What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Irv Smith Jr. - KC (2 Viewers)

Conklin to the Jets.

Renewed interest in Irv Smith anyone?
Its going to be hard to be as bullish on him as I have been the last 2 seasons, anticipating a break out.

Still could happen though. I have seen the signs of greatness from him. The training camp hype on Smith has been enormous in Vikings circles.

That is what is going to be difficult though. He has been a huge tease for 2 years now, hard to reach for him a 3rd year in a row after that, although I do think it could still happen.

I have Irv Smith as my 2nd TE in one FFPC TE Premium league, behind last year's waiver wire gem, Dalton Schultz.

I think Irv's the perfect upside backup TE who maybe finally turns into something, or he becomes pretty droppable a few weeks into the season if he is heathy and is playing but still not putting up stats. Solid HOLD. 

Irv Smith (knee) is participating in OTAs this week and was seen running routes at "almost full speed" in 11-on-11 drills.

Smith is still working his way back from a torn meniscus that cost him all of 2021. The Vikings are taking it slow with Smith, likely eyeing to cut him loose in training camp. But observers have noted Smith looks very close to 100 percent, even if the team isn't letting him do team drills. Smith turns 24 in August and has the starting job back in his lap with Tyler Conklin signing with the Jets. Smith has a path to easy TE1 numbers as long as he's healthy.

SOURCE: Sam Ekstrom on Twitter

May 18, 2022, 1:46 PM ET

I have Irv Smith as my 2nd TE in one FFPC TE Premium league, behind last year's waiver wire gem, Dalton Schultz.

I think Irv's the perfect upside backup TE who maybe finally turns into something, or he becomes pretty droppable a few weeks into the season if he is heathy and is playing but still not putting up stats. Solid HOLD. 
I have Irv Smith as my TE1  (also have Arnold, Trautman, Jelani Woods, Blake Bell).  He better reach his upside.  I am counting on it.   hahah

I need him this year, couldnt get anything in my rookie/FA draft, took Taysom Hill, but thats not making me feel good.   Fant is my other TE, but again, not feeling it with whoever the QB is there, even if they add Mayfield.   Hopefully I can get by with Smitty and Fant.

I guess good luck with that.  I’d highly doubt anyone is going to give him away. 
Agreed. Other owners, like me, have been holding him on IR waiting for him to finally have a chance to show what he can do, and we’re on the doorstep of that moment, so I ain’t selling for what others likely want to pay for a “hurt TE”.

I guess good luck with that.  I’d highly doubt anyone is going to give him away. 
I was after him earlier this off season ....  had to pay a higher price than I expected, but I am happy. Depends on what you are willing to give & get.  

I gave up 1.12 and I got Irv and 2023 2nd (expected to be early 2.02 - 2.04 range)

The Athletic's Chad Graff reports Irv Smith was a full participant at Vikings minicamp.

Smith (knee) has been eased back from a torn meniscus he suffered in early September that brought his 2021 to an end but appears for training camp. Last offseason, Smith was expected to be in line for a breakout campaign after going for 30-365-5 in 2020 on just 43 targets. Instead, it was backup tight end Tyler Conklin who emerged for 61-593-3 and ranked 12th among tight ends in targets (86) in Smith's absence. With Conklin now on the Jets, 2022 could shape up as the year Smith finally breaks out. Newly minted head coach Kevin O'Connell has already expressed interest in making Smith a focal point of the offense, which could be enough to yield top-12 PPR upside.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 18, 2022, 3:44 PM ET

Agreed. Other owners, like me, have been holding him on IR waiting for him to finally have a chance to show what he can do, and we’re on the doorstep of that moment, so I ain’t selling for what others likely want to pay for a “hurt TE”.

im still hanging on to oj howard  :kicksrock:

Speaking Thursday, Vikings HC Kevin O'Connell told reporters that TE Irv Smith (thumb) remains on track for Week 1.​

Smith underwent thumb surgery in early August but was expected to be ready for Week 1. O'Connell indicated that Smith remains on track to hit that timeline. Smith is also recovering from a torn meniscus, suffered last September. He won't have many reps in O'Connell's offense, but Smith is should ramp up into a near every-snap role early in the season.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Aug 18, 2022, 11:01 AM ET

Much has been speculated about how McConnell will be good for the passing game in Minnesota, but has he ever featured the TE much in his offense? Tyler Higbee had some good, not great seasons under McConnell.

What should we expect from Irv Smith, Jr.? I think 50 rec. for 475 yards and 5 TDs might be a realistic expectation.

