What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steelers Over the Patriots (1 Viewer)

Any given Sunday and all that. I think the key will be the how well PITT is able to protect Ben. This game will be all about the turnovers.It's going to hurt the Pats if Dillon can't go Sunday, too. They're just starting to get a nice mix of pass and run going with him around. I don't think Faulk can step into the role as effectively.Did I hear correctly that one of PITT's starting DBs is out tomorrow? How good is the stand in?
The Steelers lost both Casey Hampton (NT) and Chad Scott (CB). I think Hampton was by far the better player but I'm more concerened about Scott's replacement(s). Willie Williams is old and not the CB he once was and Ricardo Colclough is a rookie. That combined with two first-year starters at the safeties makes me more concerned about the corner. The good news is that Chad Scott wasn't that good anyway, so the dropoff may not be that noticable.

The good news is that Chad Scott wasn't that good anyway, so the dropoff may not be that noticable.
Pats fans are loving this logic! :rotflmao:
Steelers fans are loving your logic of the Pats going to 5 wr sets and getting Brady killed and knocked out of the game by LeBeau's blitzes and there is no Bledsoe to bail you out this time. :boxing:

I don't like the idea of taking a Cowher team in a big game. He seems to get outcoached too often. How many times have we seen Cowher teams choke in big games. 1994 AFC title AT HOME, ALMOST in the 1995 AFC title AT HOME, 1995 Super Bowl, 1997 AFC title game AT HOME, 2001 AFC title game AT HOME. Sure you can blame all this on the players, but the common thread is Cowher. I'm not guaranteeing the Patriots will win, but I think its pretty likely.
I'm not disagreeing with your overall point....but your using their 1995 AFC Championship WIN as a reason that Cowher is not a big game coach?? :confused:
Gee, how many big games did Cowher's teams win in order to get to the Conference championship/Super Bowl games they lost? Your first playoff game isn't the Conference championship game, you have to win "big games" in order to get there. Of course, since BGP is a Browns' homer, he has no way of knowing that. In the unusual event that they make it to the playoffs, they don't expect to win, so that when they lose home playoff games to the Steelers it doesn't count as a "big game".

The good news is that Chad Scott wasn't that good anyway, so the dropoff may not be that noticable.
Steelers fans are loving your logic of the Pats going to 5 wr sets and getting Brady killed and knocked out of the game by LeBeau's blitzes and there is no Bledsoe to bail you out this time. :boxing:
I'll be the first to admit I have not seen many Steelers games this year. But I can tell you I was @ the Pats-Pitt game in 2002. The patriots went 4 and 5 wide all night long and destroyed the Pitt secondary. Now it's been a few years and I am sure lots have changed since that game - But I guess it would not shock me to see Bill come out with the same game plan untill Pitt can stop it.

I'll be the first to admit I have not seen many Steelers games this year. But I can tell you I was @ the Pats-Pitt game in 2002. The patriots went 4 and 5 wide all night long and destroyed the Pitt secondary. Now it's been a few years and I am sure lots have changed since that game - But I guess it would not shock me to see Bill come out with the same game plan untill Pitt can stop it.
They might -- the Steelers CBs have a tendency to give a BIG cushion -- so it would likely be very effective. On the other hand NE has a tendency to do exactly the opposite of what you expect them to do and the Pats WRs are a little banged up.Add to the fact that the Steelers all-pro NT Casey Hampton was lost for the season in their last game and I think the Pats will start with Dillon running.I think the Steelers can win but it is going to be a very tough game. Turnovers and penalties are going to be HUGE.

Everyone will lose eventually. :rolleyes: However, when you are "very good, methodical, and well coached" you win most of your games, including the close ones. Anything can happen but the Pats don't make mistakes that lose games. Maybe that will happen this week, but I believe it will happen later rather than sooner.
Let me define my point a little more. Despite the streak, I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots lose in any given week. The streak is amazing because of their LACK of dominance. Fast forward to this years playoffs. Even if the Pats go undefeated, I could see them losing to the Colts or even Jags, Broncos or Jets. The 92-93 Cowboys lost a handful of meaningless regular season games, but there was no doubt at playoff time they were going to pummel their opponets.

CowboysFan is right in that the 92/93 Dallas team was far better then this New England team but you could argue that was the best team to ever play. Things have changed in the NFL since so I do not agree that the Pats are no less dominant today then the Cowboys were back then. My feeling is the Eagles are the only team that will have a chance of beating this team in the playoffs and that would not happen till the superbowl.For this week I will say this. Steeler fans and many NFL fans have always thought a little to highly of the Steelers(looking beyond the 70's teams of course). This is a well coached team that wins the easy ones but when it comes down to crunch time they tend to get dominated by the better teams. With a healthy defensive front they would have about a 10% chance of winning this game but this looks like a cakewalk for the Patriots. Pats 30Steelers 17

CowboysFan is right in that the 92/93 Dallas team was far better then this New England team but you could argue that was the best team to ever play. Things have changed in the NFL since so I do not agree that the Pats are no less dominant today then the Cowboys were back then. My feeling is the Eagles are the only team that will have a chance of beating this team in the playoffs and that would not happen till the superbowl.For this week I will say this. Steeler fans and many NFL fans have always thought a little to highly of the Steelers(looking beyond the 70's teams of course). This is a well coached team that wins the easy ones but when it comes down to crunch time they tend to get dominated by the better teams. With a healthy defensive front they would have about a 10% chance of winning this game but this looks like a cakewalk for the Patriots. Pats 30Steelers 17
Any team on any given Sunday has a better than 10% chance of winning. Looking back, the 95 Steeler team was pretty darn good and dominated the great Cowboys team in the Superbowl but lost on a couple of turnovers and that proves that turnovers dictate games more than who is the better team most of the time.

This is a well coached team that wins the easy ones but when it comes down to crunch time they tend to get dominated by the better teams.
This is ridiculous. Any Steelers fan will tell you that if anything, the Steelers play their best during the regular season against the better teams and tend to "play down" to the level of the lesser teams. This year, they have been winning those games against lesser teams, and that's why they're 5-1.In MANY years, you'll see a Steelers team that finishes 8-8 beat a 10-3 Oakland team 17-14 and then lose the following week to a 4-10 Bengals team....

Last edited by a moderator:
Steeler fans and many NFL fans have always thought a little to highly of the Steelers
I'm not so sure about this either. If you were to look up the Steelers' overall record over the last 10 years, I'd be willing to bet they're pretty far up the list compared to the rest of the league.

Let me define my point a little more. Despite the streak, I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots lose in any given week. The streak is amazing because of their LACK of dominance. Fast forward to this years playoffs. Even if the Pats go undefeated, I could see them losing to the Colts or even Jags, Broncos or Jets. The 92-93 Cowboys lost a handful of meaningless regular season games, but there was no doubt at playoff time they were going to pummel their opponets.
The Patriots have beaten the second and third best teams in the AFC, the Colts and Jets, three times each, and beat Jacksonville and Denver once apiece during the process. They're 7-0 against the teams you mentioned during their current consecutive games winning streak, and 8-0 in the last two years, with a combined score of 165-116 - which averages out to about a 21-14 win per game. They also beat the team that this year's Jags most resemble - last year's Panthers - in the Superbowl. They beat last year's Eagles 31-10, although the additions of Owens and Kearse might make up that three touchdown gap. They also beat last year's Titans twice. So when you say LACK of dominance, do you mean they're not winning by enough points? That they're not winning by as many points as the Cowboy dynasty teams? Because unlike those teams, all the possible San Franciscos to these Pats have been beaten along the way.

The Patriots have beaten the second and third best teams in the AFC, the Colts and Jets, three times each, and beat Jacksonville and Denver once apiece during the process. They're 7-0 against the teams you mentioned during their current consecutive games winning streak, and 8-0 in the last two years, with a combined score of 165-116 - which averages out to about a 21-14 win per game. They also beat the team that this year's Jags most resemble - last year's Panthers - in the Superbowl. They beat last year's Eagles 31-10, although the additions of Owens and Kearse might make up that three touchdown gap. They also beat last year's Titans twice. So when you say LACK of dominance, do you mean they're not winning by enough points? That they're not winning by as many points as the Cowboy dynasty teams? Because unlike those teams, all the possible San Franciscos to these Pats have been beaten along the way.
Wicked decent post! :football:

Mr. Levin... your reputation is intact. VERY astute - let me be the first to pimp your prediction.Yes, I AM giddy right now...
LOL!!Didn't bump it for that reason specifically - just wanted to bust B-Fred's chaps. (kidding).Although, I have been very vocal for a few weeks now that the Steeler's game would be the week the streak would end, so that probably prompted the bump.ON another note, if Jeff Reed is still unclaimed in your league, and you are a bit hurting at K - go get him.

Let's see, a rookie QB - ANY rookie QB against the team that made Peyton Manning their #####?Put me on the Patriots side here, but I will say - If Ben pulls this out (meaning HE wins the game, not a big time Patriots let down on O or Steelers ROCK on D), I'll gladly call him the best rookie QB ever.
Paging Jayhawk.......

I've just gotta give a shout out to my homeys and say "I told you so!"NE simple looked outmatched in this one and Pittsburgh beat them on every facet of the game. :P :P

:soap: How 'bout dem apples?

Let me be the voice of reason that points out all of New Englands injuries.

Other than that....

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO :stillers:

:soap: How 'bout dem apples?
I went back to your post where you named the class teams in the AFC, but couldn't find where you said the Steelers. Can you go back and point that out for me? Or are you just trying to take credit for saying that the Patriots were capable of losing?

After growing up as a season ticket holder and seeing all of those great teams of the 70's, I have to say that today's game had just as good of an atmosphere as those games in Three Rivers. Today was my first game at Heinz Field and I sure picked a great game to get my first taste. What a blast. The Steelers truly dominated that contest from start to finish in every area of the game. I think the Eagles better just stay on the bus. :stillers: :stillers: :stillers:

Last edited:
WELCOME TO ROETHLISBURGH!!! Hats off to the Pats and their fans, quite an impressive run. Every dog has its' day and today was ours. Hope to meet you guys down the road. :stillers:

Sounds like the Patriots aren't as good at being graceful in defeat as some of their fans on this board.

PITTSBURGH - The New England Patriots were more generous with turnovers Sunday than they were with compliments for Steelers rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.Roethlisberger outplayed Tom Brady, who threw two interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown by Deshea Townsend. Brady also lost a fumble as the Patriots' record 21-game winning streak ended with a 34-20 loss that wasn't even that close.Roethlisberger's passer rating was 126.4 to Brady's 72.9."He made some nice throws," Brady said. "He gave their guys a good chance to win."New England coach Bill Belichick was expected to have a full package of different looks to confuse Roethlisberger. Between quickly falling behind by 18 points and losing key personnel to injuries, the Patriots weren't able to do many of the things they'd planned."He made enough plays to win," was Belichick's terse evaluation of Roethlisberger.Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel, an ex-Steeler, said, "I don't think we ever put him in a position where he had to win the game. He made some good throws and his numbers were good but I don't think we made him win the game. He handed it off and he didn't fumble it when he handed it to Duce (Staley) and Jerome (Bettis)."
He kicked your tails, just suck it up and admit it.

Sounds like the Patriots aren't as good at being graceful in defeat as some of their fans on this board.

PITTSBURGH - The New England Patriots were more generous with turnovers Sunday than they were with compliments for Steelers rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.Roethlisberger outplayed Tom Brady, who threw two interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown by Deshea Townsend. Brady also lost a fumble as the Patriots' record 21-game winning streak ended with a 34-20 loss that wasn't even that close.Roethlisberger's passer rating was 126.4 to Brady's 72.9."He made some nice throws," Brady said. "He gave their guys a good chance to win."New England coach Bill Belichick was expected to have a full package of different looks to confuse Roethlisberger. Between quickly falling behind by 18 points and losing key personnel to injuries, the Patriots weren't able to do many of the things they'd planned."He made enough plays to win," was Belichick's terse evaluation of Roethlisberger.Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel, an ex-Steeler, said, "I don't think we ever put him in a position where he had to win the game. He made some good throws and his numbers were good but I don't think we made him win the game. He handed it off and he didn't fumble it when he handed it to Duce (Staley) and Jerome (Bettis)."
This is how the Patriots talk after every game. That's higher praise than Belichick gives Brady.

Still paging Jayhawk.... :P
Cut him some slack. Ben didn't have anything to do with the Steelers winning. Belicheck's Brilliant game plan obviously confused him and held him to a 126.4 QB rating.

I don't like the idea of taking a Cowher team in a big game.  He seems to get outcoached too often.  How many times have we seen Cowher teams choke in big games.  1994 AFC title AT HOME, ALMOST in the 1995 AFC title AT HOME, 1995 Super Bowl, 1997 AFC title game AT HOME, 2001 AFC title game AT HOME.  Sure you can blame all this on the players, but the common thread is Cowher.  I'm not guaranteeing the Patriots will win, but I think its pretty likely.
cowher choked here??? ahhhh//no.... cowher cant help it if QB over throws WR and some door knob intercepts 2 passes and brings them back to the 2 and 7 yd line..and proceeds to be super bowl MVP and than goes free agency to raiders and never heard of again... hard to stop a team om that short field.. it was the master mind of cowher that called for the onside kick to start 2nd half that turned game around FOR pitt... they outgained dallas nearly 2-1 on the ground....cant help QBs overthrows...in 1994 afc championship.. was it cowher on the field when odonnells pass from the 3 was deflected?? no.. cowher and co. led pitt back down the field for a chance to win that game.. and on 4th down odonnell s pass got tipped and fell incomplete..aand in 200 afc championship.. i believe NE had only 1 offensive TD.. cant blame that on cowher... kordell threw 2 ints with less than 3 minutes to go in game after pitt came back from a 21-3 deficit... say whay ya want.. but cowher is an awesome coach who LOSES many players a year to free agency.. AND O BY THE WAY.... when these awesome playeres leave, you never hardly hear from them again...... look at all the free agents that left and most did crap where they went..havent heard much bout chad brown,kirkland,or woodson..again proving it was cowher who did the job on those guys.... cowher rules.. and it showed sunday when he BLEW NEW ENGLAND RIGHT OUT OF THE STADIUM,, no talk about cowhers game plan there except it was FLAWLESS.. man he rocks..cant stand seeing people knock the coach when the game comes down to just a couple plays that the player messed up..not the coach....just my 2 centsAND ALSO.. SF LOST ALOT IF FREE AGENCY THIS YEAR..AND IT SHOWS!! YOU DONT SEE COWHER FALLING.. HE GOES OUT AND DRAFTS MORE AWESOME KIDS AND THEY KEEP RIGHT ON GOING..next step.. attempt to slow down might philly..GO BIG BEN

Congrats to the Steel City, I didn't think the Patriots would roll over so easily but obviously we're seeing something special in Pittsburgh this year in the form of Big Ben. Not sure how much longer he has to play like this before he's no longer considered "on a hot streak" rather than just "darn good." Looking forward to a spirited Pennsy Bowl next weekend! :thumbup:

Yep, the Steelers are good. They made nice turnovers, giving their offense a short field to work with, and they converted. Hats off. Hopefully we'll get a rematch in the playoffs!GG

Congrats to the Steel City, I didn't think the Patriots would roll over so easily but obviously we're seeing something special in Pittsburgh this year in the form of Big Ben. Not sure how much longer he has to play like this before he's no longer considered "on a hot streak" rather than just "darn good." Looking forward to a spirited Pennsy Bowl next weekend! :thumbup:
Woodrow, I think that he's done enough. The last knock on Roethlisberger was the whole : "let's see how he does against a good team in a big game..... let's see if he can handle a Belichick-designed defensive scheme, etc."With that firmly out the window, I think even the biggest naysayers have to finally admit that the guy can flat-out play. With the arm he has, the size, and the mobility, it's the POISE and INTELLIGENCE that are making him a winner. The biggest knocks on Roethlisberger coming out of college were that he couldn't handle the speed of the pro game, had trouble making reads, tried to force the ball too much and would turn it over a lot, etc. The guy has gone out, played within the confines of the offense, doesn't turn the ball over, and makes enough plays to win every game. This, coupled with the physical ability to win a game with his arm if called upon, is what makes him a very good NFL QB right now, IMHO.That said, the Eagles will be a tough task next week. Anyone seen a line yet?

Woodrow, I think that he's done enough. The last knock on Roethlisberger was the whole : "let's see how he does against a good team in a big game..... let's see if he can handle a Belichick-designed defensive scheme, etc."With that firmly out the window, I think even the biggest naysayers have to finally admit that the guy can flat-out play. With the arm he has, the size, and the mobility, it's the POISE and INTELLIGENCE that are making him a winner. The biggest knocks on Roethlisberger coming out of college were that he couldn't handle the speed of the pro game, had trouble making reads, tried to force the ball too much and would turn it over a lot, etc. The guy has gone out, played within the confines of the offense, doesn't turn the ball over, and makes enough plays to win every game. This, coupled with the physical ability to win a game with his arm if called upon, is what makes him a very good NFL QB right now, IMHO.That said, the Eagles will be a tough task next week. Anyone seen a line yet?
I would guess Steelers by 2.5, but that's totally a gut reaction.

I would guess Steelers by 2.5, but that's totally a gut reaction.
I'd be willing to bet that you're pretty close there. Had this game happened yesterday, I think the Eagles would have been favored, but after the Patriots win, the oddsmakers are going to be very wary of giving the Steelers points at home. Pittsburgh by 1.5 - 2.5 seems like it might be where it lands.

Philly's O line is much better and should be better against the blitz. Philly's facing them in a possible letdown week, after a big win against a team they'd been talking about and preparing for for two weeks with a bye. Philly's got more playmakers if they get behind, and has been outscoring opponents badly. Philly's got healthy corners and will be able to sneak a safety in the box. A lot of people are going to be high on the Steelers after they ended the Patriots's streak, but I think the Philly game is going to be completely different. I like Philly and would give the points, but if I were betting it, I'd wait to bet the game until the line moved a little in Pittsburgh's direction.

Philly's O line is much better and should be better against the blitz. Philly's facing them in a possible letdown week, after a big win against a team they'd been talking about and preparing for for two weeks with a bye. Philly's got more playmakers if they get behind, and has been outscoring opponents badly. Philly's got healthy corners and will be able to sneak a safety in the box. A lot of people are going to be high on the Steelers after they ended the Patriots's streak, but I think the Philly game is going to be completely different. I like Philly and would give the points, but if I were betting it, I'd wait to bet the game until the line moved a little in Pittsburgh's direction.
This after Philly was taken to OT by the Browns 2 weeks ago and winning by only 5 against the JLewis-less Ravens?

This is how the Patriots talk after every game. That's higher praise than Belichick gives Brady.
NO doubt - the Patriots almost NEVER talk about their opponents - that's why they win. They are confident that if they make the plays they are supposed to, and do what they are supoposed to, they will win the game or at least be there in the end, regardless of how many good plays the other team makes. They simply don't heap praise, or criticism, on their opponents.

Without Westbrook I doubt that Philly will be able to run against the Steelers defense. The game is going to come down to what Owens and McNabb can do against the Steelers passing defense. Given what I saw against the Patriots, I am definitely encouraged.On the other side of the coin, the Philly defense has looked awful against the run the past 2 weeks. Duce Staley is going to have a HUGE game.

This after Philly was taken to OT by the Browns 2 weeks ago and winning by only 5 against the JLewis-less Ravens?
Philly came off their bye week and crushed Carolina, then almost lost to Cleveland. Pittsburgh came off their bye week and crushed the Patriots, then plays Philly. Looking closer, in the Cleveland game, Philly jumped out to a 21-10 lead early, scoring on three of their first four possessions, but got themselves in trouble when Garcia, TO's former QB, went on a tear.The Ravens are letting up 13 points per game, 27 of which came from KC. The Eagles scored 15 against them, which is above that average. I'm not a Philly apologist; they shouldn't have let Kyle Boller score at all. But they still had a good game. I'm also not a Pittsburgh hater. The Pats-Steelers rivalry has been pretty one sided until yesterday, especially during the Kordell era, so I don't really hate them, although their fans certainly hate the Pats and Patriots fans. And I'm not bitter about yesterday - you won't find many unhappy fans in New England right now. I'm just not sold on them. Pittsburgh has beaten Oakland, Miami, Cinci, Cleveland, Dallas - none of which is a great team. They came off their bye to crush a beaten up Pats team that lost both their starting corners, both their starting offensive tackles, their best WR, and their starting running back. I'm not taking anything away from that win - Pittsburgh did everything they were supposed to do, and did it exceptionally well - but the Patriots couldn't put up their best competition. They're coming off a huge win after a bye week. I see a big letdown here. Someone else will end Philly's win streak.

They came off their bye to crush a beaten up Pats team that lost both their starting corners, both their starting offensive tackles, their best WR, and their starting running back. I'm not taking anything away from that win - Pittsburgh did everything they were supposed to do, and did it exceptionally well - but the Patriots couldn't put up their best competition.
Don't say you aren't taking anything away from that win and then bring up all of the Patriots injuires.Don't forget that the Steelers were also playing without their starting CB, RG, NT and LB. Not to mention starting a rookie QB with a total of 5 starts to his credit.It looked to me that the Steelers were the more physical team yesterday.

hey bryhamm...... not to get off the steelers impressive win.. but..who tyhe hell is that gorgeous woman on you sig???? man!! thats hott

They came off their bye to crush a beaten up Pats team that lost both their starting corners, both their starting offensive tackles, their best WR, and their starting running back. I'm not taking anything away from that win - Pittsburgh did everything they were supposed to do, and did it exceptionally well - but the Patriots couldn't put up their best competition.
Injuries are part of life in the NFL. The Steelers are missing their top 2 QBs from the preseason, their starting RG, their top CB, a Pro Bowl ILB and NT. The Steelers had the quality depth to replace these guys, it appears the Pats do not.

Users who are viewing this thread