What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Trek (1 Viewer)

The key thing about this movie is that it's a really GREAT movie that

just happens to be a Star Trek movie. It's not getting excellent reviews

across the board for no reason. Whether you're a Star Trek fan or not

(I'm not) there's something in this movie for everyone: humor, character

development, action, effects, you name it.

It's gonna make a fortune this weekend.

I have reserved seating at a nice digital theater here for Saturday - dead center of the theater. :welcome:

My wife was adamant about not seeing this movie months ago, when I showed her the Entertainment Weekly cover story on the movie. After seeing the latest trailer last night, she's softened her stance to 'I'll go see it if you'll pay for it.' In another week I'm confident she'll be telling me she wants to go see the movie on date night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have reserved seating at a nice digital theater here for Saturday - dead center of the theater. :goodposting:
How do you reserve a particular seat?
There are 3-4 VERY nice theaters here in Salt Lake that do reserved seating. So you go online the day they are open to buy and buy your seats - you get to choose your seat assignments and all. Pretty sweet that I have had awesome seats opening weekend for the last couple of years.

I have reserved seating at a nice digital theater here for Saturday - dead center of the theater. :)
There are 3-4 VERY nice theaters here in Salt Lake that do reserved seating. So you go online the day they are open to buy and buy your seats - you get to choose your seat assignments and all. Pretty sweet that I have had awesome seats opening weekend for the last couple of years.
:thumbup:

so this opens today. anyone seen it yet? I am not a big fan of the old Star Trek, but I am super hot in the ### for this movie.

so this opens today. anyone seen it yet? I am not a big fan of the old Star Trek, but I am super hot in the ### for this movie.
Opened yesterday where I am at, and caught the 7PM show.I am a Star Trek fan, but not a rabbid one. That being said, a very enjoyable movie. The "origins" of certains character trademarks are fun to observe. I would recommend it without any issue to fans and non fans alike.LAfan68

Just came back from seeing this. Really excellent. It's great how the actors really nailed their original counterparts. And the guy who plays Bones knocked it out of the park. I swear I'm wondering if they somehow digitally altered his voice with DeForest Kelly's. It's that uncanny. My own problem is the camera action during the fight scenes. I couldn't tell what the heck was going on, though maybe I was sitting too close. I guess I'll have to go watch it again.

I'm gonna have to download this, or take a sick day at work.

My wife would never go to a Star Trek movie.

As I said in a couple of earlier posts, this movie is a VERY good action/comedy/sci-fi movie that just happens to be a Star Trek movie.If you want to see a film with good character development, very funny dialog, great action and TOP NOTCH Visual Effects, this is theone for you.

Staying in AC this weekend, went to the Tropicana IMAX theater today to see it.

:( + :goodposting: :shrug:

Lots of action with just enough old school Star Trek shtick moments to make it funny and not cheesy.

Jaysus> going to Jonuzi's now. :bye:

I'm a Trekkie (still the preferred word to me) from way back.

This movie kicks butt and is most satisfactory. Both my kids, wife, and MIL really liked it.

I can only pick out a couple nitpicks:

1) The Chekov character is just a little too close to Jar Jar Binks mode for me.

2) The "shaky cam" style employed in a few shots was better left to Battlestar Galactica.

3) Major spoiler

mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

I understand the concept of "economy of storytelling". But to have Kirk et. al. go directly from graduating Starfleet Academy to manning the Federation's flagship after only one engagement (regardless of how huge) is a major, major stretch. So Kirk got the "Go directly to 'GO' and collect $200" card and skipped every rank in an instant? Didn't work for me.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

But whatever. Those are minor things and the movie is terrific.

This movie kicks butt and is most satisfactory. Both my kids, wife, and MIL really liked it.

I can only pick out a couple nitpicks:

1) The Chekov character is just a little too close to Jar Jar Binks mode for me.

2) The "shaky cam" style employed in a few shots was better left to Battlestar Galactica.

3) Major spoiler

I understand the concept of "economy of storytelling". But to have Kirk et. al. go directly from graduating Starfleet Academy to manning the Federation's flagship after only one engagement (regardless of how huge) is a major, major stretch. So Kirk got the "Go directly to 'GO' and collect $200" card and skipped every rank in an instant? Didn't work for me.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

But whatever. Those are minor things and the movie is terrific.
mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("I thought it was more of a stretch that he made Kirk first officer after Kirk was essentially a stowaway who was supposed to be suspended.

Obviously Pike had a huge man-crush on Kirk the whole time.

Didn't bother me though. He's supposed to be that one in a million born with 'it' person that is born to be a captain of a starship.

What bothered me really was the Spock-Uhura getting their mack on the transporter scene. Seems unprofessional for any Starfleet officer but especially a half-Vulcan.

Maybe I missed it but did they ever explain how Nero and Spock's ships were sucked up by the same black hole and yet Spock came out 25 years later? And how did Nero know when Spock would reappear? Obviously this was the basis for Nero kicking some butt early, letting Kirk's dad save the day, and then have Nero disappear for years so Kirk could grow up. *** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***

");document.close();

I'm not a Trekkie, but I had a lot of fun watching this movie. It's been a while since I've seen a good movie at the theater.

Talked about the differences between Wolverine and Star Trek with a friend. I've definitely read a lot more comics, kept up with the x-men, so it felt like my standards for Wolverine were a lot higher. Ended up hating Wolverine.

I came into Star Trek without that kind of baggage...might explain why I thought it was so much more enjoyable. But I still think regardless of the baggage, Star Trek was a much better film in terms of storyline, character development.

Looking forward to the sequels.

Uhura was nice to look at. The guy who played Bones did the best job. Also thought Sylar from Heroes did a great job as Spock. Didn't get how they became romantically involved. Maybe I missed it.

I agree though, a few of the action scenes were cut a bit too quickly, but that's really minor. I'm getting used to that.

Special effects were done well. The wide screen, the circular static when they teleported - it's been a while since I've seen a futuristic sci fi movie made with today's movie technology. Really well done.

As for the Black Hole, Spock explained it by saying that despite going in seconds after Nero, going through the Black Hole slowed down time. That was my take on it.*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

I have reserved seating at a nice digital theater here for Saturday - dead center of the theater. :excited:
Got seats dead center at the 10:45 showing, without this fancy ability to reserve specific seats. How you may ask? Prom night, and all those kiddies were doing things much more interesting than watching a movie.

Maybe I missed it but did they ever explain how Nero and Spock's ships were sucked up by the same black hole and yet Spock came out 25 years later? And how did Nero know when Spock would reappear? Obviously this was the basis for Nero kicking some butt early, letting Kirk's dad save the day, and then have Nero disappear for years so Kirk could grow up. *** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();
mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("re: "25 years later"...

Because Spock entered the black hole AFTER Nero did. They're playing with the theory of relativity a bit to say that the increased gravity and early entry into the black hole for Nero meant a difference in years for Spock entering the black hole only seconds later in Spock's timeframe. Or some pseudo-science like that.

Nero knows *where* Spock will emerge because, in theory, it would be the same place that Nero emerged but the *when* is just a leap of faith of the audience to just say, "ok. it's just a movie" and roll with it, imo.

Actually, there was an entire sequence cut from the movie where Nero gets captured and put in prison, only to break out to finally capture Spock, but it ended up on the cutting room floor. I guess they felt no need to have to show what Nero did all those years while he waited for Spock to arrive.

Speaking of deleted scenes, there was also a "birth of Spock" sequence that was originally paired with the "birth of Kirk" sequence, but that was deamed unnecessary as well as the movie was tightened up in the edit.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***

");document.close();

I'm gonna have to download this, or take a sick day at work.

My wife would never go to a Star Trek movie.
It's a good movie, don't need to be in to Star Trek. I didn't go with my wife because she thought the same. Now she wants to go see it after she's seen the reviews and noticed all the actors in the movie. My inner nerd will feed off of this for a while, so I'll have no problem watching it again.See it in IMAX if you can.

As am I and I prefer the term Trekkie. Those that want to argue Trekker are super :excited: I'm hoping to catch this tonight, I'll be going by myself as my wife nor daughter are interested and I just can't wait for my son to get home from college. I'll most likely go with him later.

:shrug: :lmao:

Real fun action/sci-fi movie. I don't know enough about the original series to notice or be concerned about any inconsistencies. But the clean slate they gave themselves with the time travel/"alternate reality" was pretty brilliant.

I didn't even recognize Eric Bana as the head bad guy. Real good work by him.

I liked it. It didn't blow me away or anything, but it was a solid action movie. I'd put it on par with Iron Man.

I didn't know this until last night (on Jimmy Kimmel), but the actor who plays Kirk is the son of the actor who was the Lieutenant on "CHiPS".

I loved that show as a kid, so it was kind of cool to see that .

As am I and I prefer the term Trekkie. Those that want to argue Trekker are super :thumbup: I'm hoping to catch this tonight, I'll be going by myself as my wife nor daughter are interested and I just can't wait for my son to get home from college. I'll most likely go with him later.
Star Trek is important enough that it warrants solo viewing. I saw Underworld and the second LOTR movie by myself when nobody else wanted to see em.

My wife was adamant about not seeing this movie months ago, when I showed her the Entertainment Weekly cover story on the movie. After seeing the latest trailer last night, she's softened her stance to 'I'll go see it if you'll pay for it.' In another week I'm confident she'll be telling me she wants to go see the movie on date night.
This makes no sense.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Real fun action/sci-fi movie. I don't know enough about the original series to notice or be concerned about any inconsistencies. But the clean slate they gave themselves with the time travel/"alternate reality" was pretty brilliant.

I didn't even recognize Eric Bana as the head bad guy. Real good work by him.
did not know that was him

I have reserved seating at a nice digital theater here for Saturday - dead center of the theater. :thumbup:
This is :thumbup: :confused:

The Green Girl is Rachel Nichols not Doira Bard

She is from P2 and the last season of Alias and is in GI Joe, and also very hot.

Just got back from it. Very entertaining. It's a character-driven movie rather than a plot-driven movie (the plot was kind of hokie, imo), and the actors did a great job with their roles.

Just got back. I think the best comment I have is that you could anticipate and totally predict every single "Star Trek" quote and yet every single one of them was priceless.

"I'm giving 'er all she's got cap'n."

"Damnit Jim, I'm a Doctor, not a Physicist."

Spock, Bones, and Kirk were, to borrow a quote from My Cousin Vinnie, Dead On Balls Accurate.

Just got back. I think the best comment I have is that you could anticipate and totally predict every single "Star Trek" quote and yet every single one of them was priceless."I'm giving 'er all she's got cap'n.""Damnit Jim, I'm a Doctor, not a Physicist."Spock, Bones, and Kirk were, to borrow a quote from My Cousin Vinnie, Dead On Balls Accurate.
:goodposting: Only one that was a little weird was Sulu. Kept waiting for him to say he was going to White Castle to check out milfs.

the movie has genius in it.

creating the alternate universe, changing the timeline.

this now allows for a whole different start trek, while keeping the original as a whole separate entity.

JJ Abrams not only rebooted Star Trek, he recreated it.

Users who are viewing this thread