What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephan Ridley moving forward... (1 Viewer)

He's killing me too but I'm gonna hold out..........keep hope alive. :whistle:
Best game of the season coming this week.
That is not really saying much.

80 yards and 0 TDs? 100+ yards and 1 TD?
18 for 90 and a score.

It's cliche, but you beat the Saints by controlling the ball with your running game. The Saints can be run on, and after Blount's fumble I expect the Patriots to let Ridley pound it.
Nice call
:bowtie:

It did look like he got a little winded, but that was the most he's been used so far all season. I thought he looked great with excellent burst on several of his runs. With Bolden dinged maybe they'll use him a little more in the passing game as well after he made a nice play on the screen pass? His value should only be going up with Gronk returning soon.

We all knew Ridley would split time with other backs. That shouldn't have been a surprise, but this was the type of game more of us were expecting. 15-20 touches with a few cracks at the stripe.

He's killing me too but I'm gonna hold out..........keep hope alive. :whistle:
Best game of the season coming this week.
That is not really saying much.

80 yards and 0 TDs? 100+ yards and 1 TD?
18 for 90 and a score.

It's cliche, but you beat the Saints by controlling the ball with your running game. The Saints can be run on, and after Blount's fumble I expect the Patriots to let Ridley pound it.
Nice call
:bowtie:

It did look like he got a little winded, but that was the most he's been used so far all season. I thought he looked great with excellent burst on several of his runs. With Bolden dinged maybe they'll use him a little more in the passing game as well after he made a nice play on the screen pass? His value should only be going up with Gronk returning soon.

We all knew Ridley would split time with other backs. That shouldn't have been a surprise, but this was the type of game more of us were expecting. 15-20 touches with a few cracks at the stripe.
We keep saying this, since week 2 we've been saying "Gronk should be back in a week or two and then Brady and Ridley's value goes back to 2012 value" and then every week Gronk doesn't play. So I'm really done counting on Gronk coming back. Everything we're hearing is that his agents doctor won't clear him to come back to play. The team's cleared Gronk and he's opting to sit out until he personal doctor clears him. Who knows when that could be, apparently there's concern that his arm still hasn't healed correctly.

Owning Ridley is a monster headache, I really wish I could find someone who would buy him as a RB2 type of buy. Cause I know I'll start him next week and he'll rumble his way to 6 carries for 8 yards and I'll want to throw my dinner at the TV.

I got tired of waiting for him and threw him to the waiver wire last week and now he puts up good points! Go figure. It's still not worth the headache of having him on my roster. I'm stashing Vareen though. I like him long term a lot better.

This week was a sign of hope for Ridley, but he was still out of the game for the most part in the 4th quarter. They continue to run Blount out there despite a fumble last week and not really showing signs of much.

I don't know what RB situation is more frustrating this year. Owning Ridley on this NE team or owning Lamar Miller on the Dolphins.

This week was a sign of hope for Ridley, but he was still out of the game for the most part in the 4th quarter. They continue to run Blount out there despite a fumble last week and not really showing signs of much.

I don't know what RB situation is more frustrating this year. Owning Ridley on this NE team or owning Lamar Miller on the Dolphins.
Definitely owning Ridley, at least the Dolphins are being consistent in Miller's usage. Ridley is just all over the friggin place and for NO actual reasoning. He was one of the best backs in the league last season. This year he loses 1 fumble and is more or less benched for 5 games. That said, Blount lost a fumble last week and saw a significant drop in playing time this week. Ridley went off this week. And Bolden pulled up. So maybe Ridley gets another shot at the lions share from here on out.

What us Ridley owners have been waiting for has finally happened, hopefully not too late. At 2-4 it could be but we'll see. Very encouraging day on various levels for Ridley. #1- is the eye test, looked great, explosive, running tough. #2- delivering touchdowns, #3- ball security.

It's no secret that the Pats need Ridley to be the guy, not Bolden, not Blount. Bellichick knows this and will certainly play his cards for the long term, for 16+ games. As this season progresses Ridley is going to have huge days. Even with Vereen back, Ridley will have huge days. He is a solid #2 RB going forward. Ridley will be over 1000 by the end of the season, 10-12 touchdowns. Hopefully a bit more involved in the passing game.

Breathe a sigh of relief!!!

What us Ridley owners have been waiting for has finally happened, hopefully not too late. At 2-4 it could be but we'll see. Very encouraging day on various levels for Ridley. #1- is the eye test, looked great, explosive, running tough. #2- delivering touchdowns, #3- ball security.

It's no secret that the Pats need Ridley to be the guy, not Bolden, not Blount. Bellichick knows this and will certainly play his cards for the long term, for 16+ games. As this season progresses Ridley is going to have huge days. Even with Vereen back, Ridley will have huge days. He is a solid #2 RB going forward. Ridley will be over 1000 by the end of the season, 10-12 touchdowns. Hopefully a bit more involved in the passing game.

That is a bold prediction after 1 solid game where the Pats still used a RB carousel more than what I would like to see.

What if he has a big fumble next week?

Agreed, it is and I'm certainly on a high after the win and the Ortiz bomb, win, but I thought it was also a drastic turnaround from where we've been the last few weeks. Drastic. I'm thinking this win could be pivotal to the team as a whole from top to bottom and Ridley was a big part. Very optimistic. Ridley easily looked a whole class above Blount and Bolden. They will be in the mix here and there but I see Ridley getting the lion share and most TD's.

A big fumble could be a game changer, no doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

That is a bold prediction after 1 solid game where the Pats still used a RB carousel more than what I would like to see.
Ridley was never going to be a "bell cow do it all" guy. The Patriots were always going to be mixing in other RBs. If he's approaching 20 touches like he did yesterday the people who drafted him or acquired him should be optimistic regarding his prospects. His high going into yesterday was 16 with back to back games of less than 15.

Granted, I was a little nervous when Blount came out for the first drive followed by Bolden on the second. It sure looked like Ridley was the most talented RB the Patriots have once he entered the game though.

I believe he has great value the rest of the season. Here is my argument to those in the 'chasing points' camp....that argument works when you have a carousel of players that produce each week, and you have to guess as to when their particular week will be. This doesn't seem to apply to Ridley...what I mean by that is no other running back in NE is putting up fantasy numbers - nor is any other running back performing to a level to make you think they will continue to get looks. Blount has had his chance and he couldn't do much with it. Bolden has shown flashes, but has never been able to put up consistent numbers. Vereen is out for the time being....I think Ridley is firmly a RB2 moving forward.

Just Traded Ridley And Romo For RodgersD.moore.
You sold way cheap, dude.

Why is Rodgers an upgrade? They have a balanced offense now. He doesn't have 2011 ceiling with Lacy in the fold, and/or WRs hurt. Rodgers is no longer an elite fantasy option. He's a solid QB1 but he's not going to put up Brees-type numbers when they have a solid running game.

With Murray hurt (and even without Murray hurt) I'd be surprised if Romo doesn't score as many points as Rodgers. for the rest of the year. You basically just traded Ridley for D. Moore. Ouch, dude.

Why is Rodgers an upgrade? They have a balanced offense now. He doesn't have 2011 ceiling with Lacy in the fold, and/or WRs hurt. Rodgers is no longer an elite fantasy option. He's a solid QB1 but he's not going to put up Brees-type numbers when they have a solid running game.

With Murray hurt (and even without Murray hurt) I'd be surprised if Romo doesn't score as many points as Rodgers. for the rest of the year. You basically just traded Ridley for D. Moore. Ouch, dude.
I agree.....you were better before.

I haven't pulled the trigger officially. We just talked and kind of verbally agreed to it. I can see the Rodgers/Romo debate. i am unsure of what I want to do here. I need a RB2 yet so I should probably demand more. Is Ridley back for real? He did look good yesterday..

Only concern with Ridley is Vereen coming back for playoff stretch and cutting into production.

I haven't pulled the trigger officially. We just talked and kind of verbally agreed to it. I can see the Rodgers/Romo debate. i am unsure of what I want to do here. I need a RB2 yet so I should probably demand more. Is Ridley back for real? He did look good yesterday..
so you say you made the trade to the readers of the shark pool, then admit you kind of verbally agreed to it, would you dare flip flop and say no deal? Wouldn't want to make a future deal with you if that's the case

great point. Ridley's value is based on NE being able to move the ball - the split in workload was the same as in CIN - difference was that Brady did nothing in that contest, so Ridley had no TD chances. Yes it rained in CIN, but has been a similar situation all season - Ridley's FF numbers are partly a function of the NE passing game. That's a main reason why his 2013 numbers are off of the 2012 pace.

great point. Ridley's value is based on NE being able to move the ball - the split in workload was the same as in CIN - difference was that Brady did nothing in that contest, so Ridley had no TD chances. Yes it rained in CIN, but has been a similar situation all season - Ridley's FF numbers are partly a function of the NE passing game. That's a main reason why his 2013 numbers are off of the 2012 pace.
Sorry but Ridley was OUT in the Cincy game.... but true, as the passing game improves it should loosen up. Hopefully Amendola isn't too bad, Gronk returns, maybe a trade too.

