What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steelers Extend Antonio Brown (1 Viewer)

Terpman22

Footballguy
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

Steelers sign WR Antonio Brown to five-year, $42.5 million extension, per league source.

EXCELLENT MOVE.
Enjoy the bracket coverage, Antonio. This is what it's like to see the opposing teams no.1 corner and a safety over the top.Great cap management. Now you've pissed off the best weapon for Roethlisberger. If I'm Wallace I don't show up until week 10. No point in showing up now.

EXCELLENT MOVE.
Enjoy the bracket coverage, Antonio. This is what it's like to see the opposing teams no.1 corner and a safety over the top.Great cap management. Now you've pissed off the best weapon for Roethlisberger. If I'm Wallace I don't show up until week 10. No point in showing up now.
In my opinion he's a better all-around WR than Wallace. If Wallace wants to try to break the bank, lock up Brown long term and trade Wallace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent move after Wallace tries to rub it in to the Steelers by holding out before signing his tender. Give the money to a star who wants to be there. Congrats to AB!!! Well deserved.

EXCELLENT MOVE.
In my opinion he's a better all-around WR than Wallace. If Wallace wants to try to break the bank, lock up Brown long term and trade Wallace.
He runs better routes, but he's not on the same level talent wise. It's not close. Wallace isn't trying to break the bank, the Steelers want to lowball him and pay him WAY under what players of his caliber are getting paid.And Brown won't put up 1200-8 with the bracket coverage. You're all going to be disappointed.

i love mike wallace but he's delusional if he thinks he's gonna get fitzgerald money. if he doesnt report, then sanders gets to show what he can do. either way, brown seems like a really nice kid and i'm happy for him.

Or get Wallace for $2.7 million this year, then franchise tag him in 2013-2014.

And Brown @ $8 million >>>> Wallace @ $12 million, IMO.

EXCELLENT MOVE.
He runs better routes, but he's not on the same level talent wise. It's not close. Wallace isn't trying to break the bank, the Steelers want to lowball him and pay him WAY under what players of his caliber are getting paid.And Brown won't put up 1200-8 with the bracket coverage. You're all going to be disappointed.
exactly how many games have you watched brown play? what does talent mean to you? just speed?

EXCELLENT MOVE.
Jumping the gun by saying trade wallace. The steelers do want MW to stay with the team, but at a reasonable salary. The signing was a statement that if MW wants to play hardball, there are other deserving players on the roster who can be paid. If wallace wants to be a part of Pgh in the future, he can play for the tender this season then see what happens next. Options to sign & negotiate are over. Who knows? There could be a team out there who wants to over pay for his services ALA Randel El going to Washington years ago.

EXCELLENT MOVE.
Jumping the gun by saying trade wallace. The steelers do want MW to stay with the team, but at a reasonable salary. The signing was a statement that if MW wants to play hardball, there are other deserving players on the roster who can be paid. If wallace wants to be a part of Pgh in the future, he can play for the tender this season then see what happens next. Options to sign & negotiate are over. Who knows? There could be a team out there who wants to over pay for his services ALA Randel El going to Washington years ago.
Agreed. It may be jumping the gun but if he's not gonna report then they can at least field offers and see what they can get.

EXCELLENT MOVE.
not really. the Steelers are quite aware what E. Sanders can do in place of Wallace being out.

Jumping the gun by saying trade wallace. The steelers do want MW to stay with the team, but at a reasonable salary. The signing was a statement that if MW wants to play hardball, there are other deserving players on the roster who can be paid. If wallace wants to be a part of Pgh in the future, he can play for the tender this season then see what happens next. Options to sign & negotiate are over.

Who knows? There could be a team out there who wants to over pay for his services ALA Randel El going to Washington years ago.
Agreed. It may be jumping the gun but if he's not gonna report then they can at least field offers and see what they can get.
I also "jumped the gun" by saying the same thing here. The only logical move is to trade Wallace.

i love mike wallace but he's delusional if he thinks he's gonna get fitzgerald money. if he doesnt report, then sanders gets to show what he can do. either way, brown seems like a really nice kid and i'm happy for him.
He would have accepted a VJax deal. Now the steelers overpaid for a #2 wr

I think the steelers made a mistake here just to prove a point to wallace. They could have had brown for 2 more years at a discount and let him play hard for that new contract while keeping wallace around for at least 1 more year. Now, they may have overpaid early for brown and lost their #1 deep threat. hmmmm

He would have accepted a VJax deal. Now the steelers overpaid for a #2 wr
I dunno, this is a much more cap efficient deal when you see how its broken down by year. Were in great shape with this contract for the next few years especially.
Brown gets a signing bonus of $8.5 million plus a base salary of $540,000 in 2012. In 2013, he receives a $2.5 million roster bonus and a $2 million base salary.In 2014, the salary increases to $6 million. It stays at $6 million in 2015 before increasing to $8.25 million in 2016. Finally, he receives $8.71 million in 2017.

I think the steelers made a mistake here just to prove a point to wallace. They could have had brown for 2 more years at a discount and let him play hard for that new contract while keeping wallace around for at least 1 more year. Now, they may have overpaid early for brown and lost their #1 deep threat. hmmmm
How would they have gotten two more years of Brown at a discount?? Not to mention, he's still only going to be making $540k this year, not like that has changed.

Brown already plays hard. That's why they're rewarding him now.

Antonio Brown

16 receptions

167 yards

0 Tds

69 receptions

1,108 yards

2 Tds

Combined totals

85 receptions

1,275 yards

2 Tds

Mike Wallace

39 receptions

756 yards

6 Tds

60 receptions

1,257 yards

10 Tds

72 receptions

1,193 yards

8 Tds

Combined totals

171 receptions

3,206 yards

24 Tds

I have always felt that Wallace was a good WR and the numbers show he's a lot better than many are assuming.

Wallace contract isn't in line with his production.

I think the Steelers should have paid him.

I don't think Brown has his talent and the numbers overwhelmingly prove this out.

How would they have gotten two more years of Brown at a discount?? Not to mention, he's still only going to be making $540k this year, not like that has changed.
Let him play out his rookie deal and then tender him for a year. Follow that up with a nice contract for 5 yrs or so if he plays up to it. While I love the talent we haven't seen him put a full season together against top corners. This would also possibly allow them to sign wallace long-term. Now it looks like the wallace relationship may be strained.My ideal situation all summer was to sign sanders long-term at a discount, tender wallace, and let brown play out this year. Then next yr franchise wallace and tender brown. Then the following yr sign brown long-term and let wallace walk.

Brown already plays hard. That's why they're rewarding him now.
I agree. I just don't think it was the best timing.

People saying Wallace is clearly better than Brown, consider that Brown didn't even start getting all the first-team reps until week 7 last year. Despite that :

His 28 3rd down catches ranked 3rd in the NFL.

He became the first player in NFL history with 1,000 receiving and 1,000 return yards in the same season.

He was voted by his teammates as the Steelers most valuable player last season - on a team with Ben Roethlisberger, Wallace, James Harrison, LaMarr Woodly, and Troy Polamalu and Maurkice Pouncey, both of whom were All-Pro last season.

Antonio Brown

16 receptions

167 yards

0 Tds

69 receptions

1,108 yards

2 Tds

Combined totals

85 receptions

1,275 yards

2 Tds

Mike Wallace

39 receptions

756 yards

6 Tds

60 receptions

1,257 yards

10 Tds

72 receptions

1,193 yards

8 Tds

Combined totals

171 receptions

3,206 yards

24 Tds

I have always felt that Wallace was a good WR and the numbers show he's a lot better than many are assuming.

I don't think Brown has his talent and the numbers overwhelmingly prove this out.
:goodposting:

Antonio Brown

16 receptions

167 yards

0 Tds

69 receptions

1,108 yards

2 Tds

Combined totals

85 receptions

1,275 yards

2 Tds

Mike Wallace

39 receptions

756 yards

6 Tds

60 receptions

1,257 yards

10 Tds

72 receptions

1,193 yards

8 Tds

Combined totals

171 receptions

3,206 yards

24 Tds

You can't compare seasonal totals when they didn't receive the same amount of snaps during that time span.

Antonio Brown

16 receptions

167 yards

0 Tds

69 receptions

1,108 yards

2 Tds

Combined totals

85 receptions

1,275 yards

2 Tds

Mike Wallace

39 receptions

756 yards

6 Tds

60 receptions

1,257 yards

10 Tds

72 receptions

1,193 yards

8 Tds

Combined totals

171 receptions

3,206 yards

24 Tds

You can't compare seasonal totals when they didn't receive the same amount of snaps during that time span.
Sure he can, it "proves" his point. Ignore the fact that during the time that Brown and Wallace were both full-time starters that Brown outperformed Wallace, despite being 2 years younger and having far less experience as a starting WR. Ignore the fact that Brown took $8M per while Wallace turned down $10M per. In his world, you can't determine what a player is worth to your team, the player just determines what he wants and if you choose not to pay the player that much, you "can't afford him."

Antonio Brown

16 receptions

167 yards

0 Tds

69 receptions

1,108 yards

2 Tds

Combined totals

85 receptions

1,275 yards

2 Tds

Mike Wallace

39 receptions

756 yards

6 Tds

60 receptions

1,257 yards

10 Tds

72 receptions

1,193 yards

8 Tds

Combined totals

171 receptions

3,206 yards

24 Tds

Sure he can, it "proves" his point. Ignore the fact that during the time that Brown and Wallace were both full-time starters that Brown outperformed Wallace, despite being 2 years younger and having far less experience as a starting WR. Ignore the fact that Brown took $8M per while Wallace turned down $10M per. In his world, you can't determine what a player is worth to your team, the player just determines what he wants and if you choose not to pay the player that much, you "can't afford him."
You give a guy a thumbs up for a quality post and the Steelers homers have to come charging into a second thread. Have a good read below:
NEWS ARTICLES > AFTER BROWN DEAL, WALLACE WON'T GET EXTENSION

Published Fri Jul 27 8:24:00 p.m. ET 2012

(Rotoworld) Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette confirms the Steelers will not be giving unsigned restricted free agent Mike Wallace a long-term deal after committing $42.5 million to teammate Antonio Brown.

Antonio Brown

16 receptions

167 yards

0 Tds

69 receptions

1,108 yards

2 Tds

Combined totals

85 receptions

1,275 yards

2 Tds

Mike Wallace

39 receptions

756 yards

6 Tds

60 receptions

1,257 yards

10 Tds

72 receptions

1,193 yards

8 Tds

Combined totals

171 receptions

3,206 yards

24 Tds

You give a guy a thumbs up for a quality post and the Steelers homers have to come charging into a second thread. Have a good read below:
NEWS ARTICLES > AFTER BROWN DEAL, WALLACE WON'T GET EXTENSION

Published Fri Jul 27 8:24:00 p.m. ET 2012

(Rotoworld) Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette confirms the Steelers will not be giving unsigned restricted free agent Mike Wallace a long-term deal after committing $42.5 million to teammate Antonio Brown.
And?Here's a Shark Pool tip : when threads center around Steelers' players, then yeah - you're probably going get Steelers homers in the thread. Wallace could have had $10,000,000 per for five years. He turned it down. Now, he'll likely have to get paid elsewhere. He probably will, and good for him. You'll notice the Steelers fans and the front office pretty much universally agree he's not worth more than that. The fact that you do is completely and utterly irrelevant.

Brown didn't take $8 million a year.

It's a 6 year deal through 2017 as the extension is added onto the year he has left. The yearly average is a little over $7 million and the guaranteed money is around $10 million. A great deal for the Steelers really.

Brown didn't take $8 million a year. It's a 6 year deal through 2017 as the extension is added onto the year he has left. The yearly average is a little over $7 million and the guaranteed money is around $10 million. A great deal for the Steelers really.
It really is. He's cuttable without much of a cap hit after about 2 years of this extension if he doesn't pan out for some reason. They could cut him with 3 years left on the deal and only take about a $5M cap hit if they needed to, though I highly doubt it will come to that.

You'll notice the Steelers fans and the front office pretty much universally agree he's not worth more than that. The fact that you do is completely and utterly irrelevant.
I'll notice that Steelers fans support the front office pretty much universally because they have a basement full of Steelers gear. Team over individual. That is the way it works. What you think is irrelevant, just like me.The Steelers could not afford both Wallace and Brown. They chose Brown because it fit their cap and they could not make it work with Wallace, just like I stated in post #1 of the other thread. :bye:

Antonio Brown

16 receptions

167 yards

0 Tds

69 receptions

1,108 yards

2 Tds

Combined totals

85 receptions

1,275 yards

2 Tds

Mike Wallace

39 receptions

756 yards

6 Tds

60 receptions

1,257 yards

10 Tds

72 receptions

1,193 yards

8 Tds

Combined totals

171 receptions

3,206 yards

24 Tds

Wallace produced because he's been given playing time. That's about all it proves. How can it prove that Brown is lacking in talent? Brown was lacking in playing time. Why don't someone show us the snap count data and where they stack up? You know, something that's actual useful and meaningful.

You'll notice the Steelers fans and the front office pretty much universally agree he's not worth more than that. The fact that you do is completely and utterly irrelevant.
I'll notice that Steelers fans support the front office pretty much universally because they have a basement full of Steelers gear. Team over individual. That is the way it works. What you think is irrelevant, just like me.The Steelers could not afford both Wallace and Brown. They chose Brown because it fit their cap and they could not make it work, just like I stated in post #1 of the other thread. :bye:
Yes, team over individual. Imagine that....And they could have afforded Wallace just fine, except that he wants more than he's worth. The Steelers will pay players, they just won't overpay them, which is what they'd have been doing if they gave Wallace the money he's looking for. He's not worth "Fitzgerald money." I'm not sure if you can't see it or are just choosing not to. I'm phrasing this delicately so you don't get all upset again.

Antonio Brown

16 receptions

167 yards

0 Tds

69 receptions

1,108 yards

2 Tds

Combined totals

85 receptions

1,275 yards

2 Tds

Mike Wallace

39 receptions

756 yards

6 Tds

60 receptions

1,257 yards

10 Tds

72 receptions

1,193 yards

8 Tds

Combined totals

171 receptions

3,206 yards

24 Tds

Wallace produced because he's been given playing time. That's about all it proves. How can it prove that Brown is lacking in talent? Brown was lacking in playing time. Why don't someone show us the snap count data and where they stack up? You know, something that's actual useful and meaningful.
It won't fit with his "argument."

I'll notice that Steelers fans support the front office pretty much universally because they have a basement full of Steelers gear.
Larry Fitz's dad must have a basement full of Steelers gear in Minnesota.@FitzBeatSr: Give Pittsburgh credit they do it right.The Steelers don't play games with business.Larry Jr learned a lot being next door to Steelers@Pitt

@FitzBeatSr: Signing Antonio Brown-extending Mike Tomlin 3 years.The Rooneys rule you might say. Evident most Vince Lombardi Trophys.

I think the timing by the Steelers is perfect. If Wallace holds out until week ten, Brown will probably put up very good numbers in 2012. That would likely make him a lot more expensive to sign long-term heading into next season than he is now.The Steelers have locked Brown up at a pre-full-breakout price (if last year was only a partial breakout), and did so with minimal risk since he's cuttable in a couple years if he doesn't live up to the contract.

Antonio Brown

16 receptions

167 yards

0 Tds

69 receptions

1,108 yards

2 Tds

Combined totals

85 receptions

1,275 yards

2 Tds

Mike Wallace

39 receptions

756 yards

6 Tds

60 receptions

1,257 yards

10 Tds

72 receptions

1,193 yards

8 Tds

Combined totals

171 receptions

3,206 yards

24 Tds

Or, you know, when they havent even played the same amount of seasons. I would guess Wallace has well over twice as many snaps as Brown. Hopefully someone who has a subscription to Pro Football Focus can post the exact snap counts though since theyre the only site Im aware of that does snap counts.

I think the timing by the Steelers is perfect. If Wallace holds out until week ten, Brown will probably put up very good numbers in 2012. That would likely make him a lot more expensive to sign long-term heading into next season than he is now.The Steelers have locked Brown up at a pre-full-breakout price (if last year was only a partial breakout), and did so with minimal risk since he's cuttable in a couple years if he doesn't live up to the contract.
I almost want Wallace to hold out at this point because I want to see what Brown does as the clear #1 guy.

I almost want Wallace to hold out at this point because I want to see what Brown does as the clear #1 guy.
At times last season Brown was drawing the no 1 Corners. (So being treated as the No 1 WR on the team anyway) Look at the Thur night game vs the Browns. When Joe Haden was covering him?? Exactly. Need I say anymore. Last time I checked Joe Haden was a pretty dang good CB. :popcorn:

All those MF punks dissin me cuz I traded Wallace for Brown straight up in week 10. Eff them. It was evident if you watch football who was the real future of the PIT WR corps.

Users who are viewing this thread