What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Cade Otton, TB (1 Viewer)

CamelGod

Footballguy
Had him on my radar before Gronk "retired". Brady seemed to develop some trust with Brate last year in the games that Gronk was out, but do we see him carving out a role here? Anything to see when Brady is gone next year?

Saw this blurb a bit earlier:

SiriusXM's Shane Vereen expects Bucs TE Cade Otton to be "one of the top rookie pass catchers."

"He is that good. He was a great college tight end. And I think he has the smarts to get on the same page in a Tom Brady offense. I think he’s going to surprise a lot of people,” said Vereen, who covers Pac-12 games as a TV analyst and played with Brady for four years in New England. Otton has yet to practice with the Bucs as he recovers from November ankle surgery. The fourth-round rookie never reached his full potential in college due to injuries, but with Rob Gronkowski retired, there's a path for Otton to step into Gronkowski's role on early downs, with Cameron Brate remaining in the No. 2 role.

SOURCE: SiriusXM NFL

Jun 25, 2022, 9:44 AM ET

Stats at Washington:

*2018 8games 13rec 174yards 3TD
*2019 11games 32rec 344yards 2TD
2020 4games 18rec 258yards 3TD
2021 8games 28rec 250yards 1TD

Career 91rec 1026yards 9TD

Last edited by a moderator:
Had him on my radar before Gronk "retired".

Brady

seemed to develop some trust with

Brate

last year in the games that Gronk was out, but do we see him carving out a role here? Anything to see when

Brady

is gone next year?

Saw this blurb a bit earlier:

Stats at

Washington

:

*2018 8games 13rec 174yards 3TD
*2019 11games 32rec 344yards 2TD
2020 4games 18rec 258yards 3TD
2021 8games 28rec 250yards 1TD

Career 91rec 1026yards 9TD
Not that impressive for 31 games.

Brady seemed to develop some trust with Brate last year in the games that Gronk was out, but do we see him carving out a role here?
Actually Brate was pretty worthless the 6 games that Gronk was out but his production during that time seems to have taken on a life of it's own,  seemingly a false one because what you are saying here you are not alone in saying.

I like Otton but he's way behind the 8 ball, a rookie TE whose been dealing with injury recovery all offseason and not able to fully train or participate in any practice. Had he not been injured he likely would have gone even higher in the draft. Even with him needing to have a lot of catch up time if I was going to buy a Tampa TE I'd rather pay the cost for Otton, which is to say the last pick or so of a draft, then pay for Brate at his cost.

His testing is not promising. Seems like the great TEs are running in that 4.5-4.68 range these days. 

Kittle's testing: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/george-kittle/

Andrews's testing: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/mark-andrews/

Kelce's testing: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/travis-kelce/

Waller's testing: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/darren-waller/

These guys all have speed scores over the 85th percentile, if not way more. They're big and really fast. Otton ran about a 4.78, according to one source. 

Dunno. Never seen him play, and it couldn't hurt, but I personally wouldn't waste the roster spot at this point. 

His testing is not promising. Seems like the great TEs are running in that 4.5-4.68 range these days. 

Otton ran about a 4.78, according to one source. 

He only did the bench press because he's been recovering from ankle surgery all off-season.

Saying that he's probably not a dynamic athlete. I think of his athletic comps versus somewhat other successful TE's like Rudolph, Kmet, Henry, Schultz, Witten type from way back. That kind of athlete.

Bucs.com's Scott Smith considers rookie Cade Otton the "best option" to be the team's No. 1 tight end this season.

The Bucs drafted Otton, who missed offseason workouts recovering from ankle surgery, as a hedge to Rob Gronkowski's retirement. With Gronkowski not returning, there's "potential for him to be the tight end the Bucs keep on the field most," according to Smith. Bucs TE Cameron Brate averaged under four targets and 70% of snaps in three starts for Gronkowski last year and is an inferior blocker to Otton, an everydown tight end and Day 1 starter at Washington. Otton will be eight months removed from surgery for the start of training camp.

SOURCE: bucs.com
Jun 26, 2022, 10:29 AM ET

Opportunity > Talent? At least until they sign Jimmy Graham. 

Not so sure I would be comparing those two.  At least compare him to another TE.
The point of the post was college stats don’t necessarily equate to what NFL production will be.  Kamara was the first player that came to mind. 

Grabbed him with the last (4.12) pick of my most recent rookie draft.  Was probably best available considering all I really have is Baby Gronk. 

Cade Otton caught 2-of-3 targets for 23 yards in the Bucs' Week 6 loss to the Steelers.

One of Otton's missed connections was a would-be touchdown on a deflected pass. The two-catch day came as Cameron Brate, who just returned from a concussion, suffered a second half neck injury. Brate's health misfortunes could lock Otton in as a low-end TE2 in this high-volume passing attack for the foreseeable future.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Cade Otton caught 4-of-5 targets for 64 yards in Tampa's Week 7 loss to the Panthers.

He had the longest catch of the day for Tampa, a 35-yard play-action post in the fourth quarter on a catch-and-run. He also was the target on Tom Brady's last pass of the day, a fourth-and-7 ball over the middle where he tripped mid-route. Otton has been heavily-involved in every game that Cameron Brate has missed, and the smart money is that he remains a decent low-end TE1/streamer in Week 8 against the Ravens.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Cameron Brate (neck) is out for Week 8 against the Ravens.​

Cade Otton, who ran the league's second most tight end routes in Week 7 against the Panthers and caught four passes for 64 yards, is a superb streaming option against Baltimore with Brate sidelined. He should be started in 12-team leagues this week.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter
Oct 26, 2022, 12:17 PM ET

Cade Otton caught 6-of-10 targets for 28 yards and one touchdown in the Buccaneers' Week 13 win over the Saints.​

Otton drew the start after fellow tight end Cameron Brate was ruled a surprise inactive with an illness after practicing in full on Saturday. He was busy around the line of scrimmage as a safety valve for Tom Brady against an aggressive New Orleans front, which allowed Brady little time to throw all game. Otton should return to a timeshare at the tight end position once Brate returns to health, which is likely to be the case in time for a Week 14 visit to San Francisco.
Dec 5, 2022, 11:47 PM ET

This kid looks the part...it appears Brady trusts him which is a big statement since he has buried many a rookie in his career...nice TE to have in Dynasty.

Cade Otton caught 4-of-5 targets for 58 yards in the Bucs' Wild Card Round loss to the Cowboys.​

Otton got some buzz in the offseason as a potential receiving weapon for Tom Brady, and the hype turned out to have some legs. The rookie opened the season as a rotational player but quickly took on a larger role. An injury to Cameron Brate kept Otton in a full-time role during the second half of the season. He ultimately led all rookie tight ends in receptions (42) and finished top-five in yards (391) and touchdowns (two). If Brate is cut in the spring, Otton will likely enter the 2023 season as a popular sleeper based on his quietly productive rookie campaign.
Jan 17, 2023, 12:47 AM ET

I think this kid is someone to target in Dynasty and I don’t think he will cost too much…he looked pretty good as a rookie last year…not saying he is going to be a big time #1 but I do think he can turn into a high-end #2 or a low-end #1…Tampa has a chance to be a mess this year and if that happens it will be interesting to see if he benefits from with getting a whole bunch of garbage time points.

I think this kid is someone to target in Dynasty and I don’t think he will cost too much…he looked pretty good as a rookie last year…not saying he is going to be a big time #1 but I do think he can turn into a high-end #2 or a low-end #1…Tampa has a chance to be a mess this year and if that happens it will be interesting to see if he benefits from with getting a whole bunch of garbage time points.

Garbage time + dump offs with some less than exciting QBs. Agree Otton feels like a much better fantasy player than skills/NFL player.

Do you guys think Cotton would get a big boost if Evans gets traded? He'd likely be the 2nd option in the passing game behind Godwin, unless another WR is coming back in the deal. Could be a pretty solid option in PPR.

Do you guys think Cotton would get a big boost if Evans gets traded? He'd likely be the 2nd option in the passing game behind Godwin, unless another WR is coming back in the deal. Could be a pretty solid option in PPR.
I don't see them trading Evans, but if they did I also wouldn't expect Otton's target share to change. It would probably hurt his production overall.

Cade Otton caught 2-of-3 targets for 19 yards in the Buccaneers’ Week 1 win over the Vikings.

Otton caught both of his passes in the second half against the Vikings in Week 1. Mayfield split his tight end targets between Otton and Ko Kieft to begin the season. Otton will be a start-only-if-necessary tight end in Week 2 against the Bears.

- Rotoworld

Buccaneers tight end Cade Otton played 97% of the team’s snaps on Sunday, more than any non quarterback or offensive lineman.
We knew Otton was on the field a lot in Week 1, but the official snap counts made it even clearer just how essential he is to the Bucs’ offense. Offensive coordinator Dave Canales has previously said Otton is a Swiss army knife, and it’s pretty clear that he trusts the tight end in any type of formation. With Otton seeing this much time on the field, it’s only a matter of time before the results follow, especially if the Bucs are down as much as we expect this year. He is firmly among the sleeper tight end crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread