What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

talking during a movie - punishable by...? (1 Viewer)

does ketchup belong on a hot dog?

• Total voters

mr. furley

Footballguy
my lovely wife has the worst habit of talking continuously throughout movies. if she hasn't fallen asleep she's either asking me what happened, what i think might happen, how something happened, who might be involved or just... chatting about things since i'm a captive audience.

especially during a tense movie that doesn't involve a 90 minute long car chase with hundreds of explosions.

if it's a psychological thriller or tense drama that she's actually interested in... i have to re-watch later to understand what happened because of the constant speculation & running commentary.

has anyone had success wearing noise-canceling headphones in these situations and just go with guessing as to what's occurring on screen?

admonishment?  
When with somebody it's more about whatever relationship you have, you are sharing the experience.  So share it.

If it's all about the movie you will have to watch it alone.

Didn't mean to quote, DUH~~~

Last edited by a moderator:
poor furls. this would drive me crazy. the wife and I have different tastes in movies- we compromise (which means she falls asleep during my choices). I end up watching most of what i want to watch later after she's fallen asleep (naturally, or as a result of having to watch something I want to watch). agree that outside of a divorce, you're SOL and need to watch your stuff on your time... assuming you've already discussed this with her? 

eta: wait- is this at-home or in-theater viewing?

one way you could hide is go out and get an extra large bucket of popcorn then eat it and when you are done cut out two eye holes and put it on your head when she turns to talk to you she will say oh wait that is just a large bucket of popcorn and will not say anything because what kind of a lunatic talks to a popcorn bucket no one that is who and your problems are solved bam another riddle solved by the old swcer take that to the bank bromigos 

my lovely wife has the worst habit of talking continuously throughout movies. if she hasn't fallen asleep she's either asking me what happened, what i think might happen, how something happened, who might be involved or just... chatting about things since i'm a captive audience.

especially during a tense movie that doesn't involve a 90 minute long car chase with hundreds of explosions.

if it's a psychological thriller or tense drama that she's actually interested in... i have to re-watch later to understand what happened because of the constant speculation & running commentary.

has anyone had success wearing noise-canceling headphones in these situations and just go with guessing as to what's occurring on screen?
I have an extremely passive-aggressive, frankly ###hole tactic to deal with this.  I pause the movie, address her directly, and patiently discuss all her questions and comments until we're ready to continue, typically re-winding a couple minutes.

poor furls. this would drive me crazy. the wife and I have different tastes in movies- we compromise (which means she falls asleep during my choices). I end up watching most of what i want to watch later after she's fallen asleep (naturally, or as a result of having to watch something I want to watch). agree that outside of a divorce, you're SOL and need to watch your stuff on your time... assuming you've already discussed this with her? 

eta: wait- is this at-home or in-theater viewing?
both

one way you could hide is go out and get an extra large bucket of popcorn then eat it and when you are done cut out two eye holes and put it on your head when she turns to talk to you she will say oh wait that is just a large bucket of popcorn and will not say anything because what kind of a lunatic talks to a popcorn bucket no one that is who and your problems are solved bam another riddle solved by the old swcer take that to the bank bromigos 
Finally, the voice of reason.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Home is for headphone, or turn on closed captioning.  My wife has gotten used to the fact that I can tone her out completely while watching tv, so she stopped trying to talk to me.  

ALL THE TIME - I often say - IDK - I started watching the same time you did so as to minimize the interruption....

ETA - sure why not - Ketchup on a hot dog that is

My wife and son both do this "asking questions that can't be answered" thing.  It's mostly at home, and I have to pause the movie and address their questions.  

They seem oblivious that they are missing additional information by talking through the movie - and generating more questions.  

furlmeister if you ever wanted to join the immortal ranks of shukehan and gmigo you should put up a youtuber of you with a popcorn bucket watching a movie in silence while your wife does not even realize you are there that would rule brohan take that to the bank 

if it's a psychological thriller or tense drama that she's actually interested in... i have to re-watch later to understand what happened because of the constant speculation & running commentary
She sounds like the perfect candidate to watch Bandersnatch with! :lol:

Dan Lambskin said:
My wife likes to pepper me with questions that couldn’t possibly be answered based on what has happened already, and then breaks my concentration on the current scene.  Usually during shows like GOT
Waaaaayyyy back I had a friend that would do this. Actually he was my friend’s roommate.  His name was Dave and he was an idiot.

One time we were watching some movie or TV show where in the first minute someone was killed by an unknown assailant.  The entire plot of the show was “who was the killer”.  10 seconds after the on screen murder Dave asks “so who killed that guy?”. 

Users who are viewing this thread