What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** T.O. suspension *** (1 Viewer)

Suspension will stand, no release. TO can still grieve being placed inactive after the suspension. So there may be another filing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eskin is quite reliable too. He kisses the Eagles mangametment ### so much on the air, they ususally throw him a bone and give him the inside scoop on news stories to break it earlier than any other Philly media.

further reporting from Eskin:Eagles do not have to allow him to practice or even come to the facility...as long as they pay him...he's sitting at home the rest of the season.In 2 weeks TO can file another grievance about this decision.

Sal Pal just confirmed this on ESPN radio.
Eskin has further said that not only will the 4 game suspension be upheld, but the Eagles will be allowed to deactivate him for the rest of the season. They will not be forced to release him.

Don't you think things will go differently in another grievance, if the Eagles inactivate him? Wouldn't the 2 punishment thing apply more in a 2nd grievance after inactivation? In other words, if that grievance goes TO's way, wouldn't the Eagles be more inclined to release him, rather than have him as a distraction? I don't think this thing is over by a long shot.

If true, this is truly the best result. Even as a TO owner in one league, I applaud this. Great call by the arbitrator.

further reporting from Eskin:

Eagles do not have to allow him to practice or even come to the facility...as long as they pay him...he's sitting at home the rest of the season.

In 2 weeks TO can file another grievance about this decision.
If this is true, it's great news for the Eagles!

Eagles do not have to allow him to practice or even come to the facility...as long as they pay him...he's sitting at home the rest of the season.

How is that? I'm sure this won't help the Eagles with future free agents. However, if they released TO, it wouldn't be as bad in the eyes of the players in the league, IMO.

If true, this is a great ruling and really the only ruling that should have been allowed. Having an outside party dictate to the Eagles or any team in the league how they can handle a player they fully intend to pay would have been a terrible precedent for the NFL.Good decision if the report is correct. :thumbup:

:pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ah :pickle: YEAH I LOVE IT!!!! TO you big f'in baby. Take you medicine and start acting like a man. :pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ah :pickle:

How is that? I'm sure this won't help the Eagles with future free agents. However, if they released TO, it wouldn't be as bad in the eyes of the players in the league, IMO.
They get what they wanted, and don't lose as much $$ by releasing him before March

I believe other FAs will view the hard stance as a negative thing, and hurt the Eagles chances in landing future FAs.

Don't you think things will go differently in another grievance, if the Eagles inactivate him? Wouldn't the 2 punishment thing apply more in a 2nd grievance after inactivation? In other words, if that grievance goes TO's way, wouldn't the Eagles be more inclined to release him, rather than have him as a distraction? I don't think this thing is over by a long shot.
There is absolutely zero chance that any arbitrator will rule that the Eagles have to make TO active.

Sounds like all you have to do is not criticize McNabb and you won't be suspended. We'll have to see if McNabb likes not making the playoffs anymore.

LOL All these TO threads and articles on different websites about the suspension being reduced.... and now this. Ahhhh, classic! :lmao:

They get what they wanted, and don't lose as much $$ by releasing him before March
I think it's "good" in that the team doesn't have to essentially let TO get what he wanted from the start. It's also "good" for the NFL owners because this sets a precedent for being able to suspend players who are malcontents [although I'm sure the NFLPA will try to negotiate more explicit terms on this in the new CBA]. It would certainly have been a bigger deal if the Eagles were still on track to be a playoff contender; but that's all but dashed now.

Great win for the Eagles. They can continue losing games and get the pleasure of paying their most talented player to sit and home and laugh at them, but they do get to save 4 games' salary. That'll show him for saying their quarterback who's out for the rest of the season is hypothetically worse for their team than a guy that hasn't missed a game in forever.

Man, the NFL is one twisted, hypocritical league. If you wanna suspend TO for dissing his team...fine. But please don't allow some coach to tell us it don't matter if his team (that I PAY to see) don't win games, or allow folks that beat their wives to play, etc.Bull####....On the flip side, I wonder how this will impact Philly and their ability to sign FA's in the future?