Sorry but Ridley was OUT in the Cincy game.... but true, as the passing game improves it should loosen up. Hopefully Amendola isn't too bad, Gronk returns, maybe a trade too.
my bad - fail . . . I meant to say the running game showed no production in Cincinnati . . .

I have both Bolden and Ridley rostered, so I was confused for the moment.

Looks like his YPC is back. Pats just need to get a little better in the passing game in order to run the ball more in the 4th. I think Ridley is going to be the ultimate buy low for the rest of the season. A healthy Gronk and Dola are going to open up some major lanes for him.

Looks like his YPC is back. Pats just need to get a little better in the passing game in order to run the ball more in the 4th. I think Ridley is going to be the ultimate buy low for the rest of the season. A healthy Gronk and Dola are going to open up some major lanes for him.
I tend to agree with this line of thinking. My only concern is the role Vereen plays when he returns.

The timing of those guys coming back certainly helps. Unfortunately its going to be short lived as the better option in Vereen comes back in 3 weeks after their bye. You never know whats going to happen with BB, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't step back into a big role on this offense.

The timing of those guys coming back certainly helps. Unfortunately its going to be short lived as the better option in Vereen comes back in 3 weeks after their bye. You never know whats going to happen with BB, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't step back into a big role on this offense.
This seems to be the conventional thinking but really only based on two data points. Last year's HOU playoff game and week one this year.

We all know about the Ridley fumblitis that led to his benching in Q2 of week one and a bigger role for Vereen. Prior to that Ridley was headed for a 100-yd game.

In the HOU game where Vereen went off Ridley still went 15/82/1 rushing and 1/13 receiving. I'll take that all day long from my RB2.

Ridley's obstacles to performing at his historical level only have to do with Ridley himself, not Vereen.

I see the problem now. The OP spelled his name as if he's an interior decorator, instead of a football player.

It was doomed to go downhill from there.

wow this is so frustrating.

Blount is in there when they open the two biggest holes of the day, for 30 yards on two rushes.

Why doesn't NE trade him for A reciever? It's clear Belicheck has lost the ability to evaluate talent AKA Welker

Vereen has been sitting on my WW for a few weeks now and I'm a Ridley owner. Anyone have any ideas for who gets the most carries once he's back? Ridley is barely even getting the most carries now as it is. Should I sit tight with Ridley and if Vereen becomes the number 1 deal with a useless Ridley or vice versa. Unless someone thinks anyone on my roster(in sig) is worth dropping for him, will be dropping Watson for a different TE because I have to have one week 10. And Randle may turn into Andre Johnson in a couple days.

Vereen has been sitting on my WW for a few weeks now and I'm a Ridley owner. Anyone have any ideas for who gets the most carries once he's back? Ridley is barely even getting the most carries now as it is. Should I sit tight with Ridley and if Vereen becomes the number 1 deal with a useless Ridley or vice versa. Unless someone thinks anyone on my roster(in sig) is worth dropping for him, will be dropping Watson for a different TE because I have to have one week 10. And Randle may turn into Andre Johnson in a couple days.
Based on his running alone---Ridley should be getting the majority of the running plays while Vereen is out. I watched the game yesterday--and in my opinion Ridley was a giant spark for the Patriots. They looked sleepy until he came in during the second quarter and ripped some nice runs. He's clearly better than Bolden and Blount---and I'd have to think that Bellichek sees this--but I sometimes think he coaches in a crazy fashion. With that being said--- and looking at your roster signature--I would much rather have Vereen than Crabtree as a stash. You have insane depth at WR--and finding a weekly wr play on the waiver wire is much easier than finding a legit rb play--so thats what I would do

Belichek likely believes Ridley's success is directly related to how he's used. I can't say he's wrong.
I disagree. Belichek is a great coach--but this does not mean that he's incapable of being wrong or making mistakes. If I remember right, he put Gronk in on a meaningless special teams play that caused him to get injured. When they lost to the Jets--he basically didn't play Ridley for the first 1.5 quarters--and when he came in--he made a huge difference. He basically didn't use one of his teams best weapons for almost half a game--and ended up losing a close game in OT. I'm sorry--but I guarantee you that if Ridley had played in the first 1.5 quarters of that game--it would have at least made a one point difference in regulation. I'm a New England fan--but the notion that BB is doing some magic coaching job this season is completely false. Look at the teams New England has beaten: Buffalo, New York (geno's 2nd game ever as an nfl qb--and new england barely won), Tampa Bay, Atlanta (no julio jones, sjax, weatherspoon), New Orleans (with basically no Jimmy Graham), and Miami. They also lost to the Bengals, and to the Jets (the second time they played). In reality-- the only real solid (complete and healthy)teams that have played so far are the bengals and the Saints--and they are only 1-1 in those games. It's awesome that New england has the record they have right now--but let's face it--with that schedule--a lesser record with be fairly pathetic. I certainly think it's very possible that he's mis-managing Ridley.

