What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steelers Over the Patriots (1 Viewer)

WildGeneral

Footballguy
I really see the Steelers being able to beat the Patriots at Heinz field this weekend. I think that 'The Streak' is about to be broken. The Steelers are always tough at home and matchup fairly well against the Pats.If Big Ben keeps the turnovers to a minimum, I look for the Steelers to upset the Patriots, thereby solidifying Ben's starting spot even after Maddox returns.Anybody else out there thinking that the Steelers can pull the upset? Or am I just crazy?[FYI, not a Steelers fan] [Go Cowboys! :bag: ]

I really see the Steelers being able to beat the Patriots at Heinz field this weekend. I think that 'The Streak' is about to be broken. The Steelers are always tough at home and matchup fairly well against the Pats.If Big Ben keeps the turnovers to a minimum, I look for the Steelers to upset the Patriots, thereby solidifying Ben's starting spot even after Maddox returns.Anybody else out there thinking that the Steelers can pull the upset? Or am I just crazy?[FYI, not a Steelers fan] [Go Cowboys! :bag: ]
It's a vogue pick listening to many radio shows this week. I even said yesterday on a radio segment that I "wouldn't be surprised" but the more I think about it, I think Pittsburgh will be hard pressed. The loss of Casey Hampton REALLY changes Pitt's ability to stop the run IMHO; so I think Dillon will have opportunities. Plus, I have to believe that as good as Big Ben has been, there's a reason no rookie QB has ever finished the year with a completion percentage in the 60s...Belichick and Crennel will have some wrinkles to force the kid into a mistake or two.Pats take a close one...

Yeah I thought the Jets might pull it off but it looks like the Steelers are set up nicely. They've had two weeks to prepare and they get the Pats at Heinz field.On offense Pittsburgh needs to control the clock with Duce and Jerome and get a few clutch throws from Big Ben. Defensively they need to blitz Brady and try to keep him from getting into a rhythm. I like the Pats, but this should be a great game and hopefully the Steelers can get 'er done! :football:

You are crazy. The Steelers are already making excuses for why they will lose.Excuses, excuses

Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress supports the NFL's plan to keep a closer eye on pass interference and holding penalties in the secondary. But there's one problem. "It doesn't apply to (the New England Patriots)," Burress said. "I think it applies to everybody else." Burress said Patriots defensive backs are getting away with arm-barring potential pass catchers out of bounds by throwing up an arm to impede their path. "Ty Law (Patriots Pro Bowl cornerback) is pushing guys 10-15 yards downfield," Burress said. "They are stopping in front of guys and bumping them when they are 20 yards downfield." Burress was asked if he will chat with the game officials before Sunday's game with the Patriots at Heinz Field to remind them of his observations. "I'm going to send them some tickets or something, before the game," he said. "Hopefully, we can get some calls." Burress said the Patriots status as the reigning Super Bowl champions probably has a lot to do with the officials' leniency. "But the officials are doing the best job they can," Burress said. "Unfortunately for all of the (other) teams, they just seem to miss all the defensive calls on New England. If they can get away with something, they are definitely going to try to use it to their advantage." Law said he rates the Steelers' trio of wide receivers (Burress, Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El) among the best in the league, including them with the St. Louis Rams' and Indianapolis Colts' receivers. "You pick your poison when you talk about those receiving corps," he said. In past games, Law has covered Ward almost exclusively. Asked about the plan for Sunday, Law said, laughing, "I'd be a fool to answer that question." But he added, "I'm probably going to see little bit of both (Ward and Burress) of them."

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend believe Pitt will take them this week. With T Poole out this week, 1 of the Pitt WR will break their back! Pitt Offense will be able to score on NE and their Defense will be able to contain Dillon.... it depends on Brady's WR's to see how the game goes.I'll take Pitt and the points! (what ever the line is?!)

