What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Taunt The Guy You Think You've Got Beat... (1 Viewer)

I remember being worried about something like this happening during the 2nd Sugar Ray Leonard/Roberto Duran fight. The big difference between that match and this one is that Leonard was a HOFer and continued to punish Duran while he was taunting him, and Duran quit.

Dusty Baker says hi.  

2002 world series.  He takes out Russ Ortiz with a 5 to 0 lead after a lead off hit.  Gives him the game ball as a momento on way off mound.   It was game 6. Bottom of 7th inning.  Giants lose the game and game 7.  

at your peril...

Sorry if honda but this is great.

https://twitter.com/BTSportBoxing/status/1109572755182309377
Definitely a great video.  On a side note-what the heck is "honda" an acronym for?
Many years ago (seriously, it was like 16 years ago), Honda made this commercial.

It was really cool. Clips of the commercial started going viral on the internet, and people in this forum began to post links to the video (without realizing that it had already been posted several times).

After the commercial had been posted at least a dozen times, people started responded with just "Honda".

Then, someone created an emoticon to go along with it. So, whenever someone posted a duplicate thread or a duplicate idea, you could just respond with :honda: (and it would show a little "H" icon, similar to the Honda car symbol).

The emoticon is long gone, but the phrase still lives on.

I remember being worried about something like this happening during the 2nd Sugar Ray Leonard/Roberto Duran fight. The big difference between that match and this one is that Leonard was a HOFer and continued to punish Duran while he was taunting him, and Duran quit.
Some boxing moxie up in here, huh, my friend? Long time before mine, but nice to hear. Peace, mang. 

Dusty Baker says hi.  

2002 world series.  He takes out Russ Ortiz with a 5 to 0 lead after a lead off hit.  Gives him the game ball as a momento on way off mound.   It was game 6. Bottom of 7th inning.  Giants lose the game and game 7.  
Word. Great losses by those in the know.  

Ref stopping the fight with basically one second on the clock is a bit of a reach though, isn't it?  The one fighter did get back on his feet and if the ref takes another second to evaluate him, the final bell rings and he is saved by the bell.

Also not recommended -- don't lead with an unguarded chin if it's made of glass.

Sediri isn't a palooka -- he was coming into this fight undefeated -- but it wasn't like that right cross was flush on the button either.

Ref stopping the fight with basically one second on the clock is a bit of a reach though, isn't it?  The one fighter did get back on his feet and if the ref takes another second to evaluate him, the final bell rings and he is saved by the bell.
The guy got up yes but he also was basically falling face first into the corner. It’s not the refs job to think about how much time is left or who is winning the fight. The guy got knocked down and was unable to continue fighting. I think the ref did the right thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[scooter] said:
Many years ago (seriously, it was like 16 years ago), Honda made this commercial.

It was really cool. Clips of the commercial started going viral on the internet, and people in this forum began to post links to the video (without realizing that it had already been posted several times).

After the commercial had been posted at least a dozen times, people started responded with just "Honda".

Then, someone created an emoticon to go along with it. So, whenever someone posted a duplicate thread or a duplicate idea, you could just respond with :honda: (and it would show a little "H" icon, similar to the Honda car symbol).

The emoticon is long gone, but the phrase still lives on.
Is this setup better than the Honda commercial?

The guy got up yes but he also was basically falling face first into the corner. It’s not the refs job to think about how much time is left or who is winning the fight. The guy got knocked down and was unable to continue fighting. I think the ref did the right thing.
Correct. How much time is left doesn't matter, you have to be able to show the ref you're able to continue fighting. 

The Russ Ortiz take is bad. He was in the 7th at 98 pitches, and was a league-average starter. A fresh bullpen, even an iffy one, is a better option at that point. 

Also it wasn't a lead-off hit, Ortiz got the first out, and then gave up back-to-back singles, got pulled, at which point Felix Rodriguez promptly got taken deep by Troy Glaus. Baker's a dreadful manager, but getting Ortiz out is fine there.

I know what at least two of you are thinking: Wow, boxing is pretty cool sometimes. I usually just watch the big fights, but maybe I'll start checking out some more stuff, I know it's on espn+ now, and there's also that "DAZN" thingy.

Don't. Boxing is still a cesspool. It's fans are morons, politics ensure that the fights everybody wants to see either happen late or not at all, there is controversial/shady judging, too many non-competitive fights, there are too many weight classes (shout out to 112 tho), etc. etc.

Counterpoint: Awesome stuff like this happens sometimes.

Also not recommended -- don't lead with an unguarded chin if it's made of glass.

Sediri isn't a palooka -- he was coming into this fight undefeated -- but it wasn't like that right cross was flush on the button either.
An undefeated record at that point in one's career (Maxwell was also undefeated, and has faced similar opposition)  isn't really terribly noteworthy, neither had really faced anyone of consequence. Guys like Sediri get found out every week, they're both a looooooong way away from the top of the heap.

Users who are viewing this thread