What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Swallowed a Piece of Chicken Bone (1 Viewer)

AAABatteries

Footballguy
Was eating wings at Taco Mac earlier today and swallowed a piece of chicken bone.  Didn't get stuck but also didn't go all the way down.  Been sitting right in middle of my sternum for hours - no pain, can eat and drink normally but it's definitely still there and feels almost like indigestion.

So, do I have ball cancer or what?  I've tried eating some bread and drinking water and some diet soda.  Beginning to get a little concerned.  I'm hoping/assuming that by tomorrow morning it will have gone down and my stomach acid will take care of it. 

Any real cause for concern here?  I'm guessing if it's still bothering me on Monday I need to go get it checked out?

Was eating wings at Taco Mac earlier today and swallowed a piece of chicken bone.  Didn't get stuck but also didn't go all the way down.  Been sitting right in middle of my sternum for hours 
If it's been near your sternum for hours how is it not "stuck"?

If you seriously think you have a chicken bone lodged there I'd go to the ER.  But I imagine you would be in a lot more pain.  What possibly happened is that whatever you swallowed scratched your esophagus going down and that is what you are feeling.

I'm not certain how often this gets said, but I think Shuke is right.  But your should probably go to one of those emergency places to get an x-ray just to be sure.  You don't want it puncturing anything.

If you seriously think you have a chicken bone lodged there I'd go to the ER.  But I imagine you would be in a lot more pain.  What possibly happened is that whatever you swallowed scratched your esophagus going down and that is what you are feeling.
Meant not stuck in my throat.

I thinking you are right, I think it scratched something going down.  I’ve eaten twice now and had lots of water - no issues.  It just feels like indigestion.  Still no pain or other symptoms.  

Worst case scenario would be it going through your digestive tract and tearing stuff in there. Just on case you haven't thought of that yet.

shuke said:

@AAABatteries, the above poster is an expert in this area.

Take his advice with a grain of salt, not because it can't be trusted, but because everything tastes better with salt. 

UPDATE - spoke to the nurses hotline from my Insurance company and also called a family friend who is a nurse.  Neither sounded like I needed to go immediately  but both said to get it checked out.  Family friend said she would go to ENT on Monday if it’s still bothering me - think that’s what I’ll do unless it gets worse.  

The anxiety would be worse than the pain for me.

You must not chew completely, can't imagine swallowing so fast that a bone would get down my gullet.  That's some caveman #### for sure.

And yeah, wings at a taco joint?  Maybe this'll learn ya!

The anxiety would be worse than the pain for me.

You must not chew completely, can't imagine swallowing so fast that a bone would get down my gullet.  That's some caveman #### for sure.

And yeah, wings at a taco joint?  Maybe this'll learn ya!
First damn wing and I was starving - just took a bite and the flat had a piece break off.  There’s little to no pain - just uncomfortable and yes, the anxiety I think is making it worse.  

Have you people really not heard of Taco Mac and their wings?  I thought they were pretty well known for them.  Much more so than their tacos.

Taco Mac.  First thing that comes to mind is Tacos and Mac n Cheese, right?  That doesn't fit, like the wings don't.  Doesn't mean the wings aren't good but trying to be too many things is usually not the best idea.

Are they doing Mac n Cheese as well?

Their wheelhouse hours seem like 12AM on.

When triple A acquires a piece of this pie after the lawsuit, are we looking at expansion into other states?  And pizza on the menu???

@AAABatteries, The first time anyone ever accidentally ate a chicken bone was at a wedding reception back in the 1800's in Italy.  When Octavious Perilloni (I may have the spelling incorrect) began to have swallowing issues, then half of the guest told him to tuck his hands into his armpits and to start flapping.  The other half told him to wiggle his hips from side to side and to move in an up and down motion.  In a panic, he began to do both at the same time, and thus the birth of the chicken (bone) dance that everyone does at weddings.  I wish the poor bastrd would have died.

Give that remedy a try.  And film it too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, death.  Go to the damn ER.
You have any experience with this?  Everything I’ve read said that this isn’t uncommon and the vast majority of the time it’s not a problem.  I have to admit I’m concerned enough to not ignore it but I also have no symptoms other that indigestion.  My plan is to call the ENT first thing tomorrow and talk to their nurse and see if they can see me or if they’d advise something else.

You have any experience with this?  Everything I’ve read said that this isn’t uncommon and the vast majority of the time it’s not a problem.  I have to admit I’m concerned enough to not ignore it but I also have no symptoms other that indigestion.  My plan is to call the ENT first thing tomorrow and talk to their nurse and see if they can see me or if they’d advise something else.
Yeah, my grandfather swallowed a chicken bone and ended up having major surgery and being in the hospital for several weeks after it ripped open his stomach and intestines.  Only reason he lived was because my grandmother heard him collapse in the middle of the night and got him to a hospital before he bleed out and went into toxic shock.

Yeah, my grandfather swallowed a chicken bone and ended up having major surgery and being in the hospital for several weeks after it ripped open his stomach and intestines.  Only reason he lived was because my grandmother heard him collapse in the middle of the night and got him to a hospital before he bleed out and went into toxic shock.
So he was fine?  Seriously, if true glad he made it.

I decided an hour ago to go ahead and get checked.  X-rays done, waiting on radiologist to read them.  Nurse said it’s seems reasonable that if the x-ray comes back negative that it’s a scratched esophagus and I’ll just have to keep an eye on my poop for it to pass.  Noticeable stomach gurgling and some gas type pain - thinking my stomach is churning on this bad boy. 

Pray for my poop.

Radical Larry said:
Have you tried swallowing a fox or perhaps a weasel?
I know I'm way late to this game, but by god this is the funniest post in ages.

Hope you don't die, AAA.  I haven't even had a chance to see your feet.

Good news (mostly).  Nothing stuck in my sternum/esophagus- most likely the discomfort is from it scratching as it went down.  Because of my age they are doing an EKG and they also just gave me a GI cocktail to drink with lidocaine.  This sucks.

Good news (mostly).  Nothing stuck in my sternum/esophagus- most likely the discomfort is from it scratching as it went down.  Because of my age they are doing an EKG and they also just gave me a GI cocktail to drink with lidocaine.  This sucks.
I did mention colon blow.

Bonne chance.

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
You've neglected your chess game while you've been horsing around with this chicken bone nonsense, haven't you young man?

I am just seeing this and it reminded me of something from like 20 years ago. A guy I worked with lost his dad this way. His dad had swallowed a bone during dinner and was choking a bit but ended up swallowing it. He felt fine and was breathing fine. At some point his dad went to bed and the chicken bone must have relodged itself back into his throat somehow and he choked to death. So yeah seeing a doctor is the right thing to do. 

Users who are viewing this thread