I have the same combo on one of my FFPC teams as well. Like taking the upside of Smith when you already have a safe option. Did it in one of my keeper leagues as well.

Much has been speculated about how McConnell will be good for the passing game in Minnesota, but has he ever featured the TE much in his offense? Tyler Higbee had some good, not great seasons under McConnell.

What should we expect from Irv Smith, Jr.? I think 50 rec. for 475 yards and 5 TDs might be a realistic expectation.
Excellent question!
Unlike Pederson (JAX), use of TE is very hit or miss with schemes. McConnell does not have a glowing TE use, but with the higher passing game, I would expect Cook to see more too.
I think the hierarchy of targets, Irv might be #4 inline. I worry his usage will not be ideal and not low-end TE1 caliber. More like mid-tier TE2?

Something to consider in regards to Smiths opportunity in the offense is that the more the Vikings use 3 WR sets, the more they need the TE to block in pass protection.

So the previous utilization of the TE with the Rams may be a product of that.

I don't expect the Vikings to use as many2 TE sets as previously or as few 3 WR sets.

So expectations should be lower despite Smith being a terrific prospect given praise by the coaches.

now that nobody hypes him up anymore, he will finally bust out bigtime this year probably
Doubtful. He's been a major disappointment.
You keep saying that - and it still doesn’t make any sense. He was a rookie behind two established vets and then missed a full season to injury.

When did he even get a chance to be a disappointment unless you’re blaming him for getting injured.

Irv Smith was a great blocker for Cook during his best season. Making some key blocks to help Cook get long gains.

Not fair to say he has shown nothing.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press' Chris Tomasson reports TE Irv Smith (thumb) is expected to play in Week 1.​

Smith has been sidelined with the thumb issue since the start of August. He recently returned to catching footballs at Vikings practice, per Tomasson. “It feels good. I’m getting back in the groove of things," Smith told reporters this week. "I’ve been out a few weeks now, so just getting back into football conditioning.” In 2020, Smith caught 30 of his 47 targets for 365 yards and five touchdowns. His 2021 season was wiped out by a knee injury. In a Minnesota offense that should be more pass heavy in 2022, Smith profiles as a sneaky streaming option in 12-team formats. He could become a fantasy starter if he's able to command enough targets from Kirk Cousins.
SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter
Sep 2, 2022, 9:52 AM ET

Vikings TE Irv Smith (thumb) said he's "100 percent" healthy.​

Smith's status wasn't in doubt after he was left off the Vikings' injury report. This suggests he won't be limited in his first game action since last August. Smith's lack of preseason reps with Kirk Cousins gives him a low target floor going into Week 1's matchup with Packers.
SOURCE: Pioneer Press
Sep 10, 2022, 12:04 PM ET

Irv Smith did not catch any of his two targets in the Vikings' Week 1 win over the Packers.

Backup tight end Johnny Mundt saw one more target than Smith. He also caught all three of his looks. It's possible that Smith was limited for this game after missing a handful of weeks in training camp because of a thumb injury. However, his usage is still concerning. Fantasy managers should look elsewhere at tight end for Week 2.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Vikings head coach Kevin O'Connell said Irv Smith wasn't involved in the team's offense in Week 1 by design.​

Smith split snaps and pass routes with Johnny Mundt against the Packers. He caught neither of his two targets from Kirk Cousins. O'Connell said Smith will have big outings in 2022, if and when the game plan includes the tight end running more routes. This makes it nearly impossible to predict Smith's usage, making him a streaming option in 12-team leagues. Managers should feel free to cut Smith headed into Week 2.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Kevin Seifert on Twitter

Also heard that they were holding Smith back to ease his transition after having missed so much time. I think its more this than writing him out of game plans and he should get more run as the season unwinds.

Irv Smith caught 5-of-8 targets for 36 yards and one touchdown in the Vikings' Week 2 loss to the Eagles.​

After goose-egging on two targets in Week 1 and playing behind blocker-type Johnny Mundt in the opener, it was Smith who paced the Vikings' tight ends in snaps and finished second on the team with eight targets. Smith's touchdown was a short two-yarder in the second quarter, the Vikings' lone score of the day. Smith will be little more than a mid-range TE2 for a Week 3 date with the Lions.
Sep 20, 2022, 12:02 AM ET

Irv Smith caught 5-of-8 targets for 36 yards and one touchdown in the Vikings' Week 2 loss to the Eagles.​

After goose-egging on two targets in Week 1 and playing behind blocker-type Johnny Mundt in the opener, it was Smith who paced the Vikings' tight ends in snaps and finished second on the team with eight targets. Smith's touchdown was a short two-yarder in the second quarter, the Vikings' lone score of the day. Smith will be little more than a mid-range TE2 for a Week 3 date with the Lions.
Sep 20, 2022, 12:02 AM ET
Should have had another 40 yard td but straight dropped it.

