What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE C.J. Uzomah, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
ESPN Bengals reporter Katherine Terrell expects C.J. Uzomah to be Cincinnati's top tight end moving forward.

It's been about one calendar year since we last had a blurb on Uzomah, but he's now stepping into a promising spot in the Bengals' offense as a catch-first tight end. Terrell believes Uzomah has moved ahead of Tyler Kroft on the depth chart. Uzomah caught his lone target for a six-yard gain last week and flashed a bit in 2016 with 25 catches for 234 yards and a score, making eight starts. With where tight end is at in fantasy, Uzomah is on the fringe of start-able.

Source: Katherine Terrell on Twitter 

Oct 5 - 12:16 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 5 Waiver Wire Deep Dive: Fantasy tight end disaster

Excerpt:

C.J. Uzomah, TE, Cincinnati Bengals (99 percent available)

After Tyler Eifert (ankle) suffered another tough-luck, gruesome injury in Week 4 -- the Bengalsare back to their tight end by committee of previous years. Tyler Kroft led the committee without Eifert in 2017 and put up 8.9 FPG (TE14 in PPR), but C.J. Uzomah has run ahead of Kroft as the Bengals' No. 2 tight end so far. Per PFF, Uzomah has run 75 pass routes to Kroft's minuscule 25 routes in Weeks 1-4. If you're going to throw a waiver wire dart at a Bengals tight end, make it Uzomah.

Due to horrible TE play from Jordan Reed, I find myself here - what do I need to know? He looked good vs. Pittsburgh, but alot of TE's look good vs. PIT. 

With Kroft and Eifert likely out for the season, should I make a speculative add here? Looking for homer insight.

Not a homer, but given the opportunity and the schedule the next couple weeks (KC and Tampa before their bye) I think he's definitely worth an add. Given the carnage at TE this year, chances are he's in my lineup the next 2 weeks.

Due to horrible TE play from Jordan Reed, I find myself here - what do I need to know? He looked good vs. Pittsburgh, but alot of TE's look good vs. PIT. 

With Kroft and Eifert likely out for the season, should I make a speculative add here? Looking for homer insight.
Doesn't really require homer insight, imo. He's now the starting TE on a good team with a QB that has targeted TEs well throughout his career. Really shouldn't have been left on the wire heading into the very favorable PIT MU yesterday, but definitely worth an add. Starting over Reed is a bit more tricky... he had good target numbers but had VD poaching TDs. Probably stick with Reed based on QB history... we know Smith feeds TEs first and rarely stretches the field or goes outside the numbers to WRs. 

He's a warm body in the field with a good offense. That's all you need to be a starting fantasy TE right now.

C.J. Uzomah (shoulder) was limited at Wednesday's practice.

Uzomah's shoulder injury isn't thought to be serious. At a thin fantasy position, Uzomah will have streaming appeal Sunday night against a bottom-rung Chiefs secondary.

Source: Jay Morrison on Twitter 

Oct 17 - 4:11 PM

C.J. Uzomah - TE -  Bengals

C.J. Uzomah caught two passes for 13 yards and a touchdown in Week 7 against the Chiefs.

Uzomah caught Andy Dalton's only touchdown on a play that capped off a 77-yard second quarter drive. It was his only notable play of the night. Uzomah has been a plug-and-play TE1 since Tyler Eifert went down. He has a plus matchup with the Bucs in Week 8.

Oct 21 - 11:56 PM

Anyone watching the Raiders/Bengals game and know if this shlub is even on the field today taking full advantage of the cake match up. Haven't seen him catch a pass but two other TE's for the Bengals being targeted.

Starting for the Bengals this season, any feeling as to if he can be a quality te2?
I'm actually excited to see what the Bengals do offensively with Burrow.  Their offensive line ranked around 29 however and that could be good news for their TE if he's more of an outlet for a scrambling Burrow, not sure.  I believe TE2 is a good goal for his owners.  He probably will be a decent streaming TE against bad defenses. 

Bengals TE C.J. Uzomah was carted from Thursday's game against the Browns with a right Achilles' tendon injury. 

Uh oh. Uzomah was fighting for a first down on a critical fourth quarter drive when something gave way. Uzomah instantly knew something was wrong, immediately removing his helmet. He was carted a few minutes later. Replays showed his foot twinging. A torn Achilles' tendon would, of course, end Uzomah's season. It will be Drew Sample the rest of the way. Uzomah had four scores for 42 yards and a score before going down. He found the space between the corner and the safety, and Joe Burrow delivered a beautiful pass.  

Sep 17, 2020, 11:13 PM ET

suspected torn Achilles

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news/headlines/9766896

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports the Bengals believe C.J. Uzomah has a torn Achilles.

He’ll get an MRI to confirm. Uzomah was carted off and quickly ruled out in Thursday night's loss. It's looking like his season is over after two games. 2019 second-rounder Drew Sample replaced Uzomah in Week 2 and is expected to take over the starting role.

To the waiver it seems he should go.  In other news Drew Sample got some action and had 1 really nice one handed grab.  He got my attention, but not sure if he gets all those targets CJ Uzomah was getting.

To the waiver it seems he should go.  In other news Drew Sample got some action and had 1 really nice one handed grab.  He got my attention, but not sure if he gets all those targets CJ Uzomah was getting.
I feel bad for Uzomah, but this could be addition by subtraction for the Bengals offense. Sample feels better suited for the offense, he has better hands, and is a better blocker. He doesn't have Uzomah's downfield ability, but they have plenty of WRs to do that. 

This could be Everett/Higbee lite from a year ago, especially if Burrow has to keep throwing 50+ times.

Burrow managed to get the ball to 9 different receivers.  Sample's 1st year was uninspired but he did rise to the occasion last night.  He had an extremely low number of catches in college (especially given how early the Bengals drafted him).  That said, he was getting endzone looks and seems to have a good rapport with Burrow and clearly has improved.  I don't we'te talking Eifert in prime type stuff here but in a deep league maybe a servicable plug in/bye week type dude.

-QG

*plays taps*

Thanks Uz.  Will always remember you for the one game I started you when you scored and then died.

Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said 50 receptions for TE C.J. Uzomah is realistic this season. 

For context, Jimmy Graham's 50 catches in 2020 were the 14th most among all tight ends. Callahan, meanwhile, has a strange fascination with five Bengals pass catchers recording 50 grabs this season. The Athletic's Jay Morrison said Joe Burrow "established an immediate connection" with Uzomah in 2020, as the tight end saw five targets in Week 1 and six looks in Week 2 before going down with a season-ending Achilles injury in the first half. Drew Sample started the rest of the season for Cincinnati and ran the 12th most tight end routes on his way to a miserable 4.9 PPR points per game. Uzomah, 28, has been fully cleared and is expected to be a full go for training camp. He should be a popular late-round target in the Bengals' pass-heavy offense. 

RELATED: 

Drew Sample

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 10, 2021, 4:00 PM ET

before @Faust does the game blurb I just wanted to throw this out there:

C.J. Uzomah the 1st 3 games: 5 targets, 4 receptions for 39 yards, 0 TDs as the offense has become surprisingly run-heavy, seemingly trying to protect Joe Burrow. One of the TDs he scored came on a broken play as he ran a rub route, stood aimlessly for 3 seconds then was like "Oh shoot I can stillz be passcatcher person!", ran across the field on a cross and once he caught it, immediately turned up field for the score.

Be responsible bidding on this guy, people :mellow:

C.J. Uzomah caught 5-of-6 targets for 95 yards and two touchdowns in the Bengals' Week 4 win over the Jaguars. 

With Tee Higgins missing another game with his shoulder issue, Uzomah stepped up as Joe Burrow's No. 3 passing-game weapon, posting the first two-score game of his seven-year career and besting his previous best yardage total by 29. Uzomah scored on plays of 22 and 31 yards, looking impossible to tackle in the open field on both occasions. For the first, he caught a perfectly-lofted ball from Burrow. For the second, he got open on a scramble drill and rumbled down the field. The Bengals could certainly use more production from the seam, but tonight hardly seems likely to be the start of a TE2 trend for Uzomah. He does have a plus Week 5 matchup in a Packers defense surrendering the third most tight end fantasy points through three weeks. 

Sep 30, 2021, 11:44 PM ET

I don't think Higgins being out effects Uzomah's play, I just think it was Uzomah's night to have a big night. I wouldn't bid much in FAAB as these types of games will be rare but I do think he will be more involved in the pass game as Burrow gets more comfortable moving forward. Bengals haven't released the reigns on Burrow yet with his recovery from his knee injury. Uzomah played great last year before his injury, he was a pivotal part of the pass game (albeit without Chase, an old man AJ Green and a rookie Higgins).  

I don't think Higgins being out effects Uzomah's play, I just think it was Uzomah's night to have a big night. I wouldn't bid much in FAAB as these types of games will be rare but I do think he will be more involved in the pass game as Burrow gets more comfortable moving forward. Bengals haven't released the reigns on Burrow yet with his recovery from his knee injury. Uzomah played great last year before his injury, he was a pivotal part of the pass game (albeit without Chase, an old man AJ Green and a rookie Higgins).  
Played great last year...didn't he only play 1 game? lol

Firing him up in a shootout 
I’m a fan. Even if he doesn’t score I like him to have a floor of 4/50-Ish. PPR dart throw, but I doubt he’s any less involved than that. GB’s secondary is kind of a mess right now so there could be a lot of points in this game if Burrow can keep up with ARod. 

C.J. Uzomah caught all three of his targets for 95 yards and two touchdowns in the Bengals' Week 7 win against the Ravens. 

Uzomah bullied Ravens defenders on a 55-yard first half touchdown from Joe Burrow and scored in the second half on a short throw from Burrow. Uzomah is the latest tight end to thrive against Baltimore's shoddy linebacker pass coverage. He proved a godsend for fantasy managers who picked him up as a bye week replacement. Don't let Uzomah's big Week 7 stat line fool you though -- he remains a touchdown dependent fantasy play as the fourth pass-catching option in the Cincinnati offense. 

Oct 25, 2021, 10:16 AM ET

He runs a lot of routes per snap, according to PFF. That's why I picked him up and started him. He might not see the targets, but he's running routes, and that's the main thing for a tight end.

He just won me a dynasty match-up on a team I have that is awful. Godsend.

C.J. Uzomah (knee) said he's hopeful he can return for the Super Bowl against the Rams. 

Uzomah exited the AFC Championship game after a frightening knee injury that was later deemed an MCL sprain. He was carted to the locker room and returned to the sideline in a brace covering the length of his leg. It would be something of a surprise if he's able to suit up against the Rams in two weeks. Drew Sample would presumably start at tight end for the Bengals and Tyler Boyd -- who saw six targets Sunday against Kansas City -- would likely see an uptick in targets as a middle-of-the-field option. 

RELATED: 

Drew Sample

, Tyler Boyd

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Jan 31, 2022, 8:20 AM ET

Bengals TE C.J. Uzomah (knee) told reporters, "I'm not missing the biggest game of my life."

Uzomah said that he is considered day-to-day, adding that if his knee is a little sore on game day "it's go time." His status in practice will need to be monitored but all signs point to Uzomah playing through his sprained MCL. He suffered the injury in the AFC Championship and was unable to return. Uzomah posted a 13/135/1 receiving line in the opening two rounds of the playoffs, acting as a safety valve for Joe Burrow, who was forced to look his way because of pressure. If Uzomah suits up, he will be a solid PPR option and a decent bet to find the end zone in the final game of the year.

SOURCE: Mike Petraglia

Feb 7, 2022, 11:59 AM ET

C.J. Uzomah caught 2-of-2 targets for 11 yards in the Bengals' Super Bowl LVI loss to the Rams. 

Returning from a 2020 torn Achilles’ tendon, 29-year-old Uzomah surprisingly turned in a career year, catching 49 balls for 493 yards and five touchdowns as he provided big plays down the seam with all-world wideouts Ja’Marr Chase and Tee Higgins commanding attention on the perimeter. It seemed Uzomah’s year would again end in injury ruin when he suffered a knee ailment in the AFC Championship Game, but he rehabbed like a madman to be ready for Super Bowl LVI. Now headed to free agency, Uzomah will probably be most highly valued by the Bengals, but there is still no guarantee he is brought back ahead of what will be his age-30 campaign, especially considering his recent injury history. 2021-22 will almost certainly go down as his career year. 

- NBCSportsEDGE

Jets signed TE C.J. Uzomah, formerly of the Bengals, to a three-year, $24 million contract. 

That's a lot of coin for a 29-year-old whose 493-yard 2021 was a new career best campaign. Uzomah also missed most of 2020 with a torn ACL and suffered a knee injury in the AFC Championship Game. He managed to suit up through that one. It is still an understandable gamble for a cap-flush team with longtime issues up the seam. Uzomah has a penchant for big plays and has a massive frame in the red zone. It is unlikely to translate to TE1 fantasy value, but Uzomah will be a useful target for sophomore QB Zach Wilson. 

RELATED: 

Cincinnati Bengals

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 14, 2022, 6:59 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread