What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Irv Smith Jr. - KC (2 Viewers)

Not much to see here. After going from Tyler Eifert to C.J. Uzomah to Drew Sample back to Uzomah to Hayden Hurst and now to Irv Smith Jr., it looks likely the Bengals will be back to the drawing board at TE next offseason. It’s still early but it’s not looking promising for Irv. May just be another Trey Burton (though Irv would be fortunate to match Burton’s 2018 season).

Not much to see here. After going from Tyler Eifert to C.J. Uzomah to Drew Sample back to Uzomah to Hayden Hurst and now to Irv Smith Jr., it looks likely the Bengals will be back to the drawing board at TE next offseason. It’s still early but it’s not looking promising for Irv. May just be another Trey Burton (though Irv would be fortunate to match Burton’s 2018 season).
Drafted Eifert in a rookie draft years ago with high expectations. Thought he would be an annual 60-70 catch guy playing with Carson Palmer in his prime. Could not stay healthy and was never able to put it together. I seem to remember EBF touting Eifert as an uber TE prospect despite the protests of others who thought he was too high on him... I had already drafted him, so didn't affect me either way. But it always felt more like he was trying to speak it into happening than reality. One of those where he was going to die on that hill because he felt so strongly about his evaluation.

Uzomah had a brief blip of TD relevance one season but you always knew he was more of a blocking, in-line TE who was at least a decent red zone target because of his size and athleticism.

I think Hurst deserves a little more credit. He was a playable TE1 for at least one season during his time in Cincy. You knew the upside wasn't great. But he had a solid floor with Burrow, et al as his possession target/safety valve and when he scored a TD he was a solid TE1. Unfortunately, he had little juice and what he had appeared to diminish this past season. I think injuries took their toll with him as well.

Signed Irv last season thinking he might be a post hype sleeper in a wide open Vikings passing attack... but alas, he couldn't stay healthy either. Put a nominal bid in for him again this year for the same reason (talent, situation) but only as my TE2 and was ok when I was outbid. What little faith I had has slowly waned.

Last edited:
Drafted Eifert in a rookie draft years ago with high expectations. Thought he would be an annual 60-70 catch guy playing with Carson Palmer in his prime. Could not stay healthy and was never able to put it together. I seem to remember EBF touting Eifert as an uber TE prospect despite the protests of others who thought he was too high on him... I had already drafted him, so didn't affect me either way. But it always felt more like he was trying to speak it into happening than reality. One of those where he was going to die on that hill because he felt so strongly about his evaluation.

Uzomah had a brief blip of TD relevance one season but you always knew he was more of a blocking, in-line TE who was at least a decent red zone target because of his size.

I think Hurst deserves a little more credit. He was a playable TE1 for at least one season during his time in Cincy. You knew the upside wasn't great. But he had a solid floor with Burrow, et al as his possession target/safety valve and when he scored a TD he was a solid TE1. Unfortunately, he had little juice and what he had appeared to diminish this past season. I think injuries took their toll with him as well.

Signed Irv last season thinking he might be a post hype sleeper in a wide open Vikings passing attack... but alas, he couldn't stay healthy either. Put a nominal bid in for him again this year for the same reason (talent, situation) but only as my TE2 and was ok when I was outbid. What little faith I had has slowly waned.
Yeah I remember that and Eifert was a quality prospect but yeah EBF was a bit over the moon about him.

The TE position does deal with a lot of injuries. So to have one who can actually stay healthy is remarkable in itself. Lots of very good ones have been derailed by injuries. Many before they could even get started.

Irv is doubtful so shouldnt play in this game but maybe he can come back at some point this season yet. Just have to wait and see.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Chiefs have agreed to terms with TE Irv Smith, formerly of the Bengals, on a one-year deal.
Smith, after managing just 18 catches in 12 games with the Bengals in 2023, will function as Kansas City’s TE2 behind Travis Kelce. Smith was dead last among tight ends in yards per route run last year and struggled with a serious ankle injury. Smith, a former second-round pick by the Vikings, would only have fantasy value if Kelce were to mis time in 2024.

Users who are viewing this thread