Irv Smith caught all four of his targets for seven yards and one touchdown in the Vikings' Week 6 win over the Dolphins.

Talk about making the targets count, as Smith got the scoring started with a short touchdown catch, his second of the season. Still, he's shown no ceiling to date and a scary-low floor. Smith is a tough sell as an every-week TE1, even at fantasy's thinnest position, but he does get a plus Week 8 draw against the Cardinals after the Vikings' bye.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Vikings beat writer Chris Tomasson reports Irv Smith suffered a high-ankle sprain in the team's Week 8 win over the Cardinals.​

Smith will have an MRI to determine the severity of his injury, but he's expected to miss at least a few games. His injury leaves the Vikings with Johnny Mundt as their only healthy tight end, as Ben Ellefson must miss at least one more game before returning from injured reserve. Mundt has caught 12 passes for 76 yards and one touchdown on the season and is nothing more than a desperation play in Week 9 against the Commanders.
SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter
Oct 31, 2022, 1:35 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Irv Smith (ankle) is expected to be sidelined 8-10 weeks.​

Well, that helps explain some of the motivation behind the T.J. Hockenson deal for Minnesota. Smith would miss most if not all of the remainder of the season with this injury timetable. The 2019 second-rounder has played just 20 games in the last three years and will likely be available in free agency.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Nov 1, 2022, 1:11 PM ET

What a letdown Irv has been. Might have to cut him in a dynasty (20 man roster, 1 IR) . Besides being weak and wounded all the time, I'm starting to question if he's actually any good? UFA in 2023 so maybe we'll find out if any teams think he is.

What a letdown Irv has been. Might have to cut him in a dynasty (20 man roster, 1 IR) . Besides being weak and wounded all the time, I'm starting to question if he's actually any good? UFA in 2023 so maybe we'll find out if any teams think he is.
I’m out on Irv Smith Jr. Hasn’t shown enough on the field in four years to be trusted. For fantasy purposes it’s rare that an undersized TE like him pans out. Shannon Sharpe and Ozzie Newsome were Hall of Famers. Delanie Walker didn’t break out until his 30s. And Trey Burton had one fantasy-TE1 caliber season in 2018. That’s about all I can think of. They’re all outliers with 6’2” TEs. I can’t see him being more than a backup, or veteran placeholder on the depth chart ahead of a 2023 rookie, with the next team that signs him.

Irv Smith is a UFA in 2023. I'm assuming everyone is hanging on to him to see where he lands. If MN resigns him I'll kick him to the curb since they now have Hockenson.

Irv Smith caught 1-of-2 targets for three yards and a touchdown in the Vikings' Wild Card Round loss to the Giants.

Smith heads into unrestricted free agency and is very likely to leave Minnesota after T.J. Hockenson cemented himself as the Vikings starter with Smith injured. If Smith can land on a team with a clear need at tight end he will be worth a late-round selection as a fantasy tight end in best ball drafts.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Irv Smith caught 1-of-2 targets for three yards and a touchdown in the Vikings' Wild Card Round loss to the Giants.

Smith heads into unrestricted free agency and is very likely to leave Minnesota after T.J. Hockenson cemented himself as the Vikings starter with Smith injured. If Smith can land on a team with a clear need at tight end he will be worth a late-round selection as a fantasy tight end in best ball drafts.

- NBCSportsEDGE
The Bengals would be a good landing spot IMO. I've seen some mocks having them take Mayer in the draft.

Last edited:

Bengals signed TE Irv Smith, formerly of the Vikings, to a one-year contract.

Smith signs a prove-it deal after missing the entire 2021 season with a knee injury and much of the 2022 season with an ankle injury. In Minnesota, Smith had nine touchdowns on 91 receptions over 37 games before being replaced by T.J. Hockensen in the middle of the 2022 season. Entering his age-25 season, Smith could have sneaky fantasy appeal if he is the primary route-running tight end in the pass-heavy Bengals offense. Last year, TE Hayden Hurst had a 14 percent target share in the Cincinnati offense, and Bengals tight ends combined for a 17 percent target share.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter
Mar 28, 2023 at 8:39 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread