What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steelers Browns Week 1 Weather Thread (1 Viewer)

With such severe weather, I assume the deep route WR's, QB's, and kickers are players to avoid.  What about RB's, possession WR's, TE's, and defenses?  Seems that RB may be the only position to thrive in a game like this.

I'm probably benching Landry and the Browns TE.   It really depends on how heavy it is raining and the wind.  Normal rain would not be a problem but this may be rather extreme weather.  

Benched Ben for Dalton, Gordon for Sanders, but I'm stuck with Boswell so I expect to lose pts. when his kicks go through the wrong goalposts.

I'm probably benching Landry and the Browns TE.   It really depends on how heavy it is raining and the wind. Normal rain would not be a problem but this may be rather extreme weather. 
Yeah, people really shouldn't underestimate this. They're calling for up to 7 inches of rain and 40+ MPH wins. That's insane. 7 inches of rain is a LOT of rain.

New models indicate the worst may miss south. Still wind and rain, but not of the 5-7" variety that was in play yesterday. 

I remember two years ago benching Cousins because of a report that a storm was gonna hit Green Bay with 40 mile an hour winds. He ended up scoring 40 points and my backup (Stafford) scored 12. It cost me a division title. 

I suppose you still have to make the best decision based on the the information given. I'm still scarred though.

kyoun1e said:
Any chance the game time is moved?
To later in the day? It'd be silly. Weather is expected to be the same from about 9 am Sunday until 9 am Monday. If it changes direction and hits downtown then it'll dump buckets all day and night. 

I've looked at several ranking for this week and no sight has made any adjustments so far. You would think somebody would be on top of this.

I probably have no other choice but to play Landry and Duke J.  With Short benches, my only other choices is Fuller if he plays, a suspended Ingram, K. Johnson, M. Williams, and Sutton.  My opponent has JuJu, so that helps cancel one maybe.

MAC_32 said:
New models indicate the worst may miss south. Still wind and rain, but not of the 5-7" variety that was in play yesterday. 
Link?  Or specific predictions/times of rain/wind?

Tried streaming QB this year & Taylor is supposed to be my week 1 QB.  Need to know if I should look elsewhere.

I've looked at several ranking for this week and no sight has made any adjustments so far. You would think somebody would be on top of this.
which is just terrible

the better sites will adjust first, but they are a day late and a dollar short in most instances

Take advantage of it in DFS

What do we think about Hyde and Conner?
As long as it is not a total washout this should help both of them...if the wind is a legit issue that means you're gonna run more...pretty simple formula...with Bell out Connor should be getting almost all of those carries and if that happens you gotta believe he'll have at least a decent day...for Hyde the only issue is if gets off to a slow start this could open the door for Chubb as well because this style of type game (if in-fact you really can't throw too well) could be a real nice fit for what he brings to the table...Hyde will definitely get his opportunities though...

As long as it is not a total washout this should help both of them...if the wind is a legit issue that means you're gonna run more...pretty simple formula...with Bell out Connor should be getting almost all of those carries and if that happens you gotta believe he'll have at least a decent day...for Hyde the only issue is if gets off to a slow start this could open the door for Chubb as well because this style of type game (if in-fact you really can't throw too well) could be a real nice fit for what he brings to the table...Hyde will definitely get his opportunities though...
Except if it's really that bad there won't be a lot of 3rd down conversions or points scored, theoretically. Yes they will run more, but will that translate to TD opportunities? I could see a RB breaking a long one because nobody could catch them. Or if one team just dominates the trenches, but I'm probably staying away alltogether if the weather is really that bad. 

I hate these spots more than anything else in FF. Almost always ends up being not as bad as predicted.

Except if it's really that bad there won't be a lot of 3rd down conversions or points scored, theoretically. Yes they will run more, but will that translate to TD opportunities? I could see a RB breaking a long one because nobody could catch them. Or if one team just dominates the trenches, but I'm probably staying away alltogether if the weather is really that bad. 

I hate these spots more than anything else in FF. Almost always ends up being not as bad as predicted.
Agreed...that's what I meant by a washout...it is not a bad game to stay away from, especially if you have other legit options...that being said it really is all about monitoring the weather...see what it actually is right before game-time than pull the trigger about what to do based on that...let the weather make the decision for you...I can always live with results (good or bad) if the decision has been made as logically as possible...

C-Bound said:
Benched Ben for Dalton, Gordon for Sanders, but I'm stuck with Boswell so I expect to lose pts. when his kicks go through the wrong goalposts.
Same.  Leaving AB in though. 

I'd really like to bench Duke in a ppr. I'm concerned about the qb dumping off passes instead of scrambling, and now with this weather I think all players are bench candidates if you have any decent alternatives.

In the same boat. Will check reports in AM, but will sit Ben for Alex Smith and will likely have to sit Juju too. Another week 1 screwing. Last year in week 1 I lost Evans and Ajayi due to cancelled Bucs/Dolphins game and it set the tone for my entire season (ending with Crabtree getting tossed for fighting with Talib 5 minutes into game, and likely costing me a playoff spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
40 mph wind isnt though.
Yeah that's bad for everyone. And *if* the defenses key on the run, can Hyde/Conner really get it going? Volume will be great, but IDK. 

I've removed Gordon, Juju, Njoku, Taylor, from lineups and Hyde is on my fence. But Antonio Brown? If I'm benching these other guys because the weather is that bad (if it really is), then why would I leave Brown in?

#### this. Argggggh.

***CBS Cleveland's Jeff Tanchak expects wind gusts up to 40 MPH for the Browns' Week 1 game against the Steelers.

This is more aggressive than the forecasts we've seen. Sunday's game total has dropped five points due to the conditions in Cleveland. The Browns/Steelers passing attacks need to be downgraded in what projects as a run-heavy gamescript. It's a Week 1 situation to avoid.***

NWS Cleveland:

**Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 67. East wind 14 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.**

This was from an hour ago. I imagine the entire football media world will be covering this tomorrow morning. 

Rain likely. Becoming windy in the afternoon. High 64F. Winds E at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall near an inch. Localized flooding is possible.

7" and 40 mph no.  Methinks this was from someone playing vs. AB. The hourly is less bad around 1pm till 3ish.

Tho 20 - 30 mph isnt good. 

OK; thanks anyway.  Just trying to find a reliable place to look tomorrow am.
I may be busy but I'll post if I can report what they're saying. We have some good weather people locally. At least as far as weather people go.

Rain likely. Becoming windy in the afternoon. High 64F. Winds E at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall near an inch. Localized flooding is possible.

7" and 40 mph no.  Methinks this was from someone playing vs. AB. The hourly is less bad around 1pm till 3ish.

The models aren't in agreement. South of town will get hit bad, but the city isn't out of the woods yet. 

The 20 to 30 is an estimate of sustained winds, making 40 mph gusts totally plausible. I'm not saying it is an accurate prediction or not, who knows, but those predictions are not necessarily contradictory. I had the same reaction, though, wondering if it came from a Brown opponent. 

Everyone is on Conner but this weather gives 2 points of view for the run game.

No passing = play the RB’s because there will be huge volume in the run game
There will be no offense, run game will also be 1 yard and a cloud of mud

Which side are you on?

Everyone is on Conner but this weather gives 2 points of view for the run game.

No passing = play the RB’s because there will be huge volume in the run game
There will be no offense, run game will also be 1 yard and a cloud of mud

Which side are you on?
Steelers played Miami in 2007 (I think) in similar conditions.  Ended up 3-0 Pitt.  I think Willie Parker has 100 yards.  This weather might help Conner; he’s more of a straight line power-type runner.  He doesn’t have a bunch of wiggle or elusiveness.

I am guessing doubful as the truly bad weather is looking like it will stay south and a little west of downtown cleveland. The stadium is right on the lake so you cant get any farther north. 

I dont care how nasty this weather is, I havent waited this long, and braved this much crap to bench Gordon.

Ill gladly take the 0 and not a single pass thrown just to have him in there.
The rain might put out his spliff..

Users who are viewing this thread