What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Starting QB's 2013 (1 Viewer)

Danish Bengal

Footballguy
IMO, the following teams are set at the position: ATL, BAL, CAR, CHI, CIN, DAL, DEN, DET, GB, HOU, IND, MIA, NE, NO, NYG, PIT, SD, SEA, SF, STL, TB and WAS. That doesn't mean that they all have elite QB's or even franchise ones, but I don't see them trying something different this year (feel free to speak if you have a different opinion!)

That leaves the following ten teams with murky QB situations:

ARI

This is maybe the hardest case to figure out. In the last three seasons they have tried 7 different guys behind center, none of which have had a completion percent above 60. The problem is that the rest of their offense isn't that good either. Their O-line is a joke and the running game isn't that impressive either. I think they have to fix the line before there's any reason to invest heavily in the QB position. My guess is they'll keep Kolb (they have big bucks invested in him) and Lindley. Kolb is gonna start and Lindley and a late round rookie pick will battle it out for the back-up spot. If/when they feel the winner of that battle is ready during the 2013 season, he'll replace Kolb unless Kolb miraculously have improved a lot (yeah, fat chance). If nothing works, they'll be in a good position to draft a QB i the 2st round of 2014 at which time an improved O-line will be in place

BUF

The Bills are a bit thin at WR but otherwise have a pretty good offense. RB, TE and OL are good to great. My view is that they've lost patience with Fitzpatrick and that they'll get a known name in FA. Alex Smith has shown that he's a good game manager and with a great running game and an pretty good O-line, isn't that exactly what the Bills need?

CLE

There's rumours around that the Browns is interested in Alex Smith. Hmmm OK, so there's a new couaching staf, but do you really abandon a 1st round rookie pick after just one year? I think they'll give Weeden one more year. If he doesn't pan out, they'll try their luck in the 2014 draft

JAC

Apparently Bradley is quoted for talking in positive terms about Gabbert. Gabbert did improve at the end of last season, but most analysts doesn't think he has what it takes. I think they'll do as the Browns and stick with him for another year while they prepare for the 2014 draft

KC

Contrary to the smaller HC names in Cleveland and Jacksonville, Andy Reid is a big name and he'll probably want (and be demanded) a quick turn-around. The Chiefs have a lot of pieces in place (if Bowe walks, they'll obviously need something at WR). Cassel is definately out IMO, but will Reid go after a FA or draft Geno at 1.1? I think Reid wants his own guy and therefore go QB at his first pick

MIN

Did Ponder do enough late last season to get another shot? If they trade Harvin there could be money and/or picks to do something big with. Or do they take a prospect in round 2/3 to have a head start if Ponder fails again? I think the latter

NYJ

Sanchez has to leave. I do not have enough imagination to see him getting yet another chance. The fans will demand big things and since there's no big gun FA, they'll go QB in round 1

OAK

Cutting Palmer (or trading him for a 6th round pick) will only make the trade with Bengals look even more ridicolous. They'll stick with him another year, cap problems or not, to save Al's face

PHI

I guess they signed with Vick because Kelly wants him. I see no changes in Philly. Foles will get his chance to shine at moments during the season because Vick never plays 16 games in a season

TEN

The new OC have said that he want's to try the read option with Locker. So I don't see any changes in Tennessee unless Locker fails miserably at that. They'll certainly not draft a QB early.

What do you guys think?

IMO, the following teams are set at the position: ATL, BAL, CAR, CHI, CIN, DAL, DEN, DET, GB, HOU, IND, MIA, NE, NO, NYG, PIT, SD, SEA, SF, STL, TB and WAS. That doesn't mean that they all have elite QB's or even franchise ones, but I don't see them trying something different this year (feel free to speak if you have a different opinion!)

That leaves the following ten teams with murky QB situations:

ARI

This is maybe the hardest case to figure out. In the last three seasons they have tried 7 different guys behind center, none of which have had a completion percent above 60. The problem is that the rest of their offense isn't that good either. Their O-line is a joke and the running game isn't that impressive either. I think they have to fix the line before there's any reason to invest heavily in the QB position. My guess is they'll keep Kolb (they have big bucks invested in him) and Lindley. Kolb is gonna start and Lindley and a late round rookie pick will battle it out for the back-up spot. If/when they feel the winner of that battle is ready during the 2013 season, he'll replace Kolb unless Kolb miraculously have improved a lot (yeah, fat chance). If nothing works, they'll be in a good position to draft a QB i the 2st round of 2014 at which time an improved O-line will be in place

BUF

The Bills are a bit thin at WR but otherwise have a pretty good offense. RB, TE and OL are good to great. My view is that they've lost patience with Fitzpatrick and that they'll get a known name in FA. Alex Smith has shown that he's a good game manager and with a great running game and an pretty good O-line, isn't that exactly what the Bills need?

CLE

There's rumours around that the Browns is interested in Alex Smith. Hmmm OK, so there's a new couaching staf, but do you really abandon a 1st round rookie pick after just one year? I think they'll give Weeden one more year. If he doesn't pan out, they'll try their luck in the 2014 draft

JAC

Apparently Bradley is quoted for talking in positive terms about Gabbert. Gabbert did improve at the end of last season, but most analysts doesn't think he has what it takes. I think they'll do as the Browns and stick with him for another year while they prepare for the 2014 draft

KC

Contrary to the smaller HC names in Cleveland and Jacksonville, Andy Reid is a big name and he'll probably want (and be demanded) a quick turn-around. The Chiefs have a lot of pieces in place (if Bowe walks, they'll obviously need something at WR). Cassel is definately out IMO, but will Reid go after a FA or draft Geno at 1.1? I think Reid wants his own guy and therefore go QB at his first pick

MIN

Did Ponder do enough late last season to get another shot? If they trade Harvin there could be money and/or picks to do something big with. Or do they take a prospect in round 2/3 to have a head start if Ponder fails again? I think the latter

NYJ

Sanchez has to leave. I do not have enough imagination to see him getting yet another chance. The fans will demand big things and since there's no big gun FA, they'll go QB in round 1

OAK

Cutting Palmer (or trading him for a 6th round pick) will only make the trade with Bengals look even more ridicolous. They'll stick with him another year, cap problems or not, to save Al's face

PHI

I guess they signed with Vick because Kelly wants him. I see no changes in Philly. Foles will get his chance to shine at moments during the season because Vick never plays 16 games in a season

TEN

The new OC have said that he want's to try the read option with Locker. So I don't see any changes in Tennessee unless Locker fails miserably at that. They'll certainly not draft a QB early.

What do you guys think?
I'm thinking Reid would like to be in play for Alex Smith, or perhaps pull off a small trade with the eagles for Nick Foles. He clearly likes Foles, and the kid knows Reids system. Reid could Hand out a 3rd round pick, have a Qb that is signed for 4 more years fairly cheaply, and go get that OL that he needs instead witht he first pick. The fit for Foles is in Kansas with Reid, Kelly is saying Foles will be in a competition, but it's clear he doesn't fir their scheme, probably trying to find a way to get something for him and Reid is the guy they are probably talking to. Just speculation, but makes sense.J'ville is committed to Gabbert again this year.

Cleveland should be in play for one of the rookie RB's or Alex Smith as well.

Oakland has got to see what Terrell Pryor can do

Buffalo and the Jets are in a world of trouble. Barkley, Geno, Nassib? Matt Flynn via trade?

Ariz - no idea, disaster, I heard the name Drew Stanton mentioned? WTF, Draft Barkley Buff - drafting the kid from Syracuse Nassib, Fitz is backup after about 4 games Clev - stuck with Weeden, maybe trade for A.Smith Jax - rolling with Gabbert to start Henne if he struggles/injury KC - Draft Geno Smith or trade for Foles Minny - Rolling Ponder NYJ - Stuck with Sanchez Oak - Redo Palmers deal or Cut Palmer roll with Pryor/Rookie Philly - Vick to start, trade Foles, signing Dixon for depth tenn - Rocking with Locker

Ari - I think you are right and Kolb gets another chance while they draft someone else. Or maybe Jason Campbell gets another shotBuf - They gotta draft someone. Fitzpatrick will either have to restructure or be cut although I do not know the cap implications of that.Cle - McCoy? If Banner and Lombardi hate Weeden, you gotta figure they will have to at least open the competitionJax - Gabbert gets another shot which he blows. But Jax drafts another body, or might sign a vet, like Matt MooreKC - Maybe they trade for Kolb? The cupboard is bare. Another possible landing spot for one of the uninspiring UFA QBs, Gotta wonder if Reid likes TebowMIN - Ponder all the way. May draft a back upNYJ - No change, except maybe their young guy takes over from SanchezOAK - They could trade Palmer if they find another game manager, but likely they won'tPhi - competition in name at least. Vick on a leash to start the seasonTen - They draft a back up and go with Locker

Cle - McCoy? If Banner and Lombardi hate Weeden, you gotta figure they will have to at least open the competition
not a chance. Weeden at least fits the vertical passing attack they want to employ. McCoy does not. i'm honestly not sure if he's even an NFL QB at this point or what system he might fit with, but it's not this one. if they don't cut/trade McCoy i will be absolutely shocked.

Frazier has reiterated that Ponder is their guy and there wont be a competition, so that question is answered.

JAC, MIN, NJY and TEN are sticking with the guy they've got for one reason or another.OAK might give Pryor a shot before drafting an early QB. And IMO Philly is going to go with Vick for 2013. And Chip Kelly sure sounds like a man protesting too much when he waxes poetic about Foles. I think they trade him.That leaves: ARI, BUF, CLE, KCWith Alex Smith, Geno Smith, Matt Barkley and possibly Nick Foles heading up the available QBs. EJ Manuel could be in the mix too, but he doesn't look like a good fit for any of those teams at first glance. Pure guesswork:Chiefs - FolesBrowns - Geno SmithArizona - BarkleyBuffalo - Alex SmithEagles (2nd round) - ManuelI think the other rookie QBs are either downright terrible (Wilson, Nassib, Glennon) or projects (Bray) and aren't a threat to anyone in 2013, except maybe a team desperate enough to start one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an observation on Philly:Vick is stopgap due to age/durability, but certainly mobile enough to run Chip's offenseFoles doesn't have the footspeed to succeed in a "Quack Attack" - I suspect they'll try to get value for him and KC for a 2nd might make sense to bothDixon just signed, has a history with Kelly as his OC at Oregon, and has the skill set to at the very least be productive insurance and perhaps more . . .

JAC, MIN, NJY and TEN are sticking with the guy they've got for one reason or another.OAK might give Pryor a shot before drafting an early QB. And IMO Philly is going to go with Vick for 2013. And Chip Kelly sure sounds like a man protesting too much when he waxes poetic about Foles. I think they trade him.That leaves: ARI, BUF, CLE, KCWith Alex Smith, Geno Smith, Matt Barkley and possibly Nick Foles heading up the available QBs. EJ Manuel could be in the mix too, but he doesn't look like a good fit for any of those teams at first glance. Pure guesswork:Chiefs - FolesBrowns - Geno SmithArizona - BarkleyBuffalo - Alex SmithEagles (2nd round) - ManuelI think the other rookie QBs are either downright terrible (Wilson, Nassib, Glennon) or projects (Bray) and aren't a threat to anyone in 2013, except maybe a team desperate enough to start one of them.
I'm think Nassib is the eagles second round target.

'QuizGuy66 said:
I think Sanchez stays on the roster but Rex has indicated there will be a competition for the job this year.LinkyWhether that's just smoke or not is another matter.-QG
IIRC Sanchez's cap number is larger if the Jets cut him than if they keep him on the roster. No real incentive for the Jets to cut him, other than the whole not being an embarrassment thing, which last year showed they don't care about.

FLynn have a chance at a job?
I would think he's got a chance for any team (needing a QB) that runs a WCO or some variation...he's been through GB's "QB school" for a few years.IIRC KC's new OC is Doug Pedersen who's well-versed with the WCO.I don't think anyone expected RWilson to come out and play like he did as soon as he did. That shouldn't be a major knock on Flynn. :shrug:

FLynn have a chance at a job?
Depends what Seattle wants for him.He has more talent and has played well in his limited chances than many of the guys out there on these lists.But with a decently high contract that Seattle paid (not huge)...they will likely want a decent amount of compensation.

Tennessee doesn't really need to be on the list. They weren't very good last year but quarterback play in itself was pretty far down the list of reasons why.

Ariz - Kevin Kolb get one more chance but if they don't improve the line it doesn't matter who the Qb is Buff - Don't think its the right answer but I think they go with Fitz and draft a Qb in 2 or 3rd round to groom Clev - Trading up in round one and them taking Geno Smith Jax - One more year of Gabbert before they finally realize he was a flop I think they do get a Qb in this draft though KC - Can't see Reid using pick one on Smith so they trade a 4th to get Foles Minny - I actually like Ponder and if he wasn't thrown in his rookie year he would have looked better this year IMO NYJ - One more of Sanchez and Ryan and then they move to another rookie project in 2014 Oak - Even though it was a horrible trade Palmer is still the Qb this year but after falling to 3-8 expect to see some Pryor Philly - As an Eagles fan it's Vick this year but I expect a rookie Qb in round 2 to groom tenn - Locker is the surest of the Qb's on my list to start I would think

Tennessee doesn't really need to be on the list. They weren't very good last year but quarterback play in itself was pretty far down the list of reasons why.
I think some of these are on there it seems as a going forward thing.As in...could this be the last year with this person.I don't see some of them giving up as quickly as people think.But this year is the obvious make or break year for some of them.I could see TN using a later round pick on a QB hoping to find gold like Flynn.

Users who are viewing this thread