What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 44 starts on page 5 (1 Viewer)

Cjw_55106

Footballguy
Cutthroat Island
In the past year, a "new era" of Survivor came about, bringing twists and turns on the formula that has kept the show afloat for over 20 years. And with two seasons in the rearview mirror, in season 43, a new group of castaways have begun on the 26-day adventure of a lifetime, hoping they'll be the next one to join the winner's circle.

When does Survivor season 43 start?​

Survivor 43 will premiere on Wednesday, Sept. 21. It will air a two-hour episode which, given the nature of the premieres for the previous two seasons, will feature two contestants voted out of the game.

The show will then follow up with a 90-minute episode the next week on Sept. 28. This will be the first time in the show's history that it will air an extended second episode.

When is the finale of Survivor 43?​

Survivor 43 has yet to announce a finale date. However, if we're assuming it runs the same schedule for seasons 41 and 42, it should happen at some point in December.

Related: Everything You Need to Know About Survivor 42

When did Survivor season 43 film?​

Filming for Survivor 43 is assumed to have begun in late April to early May. Like seasons 41 and 42, it's expected to have filmed for only 26 days, a marked departure from the 39 days in many seasons that came before.

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-43-cast-photos-bios/

Lets goooooooooooooooooooooo

So spoiled on TV right now. Survivor, Andor, HOTD, ROP, Marvel TV shows keep coming...what a time to be alive.

An ok first episode, although none of the survivors really grabbed me right off the bat. Early impressions:

• Sami is going to have issues, he thinks he already knows it all (as many of us did at 19). Tried to be cool with everyone but when placed under pressure, he cracked on Gabler going from patronizing at first (I know it's hard, keep going) to throwing him under the bus (You are fighting me on this puzzle; You've got to help me, etc). Not a good look
  • Gabler seems very earnest but is lacking socially. If someone says "Hey, I'll let you know if I hear your name" the auto response is "Hey, me too". He gave a long awkward silence and then a different type of answer. I think he was right showing the idol since they suspected it anyway, but his "I'm going Shot in the Dark" would make me feel like he's too much of a loose cannon.
  • Justine reminds me of Angelina Jolie
  • They spent a lot of time on Cody, the salesman who threw other sales people under the bus.
  • Geo didn't seem strong physically or socially
  • Lindsay the nurse who couldn't get the key off the branch in the first challenge seems like someone who would get on your nerves very quickly
  • Owen was fortunate to survive
  • My favorite player so far is Ryan, who was born premature and has cerebral palsy
  • Elie seems like a good player but I didn't like her intro of "As a psychologist I know how to make people do what I want them to do" or something like that
  • James was decent but is gonna need to fix his shorts situation

People who IMO have no shot to win after 1 episode:

Morriah for obvious reasons.
Dwight seems to have played the tribe dynamics badly. He gave off JD from S41 vibes in his preseason content and hasn't done anything to disabuse me of that notion.
Geo gives me Romeo from S42 vibes. If he makes it far, it'll be because he's just kind of there.
For the reasons Corporation said, Sami will be targeted as soon as tribe strength is no longer the main concern.
Gabler is just as nutty as I thought he would be. Brad from S41 on steroids. Seems like he'll be too erratic to be trusted in a long-term alliance.
I was already down on Justine because in this era, players target anyone who gives them OMG PARVATI 2.0 vibes, and I totally get those from her. The edit may be setting her up for a blindside by Cody that she won't see coming.

An ok first episode, although none of the survivors really grabbed me right off the bat. Early impressions:
  • They spent a lot of time on Cody, the salesman who threw other sales people under the bus.
  • Lindsay the nurse who couldn't get the key off the branch in the first challenge seems like someone who would get on your nerves very quickly
  • My favorite player so far is Ryan, who was born premature and has cerebral palsy

These are the ones who stood out to me. I'm Survivor-experienced enough not to believe in "The Winner Edit," but Cody got waaaaay too much time tonight not to be a factor overall. And he has a mullet. And...what is an "elevator salesman," by the way? Like, he just sees you have four stories and says, DAYUM there's a shaft right there and I can hook you up bro, or what? What a weird job.

As to the others, Lindsay is on my nerves already, so yeah.
Totally love Ryan. My top choice. Also loved Morriah (or the 82 other ways those people spelled it), but :kicksrock:

Rooting for Ryan and kind of like the cast so far. Nice to at least have some eye candy but that means Justine is gone soon. Gabler is a nut but Elie reigned him in very quickly which means he’ll last if she does. I think she sees an easy to manipulate alliance member. Could blow up on her too. As much as the pediatric nurse wants to think she’s a good player, I do see her not bonding well.

I see a handful of what seem like OK players but I really think the team challenges will likely dictate the winners. I feel like team loyalty might be higher than usual this season. Definitely doesn’t seem to be a lot of super schemers. I do agree with Elie that they should keep strong team
members early because I think one tribe winning every week will have the winner on it.

People who IMO have no shot to win after 1 episode:

Gabler is just as nutty as I thought he would be. Brad from S41 on steroids. Seems like he'll be too erratic to be trusted in a long-term alliance.
Gabler explaining his logic blabbing about his advantage: "I don't know if you can tell, but I go to the beat of my own drum" - Says the guy using the same drum as every unsuccessful Survivor blabberer.

I would guess that selling elevators means that most of your clients are developers/designers of new buildings. The sale is made well before ground is broken.

I do appreciate that Sami gave us insight about what exactly one does in a pet crematorium.

Seems like they went out of their way to cast “nice” players this year. Not a lot of scheming going on yet.

I would guess that selling elevators means that most of your clients are developers/designers of new buildings. The sale is made well before ground is broken.

I do appreciate that Sami gave us insight about what exactly one does in a pet crematorium.

The house I lived in in Memphis was supposed to have an elevator, but it was foreclosed on before the developer finished so it was never installed. The area where it was supposed to be was framed but never enclosed. Lights and a nice floor were put in instead, so when I bought it, I had to figure out what to do with this three-story open area roughly the size of an elevator. I asked for suggestions on Facebook, creating much hilarity. My favorite was "Old-school carnival hit-the-thing-with-a-hammer-and-win-a-prize game."

Anyway, I guess that guy could have sold me an elevator.

ETA: fixed link

The house I lived in in Memphis was supposed to have an elevator, but it was foreclosed on before the developer finished so it was never installed. The area where it was supposed to be was framed but never enclosed. Lights and a nice floor were put in instead, so when I bought it, I had to figure out what to do with this three-story open area roughly the size of an elevator. I asked for suggestions on Facebook, creating much hilarity. My favorite was "Old-school carnival hit-the-thing-with-a-hammer-and-win-a-prize game."

I feel confident you would not have purchased from him :) Out of curiosity did you ever get a quote just to figure out how much something like that would cost?

I feel confident you would not have purchased from him :) Out of curiosity did you ever get a quote just to figure out how much something like that would cost?

:lol: You’re right.

I never did get a quote! I wonder what it would have been.

Gabler's shirt kept making me do double takes. Matched his skin tone too well, I thought his body was covered in leaf tattoos or he just had really weird body hair patches.

Well not unexpected but disappointing. She was a graceful loser in her departure. Cody is probably a better player than I gave him credit for. Elli is coming off as patronizing so she may make herself a target. It looks like they may be targeting Ryan so I hope we get a tribe shakeup before then. I don't like Owen. After that I have a lot of indifference towards players early on.

Did anyone else catch Jeff helping the one tribe that forgot their bag with the single puzzle piece by yelling to them, after they dropped it, “Hey, where are you going? You’re going to need that bag!”

But then the other tribe didn’t get any heads-up when they didn’t bother with their bag? Probably didn’t cost them but when I realized it was a 90 minute episode I thought maybe they re-did the challenge or something.

The least they could have done is give them their flint back. Maybe it wasn’t noticed until they did the editing, but then why put that sequence of Jeff in the episode at all?

I was already down on Justine because in this era, players target anyone who gives them OMG PARVATI 2.0 vibes, and I totally get those from her. The edit may be setting her up for a blindside by Cody that she won't see coming.
As I was saying.

She compounded things by intimating TO HIS FACE that she didn't trust the guy she absolutely needed to vote with her.

Did anyone else catch Jeff helping the one tribe that forgot their bag with the single puzzle piece by yelling to them, after they dropped it, “Hey, where are you going? You’re going to need that bag!”

But then the other tribe didn’t get any heads-up when they didn’t bother with their bag? Probably didn’t cost them but when I realized it was a 90 minute episode I thought maybe they re-did the challenge or something.

The least they could have done is give them their flint back. Maybe it wasn’t noticed until they did the editing, but then why put that sequence of Jeff in the episode at all?
Yeah I noticed that as well, maybe he thought his announcement wasn't to that particular team, but to the whole group. Or perhaps it was group A running off with it while group C had the bag but didn't open it (I can't remember if they had the bag or not, but I'm pretty sure the first group tried to run off without it). Regardless I'm like you, if you give one heads up I think everyone should get it. Probably didn't impact the outcome because they were behind from the snake stage anyway.

As I was saying.

She compounded things by intimating TO HIS FACE that she didn't trust the guy she absolutely needed to vote with her.
So stupid of her and likely why she has no idea what people think of her “spider” talk. You don’t ever say to someone in your supposed alliance that you don’t trust them. Also, I was 99% sure Cody got the beads already and they were trying to hide it if you will go surprise us. If we knew Cody had his vote, tribal was already decided.

As I was saying.

This. Why on earth would you do that to anyone?

Right? What was up with that?? Jeff helps one team but not the other? Or is there some minor differential we aren't privy to? Like... they couldn't start the puzzle until they took the bag out of the box and into the puzzle area. But since the red team did bring the bag into the puzzle area, Jeff kept his mouth shut?

Weird thing to keep in. Just made Jeff and the producers look dumb.

(It reminds me of that very late, very important, possibly even final challenge where they had to stack letter blocks to spell a phrase on a wobbly board... Jeff denied one guy a victory because he had one block upside down, but, gave the win to another contestant that also had a piece upside-down, but, since it was the letter "O" he said it was ok?!?)

I will say "Get Everyone's Beads" is much better than "Say 'Broccoli is little trees' during the next immunity challenge".
Without question. And lucky that Cody was tasked with it, because telling everyone "give me your beads so I can decorate this hat I made" is perfectly in character for him.

Right? What was up with that?? Jeff helps one team but not the other? Or is there some minor differential we aren't privy to? Like... they couldn't start the puzzle until they took the bag out of the box and into the puzzle area. But since the red team did bring the bag into the puzzle area, Jeff kept his mouth shut?
Listening to Tyson's podcast right now. He said before a challenge, Jeff explains every detail of it to all the tribes, and "take the piece out of the bag" would have been one of the things he mentioned. So everyone already had the heads-up. Which probably means he doesn't give much thought to when/if he mentions it again during the challenge.

Noelle just guaranteed if we live long enough to see another amputee contestant some a-hole is going to tackle them and search their prosthetic.

In order for the steal a vote not to be played, it probably went down one of two ways:

1. Dwight told Jesse that Noelle had a steal a vote and they would use it on him if he didn't vote with them. Jesse then told Cody, and a consensus to vote out Nneka was formed.

2. Jesse and Cody decided to ditch Nneka because of her challenge performances. Jesse told this to Dwight, who told it to Noelle, who thus knew it would be a 4-1 vote and she wouldn't need to use her advantage.

In order for the steal a vote not to be played, it probably went down one of two ways:

1. Dwight told Jesse that Noelle had a steal a vote and they would use it on him if he didn't vote with them. Jesse then told Cody, and a consensus to vote out Nneka was formed.

2. Jesse and Cody decided to ditch Nneka because of her challenge performances. Jesse told this to Dwight, who told it to Noelle, who thus knew it would be a 4-1 vote and she wouldn't need to use her advantage.
I think it was number 2. I really liked Nneka but unfortunately I think the tribe made the right call.

Ellie’s arrogance could end up biting her. Gabler has acted erratically but to assume a heart surgeon can’t read a clue right is pretty insulting.

I think it was number 2. I really liked Nneka but unfortunately I think the tribe made the right call.

Ellie’s arrogance could end up biting her. Gabler has acted erratically but to assume a heart surgeon can’t read a clue right is pretty insulting.
He’s not a surgeon. He works for a medical device company and assists with procedures using the company’s devices. But you can’t be dumb if you have that job, either.

He’s not a surgeon. He works for a medical device company and assists with procedures using the company’s devices. But you can’t be dumb if you have that job, either.

I mean they have nothing to read and nothing but time out there. Reading that parchment is probably like entertainment out there. The dude probably read that parchment 100 times and studied every little nuance of it. So dumb to assume he can’t figure out how it works.

Agree with the bolded. Too many times people will vote "with the numbers" even though it weakens the tribe and they will have to continue to go back to TC. They did the right thing, as tough as it might have been.

And another one talks themselves out of the game.

I haven't seen someone play themselves out of the game like that for a long time. Pretty much all she had to do was say nothing and she would have been safe.

Yep.

On the positive side, I was yelling at the TV in joy at Cody's move. The fact that he knew that the most important thing was to let on what they wanted the most and then have them negotiate themselves was...well, I'd say :chefskiss: but I understand that's on the "phrases I never want to hear again" list. But damn. Tell them what you think they're going to be most pained at losing, when that's not what you are there for, and then glean that information to use against them to get them to keep throwing in stuff...I love him. The fact he's getting so much screentime worries me that he'll be set up for a huge blindside after the merge, though.

I also continue to be very impressed with Karla.

Last edited:
Cody has a wild personality but is actually very shrewd. I am not sure we have seen anyone exactly like that on Survivor before.

I loved the James confessional about Lindsay, which appeared to be spontaneous. She frustrated him so much that when he was alone on the way to the well, he just turned around and started venting to the camera operator about her. We don't usually see that.

I haven't seen someone play themselves out of the game like that for a long time. Pretty much all she had to do was say nothing and she would have been safe.

Yep.

On the positive side, I was yelling at the TV in joy at Cody's move. The fact that he knew that the most important thing was to let on what they wanted the most and then have them negotiate themselves was...well, I'd say :chefskiss: but I understand that's on the "phrases I never want to hear again" list. But damn. Tell them what you think they're going to be most pained at losing, when that's not what you are there for, and then glean that information to use against them to get them to keep throwing in stuff...I love him. The fact he's getting so much screentime worries me that he'll be set up for a huge blindside after the merge, though.

I wish they had shown what the rest of the tribe's reaction was when he returned with the extra stuff.

Yep.

I wish they had shown what the rest of the tribe's reaction was when he returned with the extra stuff.
That would have been nice, after Dwight of all people said it was like sending a child off.

I do think Cody is getting a bit of extra credit though. From what they showed prior to arrival, he was planning on taking the machete as a weakening act, he never indicated that he was doing it so they would offer something else. To his credit, once they started making offers quickly he maximized what he could get. I think it was Karla who immediately recognized "Y'all gave him way too much".

Lindsay said she was proud of herself in the post video, but I think she'll look back with a lot of regret. She had the look from day 1 of someone that wouldn't go very far because of how she carried herself around others, but wow that was some self destruction.

Ellie and Gabler will be the blow up happening soon. I think Ellie may be the first to go if she places too much confidence in the "he doesn't know he can use the idol angle". I don't think Gabler will be far behind due to how annoying he is around camp, his unpredictability, and kind of underwhelming challenge performances.

Karla is a good player and someone to watch. I have liked Ryan since the start, but this was a bad look for him. Throwing the challenge, and then his acting was terrible. Thinking he had the game on lockdown, arrogance kills in this game. Speaking of which, Geo thought he was in control the entire time he was on the island, and was never on the deciding side. His gamble paid off on taking the risk, but his arrogance didn't allow him to see he was in trouble. Ryan was shocked at everything.

Speaking of arrogant, Ellie and Jeannine thought they were in total control as well, this merge will save them. I can't believe all 3 of those "I need your beads" worked so easily.

I guess I'm pulling for Cody and Karla right now. Jesse seems ok and I do like James. I liked Ryan but man this was bad. Time for a list:

Kinda pulling for:
Cody
Karla
Jesse
James

No strong feelings:
Noelle
Cassidy

Young and dumb but actually playing better than I thought he would:
Sami

Old and dumb and won't make it very far unless he turns goat:
Gabler

Hope he just had a bad week so I can pull for him again:
Ryan

Not sure why just don't like them:
Owen
Dwight
I think with both of these I just think they think too highly of themselves, which borders on arrogance but is not like -

Arrogant and don't like them:
Elie
Jeannine

I think the Knowledge Is Power advantage is as cursed as the car reward used to be. And probably will be as long as they keep casting people who can’t keep their mouths shut.

The proper way to deploy the KIP advantage is to tell NO ONE about it. Three seasons and the casts still haven’t figured that out.

Karla is a good player and someone to watch. I have liked Ryan since the start, but this was a bad look for him. Throwing the challenge, and then his acting was terrible. Thinking he had the game on lockdown, arrogance kills in this game. Speaking of which, Geo thought he was in control the entire time he was on the island, and was never on the deciding side. His gamble paid off on taking the risk, but his arrogance didn't allow him to see he was in trouble. Ryan was shocked at everything.

Speaking of arrogant, Ellie and Jeannine thought they were in total control as well, this merge will save them. I can't believe all 3 of those "I need your beads" worked so easily.

I guess I'm pulling for Cody and Karla right now. Jesse seems ok and I do like James. I liked Ryan but man this was bad. Time for a list:

Kinda pulling for:
Cody
Karla
Jesse
James

No strong feelings:
Noelle
Cassidy

Young and dumb but actually playing better than I thought he would:
Sami

Old and dumb and won't make it very far unless he turns goat:
Gabler

Hope he just had a bad week so I can pull for him again:
Ryan

Not sure why just don't like them:
Owen
Dwight
I think with both of these I just think they think too highly of themselves, which borders on arrogance but is not like -

Arrogant and don't like them:
Elie
Jeannine
Cody, Karla, Jesse and James comprise my fantasy team!

If Sami wanted to mess up or vote out the two girls that found the beware advantage, why did he give her his bead? Why didn't he tell Gabler what was happening regarding the beads?

Why would he be mad at Gabler for giving her his bead? That didn't make any sense, unless I missed something earlier in the show.

You know, one of these seasons someone is actually going to keep a secret that an alliance member tells them after they find an advantage or idol... nah, will never happen.

I have liked Ryan since the start, but this was a bad look for him. Throwing the challenge, and then his acting was terrible. Thinking he had the game on lockdown, arrogance kills in this game.
His after the fact claim that he tried to mess up as a strategy was... questionable. Not sure I buy it, without some inkling that was a plan agreed upon by his alliance going in.

Users who are viewing this thread