For those concerned about Vereen coming back, I wouldn't be. Remember that Brandon Bolden has taken over Vereen's role, that's whose playing time will be most impacted by his return. It's the use of Blount that's lowering Ridley's numbers as compared to what he did last year. Although I understand why it makes NFL sense to split the time and try and keep both fresh and healthy all year, for fantasy I just wish they'd stop using the inferior Blount so much, maybe just let him have five carries a game and add five more to Ridley.

Belichek likely believes Ridley's success is directly related to how he's used. I can't say he's wrong.
I disagree. Belichek is a great coach--but this does not mean that he's incapable of being wrong or making mistakes. If I remember right, he put Gronk in on a meaningless special teams play that caused him to get injured. When they lost to the Jets--he basically didn't play Ridley for the first 1.5 quarters--and when he came in--he made a huge difference. He basically didn't use one of his teams best weapons for almost half a game--and ended up losing a close game in OT. I'm sorry--but I guarantee you that if Ridley had played in the first 1.5 quarters of that game--it would have at least made a one point difference in regulation. I'm a New England fan--but the notion that BB is doing some magic coaching job this season is completely false. Look at the teams New England has beaten: Buffalo, New York (geno's 2nd game ever as an nfl qb--and new england barely won), Tampa Bay, Atlanta (no julio jones, sjax, weatherspoon), New Orleans (with basically no Jimmy Graham), and Miami. They also lost to the Bengals, and to the Jets (the second time they played). In reality-- the only real solid (complete and healthy)teams that have played so far are the bengals and the Saints--and they are only 1-1 in those games. It's awesome that New england has the record they have right now--but let's face it--with that schedule--a lesser record with be fairly pathetic. I certainly think it's very possible that he's mis-managing Ridley.
It's just speculation on my part. We all see Ridley come in to rip off a few nice runs only to leave the game again. Well, maybe Belicheck thinks he's ripping off those runs because his touches are limited? The more work he gets the less effective he is.

His high carry total was 20 against New Orleans, and he definitely looked winded to me at points in that game. The point is I don't really see it changing for the better as far as Ridley is concerned.

I will say it's a bit odd to see how little he's been used early in the games. Blount starting, rotating series with Bolden, etc.

Watson and Crabtree are no brainers, in terms of who to drop for Vereen. I would even consider Randle as well.

I don't see things changing in NE. BB likes to keep other teams guessing, who's on first Blount, Ridley, Vereen, or Bolden. I think all four get touches going forward, the pie will be a little smaller for everyone once Vereen comes back. Reminds me of the old Denver shell game at RB.

For those concerned about Vereen coming back, I wouldn't be. Remember that Brandon Bolden has taken over Vereen's role, that's whose playing time will be most impacted by his return. It's the use of Blount that's lowering Ridley's numbers as compared to what he did last year. Although I understand why it makes NFL sense to split the time and try and keep both fresh and healthy all year, for fantasy I just wish they'd stop using the inferior Blount so much, maybe just let him have five carries a game and add five more to Ridley.
A healthy Vereen is going to cut into everyone's numbers. He is crazy talented.

And I can't wait until week 11. :popcorn:

It's just speculation on my part. We all see Ridley come in to rip off a few nice runs only to leave the game again. Well, maybe Belicheck thinks he's ripping off those runs because his touches are limited? The more work he gets the less effective he is.

His high carry total was 20 against New Orleans, and he definitely looked winded to me at points in that game. The point is I don't really see it changing for the better as far as Ridley is concerned.

I will say it's a bit odd to see how little he's been used early in the games. Blount starting, rotating series with Bolden, etc.
Except that last year Ridley was given a lot more carries and produced very well for the team. This year he's still running well and they've dramatically scaled back his workload. With 290 carries last year he averaged 4.4 yards a carry. This year he's on pace for only 210 carries and is averaging 4.3 yards a carry.

The biggest Belichick problem to me/us as a fantasy owner is that Ridley proved last year he could move the chains as a two down back and is a more effective runner than Blount, but they're still splitting time almost evenly. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I totally see why you would want to do this as an NFL coach, but it's a pain in the ### for fantasy production, which is certainly what our focus is here.

Users who are viewing this thread