It's possible, but there's no way I'd bet on it. It all hinges on Roethlisberger. The kid has been phenomenal, but his 4 wins have been against mediocre-to-bad teams with mostly terrible run defenses. Cleveland's the best of the 4, allowing 107/game, while Miami (130), Dallas (134), and Cincy (154) just plain stink. This allowed the strong Pittsburgh running game to control the ball, thus making things easier for the passing game.

New England has been allowing 326 yards/game, which isn't that good. But, in 6 games, they've also gotten 19 sacks, 7 picks, 5 fumble recoveries, and 1 defensive TD.

So, it should be a great game, and Pittsburgh is certainly good enough to win it. But, Brady and the Pats have been finding ways to pull wins out of their #### all season, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

Let me preface by stating, I am not a Brady or Roethlisberger owner, but I think both of these teams are going to light it up offensively this week - especially the passing game. Here's some info I dug up....

Brady seems to have his best passing games on the road especially against tough opponents (for whatever reason).

2003 @ PHI: 253 yd, 3 TD (tough opponent)

2003 @ WAS 289 yd, 2 TD

2003 @ MIN 283 yd, 2 TD (tough opponent)

2003 @ DEN 350 yd, 3 TD (tough opponent)

2003 @ HOU 368 yd, 2 TD

2004 only 2 road games thus far...@ARI, @BUF - not exactly tough opponents, but he did pass for 2 TD each game, plus he threw for 298 yards against the Bills defense.

Brady: 12 TD in 5 road games last year, including 8 TD in 3 road games against tough opponents. This season he already has 4 TD's in 2 road games.

It appears as if the Pats and Brady tend to lean towards the passing game in big matchup type games, especially on the road. I would classify this game at Pittsburgh as being one of those games. If Pittsburgh comes to play, it could set the table for a back and forth battle that is won through the air. Both teams have very capable receivers, which also leads to more of a lean towards the passing game.

It's the game of the week - do you think we'll see small ball? I don't think so.

It's too trendy right now, too many people are picking it.  The Pats will lose at Kansas City, not before.
Now that the Steelers are the trendy pick, they will no longer beat the Patriots. Had they remained a less-popular pick, they would have pulled off the upset. But unfortunately, public sentiment has exerted its mighty influence over the outcome of NFL football games once again... :P

Last time the Pats were in Pittsburgh (2001 AFC Champ) Brady was KO'd and Bledsoe led them to the Super Bowl. That may be the Steelers best shot at a victory this week, love to see what Rohan Davey can do! Keys for the Steelers:1- Steelers must establish Duce Staley early. If they can't get the running game going the Pats will be all over Roethlisberger.2- Getting Brady & Co. off the field on 3rd down. The Pats short passing game has killed the Steelers their last 2 meetings. Dillon is a concern with Hampton out but if Kendrell Bell returns, even in limited duty, he is a much better run stuffer than Larry Foote. I look for this to be a tight game and a great learning experience for Roethlisberger. My gut tells me the Steelers can't stop Brady in the clutch but my heart says:Steelers 24Pats 23 :stillers:

Brady seems to have his best passing games on the road especially against tough opponents (for whatever reason).2003 @ PHI: 253 yd, 3 TD (tough opponent)2003 @ WAS 289 yd, 2 TD2003 @ MIN 283 yd, 2 TD (tough opponent)2003 @ DEN 350 yd, 3 TD (tough opponent)2003 @ HOU 368 yd, 2 TD
Complete hijack...This totally proves my point that Brady manages the games and lets his defense win it when thats all he has to do. However, when faced with a tough, close game, and when he has to step up, Brady alwasy does- He is the best QB in the leauge. He just doesn't put up huge stats all the time because he doesn't always have to.Hijack over.

I feel there will be more pressure on the Steelers DBs than Big Ben!!! If the steelers lose, it will be because of their DBs not being able to cover New England's WRs. I believe the steelers will be able to run the ball and take some pressure off Ben. Then he will be able to play action pass and have SOME success. BUT it all comes down to the steelers' secondary. The more rushes and pressure, the better!! We definitely need to see BLITZBURGH this week!!! :thumbup:

Brady seems to have his best passing games on the road especially against tough opponents (for whatever reason).2003 @ PHI: 253 yd, 3 TD (tough opponent)2003 @ WAS 289 yd, 2 TD2003 @ MIN 283 yd, 2 TD (tough opponent)2003 @ DEN 350 yd, 3 TD (tough opponent)2003 @ HOU 368 yd, 2 TD
Complete hijack...This totally proves my point that Brady manages the games and lets his defense win it when thats all he has to do. However, when faced with a tough, close game, and when he has to step up, Brady alwasy does- He is the best QB in the leauge. He just doesn't put up huge stats all the time because he doesn't always have to.Hijack over.
I think this just proves the point that the Pats didn't have a running game worth crap last year so they were forced to throw against tough teams to keep themselves in the game. With Dillon they can afford to play more of a ball control offense this year. I do however, think THIS game will come down to Brady & his WRs vs Pitt's secondary and I think Brady wins that battle (and I'm a Steelers fan :unsure: )

The Pats are rightfully favored. I'd like to see an upset but if Pittsburgh can pull it off, it will be just that, an UPSET. All of this "THE STREAK ENDS THIS WEEK" talk is just more fuel for the whiny tool nation to grandstand if they win. Shut up and lets get to some football.

I said this was the week after they came back from the bye in week 4.I just looked at the schedule:mad:Buf Mia Sea NYJ @Pit @StL And saw the Pitt game - their first road game after a three game home stand that included likely big wins versus the hated Jets and Dolphins - as the perfect trap game.I also said this last week when folks were talking about the Jets winning - I said I would love to see it, but figured this week was the week, not the Jets game.I actually believe they will lose the next TWO games.

I think this just proves the point that the Pats didn't have a running game worth crap last year so they were forced to throw against tough teams to keep themselves in the game. With Dillon they can afford to play more of a ball control offense this year. I do however, think THIS game will come down to Brady & his WRs vs Pitt's secondary and I think Brady wins that battle (and I'm a Steelers fan :unsure: )
I think this just proves more that the Pats defense in 2003 was nowhere near as good on the road as it was at hom e- they were in close games on the road, defensive blowouts at home.Don't read too much into this - it is last year's stats.

<pats fanI cartainly think pitt has as good as shot as anyone this year. They will need to run, run, run. and get some turnovers.If Brady needs to light a fire he will.i just dont see cower and ben being able to beat the pats D.My prediction. 28-10 pats.pitt turns over the ball 4 times.

Pittsburgh wins this one in a rout......New England can get rid of all the reporters and cameras following this ongoing streak, a bad loss to Pitt will let BB go off on all his pansy "Leon type" WR's trying to get them on the field....Plus I get the added benefit of having a happy wife around this week (Big Pitt Fan)!!!!... :mellow:

Sure, anything is possible. But I think the Pats' defense steps up, as usual, and gives Big Ben a tough lesson in hard-nosed football.Whoever said it earlier, I think KC has a good chance of beating the Pats. They are on the rebound, and the key part is that their defense is finally stepping it up and not allowing teams to run all over them...My guess:Pats 27Steelers 13

I'm not sold on the Steelers yet. Sure, the Steelers are 5-1, but the combined records of the teams that they have beat is a whopping 10-23.
And the combined records of the teams the Pats have beaten is 16-23. That stat doesn't mean much.

2- Getting Brady & Co. off the field on 3rd down. The Pats short passing game has killed the Steelers their last 2 meetings.
I agree -- this is THE key for a Steelers victory.If the Steelers can stop NEs short passing attack (a very big IF), then they will win.

I mentioned a month ago that the Steelers would have the best chance to beat the Pats, but I am still not convinced that they will. I'm not so sure a rookie will be able to do much against the Pats D when a guy like Manning hasn't been able to get it done in three tries. Whoever wins the turnover battle will win this one.

I hate to say this, but I won't pick against the Pats until they are beaten again.
Laying money? Probably not.What do I *think* will happen? That's another story. I lay my thoughts out, and put those on the line. Yeah, I would'nt bet money, or pick against them in a "pick 'em" contest.The Broncos would have had my "money" last week, too, but my friend and I were talking about it on the way to watching the game at his house - biggest trap game of the year for the Broncos. And it was.I see the Pitt game as the EXACT same trap game for the Pats.

I hate to say this, but I won't pick against the Pats until they are beaten again.
Laying money? Probably not.What do I *think* will happen? That's another story. I lay my thoughts out, and put those on the line. Yeah, I would'nt bet money, or pick against them in a "pick 'em" contest.The Broncos would have had my "money" last week, too, but my friend and I were talking about it on the way to watching the game at his house - biggest trap game of the year for the Broncos. And it was.I see the Pitt game as the EXACT same trap game for the Pats.
THe only way I see this as a trap game for the Pats is if the team partied too hard celebrating the Red Sox WS victory (which is a distinct possibility). Guys from both teams hang out together all the time. Not sure if any Pats players will be around on Saturday, the day of the "official" Sox victory celebration.

Maybe this week, maybe next, but Pats will lose eventually. It's not like they are blowing people away (this year or last). They are just very good, methodical, and well coached. Eventually a ball will bounce the wrong way towards the end of a game.

Good points Marc, nothing is a given in the NFL, the "On any given Sunday" sentiment is about as accurate as a portayal as I can muster. My reasoning for my first post was I thought they were going to get beat before, but they keep proving me wrong. It's to the point I want to see them lose, and lose often. For whatever reason I hate to see a team do to well, it must be from growing up in Detroit. :lol:

Maybe this week, maybe next, but Pats will lose eventually. It's not like they are blowing people away (this year or last). They are just very good, methodical, and well coached. Eventually a ball will bounce the wrong way towards the end of a game.
ALthough MANY will disagree, I think the Pats have the ability to win by a lot more but temper their approach to minimize risk, expend less energy, and limit turnovers.If you've watched their games, they have a very similar pattern. They almost always score on the first drive, often score WAY more in the first half and build up a lead, and then do enough to win.In their 21 game win streak, they have VERY rarely been behind, they seem to always give up a TD or more in the 4th quarter to SEEMINGLY let the other team back into the game, yet they have still been able to win. So they are normally up 10-14 points going into the 4th quarter, give up some points, and the final score LOOKS closer than the flow of the game may have indicated.From an energy consumption perspective, I think they don't let their batteries get too run down, so even if the game got closer than they expected it to, they can flick the switch and turn it up a notch or two. Certainly, the offense has shown this, as Brady and the offense has scored a lot more points when they had to but rarely when they didn't.They just don't run up the score, but don't mistake that for meaning they are not a great team. They only care if the score is at least 1 points more than the opposition at the end of the game.At this point, I think they have also planted seeds of doubt into their competition, as the teams that they've played often make far more mistakes than normal, many with the Pats defense having little to do with it. If you can start playing with people's minds, it will be very difficult for that team to execute very well.

THe only way I see this as a trap game for the Pats is if the team partied too hard celebrating the Red Sox WS victory (which is a distinct possibility). Guys from both teams hang out together all the time. Not sure if any Pats players will be around on Saturday, the day of the "official" Sox victory celebration.
I know you are making a funny here, but there was no WAY the Broncos should have lost to the Bengals, and they got their asses handed to them on a silver platter by the Bengal's defense.And they caused a buttload of turnovers that Jake normally wouldn't have and let up a buttload of big plays - especially on the ground - that was uncharacteristic of the Broncos' defense to this point.Any game can be a trap game for a team going on the road for the first time in a month. Think about that for a minute - they haven't been on the road since the Bills' game - which was a pretty competitive game.This game is the definition of a trap game, IMO.

I'm not sold on the Steelers yet. Sure, the Steelers are 5-1, but the combined records of the teams that they have beat is a whopping 10-23.
And the combined records of the teams the Pats have beaten is 16-23. That stat doesn't mean much.
True, (although I believe it is 14-21) it does look pretty meaningless and I am not saying that they don't look solid, but given that they lost to the only above .500 team they played, I am just not sure how good this team is. They do win the games that good teams are supposed to, but until they beat a couple quality opponents, I remain unsure. I also made the mistake of picking the Seahawks over the Patriots a couple of weeks ago and won't pick against them until they lose again.

Rookie QB + Belichick = TroubleBelichick will come up with something to confuse Big Ben. I think Ben will be a great QB and is playing great right now, but Belichick is a defensive mastermind. I wouldn't pick this game to be the one that the Pats lose. I do think that the Steelers match up well against the Pats but I'm not buying Ben's ability to not make mistakes against the Pats defense.

Let's see, a rookie QB - ANY rookie QB against the team that made Peyton Manning their #####?Put me on the Patriots side here, but I will say - If Ben pulls this out (meaning HE wins the game, not a big time Patriots let down on O or Steelers ROCK on D), I'll gladly call him the best rookie QB ever.

I mentioned a month ago that the Steelers would have the best chance to beat the Pats, but I am still not convinced that they will. I'm not so sure a rookie will be able to do much against the Pats D when a guy like Manning hasn't been able to get it done in three tries. Whoever wins the turnover battle will win this one.
Steelers lead the AFC in takeaways. That's one area in which I think they can actually edge out the Pats, so let's hope you're right..... :D

Everyone will lose eventually. :rolleyes: However, when you are "very good, methodical, and well coached" you win most of your games, including the close ones. Anything can happen but the Pats don't make mistakes that lose games. Maybe that will happen this week, but I believe it will happen later rather than sooner.

"I'm going to send them some tickets or something, before the game," he said. "Hopefully, we can get some calls."
Now didnt he learn from Chad Johnson that sending anything to anyone before the game is a bad idea?

If Testeverde can pass at will against the Steelers secondary, I think Brady will do alright. Look for the Pats to go 5 wide early and often. Pats 27Stihlers 17

This game is the definition of a trap game, IMO.
The thing that makes me hesitant to call this a "trap" game is all the publicity this game is getting. Because Pitt is 5-1 & the Pats are 6-0, the media has been hyping it as the game of the week. That should be enough to get the Pats psyched up & ready for the game. If Pitt were 4-2 or 3-3, I would be more prone to calling it a trap.Being a Steelers homer, I hope that they can pull out a win, but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting money on the Steelers to win the game though.It seems like anytime they get national recognition, they get a big head and then proceed to get their collective asses handed to them on a platter. :bag:

The thing that makes me hesitant to call this a "trap" game is all the publicity this game is getting. Because Pitt is 5-1 & the Pats are 6-0, the media has been hyping it as the game of the week. That should be enough to get the Pats psyched up & ready for the game. If Pitt were 4-2 or 3-3, I would be more prone to calling it a trap.
Excellent point that I had not considered - you are probably right on that.
I wouldn't feel comfortable putting money on the Steelers to win the game though.
Yup. See my comments above - I wouldn't lay money against the Pats right now under almost any circumstances.That said, I still lay my reputation/expertise/whatever on the line that the Steelers win this one.

I don't like the idea of taking a Cowher team in a big game. He seems to get outcoached too often. How many times have we seen Cowher teams choke in big games. 1994 AFC title AT HOME, ALMOST in the 1995 AFC title AT HOME, 1995 Super Bowl, 1997 AFC title game AT HOME, 2001 AFC title game AT HOME. Sure you can blame all this on the players, but the common thread is Cowher. I'm not guaranteeing the Patriots will win, but I think its pretty likely.

