What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Taurine, a super supplement? (1 Viewer)

Caveman33

Footballguy

Recent studies on monkeys and mice have found that taurine supplements improve health and lengthen life. Even before this study was released, people were touting the amazing benefits they were experiencing from taking taurine. Energy drinks contain taurine but all the other junk within those drinks certainly make them a less than ideal way of boosting your taurine levels. Has anyone been taking taurine supplements?

Recent studies on monkeys and mice have found that taurine supplements improve health and lengthen life. Even before this study was released, people were touting the amazing benefits they were experiencing from taking taurine. Energy drinks contain taurine but all the other junk within those drinks certainly make them a less than ideal way of boosting your taurine levels. Has anyone been taking taurine supplements?
Huh. I had never heard of it before now. I did a quick google search and it looks like something I could use. I ordered some from Amazon... I'll add 500mg to my morning and evening meds and see what happens.

Similar health effects of taurine supplements were seen in middle-aged rhesus monkeys, which were given daily taurine supplements for six months. Taurine prevented weight gain, reduced fasting blood glucose and markers of liver damage, increased bone density in the spine and legs, and improved the health of their immune systems.

Huh. I had never heard of it before now. I did a quick google search and it looks like something I could use. I ordered some from Amazon... I'll add 500mg to my morning and evening meds and see what happens.

Similar health effects of taurine supplements were seen in middle-aged rhesus monkeys, which were given daily taurine supplements for six months. Taurine prevented weight gain, reduced fasting blood glucose and markers of liver damage, increased bone density in the spine and legs, and improved the health of their immune systems.

What brand did you order off Amazon? I think it's important to consider the source. I've read good things about nootropics depot. But I've never taken any supplements. I get too nervous about side effects and messing with the body's natural ability. If you can comfortably afford testing, it might be worthwhile to see where your taurine levels are before you start supplementing.

What brand did you order off Amazon? I think it's important to consider the source. I've read good things about nootropics depot. But I've never taken any supplements. I get too nervous about side effects and messing with the body's natural ability. If you can comfortably afford testing, it might be worthwhile to see where your taurine levels are before you start supplementing.
Thorne... it seemed to have very good reviews. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FH13PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I go to see my doctor on the 22nd and I have requested a blood draw before that appointment. As far as messing with the body's natural ability... I've been experimenting with substances known to be much more harmful than this since my college days.

Are there any supplements or nootropics that you would recommend? I know everyone's situation is unique and good diet, sleep and exercise should come first. But even with all that in order, couldn't there be deficiencies that would benefit from supplementation? My fear is that our bodies are so good at compensating and declines happen gradually causing many people to slug through life unaware of how much better they could feel and function.

But even with all that in order, couldn't there be deficiencies that would benefit from supplementation? My fear is that our bodies are so good at compensating and declines happen gradually causing many people to slug through life unaware of how much better they could feel and function.
I need to make a dedicated thread, but I'd recommend picking up and reading Outlive by Peter Attia. I've worked my way through it once and am going back as it's pretty dense. As far as supplements at our ages the best ones are statins.

I've learned a great deal from this book. One item that stood out as far as longevity that I had never heard before - the most significant indicator for reduction in all causes mortality is VO2Max. The correlations are profound. So, truly, before worrying about supplementation get your VO2Max to the top 5% of your age group.

That said I'm taking 1000mg of taurine/day. It's very well tolerated so I figure it is more likely to be helpful than harmful.

But even with all that in order, couldn't there be deficiencies that would benefit from supplementation? My fear is that our bodies are so good at compensating and declines happen gradually causing many people to slug through life unaware of how much better they could feel and function.
I need to make a dedicated thread, but I'd recommend picking up and reading Outlive by Peter Attia. I've worked my way through it once and am going back as it's pretty dense. As far as supplements at our ages the best ones are statins.

I've learned a great deal from this book. One item that stood out as far as longevity that I had never heard before - the most significant indicator for reduction in all causes mortality is VO2Max. The correlations are profound. So, truly, before worrying about supplementation get your VO2Max to the top 5% of your age group.

That said I'm taking 1000mg of taurine/day. It's very well tolerated so I figure it is more likely to be helpful than harmful.
:thumbup: Been listening to Attia's podcast for a while now, but need to pick up the book. Good stuff.

Are there any supplements or nootropics that you would recommend? I know everyone's situation is unique and good diet, sleep and exercise should come first. But even with all that in order, couldn't there be deficiencies that would benefit from supplementation? My fear is that our bodies are so good at compensating and declines happen gradually causing many people to slug through life unaware of how much better they could feel and function.
For someone with a balanced diet, no. If you have a documented deficiency, sure.

Now many of us have crappy diets, but the solution to that problem is improving your diet, not taking a nutraceutical.

That’s not to say some of them aren’t helpful. The problem is, they aren’t rigorously tested for efficacy, and quality isn’t regulated. Most of the billion+ dollar supplement industry is marketing. So you don’t know what you’re getting. Most of the time this just ends up being a waste of money, but occasionally supplements prove harmful.

So in general, I don’t recommend them. Rare exceptions are vitamin B12 for vegans, and vitamin D for people with inadequate sun exposure - but even then I’d check a level first.

IIRC, you may have a chronic medical condition, many of which are associated with micronutrient deficiencies. That’s a different question altogether.

For someone with a balanced diet, no. If you have a documented deficiency, sure.

Now many of us have crappy diets, but the solution to that problem is improving your diet, not taking a nutraceutical.

That’s not to say some of them aren’t helpful. The problem is, they aren’t rigorously tested for efficacy, and quality isn’t regulated. Most of the billion+ dollar supplement industry is marketing. So you don’t know what you’re getting. Most of the time this just ends up being a waste of money, but occasionally supplements prove harmful.

So in general, I don’t recommend them. Rare exceptions are vitamin B12 for vegans, and vitamin D for people with inadequate sun exposure - but even then I’d check a level first.

IIRC, you may have a chronic medical condition, many of which are associated with micronutrient deficiencies. That’s a different question altogether.
Still blows my mind that there hasn’t been an FDA or similar agency attempt to test and regulate that market.

Still blows my mind that there hasn’t been an FDA or similar agency attempt to test and regulate that market.
Blows my mind how eagerly people take supplements. And it's often folks who are health conscious, the same people who reject rigorously tested conventional medicine.

That’s not to say the pharmaceutical industry is always looking out for you best interests. But they’re a lot more scrutinized than the alternatives.

Blows my mind how eagerly people take supplements. And it's often folks who are health conscious, the same people who reject rigorously tested conventional medicine.

That’s not to say the pharmaceutical industry is always looking out for you best interests. But they’re a lot more scrutinized than the alternatives.
The devil is in the details. It depends on what supplements. I take 3 - fish oil (eye doctor told me to for dry eye), vitamin D, and taurine. All those have studies to back them up.

Though I agree most supplements and vitamins are useless, there are those that do have something behind them.

Yeah there’s some weird overlaps of intelligent health minded people who also often have some conspiracy leanings but also are fine with totally unregulated markets. It’s weird. Though I do use supplements so I guess I fall for it too. Fish oil/Flax seed, garlic and creatine when I’m working out regularly.

Last edited:

The devil is in the details. It depends on what supplements. I take 3 - fish oil (eye doctor told me to for dry eye), vitamin D, and taurine. All those have studies to back them up.

Though I agree most supplements and vitamins are useless, there are those that do have something behind them.
You’re right about the details. Unfortunately, most nutrition studies are poorly designed, and don’t really stand up to scientific scrutiny.

There’s a ton of data for vitamin D, some of it conflicting, but ultimately benefit appears limited to those with deficiencies, and chronic medical conditions associated with them. Granted, deficiency is common.

Fish oil is interesting. I don’t know about dry eyes, but it’s usually taken for favorable effects on cardiometabolic health. I just saw something acknowledging its value, but claimed the real issue isn’t lack of omega-3 fatty acids (the stuff in fish oil), but too much omega-6 (vegetable oils, animal products). Both are essential fatty acids; a ratio of roughly 4:1 omega 6:3 is thought to be optimal for health (though this too is controversial). Western diets are more like 15:1. So instead of decreasing the excess omega 6s, we’re told to increase omega 3s. Doesn’t make much sense imo.