I am not sure the Iggles ability to de-activate with pay was ever an issue for this appeal. I thought it was only concerned with the length of the suspension and therefore the number fo games they could deny him pay for. Although I have read several times today that he might be put on waivers I am not sure why they woulddo this when they aready said they would de-activate him as soon as the suspension was down.

Great win for the Eagles. They can continue losing games and get the pleasure of paying their most talented player to sit and home and laugh at them, but they do get to save 4 games' salary. That'll show him for saying their quarterback who's out for the rest of the season is hypothetically worse for their team than a guy that hasn't missed a game in forever.
:goodposting:

:pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ah :pickle:

YEAH I LOVE IT!!!! TO you big f'in baby. Take you medicine and start acting like a man.

:pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ha :pickle: ah :pickle:
Like you?.... :lmao:

Now the Eagles have lost twice! They lost their whole season, and now they have to pay his full salary if they want him to stay home! With the Eagles season over already they should have just cut him loose and be done with him.

Don't you think things will go differently in another grievance, if the Eagles inactivate him?  Wouldn't the 2 punishment thing apply more in a 2nd grievance after inactivation?  In other words, if that grievance goes TO's way, wouldn't the Eagles be more inclined to release him, rather than have him as a distraction?  I don't think this thing is over by a long shot.
There is absolutely zero chance that any arbitrator will rule that the Eagles have to make TO active.
It's still going to mean a second messy arbitration hearing and a second bout of media attention on this. Three straight losses to division rivals, an even bigger circus than if they'd just let him continue playing or cut him outright, and now they're going to extend the messy arbitration by another couple weeks. Way to get rid of the distraction, Andy, you did a great job handling this.

Sirrius reported the same thing, HOWEVER, ESPN reported that he may be released and go on the waiver wire

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2234460

=============================

Report: Eagles WR Owens suspension to be reduced

SportsTicker

National Football League News Wire

NEW YORK - Terrell Owens may get his wish after all.

According to a report in Newsday, arbitrator Richard Bloch is expected to reduce the controversial wide receiver's four-game suspension by the Philadelphia Eagles.

The arbitration hearing for Owens was held last Friday and lasted 14 hours. A decision is expected to be announced on Wednesday.

Owens was suspended by Eagles coach Andy Reid for conduct detrimental to the team and has already missed three games. The NFL Players Association is seeking to have the suspension reduced and wants the Eagles to cut Owens if they have no intention of playing him again.

The report indicates that the Eagles, who planned to deactivate Owens for the remainder of the season, will release the mercurial superstar receiver instead. Philadelphia is concerned that Owens will cause a distraction if the ruling allows him to return to the Eagles' practice facility.

Owens has stated all along that he wants to return to the Eagles, but would want to be released if Philadelphia didn't plan to play him. If released, Owens would go through the league's waiver system, with the worst team getting the first shot of claiming him.

Owens is making a base salary of $3.75 million this season.

:goodposting:

Sirrius reported the same thing, HOWEVER, ESPN reported that he may be released and go on the waiver wire

SportsTicker

According to a report in Newsday, arbitrator Richard Bloch is expected to reduce the controversial wide receiver's four-game suspension by the Philadelphia Eagles.

The arbitration hearing for Owens was held last Friday and lasted 14 hours. A decision is expected to be announced on Wednesday.

Owens was suspended by Eagles coach Andy Reid for conduct detrimental to the team and has already missed three games. The NFL Players Association is seeking to have the suspension reduced and wants the Eagles to cut Owens if they have no intention of playing him again.

The report indicates that the Eagles, who planned to deactivate Owens for the remainder of the season, will release the mercurial superstar receiver instead. Philadelphia is concerned that Owens will cause a distraction if the ruling allows him to return to the Eagles' practice facility.

Owens has stated all along that he wants to return to the Eagles, but would want to be released if Philadelphia didn't plan to play him. If released, Owens would go through the league's waiver system, with the worst team getting the first shot of claiming him.