I don't like the idea of taking a Cowher team in a big game.  He seems to get outcoached too often.  How many times have we seen Cowher teams choke in big games.  1994 AFC title AT HOME, ALMOST in the 1995 AFC title AT HOME, 1995 Super Bowl, 1997 AFC title game AT HOME, 2001 AFC title game AT HOME.  Sure you can blame all this on the players, but the common thread is Cowher.  I'm not guaranteeing the Patriots will win, but I think its pretty likely.
Cowher may be cursed by Marty Schottenhiemer (never able to win the big one) but he is actually 7-4 lifetime against Belichick, including 1-1 in the postseason.

In other news...water is wet.

The thing that makes me hesitant to call this a "trap" game is all the publicity this game is getting. Because Pitt is 5-1 & the Pats are 6-0, the media has been hyping it as the game of the week. That should be enough to get the Pats psyched up & ready for the game. If Pitt were 4-2 or 3-3, I would be more prone to calling it a trap.
I wouldn't feel comfortable putting money on the Steelers to win the game though.
Yup. See my comments above - I wouldn't lay money against the Pats right now under almost any circumstances.That said, I still lay my reputation/expertise/whatever on the line that the Steelers win this one.
I don't understand.So basically you want to pick the Steelers, but in your heart of hearts you don't really believe that they will win.Basically, you want to be recognized for a great pick if the Steelers do indeed win, but then if they lose you can just say, "Oh well...I made a gutsy pick and was wrong."

I don't like the idea of taking a Cowher team in a big game. He seems to get outcoached too often. How many times have we seen Cowher teams choke in big games. 1994 AFC title AT HOME, ALMOST in the 1995 AFC title AT HOME, 1995 Super Bowl, 1997 AFC title game AT HOME, 2001 AFC title game AT HOME. Sure you can blame all this on the players, but the common thread is Cowher. I'm not guaranteeing the Patriots will win, but I think its pretty likely.
I'm not disagreeing with your overall point....but your using their 1995 AFC Championship WIN as a reason that Cowher is not a big game coach?? :confused:

I don't understand.So basically you want to pick the Steelers, but in your heart of hearts you don't really believe that they will win.Basically, you want to be recognized for a great pick if the Steelers do indeed win, but then if they lose you can just say, "Oh well...I made a gutsy pick and was wrong."
No - I wouldn't put MONEY on it, but I believe the Steelers will win the game.Putting money on a game is not the only way to put yourself behind a pick.I have been saying for weeks that this was the game where the streak would end, so my rep is already on it and I can't escape simply by saying:
"Oh well...I made a gutsy pick and was wrong."

The 2002 wildcard game AT HOME WITH BILL COWHER COACHING vs the Browns went pretty well. :rotflmao:

This always makes me laugh. The AFC Championship game vs New England was decided by 2 special teams plays, a blocked kick and a punt return. Was that bad coaching? I don't know but it looked like poor blocking and tackling to me.SBXXX was decided by Neil O'Donnell throwing two passes directly to Larry Brown. Was that Cowher's fault too?I don't see how you can say he was outcoached in any of those games. Sometimes the bounces don't go your way. Sometimes you get outplayed. Sometimes the other team is just better.

Belichick will show the world how to beat big Ben, he'll never be the same, and Larry Fitzgerald will win rookie of the year.

Any given Sunday and all that. I think the key will be the how well PITT is able to protect Ben. This game will be all about the turnovers.It's going to hurt the Pats if Dillon can't go Sunday, too. They're just starting to get a nice mix of pass and run going with him around. I don't think Faulk can step into the role as effectively.Did I hear correctly that one of PITT's starting DBs is out tomorrow? How good is the stand in?

Users who are viewing this thread