What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steeler fans - what's your take on Chris Hope? (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
Just read this today and it didn't make a lot of sense after how good I've heard Hope is. Maybe the homers can give a little insight.

LITTLE HOPE FOR CHRIS

Although ESPN's Len Pasquarelli has ranked Steelers safety Chris Hope as the No. 19 free agent available this offseason, Hope has yet to line up a single visit, even as other guys are criss-crossing the country in search of the big money that flows in the early days of the signing period.

So what's the problem? As one league source explained, "Hope has no one interested in him because all the teams get the films of all the games. He is slow, can't tackle, and he is dumb, all of the qualities that go into a big contract."

Ouch.

The fact that Hope has yet to even schedule a visit is significant in light of the fact that virtually every team was talking prior to Saturday at 12:01 a.m. to the guys in whom they had heavy interest. So the reality is that the 31 teams other than the Steelers haven't seen fit to include him in the game of musical chairs that, in early March, typically pays out more money than at any other time of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had said all along, I'd welcome him back, but only at a reasonable price. He's looking for a multi-year deal for over $2 million per season, which would make him one of the highest paid safeties in the league. No way. They're still going to need to lock Polamalu up, who will likely become the highest paid safety in football - I can't see the Steelers locking up $6 million+ per year on the two starting safeties. Either Hope signs a reasonable deal (more like 4 years, $5-6 million) or let him walk.

He's getting better but he's definitely not worth what he thinks he is.... he really needs to learn how to tackle better to be regarded as one of the better safeties in the league.

He probably priced himself out of a decent contract. I think that there are quite a few guys that aren't getting any interest because they set their value too high. Guys like Arrington, Runyan, and Ty Law aren't getting much interest yet either because they have priced themselves too high.

They'll probably all end up with smaller contracts than what they could have had if they had priced themselves more reasonably.

Personally, I think that Hope is a decent safety. Not great but he's an NFL starting quality safety. If his price were lower I'd love for the Bills to pick him up.

I think Hope is a good tackler/solid run defender, not a great coverage safety. He made the comment early in free agency that he'd like to be paid like a Top 5 safety. He just doesn't make enough plays to be in that league.

fwiw, local papers had Cleveland interested. Not sure why, unless they have soured on the young safeties they already have. I'm sure it's more of a passing interest at this point.

I seem to be one of the few that would really like to have him back. I think Hope played pretty well last season, certainly better than Carter or Logan could have and he is still improving.

Losing Hope and Townsend (who will probably sign elsewhere) would be quite a blow to the Steelers depth in the secondary. I don't want to see them overspend on Hope, but I think a contract that pays him around $1.5 - $1.8 million a year would be reasonable.

I seem to be one of the few that would really like to have him back. I think Hope played pretty well last season, certainly better than Carter or Logan could have and he is still improving.

Losing Hope and Townsend (who will probably sign elsewhere) would be quite a blow to the Steelers depth in the secondary. I don't want to see them overspend on Hope, but I think a contract that pays him around $1.5 - $1.8 million a year would be reasonable.
I could live with about $6 million over 4 years, but they have too many other guys to re-sign to risk more money than that on him. Particularly when a second round pick in this years draft could yield a guy like Jason Allen or Pat Watkins, either of whom could easily prove to be a better complement to Polamalu.

I was pretty high on Hope coming into FA...my opinion is starting to change for the worse. I am now hoping he does not sign with Dallas.

I think Hope is a good tackler/solid run defender, not a great coverage safety. He made the comment early in free agency that he'd like to be paid like a Top 5 safety. He just doesn't make enough plays to be in that league.
Sorry, but I couldn't read anymore after you said Hope was a good tackler/solid run defender.

Sorry, but I couldn't read anymore after you said Hope was a good tackler/solid run defender.
I tend to agree. Hope plays a decent role as a piece of the Steelers D .. he's competent enough in coverage but his tackling is VERY bad. He's goes after people too high and is always looking for the big pop instead of wrapping people up and bringing them down. He's useful but not at all unreplaceable. If he'll come back for a good price, so be it. If not, we can look at moving Deshea to FS or look for a low cost replacement in FA or in the draft.

I think Hope is a good tackler/solid run defender, not a great coverage safety.  He made the comment early in free agency that he'd like to be paid like a Top 5 safety.  He just doesn't make enough plays to be in that league.
I tend to agree. Hope plays a decent role as a piece of the Steelers D .. he's competent enough in coverage but his tackling is VERY bad. He's goes after people too high and is always looking for the big pop instead of wrapping people up and bringing them down. He's useful but not at all unreplaceable. If he'll come back for a good price, so be it. If not, we can look at moving Deshea to FS or look for a low cost replacement in FA or in the draft.
That's it right there - ACP hit the nail on the head.I never thought of moving Townsend to safety - do you think he'd be willing to do that and sign a deal for less than Hope is asking for?

That's it right there - ACP hit the nail on the head.I never thought of moving Townsend to safety - do you think he'd be willing to do that and sign a deal for less than Hope is asking for?
It's probably wishful thinking, as he could start at corner somewhere in the league and get paid accordingly -- but if he has no suitors .... maybe it would work out. :confused:

I think Hope is a good tackler/solid run defender, not a great coverage safety.  He made the comment early in free agency that he'd like to be paid like a Top 5 safety.  He just doesn't make enough plays to be in that league.
Hope was behind only Farrior and Foote for the team lead in tackles. Hope is in with some big names among all DBs:

1- Erik Coleman, NYJ 116 Tackles

2- Gibril Wilson, NYG 110 Tackles

3- Adrian Wilson, ARZ 108 Tackles

4- Lawyer Milloy, BUF 107 Tackles

5- Nate Clements, BUF 102 Tackles

6- Kerry Rhodes, NYJ 100 Tackles

7- Ronde Barber, TB 98 Tackles

7- Michael Lewis, PHI 98 Tackles

9- Chris Hope, PIT 97 Tackles

10-Charles Tillman, CHI 96 Tackles

I think all of this Chris Hope is too slow/can't tackle/too dumb stuff is BS. I think he is a solid safety that is only going to get better. By signing Hope they will have one less hole to fill, which would allow them to concentrate on WR and depth at RB, LB, CB, OL and DL in the draft.

Hope was behind only Farror and Foote for the team lead in tackles. Hope is in with some big names among all DBs:

1- Erik Coleman, NYJ 116 Tackles

2- Gibril Wilson, NYG 110 Tackles

3- Adrian Wilson, ARZ 108 Tackles

4- Lawyer Milloy, BUF 107 Tackles

5- Nate Clements, BUF 102 Tackles

6- Kerry Rhodes, NYJ 100 Tackles

7- Ronde Barber, TB 98 Tackles

7- Michael Lewis, PHI 98 Tackles

9- Chris Hope, PIT 97 Tackles

10-Charles Tillman, CHI 96 Tackles
Interesting, but the numbers dont tell the true story. He doesn't hit low and he doens't wrap up. /Rudi Johnson

Im kind of afraid that the archuleta signing will make it harder for us to acquire hope at a reasonable price due to the inflation of value thats going into players thanks to the redskins' dan snyder.this aside, i see the steelers making a honest effort to retain him, but if he asks for too much money the steelers will have no problem doing this ----> :bye:

This is the first time I've ever seen Hope called "dumb". The kid graduated with a 3.8 GPA at FSU.

I always thought Hope was an extremely solid safety for the Steelers. I, for one, hope he doesn't get any offers and is back with Pittsburgh.

I think all of this Chris Hope is too slow/can't tackle/too dumb stuff is BS. I think he is a solid safety that is only going to get better. By signing Hope they will have one less hole to fill, which would allow them to concentrate on WR and depth at RB, LB, CB, OL and DL in the draft.
I agree with this. I like that the market has been shady to him, he should come crawling back with some humble pie in his mouth. 4 years/8-10M sounds right?

I agree with this. I like that the market has been shady to him, he should come crawling back with some humble pie in his mouth. 4 years/8-10M sounds right?
4 years, $7-8M.

I think all of this Chris Hope is too slow/can't tackle/too dumb stuff is BS.  I think he is a solid safety that is only going to get better.  By signing Hope they will have one less hole to fill, which would allow them to concentrate on WR and depth at RB, LB, CB, OL and DL in the draft.
$8-10 million over 4 years is what he's looking for - I don't think he gets that from Pittsburgh. More like $6 million over 4 years.

I think all of this Chris Hope is too slow/can't tackle/too dumb stuff is BS.  I think he is a solid safety that is only going to get better.  By signing Hope they will have one less hole to fill, which would allow them to concentrate on WR and depth at RB, LB, CB, OL and DL in the draft.
$8-10 million over 4 years is what he's looking for - I don't think he gets that from Pittsburgh. More like $6 million over 4 years.
I thought he was looking for that much guaranteed.

I'd like him to return 'cause it means someone else won't have to spend the time learning the D. Guys don't usually start in their 1st year in this system, 1st round rookie or O.K. FA. I think Hope is very replaceable (especially in the draft), but it will take some adjustment time. For that reason alone, I'd like him back. I doubt Pitt pays him any more than $1.5/yr ave. for the life of the contract and for no more than 3-4 years.

One more thought. The Steelers don't put a lot of emphasis on the safety position. Look no further than B.Alexander and L.Flowers. They got a stud that they believed was too good to pass up in Polomalu, but they have continued to field strong defenses w/o 'good' safeties. The system makes them look good, not the other way around.

Dexter Jackson got 4 years for about $8M. Is Hope worth more, less, or the same as Dexter?
Jackson is already on the downside of his career (actually has been for a couple years) while Hope is still improving. I would take Hope over Jackson in a heartbeat.

Dexter Jackson got 4 years for about $8M.  Is Hope worth more, less, or the same as Dexter?
Jackson is already on the downside of his career (actually has been for a couple years) while Hope is still improving. I would take Hope over Jackson in a heartbeat.
I agree. So what is his price tag now? 4yr/9M?

Even with the questions about him, he'd be a huge upgrade over Jue for the Chargers and well worth the price.McCree was signed for 5 years, $16M with $6M guaranteed the first two years. I'd find it strange if Hope didn't get that much, especially the guaranteed money.

I never suggested he wasn't a decent safety, just pointing out his weakness. I think that this is great news for Pitt if no teams make a serious bid for him. I agree that he will only get better in the defense especially when he learns to tackle better.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/titans_ne....php?PRKey=3670

(on if Steelers safety Chris Hope is still a possibility)

We’re going to be in a position where we can continue to work it. We’re kind of stretching ourselves compared to where we have been in the past anyway. But, the situation here has been so unique, I think first of all the influx of all the money, and the second thing is when you put together your wish list early, there are five or six guys that really catch your eye and you say, ‘Now I know he would really improve us.’ I think if we can continue to sign those kinds of guys, then we would probably continue. I’m not sure how long we can go, but Hope is in Miami today and then he’s going to San Francisco tomorrow and then he’s coming back home and is probably going to make a decision the latter part of the week.

We’re going to be in a position where we can continue to work it. We’re kind of stretching ourselves compared to where we have been in the past anyway. But, the situation here has been so unique, I think first of all the influx of all the money, and the second thing is when you put together your wish list early, there are five or six guys that really catch your eye and you say, ‘Now I know he would really improve us.’ I think if we can continue to sign those kinds of guys, then we would probably continue. I’m not sure how long we can go, but Hope is in Miami today and then he’s going to San Francisco tomorrow and then he’s coming back home and is probably going to make a decision the latter part of the week.
So much for no one showing interest in Hope.

So much for no one showing interest in Hope.
Someone is going to float him a 4 year $8-9 million deal at least. I have long since been resigned to the fact that he has played his last game as a Steeler.

How do you take a guy who made 185 tackles (127 solo) the last 2 years (89/96 respectively) and say he is not a good tackler.

3rd in tackles for the Steelers in 2005 and 2004

Not enough big plays, turnovers or poor coverage skills would be more valid arguments. Hope has 0 sacks, and only 4 picks and 5 PDs in his career (0/3/0 in 2005). Even though his 3 INTs led the team, I still don't see that as a good number.

I'm surprised he has no interest, but I'll be glad to have him back in the Black and Gold for the Title D run.

How do you take a guy who made 185 tackles (127 solo) the last 2 years (89/96 respectively) and say he is not a good tackler.

Not enough big plays, turnovers or poor coverage skills would be more valid arguments. Hope has 0 sacks, and only 4 picks and 5 PDs in his career (0/3/0 in 2005). Even though his 3 INTs led the team, I still don't see that as a good number.

I'm surprised he has no interest, but I'll be glad to have him back in the Black and Gold for the Title D run.
You've obviously either not seen or ignored the myriad plays where he goes up high and fails to wrap up, instead trying to deliver the "K.O." hit, and gets run over.Not saying he's awful, but don't let the amount of tackles fool you.

Not enough big plays, turnovers or poor coverage skills would be more valid arguments.  Hope has 0 sacks, and only 4 picks and 5 PDs in his career (0/3/0 in 2005).  Even though his 3 INTs led the team, I still don't see that as a good number.

You've obviously either not seen or ignored the myriad plays where he goes up high and fails to wrap up, instead trying to deliver the "K.O." hit, and gets run over.Not saying he's awful, but don't let the amount of tackles fool you.
I did drop my NFL package in 2005 and I did not watch the Steelers every week like I used to...... I've no choice but to give weight to my fellow steeler fans on this one.With all the KO hit attempts reported, it's odd he does not have more PDs or FFs.

Maybe he is average at best - we will have to see how this all plays out.

I have little doubt that LeBeau has gotten the most out of Hope and that he won't be as good somewhere else. But considering that last year was only his second season as a starter I think he played pretty well and he is only going to continue to improve if he stays with the Steelers.

That said I agree that I don't want to overpay him. If someone else wants to pay him $2 million a season let him go.

I'll be very interested to see the $$$ associated with this 4-year deal. Hopefully it will be right in line with the 4yr - $6 mil scenario mentioned in another thread.
$1.5 Mil seems to be the cap Rooney/Colbert have on non-stud DBs. When they cross that barrier, they're gone. Troy will exceed that next contract. He's the exception, not the rule.

Tackles is the most worthless stat in football for determining the quality of a player.Guys rack up huge numbers of tackles for a bunch of reasons.

Sometimes, it's because they are legit sideline-to-sideline players with a good nose for the ball and an unstoppable will to make plays. Young Ray Lewis was like this.

Sometimes, it's because they are darlings of the official scorers, and are given phantom tackles and assists to boost their stats when they are anywhere within the same zip code as the play. Ray Lewis has been like this the last few years. Buffalo and Redskin LB's were like this for years.

And sometimes, it's because the player is a target of the other team's gameplan, because they know that he is a weakness on the team's defense. He gets targeted all game long, and the other team knows that they're getting yards after contact virtually every time, and occasional blown tackles altogether. Pat Tillman was like this. Jason Sehorn. Walt Harris. These guys were among the leaders at their position in tackles every year. It's not that these guys suck...it's that they're expoitable.

Hope certainly isn't in the first category, and he's by no means a scoresheet darling. He is, alas, exploitable.

I just saw the a little bit of the Superbowl last night on the NFL network and on the last drive, Joe Jurevicius catches the ball in the middle of the field and Hope goes to make the tackle with his shoulder. Joe bounces off him and gains another 5 yards. Good luck Chris!

BTW, Wherever he lands, He now wants to be called Chris "The Hammer" Hope. He tried getting that nickname started last year. Didn't really catch on for some reason.

Hope is visiting Miami today. Will Demps is also scheduled to visit. They desperately need safety help, so its a good possibility that one of them signs....

BTW, Wherever he lands, He now wants to be called Chris "The Hammer" Hope. He tried getting that nickname started last year. Didn't really catch on for some reason.
Personally, I think a 'Tank' is more destructive than a 'Hammer.'

Maybe he should check to see if Greg Valentine is done using the nickname "The Hammer". :rolleyes:

Chris Hope is a good safety. The Titans are lucky to get him.

I wish him all the luck in the world.
I always thought Hope was a solid safety, but nothing spectacular. His lack of tackling ability was always a problem. So what does that get him in free agency?$5 million per year and $10 million guaranteed, per rotoworld. Well beyond ridiculous.

Chris Hope's contract with the Titans averages $5 million a season and includes $10 million in guarantees.

Yikes. We thought Adam Archuleta's contract was bad, but this one may be worse. Free safety just isn't a position where a lot of money needs to be invested unless you have Sean Taylor. Mar. 16 - 8:10 am et

Users who are viewing this thread