What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Super flex! The most fun I've ever had! (1 Viewer)

Kwai Chang Caine

Footballguy
I don't know how many of guys play in these but I'm doing my first one ever and hands down, I've never been more entertained by a draft in the 26 years I've been playing fantasy! 12 QBs come off the board in the first 4 rounds of a 12 team league. By that point, 3 teams had 2 each and a few had none. The guy with pick 1 overall took Bell and then three QBs in a row which has caused absolute pandemonium LOL. I call this the "suicide bomber" strategy. Maybe it works out but I can't see blowing you're 4th round pick on a bench player but he's absolutely helped screw maybe a few of these owners that still don't have one QB.

I have no idea how it'll work out but like I said, I've never been in a more entertaining draft.

I don't know how many of guys play in these but I'm doing my first one ever and hands down, I've never been more entertained by a draft in the 26 years I've been playing fantasy! 12 QBs come off the board in the first 4 rounds of a 12 team league. By that point, 3 teams had 2 each and a few had none. The guy with pick 1 overall took Bell and then three QBs in a row which has caused absolute pandemonium LOL. I call this the "suicide bomber" strategy. Maybe it works out but I can't see blowing you're 4th round pick on a bench player but he's absolutely helped screw maybe a few of these owners that still don't have one QB.

I have no idea how it'll work out but like I said, I've never been in a more entertaining draft.
It’s superflex, so taking a second qb isn’t a bench player, it’s a starter, and typically you want a qb there because they are more consistent scorers. Those guys will be the good teams, watch. 

Also, if you don’t have a qb you best be getting to it. I would wager that one or two of those guys will take a 3rd before too long. 

It’s superflex, so taking a second qb isn’t a bench player, it’s a starter, and typically you want a qb there because they are more consistent scorers. Those guys will be the good teams, watch. 
No, the guy I mentioned took his THIRD QB with his 4th pick. So that guy is a bench player. You can use only one QB in one of the two flex spots. So that guy is on his bench. I should've clarified that. 

And yeah man, just crunching some simple numbers, the 20th QB will still outperform all but the likes of Gurley and Antonio. 

I do one or two each year to mix it up. 

17 QB off the board before it got back to me at 4.12. I started Gurley, Keenan, and Thomas.  Looks like a grat start, but then i look at the guy who started Rodgers, Wentz, McCaffrey, Mixon and I know my team has no chance. 

Should have at least grabbed my 1st QB at the 2-3 turn.  Tougher to draft from the ends in this type of league.  

And yeah man, just crunching some simple numbers, the 20th QB will still outperform all but the likes of Gurley and Antonio. 
My only league is a super-flex that has been around for 20+ years (my first two draft picks ever were John Elway and Jeff George, who promptly melted down and got benched after three games in Atlanta).

We have tweaked our scoring system over the years to prevent things like the 20th QB outscoring the top RBs & WRs but ultimately it's about how much the 1st QB outscores the 20th QB relative to the first RB/WR outscoring the 20th RB/WR.

Have fun, these leagues are a blast.

ultimately it's about how much the 1st QB outscores the 20th QB relative to the first RB/WR outscoring the 20th RB/WR.
Ehh.. in a 2 QB league I think that's right, but in superflex you really are comparing raw points across positions.  If my weekly flex decision is "should I start the 3rd best RB in the NFL, or the 20th best QB" and, by virtue of the scoring system, the 20th best QB typically outscores the 3rd best RB, I'm starting the QB at flex.

No, the guy I mentioned took his THIRD QB with his 4th pick. So that guy is a bench player. You can use only one QB in one of the two flex spots. So that guy is on his bench. I should've clarified that. 

If QB20 is outscoring RB2 and WR2, the guy taking a 3rd QB in the 4th round is the smartest one in the room - personally I'd have done the exact same thing.

I'm guessing you're using QB-friendly scoring - most likely 6-pt pass TDs - and that's fine, but using that and a snake draft in a 2QB/superflex gives a massive advantage to the guys lucky enough to be drafting out of the 1-2-3 slots. (In typical "QB-heavy scoring" - 6-pt pass TDs with one point per 20 pass yards - the difference between QB1 and QB10 last year was 130 points, over 8ppg. That's an enormous hole being dug for the guys at the bottom of the draft order.)

Superflex is my favorite format, but it works best when you either back off QB scoring a bit or move to an auction draft.

It could be just for matchups and/or bye weeks  Wouldn't shock me to see the guy trading his 4th pick with someone else's 3rd pick combined with their "backup QB"  It just may take a few weeks of scoring and taking a look at projected trade values

(fwiw) It kinda scares me some to think what he could get for his 2nd QB if he really likes this THIRD QB

IF you start two RB's plus run a RB at flex that makes for three troublesome bye weeks not counting poor matchups  Hopefully, you spent some time considering both byes and SOS because it can be quite an unforgiving learning curve  For instance, you may look at some potential trade as helping a guy w/ a small bye issue when in fact he's hoping to write that week off while looking at just the opposite type trade  (I know your laughing at me now)

I'm in one now, only have 9 QBs taken with one pick left in the 3rd. Four teams out of twelve haven't taken one yet. I'm thinking three of my first six picks are going to be QBs which will leave me strapped at TE most likely but there's some good value picks mid rounds. This is a best ball league so no trades.

If QB20 is outscoring RB2 and WR2, the guy taking a 3rd QB in the 4th round is the smartest one in the room - personally I'd have done the exact same thing.

I'm guessing you're using QB-friendly scoring - most likely 6-pt pass TDs - and that's fine, but using that and a snake draft in a 2QB/superflex gives a massive advantage to the guys lucky enough to be drafting out of the 1-2-3 slots. (In typical "QB-heavy scoring" - 6-pt pass TDs with one point per 20 pass yards - the difference between QB1 and QB10 last year was 130 points, over 8ppg. That's an enormous hole being dug for the guys at the bottom of the draft order.)

Superflex is my favorite format, but it works best when you either back off QB scoring a bit or move to an auction draft.
No it's 4 points for passing TDs. Also, it's an online no trade league. I think the guy with pick one screwed up. I got pick 9. I won't say who I took but I took QBs in rounds three and four and on paper, I'm thrilled!

It could be just for matchups and/or bye weeks  Wouldn't shock me to see the guy trading his 4th pick with someone else's 3rd pick combined with their "backup QB"  It just may take a few weeks of scoring and taking a look at projected trade values

(fwiw) It kinda scares me some to think what he could get for his 2nd QB if he really likes this THIRD QB

IF you start two RB's plus run a RB at flex that makes for three troublesome bye weeks not counting poor matchups  Hopefully, you spent some time considering both byes and SOS because it can be quite an unforgiving learning curve  For instance, you may look at some potential trade as helping a guy w/ a small bye issue when in fact he's hoping to write that week off while looking at just the opposite type trade  (I know your laughing at me now)
No trades. If there were then I could see taking three out of first four rounds, 

that third QB will start for him at least two weeks...also covers him if an injury to one of his top two....and maybe the biggest benefit, while that third QB may be on his bench, HE WILL NOT BE IN SOMEBODY ELSE'S LINEUP EVERY WEEK....some owners will not have the luxury of using a QB as their flex...so while the benefit may not "really show itself"...it is there....

that third QB will start for him at least two weeks...also covers him if an injury to one of his top two....and maybe the biggest benefit, while that third QB may be on his bench, HE WILL NOT BE IN SOMEBODY ELSE'S LINEUP EVERY WEEK....some owners will not have the luxury of using a QB as their flex...so while the benefit may not "really show itself"...it is there....
I plan on grabbing my third maybe round 6 if another 5 come off. I'm just not sure of passing up such firepower at the turn when he now waits 23 picks to come back to grabbing RBs and WRs...

He does have Bell though....

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't let a curveball throw your game off  Stick to your plan based on value (BPA?) For instance, there should be some money TE available in the 6th  Basically do not risk gifting such a great player  Them bottom of the barrel QB's have just as much chance at a pick than a TD   Any roster limits or WW limits  (Might find not all QB's even drafted)  A late pick like Jackson could pay off more than the elite Flacco

I run a different type of superflex.

Most lineup positions have a flex but not all.

QB, K, Def are the positions that do not flex.

There are 5 flex positions made like this.

RB/WR

RB/WR

WR/TE

WR/TE

WR/TE

Yes you can start 5 WR's if you want. 

These 5 flex positions are what's key to the league.

Each team can handle bye weeks. 

Each team can handle injuries and remain competitive.

I also force a small bench. Only 4 bench positions.

This forces waiver and trade acquisitions.

It's a grudge league so no money involved.

Every manager wants to win so no worries about collusion.

Anybody else do a Superflex Draft yet?  

What early round trends are you seeing? Are QBs going early or are the stud RBs (Gurley, L. Bell, Zeke, DJ) going before QBs?

Been in a super flex league for a while. Stud RBs are still more valuable than QBs due to rarity, but QBs go pretty fast since they are essentially 2 QB leagues. Basically it goes RB1 > QB1 = WR1 > QB2 = RB2 > WR2. Typically ~15 QB are gone before round 4.

Been in a super flex league for a while. Stud RBs are still more valuable than QBs due to rarity, but QBs go pretty fast since they are essentially 2 QB leagues. Basically it goes RB1 > QB1 = WR1 > QB2 = RB2 > WR2. Typically ~15 QB are gone before round 4.
I LOVE THIS! This is some great knowledge!!

Typically ~15 QB are gone before round 4.
Sounds about right.

Studs at RB and WR still go early.  Main difference in superflex leagues is that WR2 players go much later.....say 4th to 5th round.  You can get a RB3 in the 6th or 7th round.

In my superflex league, I like to have 2 QBs, 2RBs, and 2 WRs in the first 6 rounds.

Do your Superflex leagues play a  TE as it’s own position?
Mine does, but it does not really change much about TE compared to other leagues. A few good ones go near their normal ADP, the rest get bumped down to round 7+.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread