What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Still in a Waiver Order League - when to pull the trigger? (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother

Footballguy
I've tried for years to get FAAB in our league but to no avail so we are still stuck with Waiver Order.

I held the last draft position so I was given the #1 slot on the WW list. I have found in the past that being #1 can hamstring you into waiting around forever for the "BIG" FA to become known. So what is the consensus here at FBGs? Use it for the first guy you think can add value to your team or hold it for a few weeks to see what unfolds?

For instance, right now Curtis Samuel is available on the WW and while he wouldn't be my WR3 I would make a WW claim to pick him up if I was not in the top 3 waiver order.

Mistake or right move?

I've tried for years to get FAAB in our league but to no avail so we are still stuck with Waiver Order.

I held the last draft position so I was given the #1 slot on the WW list. I have found in the past that being #1 can hamstring you into waiting around forever for the "BIG" FA to become known. So what is the consensus here at FBGs? Use it for the first guy you think can add value to your team or hold it for a few weeks to see what unfolds?

For instance, right now Curtis Samuel is available on the WW and while he wouldn't be my WR3 I would make a WW claim to pick him up if I was not in the top 3 waiver order.

Mistake or right move?
Does Curtis Samuel have immediate value to your team? Do you think Samuel would have #3WR value to the rest of the league? How much does your league trade?

My point is....it depends on your team makeup and the league dynamics. I would like to use it for a player that will immediately help my team.

BTW, I am in the same spot as you and I am struggling to use it on anyone here.

Mistake or right move?
Does Curtis Samuel have immediate value to your team? Do you think Samuel would have #3WR value to the rest of the league? How much does your league trade?

My point is....it depends on your team makeup and the league dynamics. I would like to use it for a player that will immediately help my team.

BTW, I am in the same spot as you and I am struggling to use it on anyone here.
All good points. I don't think that he would add immediate value to my team and trading in my league is difficult although not unheard of (probably 4-5 trades all season). Samuel was just an example though, I was just trying get a feel on how others approach it.

I play in a fairly "vanilla" 12 team redraft and I consider Samuel the best "prize" in that league this week. I am 4th and putting in a claim. I don't think I would if I was first. One thing about using it now is that you will very likely get back to 1st before the season is over.

The ultimate prize is that practice squad / bench RB that turns an injury into a top 12 season. Does he exist? Is he already rostered?

Same spot here. I have the second pick (drafted @11), and plan to put in claims for Henderson and Robinson. I'll need to decide between dropping Olave and Toney to make room (which I don't love). It's a short bench league, but I'm hopeful that I can flip one of those RBs to another team for a WR.

Totally agree that it hamstrings you, but you also sacrifice the value of having someone on your roster for a longer period of time rather than waiting.

The other thing I've thought about regarding this:
  • At RB, exactly who would be the most valuable pick-up over the course of the year? Many handcuffs are already owned, and the ones that are not will typically yield RB2/3 performance at best. Is that actually worth the wait? Using last year as a guide:
    • Cordarelle was the most profitable in the wake of an underperforming Mike Davis. I don't see a similar situation as this (mediocre RB, with a "who else is there" narrative - Texans maybe?)
    • Chuba Hubbard probably the least. You can/should pick up guys like Hilliard, Evans, Warren, Gainwell/Scott, Eno, etc. but can do so without wasting a waiver pick
  • At WR, how many times do we see the #2 WR on a team completely replace the production of the #1 going down? it's rare. My tendency would be to look at a rookie, if not already owned (Olave, Dotson, Phillips, etc.), but is that worth burning a priority pick?
The only outlier I see this week to the above scenarios is Samuel, who had touches manufactured for him, but lots of target competition - and they played the jags.

Bump, as this is a good convo...maybe just too few waiver priority leagues nowadays.

I think part of it is knowing how the other players in the league handle waivers. One league I played in was very aggressive with waivers. If I used my #1, I'd rise back to the top of the waiver order in 2-3 weeks (at most). So I'll be looser in using it. Another league didn't make that many claims, so I tended to hold on to a good waiver number until I felt it was for a player who I'd immediately want/need to start.

I am number 1 and I don't think I am using it this week. Only Samuel or Gage is available, Wilson and back up Pitt RB already rostered.

Mistake or right move?
Hey GB

We also run the WW in order, it's been that way and I don't see it changing any time soon.
In our format, worst to first regardless of Draft position so who ever loses the first week and scores the least picks 1st...I'm picking last despite a major injury to my RB2(Mitchell), high score 1st Week, kiss of death, I never like leading the field thru the first 1/4 pole.

I tend to let everyone grab who they want and then go back and find guys they release or cut after Week 1. One year Joey Galloway tossed up a zero his 1st game out, maybe when he was a Buccaneer in about 2006, bagel the first week and someone flat cut him and so I picked up their trash. 62/1050/7Tds rest of the way, not too bad.

Last edited:
In my league, Week 1 is by draft position and going forward if you use your claim you drop to the bottom of the list. I used to use my claim whenever I wanted someone and ignore priority, now I only use it if it's someone I really want (and/or expect others to put in a claim for). Wilson is the clear top get, but I don't think he has a ton of upside. So I'm probably going to hold off.

In my league, Week 1 is by draft position and going forward if you use your claim you drop to the bottom of the list. I used to use my claim whenever I wanted someone and ignore priority, now I only use it if it's someone I really want (and/or expect others to put in a claim for). Wilson is the clear top get, but I don't think he has a ton of upside. So I'm probably going to hold off.
This is how our league works. I held off as I drafted Wilson and while I would have liked to take Samuel I just didn't think it was worth losing the #1 spot

This is how our league works. I held off as I drafted Wilson and while I would have liked to take Samuel I just didn't think it was worth losing the #1 spot
As mentioned above, it depends how your waivers work. If you drop to the end after selecting, I would hold off on taking Samuel. I would guess there will be a better option after week 2.

As an aside, keep up the faith on getting FAAB in your league. I am commissioner in a league of 50+ year old fuddy duddies that have been doing this league for nearly 30 years, and we managed to pass FAAB for this year.

I am in a waiver wire league. WW order is initially same as the draft order. Last year's champ is last priority, which is where I am (brag moment). But this changes pretty quickly as people make moves. Owners drop to the end after claiming a player. Anyway, I do not tend to worry about holding onto a particular position. If I need a guy, I try to get him. If I see a chance to improve my roster, I make the move. I don't want to wait around for ifs and buts. Will I miss out on a big move somewhere with this strategy...probably. But I also don't want to sit around holding out for something special only to end up wasting a top spot when I need a bye week replacement for my TE either. I make moves if I think my team benefits and I do not concern myself with holding on to a particular place in line.

I'll add that we pay real money into the prize pool for every roster move made, so that deters some people from making too many frivolous moves.

I'll add that we pay real money into the prize pool for every roster move made, so that deters some people from making too many frivolous moves.

we do the same, and it's one of the reasons I love the league. $20 moves, $25 trades (unlimited players per trade). season high point gets half the move pot, single week high point gets the other half. Since that's combined with short benches, each half is worth $1K+. keeps people interested if their team stinks, and rewards the team that is super stacked but maybe still gets knocked out of the playoffs on a bad game.

I am in a waiver wire league. WW order is initially same as the draft order. Last year's champ is last priority, which is where I am (brag moment). But this changes pretty quickly as people make moves. Owners drop to the end after claiming a player. Anyway, I do not tend to worry about holding onto a particular position. If I need a guy, I try to get him. If I see a chance to improve my roster, I make the move. I don't want to wait around for ifs and buts. Will I miss out on a big move somewhere with this strategy...probably. But I also don't want to sit around holding out for something special only to end up wasting a top spot when I need a bye week replacement for my TE either. I make moves if I think my team benefits and I do not concern myself with holding on to a particular place in line.

Late to the party but thought I would throw a story here. I sat on the top of the WW one year and just couldnt find a player II felt worthy of the #1 pick. I ended up taking a backup rb who wasnt even guaranteed a start because the playoffs had started. Was an awful move just staying on the top. Never did it again either. After that I mostly sat near the bottom picking up decent wrs and marginal rbs...and defenses and kickers while nobody else wanted to waste a WW pick on kickers and defense.

Users who are viewing this thread