What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tampa Bay backfield ROS (1 Viewer)

Saboo

Footballguy
So who is going to emerge here between P.Barber and R.Jones? I thought for sure Jones would be worked into the lineup after the Buc’s bye week. Considering that Jones out touched Barber the last game the Buc’s played and given the high draft choice they spent on Jones and the fact that Barber had been largely ineffective in the starting role I thought it was a no brainer Jones would be taking over...Of coarse Barber comes out in week six and dominates touches and puts up an impressive stat line similar to the numbers he put up last year with Winston playing at QB. If they aren’t going to integrate Jones after the bye week does that mean it’s Barber’s job for the rest of the season?

Does anyone know why 2nd round pick Jones is not seeing the field on a consistent basis? Are the Bucs unhappy with his play, do they feel he is not picking up the system or is not good on blitz pickup etc? Or are they simply more impressed with Barber?

Given the lack of depth at rb one of these guys will have value going forward. Who do you think it will be Barber or Jones?

I think we may have that answer (or the likeliest outcome) already.

Barber has not been great, but the entire TB offense and their line is shoddy. But RoJo looked pretty poor in preseason, and hasn't done a thing to show that he'd be any better than Barber.

I think Barber has shown already he's the guy to own in this backfield, but that you are much better looking for production elsewhere entirely.

Barber and it’s not close. 

Not to toot my own horn, but I pretty well called it in the Jones topic. With Winston back, defenses don’t stack the line as much - as good as Fitzmagic was for 2.5 games, defenses didn’t respect his arm & put everything into trying to force the TB offense into imbalance. 

Winston comes back & Barber has a 100+ APY game with a receiving TD.

i don’t see that as a coincidence.

meanwhile, Jones has shown hands of stone, poor pass pro skills & an inability to follow his blocking (averaging less than 1 YPC)

Dynasty i’d say Jones is a hold, because there’s not many other options. It’s too early to call him a bust, but it is concerning since RB is supposed to be the easiest transition from college to the pros. 

But foe right now & ROS, it’s pretty clearly Barber’s gig. Injury would be about the only way Jones gets a shot - and even then I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Bucs bring in a JAG who can pass block instead of putting their franchise QB’s health on Jones’ shoulders. 

Last edited by a moderator:
When the dust settles around Week 9, the starting back for the Bucs will be Jones. 

Ownership will need to see what they have moving forward, as the Koetter regime is headed to an end. Barber isn’t a starting RB in the NFL, talent wise, and the Bucs invested high draft capital in Rojo. 

Rojo will break out weeks 9-14.

When the dust settles around Week 9, the starting back for the Bucs will be Jones. 

Ownership will need to see what they have moving forward, as the Koetter regime is headed to an end. Barber isn’t a starting RB in the NFL, talent wise, and the Bucs invested high draft capital in Rojo. 

Rojo will break out weeks 9-14.
I will bet you 1,000,000 internet points* that this doesn’t happen.

*no actual monetary value

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we may have that answer (or the likeliest outcome) already.

Barber has not been great, but the entire TB offense and their line is shoddy. But RoJo looked pretty poor in preseason, and hasn't done a thing to show that he'd be any better than Barber.

I think Barber has shown already he's the guy to own in this backfield, but that you are much better looking for production elsewhere entirely.
Not sure if you meant to word this in this particular way, but the entire TB offense is second in total yards in the league.  Far from shoddy.  They'd be 4-1 if they just had an awful defense.  They currently have statistically the worst defense in the history of the NFL.

To answer the OP's question, it's Barber's job. 

Not sure if you meant to word this in this particular way, but the entire TB offense is second in total yards in the league.  Far from shoddy.  They'd be 4-1 if they just had an awful defense.  They currently have statistically the worst defense in the history of the NFL.

To answer the OP's question, it's Barber's job. 
Good catch. I was really pointing out the offensive line and this team's rushing offense -- I did not mean to discount Fitzmagic, as it was really fun to watch, or what Winston can bring to the passing game if he plays up to purported potential.

But the total yards is misleading if you are using it to gauge Barber and/or RoJo's potential.

To your own point, TBs D is atrocious, so they will have to pass a lot. And their line is in the last third in terms of overall grade, middling in terms of sacks allowed/game, and are 31st in terms of rushing yards.

This last stat is slanted by the need to pass so much to keep up, but my intended point around that offense not looking like it's going to help whoever is toting the rock in the running game still stands.

I'm hopeful the change at defensive coordinator will at least allow the defense to settle in as just abysmal instead of historically the worst defense ever.  If that happens they may be able to keep it close enough for Barber to get some carries.  He looked pretty good with the ones he received yesterday.  If/when Tampa falls out of the race you may start to see more of Jones.  RJ did manage to have I think three receptions in the game.

It's Barber.  He has not shown much so far this season but he is outperforming Jones.  That is all that matters.   

Barber is nothing special but he is the guy on an overall decent offense. The line is garbage but if they can get even a semblance of a run game they will be fine and happy with the unspectacular Barber.

Barber for another 2-3 weeks. Then it's Jones. When your season is all but over by week 9, you look to the future and try to see what you have with your young guys. TB's future, as of right now, is with Jones at this position. 

Barber for another 2-3 weeks. Then it's Jones. When your season is all but over by week 9, you look to the future and try to see what you have with your young guys. TB's future, as of right now, is with Jones at this position. 
Far more certainly Winston is their future, and Barber can pass protect while Jones is a screen door. 

Barring injury, I wouldn’t hold your breath on Jones starting in 3 weeks. Or 4. Or 5. 

Users who are viewing this thread