What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor II (1 Viewer)

David Dodds

Administrator
From SII Last Year (Top 5 Finishers):purplehazeGregRLHUCKSBostonFredAaron Rudnicki (staff)From SI Last Year (Top 2 Finishers)Chase Stuart (staff)Ken Maxwell (staff)From SIII (Blogger) Last Year (Top 2 Finishers)Psychology KevBlitzburgh MonkeypoxWildcards (2 people)East Bay FunkBass N BrewOwner (1 person)David Dodds (staff)Now onto the fun part.This will be a $200 cap Auction draft. Minimum bids are $1. We will run this draft via a really cool product from fantasyauctioneer.com (more on this later).Basic Rules (These will be laid out in more detail later).1. Draft will be 24 rounds long.2. No trades or waiver wire pickups will be in effect. 3. Best 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 flex (RB, WR or TE), 1 Def, 1 PK, 1 Head Coach will be scored each week.4. Player scoring will be 1 point for every 20 yards passing, 1 point for every 10 yards rushing/receiving, 4 points per passing TD, 6 pts per rushing/receiving TD. Interceptions = -1, Receptions = +1 point. No points for 2 point conversions.5. Kicker Scoring:1 point for every Extra Point3 points for every FG of 1 – 39 yards 4 points for every FG of 40 – 49 yards5 points for every FG of 50+ yards 6. Defensive Scoring:1 point for every sack2 points for every team takeaway (interception or fumble recovery)6 points for every TD (via interception return, fumble return, punt or kickoff return, blocked FG return, missed FG return, blocked punt return)2 points for every safety10 points for every shutout **5 points for allowing between 2 - 5 points **3 point for allowing between 6 – 10 points **** Any and all points scored against a team are considered points scored against the special teams and defense. Thus, as an example, a turnover by the offense that is returned for a TD is considered as points scored against the special teams and defense. 7. HC ScoringIf your head coach wins the game = 10 pointsIf your head coach loses the game = 0 points*** Note - You are drafting a HC as a player, not the HC of a team. If he is fired you do not score when his replacement wins a game.8. Draft Date - I would like to have this between July 29th - August 6th. It will be an onlive draft in one sitting. If we can't come to an agreement of a starting time, I will choose one and replace players as necessary The draft has to completed before August 6th to be of any value to me.9. Everyone must compete independent of all other teams. No team strategies are in place (like the QB squeeze, etc)10. Vote off periods will look like this:Weeks 1 and 2 combined - Lowest two teamsWeeks 3 and 4 combined - Lowest two teamsWeeks 5 and 6 - Lowest TeamWeeks 7 and 8 - Lowest TeamWeeks 9 and 10 - Lowest teamWeeks 11 and 12 - Lowest TeamThe final four will then compete in weeks 13 - 16 with the following rules:- Each team must use their three best weeks (out of 4 that are possible).11. Auction nomination order will be determined and be in a serpentine format.12. All 24 roster spots must be used, therefore your maximum bid can never be more than what it would take to get your last players at a $1.13. If you nominate a player and no one else bids on that player, you get that player.14. Writeups Due - Instead of player writeups (we have those covered on the site), I will just be looking for auction strategy into the five writeups below. I will send out more detailed info on all of this info here shortly. 1. Pre-draft strategy - What was your plan? How much cap were you hoping to spend, who are you targetting, etc. This will actually be due to Clayton Gray the morning of the draft (It will not be shared with anyone on staff). I want them turned in before because I expect certain players did not go as cheap as expected, etc. This should be interesting to our viewers to see how everyone adjusted to their plan.2. First 8 players purchased - Good deals, bad deals, How did this deviate from your plan. What is your new plan. How do you expect to shape your team the rest of the way, etc.3. Next 8 players4. Final 8 players5. Self assessment to your strengths / weaknesses and chance to win first prize.Prizes:- The top non-staff team will receive $500 (8 people)- Top staff team (other than me) will get $250 (3 people).- Each participant can received their choice of a free book, subscription , draftboard or shirt for participating and turning in their writeups.More details in a few days here. Feel free to ask questions in this post on clarifications needed.

:bag: Nice rule changes - auction, head coach, 24 rounds, etc.

A couple questions:

Do the top 5 stay on again next year?

Is there a Survivor I?
Is there any immunity?
Will we get to use the auctioneer software in advance?
If not, how does the software work (for example, Aaron nominates Travis Henry for $1. Bass and I both want to bid $2, but no more, because he's a scrub. Who gets it? Is it poker style? The fastest typer?)

Oh yes. A shot at member #1. :fishing: My favorite details(with the exception of the above)- 10 points for a coaching win - 24 Rounds :) ...that will seperate the men from the boys- "auction" ... that will further seperate the men from the boys- Flex position...still seperating- Elimination shedule will do a better job of truly weeding out the weaker teamsOutside of the 6th and 7th, I'm flexible in terms of dates.Time to become a :fishing: and start breaking down auction values!!Thanks for the opportunity Dave :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Question:1) Which website will we be using and will we have an opportunity to familiarize ourselves with its functionality and interface beforehand?
Sounds like fun.Talk about throwing a curve with the auction format.... I would like to bid $1 on Wayne Fontes. At least he won't have more losses than wins.

This is going to be SWEEET! I'm doing my first auctions drafts this year and look forward to picking apart LHUCKS and the rest of the MB crew as much as they picked apart SI this year; :bag:

How do you pick the members for these things? I'd like to be able participate... I think I'm as good as any of these guys when it comes to survivor leagues. LHUCKS can vouch for me on that. Maybe Dodds is too chicken to face some real competition. :bag:

Do the top 5 stay on again next year?

- Yes, the top 5 will come back.

Is there a Survivor I?

- The Message Board / Staff Survivor was Survivor I.

Is there any immunity?

- There is no immunity. I have decided against immunity because I have combined weeks. The best teams should be able to continue to stay alive.

Will we get to use the auctioneer software in advance?

- Yes, I believe you can experiment with it now via mocks. I am not certain it has been fully released yet, but will be soon (I will get the details). They are having an expert draft with it (I am involved) at the end of July so I know it will be available very soon. It costs money to use ($13 per league I think), but I will pay for that.

If not, how does the software work (for example, Aaron nominates Travis Henry for $1. Bass and I both want to bid $2, but no more, because he's a scrub. Who gets it? Is it poker style? The fastest typer?)

There is a button to add 1 so whoever hits that button the fastest. All 12 will be using the java software at the same time. A clock counts down and if no other bids that person gets the player. It tracks maximum bid, everyone's rosters , etc. It is a very nice piece of software.

You can go to fantasyauctioneer.com and mock on it now (against the computer).

Yes! Thanks for the wildcard selection, looking forward to this.Head Coach - Definate thumbs up. What about illness (aka Reeves) or mid-game ejection?

How do you pick the members for these things? I'd like to be able participate... I think I'm as good as any of these guys when it comes to survivor leagues. LHUCKS can vouch for me on that. Maybe Dodds is too chicken to face some real competition. :bag:
Still waiting for a response to my challenge. :gang:

Yes! Thanks for the wildcard selection, looking forward to this.Head Coach - Definate thumbs up. What about illness (aka Reeves) or mid-game ejection?
We will award points to a HC if he starts the game as the HC.

The top 5 from Survivor II got a pass in and I wanted to combine the winners from the other Survivor drafts from last year. This left but a few spots and I filled them.I am sure I have left off countless great people, but there are only 12 spots to hand out.

How do you pick the members for these things? I'd like to be able participate... I think I'm as good as any of these guys when it comes to survivor leagues. LHUCKS can vouch for me on that. Maybe Dodds is too chicken to face some real competition.  :bag:
The top 5 from Survivor II got a pass in and I wanted to combine the winners from the other Survivor drafts from last year. This left but a few spots and I filled them.I am sure I have left off countless great people, but there are only 12 spots to hand out.
That's understandable. Will there be a Survivor III again this year? If so.. How will the owners be selected?

Cool! Never auctioned before, so this should be interesting. Nice to face off against Maxwell again. Our teams are so far apart in No Mercy that I almost thought I'd never get another chance :goodposting:

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!Another Survivor draft featuring the one and only Psychology Kev. All of you will not be disappointed as I wipe the floor wit ya. I have never auctioned before either and since I never did win immunity last year I dont mind not having it this year. Also, I lost in the final two weeks last year and that means I will lose in the first two this year... ARGH!!Concerning the dates of July 29th - August 6th which are a Thursday to Friday, total of 8 days. The weekends suck for me as I start work at 4 pm (Deliver Pizza) so July 30th, 31st and August 1st will not work for me. Thursday July 29th would be perfect for me though as will Monday August 2nd, Tuesday August 2nd on or after 2 PM, Wednesday until 3 PM (this could change though if we agreed to have it this day... I would be willing to switch hours).Thursday August 5th would also be perfect for me. Hopefully we will be able to draft at one of these dates and times. Thanks for the invite.So the only days that will not be good for me, unless the draft starts early and finishes by 3 PM (this includes the weekends if done by 3 PM central time), would be the weekend and tuesday (unless the draft starts after 2 PM and Wednesday unless done by 3 PM... lets work this out.

Wow, I just noticed this. I look forward to it and will begin planning my strategy.

Auction and the Head Coach thing makes this much different than normal leagues. Should be interesting to say the least.I'm pretty much in for any night other than Mondays, and I can participate during the day on the weekends.

OK...I studied up and am ready to go. I'll give you guys one tip to level the playing field, you better be prepared to go big if you want Kyle Boller.

OK...I studied up and am ready to go. I'll give you guys one tip to level the playing field, you better be prepared to go big if you want Kyle Boller.
HES GOING TO BE HUGE THIS YEAR ALL RIGHT?!?

HES GOING TO BE HUGE THIS YEAR ALL RIGHT?!?
There's never a price limit when bidding on Kyle Boller!

How do you pick the members for these things? I'd like to be able participate... I think I'm as good as any of these guys when it comes to survivor leagues. LHUCKS can vouch for me on that. Maybe Dodds is too chicken to face some real competition.  :goodposting:
That's understandable. Will there be a Survivor III again this year? If so.. How will the owners be selected?
I've asked how to become a participant in these things. The answer was to just post in the shark pool more and maybe you'll get picked. Hope this helps.

How do you pick the members for these things? I'd like to be able participate... I think I'm as good as any of these guys when it comes to survivor leagues. LHUCKS can vouch for me on that. Maybe Dodds is too chicken to face some real competition.  :goodposting:
I've asked how to become a participant in these things. The answer was to just post in the shark pool more and maybe you'll get picked. Hope this helps.
I'd love to post more, but all of my league members come to this board. I don't want to give away too much information when the owners from my money leagues come here. I am on these boards as much as anyone though. I read almost every post in the Shark Pool and take part in the message board survivor leagues that Twilight runs.

I would like to see some of those not participating in the event post their pre-draft rankings...basically to start the trash talk. I know mine will go something like1 LHUCKS2-8 Everybody Else not Staff or an owner9-11 Staff12 Owner :boxing: :football: :boxing:

Auction and the Head Coach thing makes this much different than normal leagues. Should be interesting to say the least.I'm pretty much in for any night other than Mondays, and I can participate during the day on the weekends.
I agree...weekend nights are bad for me, but if they are our only option I'll go with it.

I agree...weekend nights are bad for me, but if they are our only option I'll go with it.
Sounds like someone is scared and prefabricating an excuse not to participate. :boxing: Someone call Farmer Ted, some of his poultry is loose again.

I would like to see some of those not participating in the event post their pre-draft rankings...basically to start the trash talk. I know mine will go something like1 LHUCKS <--- you misspelled bostonfred2-8 Everybody Else not Staff or an owner9-11 Staff12 Owner :boxing: :football: :boxing:
Why would someone take the time to do this when you won't even take the time to proofread your own posts for glaring typos?

I would like to see some of those not participating in the event post their pre-draft rankings...basically to start the trash talk. I know mine will go something like1 LHUCKS <--- you misspelled bostonfred2-8 Everybody Else not Staff or an owner9-11 Staff12 Owner :boxing: :football: :boxing:
Why would someone take the time to do this when you won't even take the time to proofread your own posts for glaring typos?
Don't worry Fred...you'll be able to overpay for Plaxico in this draft as well :D

Sounds like someone is scared and prefabricating an excuse not to participate. :boxing: Someone call Farmer Ted, some of his poultry is loose again.
Listen Maxwell...this isn't going to be the "amateur hour" draft that Survivor I was last year...there aren't any Nadratowski's in this group ;)

:goodposting:LHUCKs should stick to carrying the clipboard.

I would like to see some of those not participating in the event post their pre-draft rankings...basically to start the trash talk.  I know mine will go something like1          LHUCKS <--- you misspelled bostonfred2-8      Everybody Else not Staff or an owner9-11    Staff12        Owner :boxing:   :football:   :boxing:
Don't worry Fred...you'll be able to overpay for Plaxico in this draft as well :D
Yes, but I may not get him this year because you can't blow your third round pick on Gannon to make him drop to me.

I would like to see some of those not participating in the event post their pre-draft rankings...basically to start the trash talk.  I know mine will go something like1          LHUCKS <--- you misspelled bostonfred2-8       Everybody Else not Staff or an owner9-11     Staff12        Owner :boxing:   :football:   :boxing:
Yes, but I may not get him this year because you can't blow your third round pick on Gannon to make him drop to me.
I think we know the question on everyone's mind:Who will win the bidding war for Belichick? BostonFred or Maxwell?I think we're going to see the staff run away with yet another league. At some points, Dodds has to consider whether personal gloating rights is more important than crushing our most loyal fans.

So I blow my 3rd on Gannon, and my 5th on Onterrio and I still outsurvive you...be very afraid.

Maybe you'll get invited next year Chase. :P You can have my clipboard on this one, perhaps you'll notice the note on it that says "Vick in the 3rd is a horrible pick" :lol:

I would like to see some of those not participating in the event post their pre-draft rankings...basically to start the trash talk.  I know mine will go something like1          LHUCKS <--- you misspelled bostonfred2-8      Everybody Else not Staff or an owner9-11    Staff12        Owner :boxing:   :football:   :boxing:
So I blow my 3rd on Gannon, and my 5th on Onterrio and I still outsurvive you...be very afraid.
Outsurvive? What does "outsurvive" have to do with a league that has one winner? Do you want a cookie?
You won nothing last year LHUCKS. It's called survivor and you didn't. Both of our records would be 0-1 v. Haze.

Maybe you'll get invited next year Chase. :P You can have my clipboard on this one, perhaps you'll notice the note on it that says "Vick in the 3rd is a horrible pick" :lol:
:sleep:

Outsurvive? What does "outsurvive" have to do with a league that has one winner? Do you want a cookie?
You won nothing last year LHUCKS. It's called survivor and you didn't. Both of our records would be 0-1 v. Haze.
Webster's Collegiate DictionaryOutsurvive: To last longer than another in a survivor style fantasy football league.Sentence: LHUCKS oustsurvived BostonFred in the 2003 FBG Survivor II Challenge.

:sleep:
I just knew you'd blame the Vick pick on narcolepsy.

I would like to see some of those not participating in the event post their pre-draft rankings...basically to start the trash talk. 

I know mine will go something like

1          LHUCKS <--- you misspelled bostonfred

2-8       Everybody Else not Staff or an owner

9-11     Staff

12        Owner

:boxing:   :football:   :boxing:
You won nothing last year LHUCKS.  It's called survivor and you didn't.  Both of our records would be 0-1 v. Haze. 
Webster's Collegiate DictionaryOutsurvive: To last longer than another in a survivor style fantasy football league.

Sentence: LHUCKS oustsurvived BostonFred in the 2003 FBG Survivor II Challenge.
What you don't seem to get is that you lost.
lose    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (lz)

v. lost, (lôst, lst) los·ing, los·es

v. tr.

To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; mislay: He's always losing his car keys.

To be deprived of (something one has had): lost her art collection in the fire; lost her job.

To be left alone or desolate because of the death of: lost his wife.

To be unable to keep alive: a doctor who has lost very few patients.

To be unable to keep control or allegiance of: lost his temper at the meeting; is losing supporters by changing his mind.

To fail to win; fail in: lost the game; lost the court case.

To fail to use or take advantage of: Don't lose a chance to improve your position.

To fail to hear, see, or understand: We lost the plane in the fog. I lost her when she started speaking about thermodynamics.

To let (oneself) become unable to find the way.

To remove (oneself), as from everyday reality into a fantasy world.

To rid oneself of: lost five pounds.

To consume aimlessly; waste: lost a week in idle occupations.

To wander from or become ignorant of: lose one's way.

To elude or outdistance: lost their pursuers.

To be outdistanced by: chased the thieves but lost them.

To become slow by (a specified amount of time). Used of a timepiece.

To cause or result in the loss of: Failure to reply to the advertisement lost her the job.

To cause to be destroyed. Usually used in the passive: Both planes were lost in the crash.

To cause to be damned.

v. intr.

To suffer loss.

To be defeated.

To operate or run slow. Used of a timepiece.

Phrasal Verb:

lose out

To fail to achieve or receive an expected gain.

Idioms:

lose it Slang

To lose control; blow up.

To become deranged or mentally disturbed.

To become less capable or proficient; decline.

lose out on

To miss (an opportunity, for example).

lose time

To operate too slowly. Used of a timepiece.

To delay advancement.

I think we know the question on everyone's mind:Who will win the bidding war for Belichick? BostonFred or Maxwell?I think we're going to see the staff run away with yet another league. At some points, Dodds has to consider whether personal gloating rights is more important than crushing our most loyal fans.
Being a homer and playing fantasy football are separate and distinct for me.

Listen Maxwell...this isn't going to be the "amateur hour" draft that Survivor I was last year...there aren't any Nadratowski's in this group ;)
What was it that was said in Rounders?If you can't spot the Nadratowski at the draft in the first 5 minutes, then you are the Nadratowski.(No offense to Tom. Just using his analogy against him)

I think we're going to see the staff run away with yet another league. At some points, Dodds has to consider whether personal gloating rights is more important than crushing our most loyal fans.
The next time a staff member beats me will be the first time. Although, I suppose anything is possible. I could get food poisioning at lunch that afternoon; total my car on the way home and have to crawl to my PC on broken legs and shattered arms only to find that the power is out - leaving me no choice but to place my bids via smoke signal. Nah. Even then I'd still find a way to beat the staff :brush:

How is the draft going to work? Will teams bid on a proposed player until the bidding stops and the highest bidder gets the player? If that's the case then the "draft order" seems to be of little importance. Someone could theoretically be done with his entire draft after the first 24 picks.

How is the draft going to work? Will teams bid on a proposed player until the bidding stops and the highest bidder gets the player? If that's the case then the "draft order" seems to be of little importance. Someone could theoretically be done with his entire draft after the first 24 picks.
Correct. The draft order is relatively insignificant. There are certain strategies one can use...such as bringing up the New England D early to get rid of Maxwells cash, but for the most part when all drafters are experienced it doesn't really matter.

The next time a staff member beats me will be the first time.
Ditto...undefeated against the staff for me as well. In a format that attempts to truly find the best ff'er(auction/elimination schedule/24 deep) such as this, I see no reason why my 1.000 percentage against the staff will be changing.

The next time a staff member beats me will be the first time. 
Ditto...undefeated against the staff for me as well. In a format that attempts to truly find the best ff'er(auction/elimination schedule/24 deep) such as this, I see no reason why my 1.000 percentage against the staff will be changing.
Please try to understand this:You. Didn't. Win. Although, by your definition of being undefeated against the staff, I am too, so maybe I should just enjoy your lunacy.

"Draft order" is defined as the order of nomination. We are using a first-come, first-served bidding process, NOT a poker style auction where each person gets a chance to bid on a player in a predefined order, so make sure you're on a fast internet connection. We have not yet determined draft order (that I'm aware of) or the number of players that will be up for bid simultaneously.

8. Draft Date - I would like to have this between July 29th - August 6th. It will be an onlive draft in one sitting. If we can't come to an agreement of a starting time, I will choose one and replace players as necessary The draft has to completed before August 6th to be of any value to me.
Have we got a date set yet? I'd like to start planning ahead for it.

Users who are viewing this thread