What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Trek (1 Viewer)

I have been a Star Trek fan for years, so I was really stoked to see this movie tonight with my son. He didn't know much about the series or characters. I thought it was a very good movie, but I think he enjoyed it even more than I did. His expectations were not as high as mine. The casting was very good. The only action movie I've enjoyed more in the past few years was "Dark Knight". I am really hopeful since this release will make some people lots of money, that the second movie in the Star Trek series will be as good as this first one.

:mellow: :lmao:

Real fun action/sci-fi movie. I don't know enough about the original series to notice or be concerned about any inconsistencies. But the clean slate they gave themselves with the time travel/"alternate reality" was pretty brilliant.

I didn't even recognize Eric Bana as the head bad guy. Real good work by him.
did not know that was him
what about winona ryder as spocks mom!

I thought it was great story telling and I loved the new take on old characters, quite a treat.

The movie flew by, I could of watched another hour.

Superb Job by all involved.

You know what actor doesn't get enough credit? Bruce Greenwood (Capt. Pike). Dude is solid in everything he's in. He was terrific as Kennedy in 13 Days.
:jawdrop: I was discussing this very thing with one of my buddies last night as we left the theater.

The guy that played Bones did an astonishing job of mimicking DeForest Kelly's mannerisms as the same character.
I told the same buddy that I thought "the guy that played Bones" looks a ton like Eomer from LOTR - didn't realize it actually WAS Karl Urban until the credits rolled. He did an amazing job. I've seen it twice - midnight Thurs then Fri night on IMAX - thought it was outstanding.

- lots of very appropriate nods to the original with the quotes etc. but thought the crew made the roles their own very well

- the lights coming on and revealing that the chick was an Orion (ie green) was a brilliant nod.

- the space scenes - especially the jumps to warp (FTL, anyone?!?) reminded me a lot of BSG in a very good way

- A few major leaps of faith in the plot, but for whatever reason the second time I watched they didn't bother me as much

- the timeline reset was a clever and respectful way to clean the slate for future stories. I really feared a Bobby in the shower type moment

I hope the box office crushes expectations and ensures a long line of future films (I have a feeling I'll never get enough of this crew, however)

wraith5 said:
- the timeline reset was a clever and respectful way to clean the slate for future stories. I really feared a Bobby in the shower type moment
mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("That what I thought would happen after they narrowly escaped destruction by the black hole at the end. I figured it would give the writers an opportunity to move the ship back to the "normal" timeline with some space-time trickery.

Now that people are pointing it out, the plot appears to be a lot less hokie and a lot more genius, at least from the standpoint of setting up a tabula rasa for new movies.*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***

");document.close();

I enjoyed it. I have to agree, I think Karl Urban was channeling DeForest Kelley.

While watching the credits I noticed Keenser, Scotty's little friend, was played by Deep Roy. He was the Oompa Loompa in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I enjoyed it. I have to agree, I think Karl Urban was channeling DeForest Kelley.While watching the credits I noticed Keenser, Scotty's little friend, was played by Deep Roy. He was the Oompa Loompa in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Hopefully the Depp version and not the Wilder version. That would make him one really old midget.

Do the actors stay as loyal to their character blueprints in subsequent movies? Pine I can see playing it straightforwardly, but for Urban, who obviously did a lot of work to get his Deforrest Kelley down, it might be tough to maintain that over a couple more movie shootings.

JZilla said:
Real fun action/sci-fi movie. I don't know enough about the original series to notice or be concerned about any inconsistencies. But the clean slate they gave themselves with the time travel/"alternate reality" was pretty brilliant.
shining path said:
Just got back from it. Very entertaining. It's a character-driven movie rather than a plot-driven movie (the plot was kind of hokie, imo), and the actors did a great job with their roles.
Red Apples said:
the movie has genius in it.creating the alternate universe, changing the timeline.this now allows for a whole different start trek, while keeping the original as a whole separate entity.JJ Abrams not only rebooted Star Trek, he recreated it.
These. Much better than most blockbuster films.

Red Apples said:
fsufan said:
JZilla said:
:thumbup: :thumbup:

I didn't even recognize Eric Bana as the head bad guy. Real good work by him.
did not know that was him
what about winona ryder as spocks mom!
:shock: Holy crap!

wraith5 said:
Andy Dufresne said:
You know what actor doesn't get enough credit? Bruce Greenwood (Capt. Pike). Dude is solid in everything he's in. He was terrific as Kennedy in 13 Days.
:goodposting: I was discussing this very thing with one of my buddies last night as we left the theater.

Andy Dufresne said:
The guy that played Bones did an astonishing job of mimicking DeForest Kelly's mannerisms as the same character.
I told the same buddy that I thought "the guy that played Bones" looks a ton like Eomer from LOTR - didn't realize it actually WAS Karl Urban until the credits rolled. He did an amazing job. I've seen it twice - midnight Thurs then Fri night on IMAX - thought it was outstanding.

- lots of very appropriate nods to the original with the quotes etc. but thought the crew made the roles their own very well

- the lights coming on and revealing that the chick was an Orion (ie green) was a brilliant nod.

- the space scenes - especially the jumps to warp (FTL, anyone?!?) reminded me a lot of BSG in a very good way

- A few major leaps of faith in the plot, but for whatever reason the second time I watched they didn't bother me as much

I hope the box office crushes expectations and ensures a long line of future films (I have a feeling I'll never get enough of this crew, however)
The timeline reset/plot twist was INCREDIBLE! What a smart way to reinvent the franchise for a new generation. I am amazed at the job Abrams did. He adhered to the Trekkie canon and still produced a unique winner...BRAVO!

I'm an old-guard Trek fan -- grew up on The Original Series (TOS) and even though I enjoyed TNG, Deep Space 9, Voyager, etc. I wasn't as big a fan as I was of the original cast.

This movie was *amazing*. :thumbup: The thing I find most interesting about the way the plot worked out is that the creators now have almost an obligation to recast/retell some of the classic TOS episodes in future movies. Given the quality of this film, I can't wait to see what they come up with.

To that end, I thought this was a really interesting idea:

'Star Trek': Javier Bardem as Khan?

TUESDAY, MAY 5, 2009 AT 5:27PM

Star Trek could be huge. I've got it as the number three movie of the summer in terms of box office, behind Transformers and Harry Potter, but it has the most upside of any movie in theaters over the next few months. We know there will be a sequel, and now the creative team behind a reboot is talking about the sequel, albeit in very basic terms.

"The good news is that there's a deal for the writers and a deal for the actors. It's in place," J.J. Abrams told Coming Soon. "We have not had one meeting. We have not had one discussion. There's no outline. There's no script. There's nothing. We're fishing for ideas."

What seems likely is for the Bad Robot collective to embrace some of the more traditional Star Trek storylines, giving some of the classic villains and alien civilizations new leases on life. So when the idea of Kahn was broached by the site - which had the brilliant idea to cast Javier Bardem - writer Roberto Orci said, "Did you know we've actually mentioned that out loud as a possibility? What a great idea."

Added Damon Lindelof, "That's a no-brainer. That would be the most amazing thing ever."

Khan worked exquisitely for the last Star Treek II, so why not again? And if there's a better name out there than Bardem, it doesn't come to mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Trek movie ... and one of the best *movies* I've ever seen. Not much more to say ... it will be the top movie of 2009 over Wolverine, Terminator, Transformers2, etc.

Not a Star Trek fan, never watched a full Star Trek movie. Being a 30 year old American I know the general premise.

This was an amazing movie!

Just bought more tickets for the IMAX for Thursday night for myself and 10 guys in the neighborhood. :) Reserved seating, of course. First row of the balcony. :shock:

Well shoot. I guess I'm wrong. I thought it was more like Star Wars than Star Trek, as it was much less cerebral and much more flashy CGI.

I thought it was terrible until the time shift was revealed. That gave them free reign and made it much more enjoyable for me. They could have cut the Spock romance garbage. My wife, who has never seen anything regarding this franchise, thought it was "really good."

I caught the Porthos reference. I laughed for that.

It was fine. I could have done without the Muppet Babies treatment of Trek. And for a split second, I balked at the idea of ships traveling through black holes. But you just turn off your brain and go with it. I didn't think it was revelatory or anything, just a fun little action movie.

Pine is certainly an engaging screen presence.

Well shoot. I guess I'm wrong. I thought it was more like Star Wars than Star Trek, as it was much less cerebral and much more flashy CGI.

I thought it was terrible until the time shift was revealed. That gave them free reign and made it much more enjoyable for me. They could have cut the Spock romance garbage. My wife, who has never seen anything regarding this franchise, thought it was "really good."

I caught the Porthos reference. I laughed for that.
I agree, though I don't think that is a good thing.

I saw the movie this past weekend. I loved it. Can't wait for the sequel. The green chick was smokin hot.

Some have mentioned going with their kids. Question: What do you think about bringing my 8 1/2 year old? I know the movie is PG-13, but there are various levels of PG-13 (and each kid has his own tolerance). My measuring stick: My son has seen all Star Wars flicks except for Revenge of the Sith (and loved them). He recently watched Men in Black, and liked it, but spend 20% of the movie with his head hidden under a pillow because it spooked him.

Thoughts?

Some have mentioned going with their kids. Question: What do you think about bringing my 8 1/2 year old? I know the movie is PG-13, but there are various levels of PG-13 (and each kid has his own tolerance). My measuring stick: My son has seen all Star Wars flicks except for Revenge of the Sith (and loved them). He recently watched Men in Black, and liked it, but spend 20% of the movie with his head hidden under a pillow because it spooked him. Thoughts?
What grade is that? I think he would be fine.

I really really need to see this movie.

And I'm with Andy - if they come close to remaking Khan they better be really really careful. Star Trek II was one of the best movies ever made and the final scene sequence of Spock dying was the most powerful moment in Trek history. It's one of those almost impossible to top things. Now, if they go for a remake of the episodic Khan and the initial meeting and attempted takeover of the Enterprise, that could work. If they do that I have one request - at the end of the movie when they leave him and his people on Seti Alpha V, they need to flash forward a few months to show Seti Alpha VI exploding. Just a little :goodposting: request.

Some have mentioned going with their kids. Question: What do you think about bringing my 8 1/2 year old? I know the movie is PG-13, but there are various levels of PG-13 (and each kid has his own tolerance). My measuring stick: My son has seen all Star Wars flicks except for Revenge of the Sith (and loved them). He recently watched Men in Black, and liked it, but spend 20% of the movie with his head hidden under a pillow because it spooked him. Thoughts?
What grade is that? I think he would be fine.
Finishing second grade.[aside: when I first started posting here, my kid was a newborn. Yikes]

The only thing that really bothered me a bit in the movie was Nimoy sounding like Ralph Kiner. What happened to the poor guys voice and delivery? I understand he is old, but jeez...

Users who are viewing this thread