What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stolen AirPods Popped Up Today--What's the Play? (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
My 16yo son had a party ~3 weeks and about 30 kids from his school showed up.  The kids were in the basement and 3 sets of parents were in the kitchen.  The next day, I couldn't find my AirPods--my son confirmed my recollection that he saw them in the kitchen the night before.  I was fearful that one of the kids had taken them and later in the week, my son found one AirPod in a planter by our front door--very strange.  Nothing else until this morning when I received an alert that they were spotted near the school this morning and when I updated the location, they were in the school.  So odds are that one of the kids took them--what's the play?

I can update the location later tonight and hopefully find the address.  On one hand, I'm pissed off that a guest in our house would do something like this.  It's a small school and for the most part, we've known many of these kids since JK.  On the other  hand, it's a set of AirPods and not worth making a capital case.  However, if we are able to discern the identity of the thief, what's the play taking the above into account?

My 16yo son had a party ~3 weeks and about 30 kids from his school showed up.  The kids were in the basement and 3 sets of parents were in the kitchen.  The next day, I couldn't find my AirPods--my son confirmed my recollection that he saw them in the kitchen the night before.  I was fearful that one of the kids had taken them and later in the week, my son found one AirPod in a planter by our front door--very strange.  Nothing else until this morning when I received an alert that they were spotted near the school this morning and when I updated the location, they were in the school.  So odds are that one of the kids took them--what's the play?

I can update the location later tonight and hopefully find the address.  On one hand, I'm pissed off that a guest in our house would do something like this.  It's a small school and for the most part, we've known many of these kids since JK.  On the other  hand, it's a set of AirPods and not worth making a capital case.  However, if we are able to discern the identity of the thief, what's the play taking the above into account?
ask for them back?

First, make sure your son didn't "find" them at school or this morning, forgot to tell you and just turned them on at the school. Teenagers. 
Good call.

If it isn’t him, track it to a house and then get the phone number of that kid’s parents and give them a call to tell them that you are missing your AirPods and that the tracking indicates they are at their house. You’ll inevitably get them back and you can leave it up to the parents in whether they choose to punish their kid or believe his inevitable lie that he mistakenly grabbed them thinking that they were his.

Call the parents of the kid who took them if they don't show up at your house.

Weird a kid wouldn't know these are tracked.

If these are the cheapo regular airpods, just buy a new set. They're kinda trash anyway. 

If they're the sweet Airpods Pro with Noise Cancelling they're worth tracking them down, then sacrificing the perp on a burning upside down cross as a tribute to our Lord and Savior Steve Jobs 

If it were me, I'd probably just forget about it.  
I'd have this opinion on a lot of things but someone coming into your house and stealing stuff? If I had the chance to call them out on it and/or teach a lesson, I'd be hard pressed not to be a get-off-my-lawn old man about it. But then a lot of the geico "don't become your parents" commercials hit pretty close to home. 

My wife always gives me crap because whenever something goes missing my first response is somebody stole it! To be fair I grew up in a pretty crappy environment.

So with that said, how do you know they intentionally stole them? Maybe they thought they were theirs? I’m just trying to play devils advocate here.

My wife always gives me crap because whenever something goes missing my first response is somebody stole it! To be fair I grew up in a pretty crappy environment.

So with that said, how do you know they intentionally stole them? Maybe they thought they were theirs? I’m just trying to play devils advocate here.

Like almost anything in life, I cannot definitively say they were stolen however, the evidence points to that.  With that in mind, I like the idea of tracking them to a house, contacting the parents and saying, "My AirPods went missing after my son's latest party.  They were tracked to your house--could you collect them and get them back to me?"  No accusation or threat.

Like almost anything in life, I cannot definitively say they were stolen however, the evidence points to that.  With that in mind, I like the idea of tracking them to a house, contacting the parents and saying, "My AirPods went missing after my son's latest party.  They were tracked to your house--could you collect them and get them back to me?"  No accusation or threat.
That’s better than what I was going to suggest which was the show up at their house and knock on the door. Again crappy environment. 

:lmao:  

I don't get this part.  This was from a different pair?

I can't tell.  If I insert it in a different case to charge it, my understanding is that that AirPod will pair with that case.  

Maybe the thief lost one AirPod and stole mine.  Maybe they stole mine and got cold feet and put one of my AirPods in the planter. Maybe it's completely unrelated.  All in all, it's strange and there's no apparent explanation.  

I can't tell.  If I insert it in a different case to charge it, my understanding is that that AirPod will pair with that case.  

Maybe the thief lost one AirPod and stole mine.  Maybe they stole mine and got cold feet and put one of my AirPods in the planter. Maybe it's completely unrelated.  All in all, it's strange and there's no apparent explanation.  
I hope it's raccoons.   That would make for a classic thread.   

Kids parents: "Oh, that explains it. I checked the location on my kids airpods and they are currently at YOUR house, Chet. Bring ours and you'll get yours."

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess - One of the airpods got caught up in an article of clothing (hat, coat, underwear, etc) while the kids were wresting/dancing/####ing and the kid just unknowingly shoved it in his/her backpack afterwards.

WTF steals one crappy airpod?

“You see what happens Larry? You see what happens when you #### a stranger in the ###? You see what happens?”

Just make sure you’ve got the right house though. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Funny, I was recollecting the other day how I always reacted the same way growing up.  

Of course it seems like 30% of the time whatever I was missing was indeed stolen. 

Personally, I'd even go a step further in the "nice" direction and frame it to the parents as a mistake.  The parents will still have their own suspicions and will handle it the way they want, but they'll probably appreciate you assuming the best of their kid (or at least not the worst).  

Also, what's the deal with those things?  My kid says his college reddit is sometimes basically just one big airpods lost and found.

We figured it out but let me apologize in advance for the wild goose chase.  I have 4 sets of AirPods and #3 popped up on my screen today.  Turns out that #3 are my wife's and my son took them to school today.   :bag:  

Users who are viewing this thread