Now I'm confused. :confused:

Man, the NFL is one twisted, hypocritical league. If you wanna suspend TO for dissing his team...fine. But please don't allow some coach to tell us it don't matter if his team (that I PAY to see) don't win games, or allow folks that beat their wives to play, etc.

Bull####....
The NFL didn't suspend TO, The Eagles did.

Dodds tried to make this point a week or two ago and I just don't get it...

Players choose their FA destinations largely on some combination of the following factors:

Amount of $$$ being offered

Potential for the team to contend
Quality of the facilities
Quality of the coaches
System
Playing timeThe Eagles are a model franchise, they have had and will continue to have $$$ to spend on players they covet. The coaching staff remains among the league's best and the facilities are brand new and state of the art. The core of the team both offensively and defensive is under long-term contract.

I think players will look at how guys like Jeremiah Trotter and Hugh Douglass came back for veteran minimums to the team even though they weren't retained previously as an indication of the quality situation.

Also, I think players and agents will notice that the Eagles proactively locked up guys like McNabb, Akers, Westbrook, G. Lewis, Dawkins, Sheppard, Brown, Thomas, Hicks, Rayburn and Adams to LONG TERM deals.

I also think they'll look at the Eagles willingness to break the bank for guys like Kearse and Owens in free agency and not shy away.

LOL at this somehow HURTING the Eagles chances in free agency.

$15mm-$20mm under the cap + Reid + the Linc + a core locked up to long-term contracts = free agents more than willing to come aboard.

SportsTicker

I think this article is from earlier in the day.

Man, the NFL is one twisted, hypocritical league.  If you wanna suspend TO for dissing his team...fine.  But please don't allow some coach to tell us it don't matter if his team (that I PAY to see) don't win games, or allow folks that beat their wives to play, etc.

Bull####....
True, but it is the league allowing it to happen.Again, I am fine with suspending him. I just don't see how one team can suspend a player for dissing team members in the media, but a woman beater can play on. Makes no sense....

SportsTicker

ESPN.com says the suspension was upheld and Owens is done for the year.

SportsTicker

Actually they've now got it right...ESPN ran with the erroneous Newsday story initially...http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2234459

Man, the NFL is one twisted, hypocritical league.  If you wanna suspend TO for dissing his team...fine.  But please don't allow some coach to tell us it don't matter if his team (that I PAY to see) don't win games, or allow folks that beat their wives to play, etc.

Bull####....
True, but it is the league allowing it to happen.Again, I am fine with suspending him. I just don't see how one team can suspend a player for dissing team members in the media, but a woman beater can play on. Makes no sense....
There are many other reasons TO was suspended other than dissing team members in the media.

Players choose their FA destinations largely on some combination of the following factors:

Quality of the coaches
System
Playing timeThe Eagles are a model franchise, they have had and will continue to have $$$ to spend on players they covet. The coaching staff remains among the league's best and the facilities are brand new and state of the art. The core of the team both offensively and defensive is under long-term contract.

I think players will look at how guys like Jeremiah Trotter and Hugh Dougl### came back for veteran minimums to the team even though they weren't retained previously as an indication of the quality situation.

Also, I think players and agents will notice that the Eagles proactively locked up guys like McNabb, Akers, Westbrook, G. Lewis, Dawkins, Sheppard, Brown, Thomas, Hicks, Rayburn and Adams to LONG TERM deals.

I also think they'll look at the Eagles willingness to break the bank for guys like Kearse and Owens in free agency and not shy away.

$15mm-$20mm under the cap + Reid + the Linc + a core locked up to long-term contracts = free agents more than willing to come aboard.
Nice.

Quality of the coaches
System

I think players will look at how guys like Jeremiah Trotter and Hugh Douglass came back for veteran minimums to the team even though they weren't retained previously as an indication of the quality situation.

Most things being equal between the Eagles and another franchise, that player might choose the other franchise.

SportsTicker

I think this article is from earlier in the day.
Time at the top of the page was 12:31 today. Not sure of the time zone or if it came out earlier and wasn't updated.

Users who are viewing this thread