What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Darren Waller, NYG (2 Viewers)

Local beat writers seem to think he's playing this week.

Vincent Bonsignore@VinnyBonsignore

33m
Just an FYI: The latest hamstring issue Darren Waller was dealing with was not the same leg as the one during camp. He's feeling good now, looking forward to getting on the field Sunday with the @Raiders

Another limited practice today for Waller. That almost certainly means he's playing Sunday. With the state of the TE position, and Kelce being on bye, it's hard not to think of Waller as a top-5 TE this week, against a really down bad Saints defense.

Shocked he's out again. Very rare a guy has 3 practices and sits. Now I'm a little nervous he may have aggravated it, ala Keenan Allen.

Is anyone starting this guy if the Raiders clear him to play sunday? Over other low end TE 1's like Hurst, Knox or Gesicki ?

Is anyone starting this guy if the Raiders clear him to play sunday? Over other low end TE 1's like Hurst, Knox or Gesicki ?
Starting with zero confidence if he’s active, more than likely. Mainly because I hate burning another roster spot on a middling TE.

N
Nope. Been carrying Taysom Hill and he’ll be getting the nod regardless of Wallers status. I need to see him get through a game and actually be in synch. He was garbage before he started missing games.

100%. In a week where Andrews is likely out, Hockenson is in his 1st week with a new team, and Kittle is on bye, the only guys I'm starting over Waller would be Kelce, and Ertz...and Goedert but he already played. Jags are a great matchup too.

Waller had some awful luck but could easily have had 5 TDs in the first 4 games without any play calling or target changes.

100%. In a week where Andrews is likely out, Hockenson is in his 1st week with a new team, and Kittle is on bye, the only guys I'm starting over Waller would be Kelce, and Ertz...and Goedert but he already played. Jags are a great matchup too.

Waller had some awful luck but could easily have had 5 TDs in the first 4 games without any play calling or target changes.
I have Engram in over Waller right now.

I have Engram in over Waller right now.
Well, according to Schefter, Waller is likely out again, so its probably moot anyway.

My previous post instantly aged poorly.

he`s milking it as the season is pretty much in the dumpster and he already got paid

what a wasted FF pick he was

he`s milking it as the season is pretty much in the dumpster and he already got paid
I seriously doubt that's the case. More than likely, they are seeing what is/has happened with Keenan Allen and are trying to avoid something like that.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Packers "made a strong run at Raiders star tight end Darren Waller."​

The Raiders ultimately decided Waller was too valuable to deal and nixed the trade talks. In a follow-up Tweet, Rapoport added that the Packers also looked into acquiring D.J. Moore from the Panthers. Previous reports noted Green Bay matched Chicago's offer of a second-round pick for Chase Claypool. Per usual, the Packers' efforts to get Aaron Rodgers extra pass-catching help came up short. Expect them to explore other options in the offseason, though there's no guarantee Rodgers is with the team beyond this year.

I seriously doubt that's the case. More than likely, they are seeing what is/has happened with Keenan Allen and are trying to avoid something like that.
maybe ,maybe not but he wasnt playing hard when he was healthy earlier this season ,so we`ll see how hard he plays when he comes back ...IF he comes back

You can probably stop rostering him now. He's officially on IR. Guessing he pulled a Keenan Allen and re-injured his hamstring.

His owners are fighting frustration from continuing to roster this dude. I would say he's "quiet quitting", but he's not even reaching that threshold of effort.

Guess I spoke too soon. Dude is "quiet quitting" for real. Got paid this summer and pulled a Michael Thomas. At least we can finally cut him.

Does anyone really anticipate him being ready to play by week 14? Raiders season will be firmly down the toilet drain by then (already kind of is) and likely will be full on tank mode. And his matchups in week 16 and 17 are bad regardless on the off-chance he actually decides to suit up those games. The dude is an easy drop at this point.

Last edited:

His owners are fighting frustration from continuing to roster this dude. I would say he's "quiet quitting", but he's not even reaching that threshold of effort.

Guess I spoke too soon. Dude is "quiet quitting" for real. Got paid this summer and pulled a Michael Thomas. At least we can finally cut him.

Does anyone really anticipate him being ready to play by week 14? Raiders season will be firmly down the toilet drain by then (already kind of is) and likely will be full on tank mode. And his matchups in week 15 and 16 are bad regardless on the off-chance he actually decides to suit up those games. The dude is an easy drop at this point.
If you have an IR spot doesnt hurt to throw him there but for the majority of people hes an easy drop. I have Chase and a soon to be Allen occupying my IR spot.

He’s been super frustrating. Got him in Scott Fish bowl. Have him in a competitive PPR keeper, that I got him in like the 6th round. Didn’t expect him to be the guy from a couple of years ago—but thought he’d be a solid fantasy TE.

Raiders head coach Josh McDaniels said he's unsure of whether or not Darren Waller (hamstring) will play in Week 14.​

Waller is eligible to come off injured reserve after Week 13, but with the Raiders playing on Thursday night in Week 14, the short week could keep him sidelined for at least one more game. McDaniels did note that Waller and teammate Hunter Renfrow (oblique) are "close" to a return, but it sounds like neither is a guarantee to play next week.
Nov 30, 2022, 3:46 PM ET

Raiders head coach Josh McDaniels said he's unsure of whether or not Darren Waller (hamstring) will play in Week 14.​

Waller is eligible to come off injured reserve after Week 13, but with the Raiders playing on Thursday night in Week 14, the short week could keep him sidelined for at least one more game. McDaniels did note that Waller and teammate Hunter Renfrow (oblique) are "close" to a return, but it sounds like neither is a guarantee to play next week.
Nov 30, 2022, 3:46 PM ET
if the Raiders need to win out for any sliver of hope to make the playoffs then he should 100 % play , if they lose even 1 game they should shut it down

ESPN's Paul Gutierrez reports that Darren Waller (hamstring/IR) is "on track" to come off injured reserve for Week 15 against the Patriots.​

Waller will have missed roughly 10 weeks of action at that point, but with the Raiders suddenly surging, it makes sense for him to work his way back in for the final month of action. Waller has a 16/175/1 line in five games this season -- one of which he left after just eight snaps. Given the state of the tight end position in fantasy football right now, even a just-off-IR Waller strikes us as a good play.
SOURCE: Paul Gutierrez on Twitter
Dec 6, 2022, 5:49 PM ET

ESPN's Paul Gutierrez reports that Darren Waller (hamstring/IR) is "on track" to come off injured reserve for Week 15 against the Patriots.​

Waller will have missed roughly 10 weeks of action at that point, but with the Raiders suddenly surging, it makes sense for him to work his way back in for the final month of action. Waller has a 16/175/1 line in five games this season -- one of which he left after just eight snaps. Given the state of the tight end position in fantasy football right now, even a just-off-IR Waller strikes us as a good play.
I’ll take my chances with Dulcich

Darren Waller (hamstring) is active for Week 15 against the Patriots.​

As is Hunter Renfrow (oblique). Both were activated off injured reserve on Saturday. Sidelined since Week 5, Waller had yet to find his footing in new coach Josh McDaniels' offense before going down. Despite his pedigree and history of high-end fantasy production, we would consider Waller more of a TE2 than TE1 for his return as we wait to see how McDaniels divvies up touches between Davante Adams, Waller, Renfrow and Mack Hollins.
Dec 18, 2022, 2:38 PM ET

Darren Waller caught 3-of-4 targets for 48 yards and a touchdown in the Raiders' Week 15 win over the Patriots.​

Active for the first time since Week 5, Waller's targets were a season low, though the touchdown was his second in six contests under Josh McDaniels. Waller broke free down the seam in the second quarter and hauled in a perfect Derek Carr target for a 25-yard score. A highlight, though Waller later had a lowlight when he accidentally broke up what would have been a long, important Davante Adams gain. Yet to find his stride in McDaniels' offense and still knocking off the rust from a long layoff, Waller will find himself on the TE1/2 borderline for Week 16 against the Steelers.
Dec 18, 2022, 9:30 PM ET

Greg Dulcich caught 1-of-2 targets for 11 yards in the Broncos' Week 15 win over the Cardinals.

ouch, sorry buddy​

Greg Dulcich caught 1-of-2 targets for 11 yards in the Broncos' Week 15 win over the Cardinals.​

ouch, sorry buddy​

Will win despite him

Greg Dulcich caught 1-of-2 targets for 11 yards in the Broncos' Week 15 win over the Cardinals.​

ouch, sorry buddy​

Will win despite him
Thats great news

Darren Waller caught 3-of-5 targets for 72 yards and a touchdown in the Raiders' Week 17 loss to the 49ers.​

Waller also drew a crucial defensive pass interference call in the end zone late in the fourth quarter. The penalty gave Las Vegas 18 yards and a fresh set of downs on the one-yard line. Josh Jacobs punched the ball into the end zone on the next play. Waller hasn't seen as many targets with Davante Adams in the lineup, but he gets high-value shots downfield. He will be a boom/bust TE1 heading into Week 18 against the Chiefs.
Jan 1, 2023, 8:50 PM ET

Giants acquired TE Darren Waller from the Raiders in exchange for the 100th overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.

After laying low on the first day of free agency, the Giant came through with a splash on Day 2 when they acquired Waller from the Raiders in exchange for the 100th overall pick, which was acquired from the Chiefs in the Kadarius Toney trade. Waller burst on the scene with back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons in 2019 and 2020 but has totaled just 83-1053-5 in 20 games over the last two seasons. Waller is one of the best receiving tight ends in the league when healthy, but staying on the field has proved challenging for the soon-to-be 31-year-old tight end. Still, Waller would have been the best pass-catching option on the Giants last season and is an immediate upgrade for the offense.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 14, 2023 at 2:30 PM ET

i'm fine with it. frees up a good amount of cap space.

he had one really great year, one really good year. and not much else, besides injury, drama and rap songs(while injured)

That seems cheap for Waller, despite a not great 2022, hate it from an IRL standpoint but having both Waller and Moreau in dynasty I don't mind it
As a Waller owner, I love it. Danny dimes isn’t great but he should be able to use the receiving TE when Waller is actually healthy.

Very good move by the Giants. They going with a to multi-TE system now I guess; they resigned Lawrence Cager (WR-turned-TE) and apparently staff was high on him. Interestingly enough, this probably makes Daniel Bellinger the blocking TE in this system now. Waller would be the move TE and Cager 2nd move/line up at WR guy. Oh btw:

'

RENAME THE THREAD @Snorkelson !

RENAME.
THE.
THREAD.

As a Waller owner no idea if this is a positive or negative. Now if Irv Smith Jr could just catch fire in a different situation.

Users who are viewing this thread