What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stand in the Middle (1 Viewer)

AAABatteries

Footballguy
I've mentioned on these forms before that when I do attend church I go to one of Andy Stanley's churches.  He was recently the chaplain of the day at the Georgia House of Representatives.  It's long (about 12.5 minutes of his speech - go to 2:08 to skip intro) but worth watching (IMO).

Tl;dw

• Organizations are only as good as their leaders
  • Disagreement is unavoidable but division is always a choice
  • There's advantages to division (raise more money, fear is an asset, easy to demonize and mischaracterize the other side)
  • Those of you who pander to and foster division - you are terrible leaders
  • If you need an enemy in order to lead then you are a poor leader
  • Just because somebody considers you their enemy doesn't mean you have to return the favor
  • Fundamental Attribution Error - ascribing someone else's behavior as a character issue but ascribing their own behavior as circumstantial or environmental.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCBqacASZys

@Joe Bryant - I think you've made reference to knowing Stanley and having listened to him before.  Thought you might enjoy this speech.

I've mentioned on these forms before that when I do attend church I go to one of Andy Stanley's churches.  He was recently the chaplain of the day at the Georgia House of Representatives.  It's long (about 12.5 minutes of his speech - go to 2:08 to skip intro) but worth watching (IMO).

Tl;dw

• There's advantages to division (raise more money, fear is an asset, easy to demonize and mischaracterize the other side)
  • Just because somebody considers you their enemy doesn't mean you have to return the favor
  • Fundamental Attribution Error - ascribing someone else's behavior as a character issue but ascribing their own behavior as circumstantial or environmental.

@Joe Bryant - I think you've made reference to knowing Stanley and having listened to him before.  Thought you might enjoy this speech.

Thanks for sharing. Love that. I'm a Andy Stanely fan. He's a gifted communicator and I think brings some common sense type angles like these you list. 

Thanks for summarizing for us. I'll check it out. 

Thanks. That was good. This one is really interesting to me. I'm Christian and have attended church my whole life. Sure, there are plenty of times when I, and most Christians, fail to live this out, but I'm at least familiar with this idea and regularly hear people affirm this idea as the way we are supposed to act. However, while I've spent a ton of time in a culture that at least affirms this idea with their words, it's an idea that I regularly hear people flat out reject in the larger culture of our society. And I wonder if one reason that a lot of people reject this idea is because those who affirm it continually fail to live it (including myself in this).

Last edited by a moderator:

Tl;dw

This was fantastic.   And applicable to daily life.   I needed to watch this today.

Andy Stanley is a good teacher, my dad and I have done a few of his studies. I try to remember that while I disagree with people at times, they’re still people, made in God’s image, and I try to see them as He sees them.

I was married to a devout Christian and everyone seemed truly perplexed that we maintained a loving relationship despite me being an atheist.  It was easy, as well as all my relationships with numerous friends/acquaintances.  Simply put, don't be a butthole and be good to people.  We've always done that with each other....so absolutely no problems concerning religion.  Now, fantasy football, OTOH :)

If half the folks we know would do even HALF of what he's suggesting....what a wonderful world it would be.

I was married to a devout Christian and everyone seemed truly perplexed that we maintained a loving relationship despite me being an atheist.  It was easy, as well as all my relationships with numerous friends/acquaintances.  Simply put, don't be a butthole and be good to people.  We've always done that with each other....so absolutely no problems concerning religion.  Now, fantasy football, OTOH :)

If half the folks we know would do even HALF of what he's suggesting....what a wonderful world it would be.
I think some of the confusion is that some people see Atheism as giving yourself a license to do whatever you want whenever you want without going to hell.  And it perhaps it does.  That doesn’t seem fair.  To be honest I go back and forth on atheism vs theism.  

I think some of the confusion is that some people see Atheism as giving yourself a license to do whatever you want whenever you want without going to hell.  And it perhaps it does.  That doesn’t seem fair.  To be honest I go back and forth on atheism vs theism.  
This reads like you think there is a jealousy component at play.   Like atheists are free to do what they want and theists have to abide by rules?   Is that what you meant? 

Thank you.

@fatguyinalittlecoat has talked here about not knowing many Christians in real life and how this board was helpful for him. I had the same experience not knowing many athiest folks in real life (at least that talked about it) and this board was helpful for me in that way. I think many Christians have this view of Athiests as the angry enemy. My experience was the opposite. Most I encountered were just like you and very kind and courteous to me and my faith. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was really good, thanks for sharing.

This was fantastic.   And applicable to daily life.   I needed to watch this today.

Stanley is about as good as it gets for pastoral communication and this message was no different.  I recommend his book Visioneering  if you are trying to establish your own personal vision.  Definitely leans religious but most of the concepts are transferable, IMO.

As for this speech - he's never been afraid to say the hard things and make people uncomfortable but manages to do it in a way where it doesn't come across as judgemental. 

As for this speech - he's never been afraid to say the hard things and make people uncomfortable but manages to do it in a way where it doesn't come across as judgemental. 
I really agree with this and plan to share the link liberally with many friends/family.  He verbalizes thoughts I've tried to express for years much better than I ever could. This was an excellent share, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread