you give the Skins a GM I will be a good boy all this year too.

The Redskins will never win with Snyder running the team. I'm amazed how owners can make billions of dollars in the business world, then totally ruin a sports franchise. Snyder makes Mike Brown look like a genius

From Washingtonpost.com: Spurrier to Resign as Redskins Head Coach By Mark MaskeWashington Post Staff WriterTuesday, December 30, 2003; 12:50 PM Steve Spurrier has told his assistant coaches that he intends to resign as head coach of the Washington Redskins, sources said today. Spurrier, reached today on his cell phone, said he would comment later on his status. "I don't have time to talk about that stuff right now," Spurrier said. Sources said there will be no buyout of Spurrier's contract, which still has three years remaining at $5 million a season. Spurrier went 12-20 in two seasons as Redskins coach. The Redskins will give him some money to cover some of his expenses, sources said.
was just going to post this...nice thing about Wanny's contract "extension" is that it's cheaper for MIA to buy out (from what I hear)

It may not be true, at least not yet.Washington Post Article

The Washington Redskins announced the resignation of Coach Steve Spurrier today only to have Spurrier deny that he had resigned moments later. "I have not resigned," Spurrier said by cellphone. "I've got a representative looking into some issues but I have not resigned. If they say that I have, that is not true. I'm not sure it is heading in that direction right now. We are seeing where it goes but I have not resigned."

Because Spurrier resigned, he cannot coach in the league for the next three years unless a future NFL employer is willing to give the Redskins compensation, in the form of draft picks, cash, or both.

I was just going to post what JAA just posted. Very interesting.What if he goes back to college? I assume he is free and clear to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Redskins will never win with Snyder running the team. I'm amazed how owners can make billions of dollars in the business world, then totally ruin a sports franchise. Snyder makes Mike Brown look like a genius
Total agreement here. The Redskins management is not set up to win. Case in point: when the Redskins went into the bye week, I think after a bad loss to Buffalo. This would have been the perfect time for an owner/GM to say he has faith in his team and try to unify the team. Instead, the Redskins make a number of roster moves including cutting Rob Johnson. There was one OL that was cut, resigned, and cut again during the by week. It looked like the Redskin's management was in a panic. This cannot help the team in any way.

That is awful news...for us who root for other teams in the NFC East. Lil' Danny might get lucky and hire a good coach now.
Yeah, but will he end up with...shall I dare say it..JIMMY JOHNSON....

How about this scenario?Chiefs win the Super Bowl. Vermeil resigns after a tear-filled White House ceremony. Snyder kidnaps him from the South Lawn and doesn't release ol' **** until he signs a 3-year, 30 million dollar contract...Nah, that's not weird enough for the Skins... :wall: :wall: :wall:

I don't believe that's true - I thought the NFL ended the coach/compensation. All it does is free Washington from the contract, i.e. Green in MIN. Unless there's something more substantial anyone can point to.

That is awful news...for us who root for other teams in the NFC East. Lil' Danny might get lucky and hire a good coach now.
even if he does, i don't think even a good coach can do a really good job working for snyder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never happen.If he was offered $10 million per year and total control it wouldn't happen.
I remember a certain TV guy said that once too. But he ended up taking it....Marty S.( not going to even attempt to spell that last name)

Curiouser and curiouser. The Skins say Spurrier's agent told them to make the announcement, while Spurrier is denying resigning. Is Spurrier just not abreast of the his agent's talk with the team, or are the Redskins announcing it and hoping he will then resign.

Washington Post Article being updated every 10 minutes or so

"I have not resigned," Spurrier said by cellphone. "I've got a representative looking into some issues but I have not resigned. If they say that I have, that is not true. I'm not sure it is heading in that direction right now. We are seeing where it goes but I have not resigned."

A team source said that Spurrier's new agent, Jimmy Sexton, told the Redskins to issue the news release.

.....When Danny Woerful rejected a contract offer in mid season b/c he was tired of being jerked around by the entire Redskin organization, to me, that was the handwriting on the wall.....and you know that Ron Zook won't sleep very good until Spurrier gets another job b/c every Gator game that goes wrong, someone will say "hire Spurrier".

Curiouser and curiouser. The Skins say Spurrier's agent told them to make the announcement, while Spurrier is denying resigning. Is Spurrier just not abreast of the his agent's talk with the team, or are the Redskins announcing it and hoping he will then resign.

Washington Post Article being updated every 10 minutes or so

"I have not resigned," Spurrier said by cellphone. "I've got a representative looking into some issues but I have not resigned. If they say that I have, that is not true. I'm not sure it is heading in that direction right now. We are seeing where it goes but I have not resigned."

A team source said that Spurrier's new agent, Jimmy Sexton, told the Redskins to issue the news release.
Let's all sing together now...Should I stay or should I go now?

Should I stay or should I go now?

If I go there will be trouble

An' if I stay it will be double

So come on and let me know

Should I stay or should I go?

This is hilarious. The Redskins soap opera continues.It is really a pretty simple situation. Since there is a written contract in place, the resignation should be in writing. So if the Snyder has a written resignation signed by Spurrier, he has officially resigned. If not, his contract is still in effect.Neither Snyder nor Spurrier needs a PR campaign on this issue. Most likely, someone at the Redskins prematurely issued a press release. Oooopppps. Now they have a big mess to clean up.

This is hilarious. The Redskins soap opera continues.It is really a pretty simple situation. Since there is a written contract in place, the resignation should be in writing. So if the Snyder has a written resignation signed by Spurrier, he has officially resigned. If not, his contract is still in effect.Neither Snyder nor Spurrier needs a PR campaign on this issue. Most likely, someone at the Redskins prematurely issued a press release. Oooopppps. Now they have a big mess to clean up.
It's just end game.Spurrier hired Sexson for one reason. To get him out of the contract with some chance of going elsewhere in the NFL to any owner stupid enough to hire him. *cough* Blank *cough*!So Snyder agrees to waive the compensation for Spurrier getting hired elsewhere, and Spurrier agrees to not seek a buyout on the remaining $15 million or force Snyder to fire him.

Listening to Sportstalk 980 - According to the Redskin's beat reporter, Spurrier is gone. Apparently Jimmy Sexton (his agent as of today) is putting the cabash on the resignation so that Spurrier can come out of this with some of the $15mm left on his contract. But Spurrier is gone. The only issue is will he get any money besides moving expenses.

OK, this is just a fight about exit money. ESPN has also backed off their initial report and now is including Spurrrier's denial of resignation. updated ESPN Article

WASHINGTON -- The Redskins announced this afternoon that Steve Spurrier has resigned as coach after two losing seasons.Or did he?Shortly after the announcement, in a cellphone conversation, Spurrier told The Washington Post that he did not quit."I have not resigned. I've got a representative looking into some issues but I have not resigned," Spurrier told The Post. "If they say that I have, that is not true. I'm not sure it is heading in that direction right now. We are seeing where it goes but I have not resigned."Spurrier called Redskins owner Dan Snyder on Tuesday morning and offered his resignation, according to team spokesman Karl Swanson."It was totally unexpected," Swanson said, and Snyder accepted it with "much regret."Spurrier's replacement would be the fifth head coach since Snyder bought the team in 1999.<b>If he resigns without some sort of exit deal, Spurrier, who had three years remaining on his contract at a total of $15 million, will get none of that money.</b> However, it was reported earlier today that the Redskins will cover the former coach's moving expenses, if he resigns.And, if he resigns without an agreement, Spurrier cannot coach in the league for the next three years unless a future NFL employer is willing to give the Redskins compensation, in the form of draft picks, cash, or both.Spurrier's exit would end a failed attempt to bring his Fun 'n' Gun offense from the University of Florida to the NFL. He would be leaving the team three days after the Redskins finished 5-11, losing 10 of their last 12 games. His five-year, $25 million contract is the richest ever for an NFL coach.If Spurrier leaves, his departure may have been expedited by prominent agent Jimmy Sexton, whom Spurrier retained recently.Spurrier said repeatedly in recent weeks that he planned to return for a third season, although there was wide speculation about his future with the Redskins.Spurrier clashed with Snyder over personnel moves, particularly the owner's decision to cut quarterback Danny Wuerffel at the end of training camp.But Spurrier also was hurt by an inability to enforce discipline on players, especially after defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis left to become the Cincinnati Bengals' head coach.The Redskins set a franchise record for penalties this season, and players described a lax atmosphere in which tardiness was tolerated, cell phones rang during meetings and on-field errors weren't corrected at practice.Snyder had suggested that Spurrier's staff, the most inexperienced in the NFL and top-heavy with former Florida Gator assistants, needed an upgrade. But by contract, Spurrier had the right to hire and fire members of his staff. Spurrier also was said to be seeking added sway in roster and personnel matters, something he previously has not requested.<b>There is no small degree of irony in Spurrier retaining Sexton; the agent represents several prominent Redskins, among them quarterback Patrick Ramsey, offensive linemen Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas, and middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter.</b> Sexton also has worked with Snyder extensively in the past.

Listening to Sportstalk 980 - According to the Redskin's beat reporter, Spurrier is gone. Apparently Jimmy Sexton (his agent as of today) is putting the cabash on the resignation so that Spurrier can come out of this with some of the $15mm left on his contract. But Spurrier is gone. The only issue is will he get any money besides moving expenses.
That would be Bram Weinstein, right? He's usually pretty accurate.

The only issue is will he get any money besides moving expenses.
How on earth could a guy who made $5mil a year need help with the cost of moving? Last time I checked, Uhaul wasn't that expensive.

Spurrier was a complete moron for ever taking that job... he'd be even MORE of a moron for staying..

Never happen.If he was offered $10 million per year and total control it wouldn't happen.
I wouldn't go that far, Spike. Snyder would tell Jimmy, "What better way to stick up Jones' ### than for you to coach a rival team in hsi division?"

Why does everyone hate on spurrier so bad. As a personal director the past 2 years he has brought in nothing but good talent. He has tried hard as he possibly could to shore up the o line problems (signed two of the best FA guards in consecutive years), took a chance on a potentially dynamic rb with only a third round draft pick (what a steal, even though he didnt pan out) and drafted a qb with lots of promise. He also signed a hell of a receiver in coles, and even though his contract is large, he has been playing great even with subpar quarterback play due to injuries and offensive line woes. On the D side of things he brought in 2 good vet linebackers to try and stop the run, but his owner keeps changing defensive coordinators on him. The biggest problem with the team is chemistry, and yes, that is a coach's job, but at the same time changing d coordinators every single year cant help the D chemistry out, and the O was finally picking it up under ramsey. When ramsey got hurt the team was lost, look at the jets, or the falcons, ramsey was the key to the fun and gun and it was actually starting to work, but without him hasselsuck couldnt do anything. Betts was also a huge steal that spurrier got, and taylor jacobs is still learning and has lots of potential. All in all i think spurrier had a hell of a plan, and if given enough time would have turned that team around. 2 years filled with injuries in a tough division isnt enough to get a coach fired in my opinion.

The Redskins need someone like Jimmy Johnson who will run the entire team and somehow still make Snyder feel important. Without some structure, the Redskins are hurting.

Users who are viewing this thread