I know little about taurine, but I’d love to be educated. Do you know of any large-scale trials showing tangible benefits from supplementation? Pop science like the OP is interesting, but the Science article it references even acknowledges the lack of randomized clinical trials. I’ve seen too many superfoods/supplement look good in the lab and animal studies, only to show no effect when studied in humans. What taurine data swayed your opinion?

FTR I take no supplements, but try to eat a balanced diet.

Put Gary Gensler in charge. He'll try to regulate it into the dust.

Put Gary Gensler in charge. He'll try to regulate it into the dust.
I have no idea who that is. But I don’t think anyone is advocating draconian regulation. Some would be helpful though.

Fish oil is interesting. I don’t know about dry eyes, but it’s usually taken for favorable effects on cardiometabolic health. I just saw something acknowledging its value, but claimed the real issue isn’t lack of omega-3 fatty acids (the stuff in fish oil), but too much omega-6 (vegetable oils, animal products). Both are essential fatty acids; a ratio of roughly 4:1 omega 6:3 is thought to be optimal for health (though this too is controversial). Western diets are more like 15:1. So instead of decreasing the excess omega 6s, we’re told to increase omega 3s. Doesn’t make much sense imo.
Fish oil - dry eye. Mostly on this one I trust my ophthalmologist. Some winters dry eye kills me.

As far as taurine there are a number of studies out there. You're right in that there may not be the large scale human study, but there is enough to suggest that has some profound effects. And, most importantly, seems to be very well tolerated at reasonable dosages.

Another one that I have, but currently don't take is berberine. Another supplement that has proven effects (statin like). Sadly I suspect it gives me stomach issues and I'm waiting to get some bloodwork done before trying to incorporate it in a way that doesn't cause issues.

Fish oil - dry eye. Mostly on this one I trust my ophthalmologist. Some winters dry eye kills me.

As far as taurine there are a number of studies out there. You're right in that there may not be the large scale human study, but there is enough to suggest that has some profound effects. And, most importantly, seems to be very well tolerated at reasonable dosages.

Another one that I have, but currently don't take is berberine. Another supplement that has proven effects (statin like). Sadly I suspect it gives me stomach issues and I'm waiting to get some bloodwork done before trying to incorporate it in a way that doesn't cause issues.
Good to learn about dry eyes. Of note, they mention the same omega 6:3 ratio I did in my post, therefore, reducing omega 6 consumption may have a similar effect.

The taurine stuff is interesting. Still, having done translational research earlier in my career, I know first hand how far bench and animal studies are from clinical utility.

But as far as I know, the risks of supplementation are low, so I can’t really fault you for taking a flyer on longevity.

I just noticed this, your avatar is kind of odd. Any particular reason you chose a picture of one of the men who conspired to kill President Lincoln?

My VO2Max is not good. But that is basically saying I need to be exercising and doing cardio, right?

I do feel like I am always tired and need something to boost my energy and metabolism without making me jittery. Is that taurine? Is that some hgh stimulant (if that is real)? Is that a testosterone thing?

Or just cut out sugar and booze (or booze one drink per week) and eat healthier in general and try to walk and exercise?

My VO2Max is not good. But that is basically saying I need to be exercising and doing cardio, right?

I do feel like I am always tired and need something to boost my energy and metabolism without making me jittery. Is that taurine? Is that some hgh stimulant (if that is real)? Is that a testosterone thing?

Or just cut out sugar and booze (or booze one drink per week) and eat healthier in general and try to walk and exercise?
The latter will benefit you more. But you really need a concrete plan, not just “eat healthier in general” and “try to walk and exercise”.

Commit to a specific diet, like DASH or Mediterranean. Eliminate processed food and alcohol (moderation is often too tough). Walk or jog 30 minutes daily, 5 or more days/week. Add some hills to get your HR up.

Increasing VO2 max is more difficult, as you really need high intensity exercise (~90%+ HR), typically with interval training. But you’re probably better off focussing on finding exercise you enjoy.

If you’re having other symptoms of low testosterone, like reduced libido, ED, enlarged breast tissue, loss of pubic hair, etc., by all means, get it evaluated by an endocrinologist vs. urologist. Don’t get involved with one of those boutique men’s health clinics. Also consider sleep apnea evaluation.

Last edited:

Increasing VO2 max is more difficult, as you really need high intensity exercise (~90%+ HR), typically with interval training. But you’re probably better off focussing on finding exercise you enjoy.

Depending on where you are on the scale any aerobic exercise will start to improve VO2Max. Heck, with how weights wear me out that will probably help, too - anything to get your heart working. At some point, yes, you have to really hit it to keep it going up, though.

Basically the science shows that your odds of all cause mortality plummet if you get into aerobic shape.

I'll have to find out what my VO2Max is. Not going to pay the outrageous lab fees, but will find some device to measure. Unfortunately, it looks like this is going to require me to get off my lazy *** and do some intensive cardio to improve it to get to the top 5%. And by some, I mean a lot!

Thanks for the book recommendation.

Unfortunately, the FDA is loaded with ulterior motives and really doesn't do much except (potentially) protect us from product lethality. We need an independent agency, one not funded by entities that profit from their research/advice. Never going to happen, but point being, unfortunately we'll never know which supplements are truly beneficial and which are garbage.

Unfortunately, the FDA is loaded with ulterior motives and really doesn't do much except (potentially) protect us from product lethality. We need an independent agency, one not funded by entities that profit from their research/advice. Never going to happen, but point being, unfortunately we'll never know which supplements are truly beneficial and which are garbage.
Given the results from supplements that have been studied, you’re probably better off eating a balanced diet, and assuming none of them work.

Depending on where you are on the scale any aerobic exercise will start to improve VO2Max. Heck, with how weights wear me out that will probably help, too - anything to get your heart working. At some point, yes, you have to really hit it to keep it going up, though.

Basically the science shows that your odds of all cause mortality plummet if you get into aerobic shape.
Losing weight will improve VO2 max too, as it’s weight-based. But if someone wants to get into the 95th percentile, they’re gonna need to do intense aerobic exercise.

NIH funded a huge study on memory and ginkgo biloba for prevention of dementia in the early 2000s. 6 years of followup, 3000+ participants, double-blind, placebo controlled. Great study. Conclusion: not effective. But the ginkgo proponents said things like wrong dose, blah, blah. The makers of prevagen and Neuriva don't want double-blind placebo-controlled studies.

I just noticed this, your avatar is kind of odd. Any particular reason you chose a picture of one of the men who conspired to kill President Lincoln?
I was impressed by his jail house photos. When I first saw them, I thought they were from a modern J. Crew catalog.

Thorne... it seemed to have very good reviews. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FH13PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I go to see my doctor on the 22nd and I have requested a blood draw before that appointment. As far as messing with the body's natural ability... I've been experimenting with substances known to be much more harmful than this since my college days.
Update?
Have you been taking taurine? How are you feeling? Noticing any changes?

Update?
No, I can't say that I really noticed any changes as far as how I feel. But I am a type 2 diabetic and my last A1C (tested last week) came in at a 5.5. And I've lost over 40lbs since March. But I'm also on Ozempic; I credit Ozempic with the weight loss. But I've been taking the taurine daily now since that last post.

I was impressed by his jail house photos. When I first saw them, I thought they were from a modern J. Crew catalog.
Some sort of consider that to be the birth of modern photography which is odd but it's definitely striking

Update?
No, I can't say that I really noticed any changes as far as how I feel. But I am a type 2 diabetic and my last A1C (tested last week) came in at a 5.5. And I've lost over 40lbs since March. But I'm also on Ozempic; I credit Ozempic with the weight loss. But I've been taking the taurine daily now since that last post.
My BP has dropped significantly from high to normal and I've lost 15 pounds as well...but also that came with some other lifestyle changes. But I am still taking because f it why not

I always associated Taurine with energy drinks and not good for the heart but in last month have seen some articles where Dr's are giving positive recommendations.
Started taking Fish oil in Jan and palpitations have been "eliminated". Told my cardiologist (Harvard Med) but he wasn't impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread