What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Irv Smith Jr. - KC (1 Viewer)

Irv seeing how Uzomah and Hurst scored bigger contracts after being here. Good deal for both sides. Hopefully he can stay on the field. Psyched the Bengals landed him at this point.

-QG

The Athletic's Paul Dehner Jr. writes Bengals TE Irv Smith "looks entrenched as the starter" at tight end.

The Bengals surprised many draft needs charts by not picking a tight end after Hayden Hurst left for the Panthers in free agency. Drew Sample currently profiles as the backup to Smith. It's possible that Smith could emerge as a post-hype sleeper in a high-powered Cincy offense, but Smith will need to actually stay on the field to do it after only playing in 21 games over the last three seasons.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Apr 30, 2023 at 3:29 PM ET

The Bengals would be a good landing spot IMO. I've seen some mocks having them take Mayer in the draft.

Good call.

Peter Schrager
@PSchrags

Tight end Irv Smith, Jr. has agreed to a 1 year deal with the Bengals, per source.
I feel very confident he can be just as good, if not better, than Hurst. I'm happy about the landing spot obviously.
Well, other than that he's always hurt and hardly ever plays, he could do really well.

But hope springs eternal that he stays healthy

The Bengals would be a good landing spot IMO. I've seen some mocks having them take Mayer in the draft.

Good call.

Peter Schrager
@PSchrags

Tight end Irv Smith, Jr. has agreed to a 1 year deal with the Bengals, per source.
I feel very confident he can be just as good, if not better, than Hurst. I'm happy about the landing spot obviously.
Well, other than that he's always hurt and hardly ever plays, he could do really well.

But hope springs eternal that he stays healthy
This is the year !

Post-post hype sleeper?

I’ll be targeting him in my upcoming start-up draft. It’s TE-P, and he could be a sneaky good pick after the big name options are off the board.

Before the NFL draft I was going to target whomever the Bengals drafted at TE. Same difference bringing in Smith.

Couple years of disappointment might have some managers gun shy.

Post-post hype sleeper?

I’ll be targeting him in my upcoming start-up draft. It’s TE-P, and he could be a sneaky good pick after the big name options are off the board.

Before the NFL draft I was going to target whomever the Bengals drafted at TE. Same difference bringing in Smith.

Couple years of disappointment might have some managers gun shy.
Solid thought especially considering his age and draft pedigree actually stacks up favorably with some of the top drafted TE's. 50th pick in the draft, actually a tad younger then Schoonmaker, just a little over a year older then Kincaid. With learning curve often associated with a lot of young TE's getting a ready made one at a that age has some appeal.

It's not like he's look bad. Just been injured a lot and was not a focal point of the offense.

Before Hurst got banged up in week 12 I think he was on a 90 target pace. If you give Irv 90 targets he'll probably hover in the 65'ish catch range.

Solid thought especially considering his age and draft pedigree actually stacks up favorably with some of the top drafted TE's. 50th pick in the draft, actually a tad younger then Schoonmaker,
And from what I’ve read, Schoonmaker is more of a blocking TE, while Peyton Hendershot is more of a receiver. DAL may try to flip them around, but for this year I’m slightly bullish on Hendershot as a sleeper.

I’d much rather have Irv than Hendershot, or most of the rookie TEs for that matter.
It's not like he's look bad. Just been injured a lot and was not a focal point of the offense.

Before Hurst got banged up in week 12 I think he was on a 90 target pace. If you give Irv 90 targets he'll probably hover in the 65'ish catch range.
He’s sort of the Rashod Bateman of TEs right now. There are a lot of parallels.

I did not know he signed in Cincinnati
We've seen what Tight Ends can do with Joe Burrow and the HC likes to draw up plays for them
I would think he could be drafted as your TE2 if your roster holds it.

Ranked 27th right now, he's going to be undrafted in a lot of leagues and I like the upside of the Bengals offense.
I could see pairing him with a TE like Kmet or Everett and have a solid option at Tight End without burning a high draft pick on TE

I usually do not take a Tight End in the first 5-6 rounds, sometimes more like 10-11.

Solid thought especially considering his age and draft pedigree actually stacks up favorably with some of the top drafted TE's. 50th pick in the draft, actually a tad younger then Schoonmaker,
And from what I’ve read, Schoonmaker is more of a blocking TE, while Peyton Hendershot is more of a receiver. DAL may try to flip them around, but for this year I’m slightly bullish on Hendershot as a sleeper.

I’d much rather have Irv than Hendershot, or most of the rookie TEs for that matter.

Pretty sure Jake Ferguson is the Cowboys starting TE this year. He's a better receiver than Schoonmaker or Hendershot. I do agree that Schoonmaker is probably more of a blocker.

Irv Smith is probably a more talented player than either Hayden Hurst or CJ Uzomah were. I liked the flier by the Bengals, but fantasy wise, I'd have a hard time considering him anything other than a middling TE2. Certainly taking Kincaid and Mayer over him, and could certainly see arguments for Musgrave and LaPorta as well.

An important thing to remember when projecting Bengals targets, is that Chase missed 4.5 games last season, and Higgins while not technically missing any games, was in and out of the lineup so much, he basically missed as much time as Chase did. I think there is a scenario where Irv Smith could get to 500-5, but I'm not seeing much upside beyond that, and Smith's injury history is extensive. I think 16-20 is around where Smith becomes a worthwhile look, which is probably the Gerald Everett/Cole Kmet range.

Pretty sure Jake Ferguson is the Cowboys starting TE this year. He's a better receiver than Schoonmaker or Hendershot. I do agree that Schoonmaker is probably more of a blocker.

Irv Smith is probably a more talented player than either Hayden Hurst or CJ Uzomah were. I liked the flier by the Bengals, but fantasy wise, I'd have a hard time considering him anything other than a middling TE2. Certainly taking Kincaid and Mayer over him, and could certainly see arguments for Musgrave and LaPorta as well.

An important thing to remember when projecting Bengals targets, is that Chase missed 4.5 games last season, and Higgins while not technically missing any games, was in and out of the lineup so much, he basically missed as much time as Chase did. I think there is a scenario where Irv Smith could get to 500-5, but I'm not seeing much upside beyond that, and Smith's injury history is extensive. I think 16-20 is around where Smith becomes a worthwhile look, which is probably the Gerald Everett/Cole Kmet range.
I like LaPorta more than Mayer. The Lions did too. Smith landed in a great spot and if he’s over his injury I think he is more than a middling TE2.

I like LaPorta more than Mayer. The Lions did too. Smith landed in a great spot and if he’s over his injury I think he is more than a middling TE2.
I also like LaPorta more than Mayer. So did Dallas. On the other hand think the Raiders and Texans both liked Mayer over Kincaid and LaPorta. NFL teams were all over the place on them and I think that makes sense since they do different things.

Anyway I drafted Irv earlier today as my TE2, TE21 overall of a FFPC draft(1.5 TE) and I feel solid about it. Not great, but solid. Kind of guy I don't feel like I'll be sucking air if I need him and even has a little upside.

I’m sorry for saying that. Draft in progress and didn’t want to tip my hand and league members frequent this board.

Similar hype and hope as Jermichael Finley Packers TE back in the day.
I don't know...this wouldn't be the first time it took a TE until their second contract to blossom. I'm not considering him a priority, but he's on that list of guys that I'll sprinkle in my depth chart if I can get him cheap enough.

He's gonna ball out and get a contract like Hurst and Uzomah before him.

Quest is on to identify what reclamation project the Bengals will sign in this spot for '24.

-QG

Quest is on to identify what reclamation project the Bengals will sign in this spot for '24.

-QG
I already did that this year with Irv Smith. Not so sure I need to think about that right now.

-QG
I already did that this year with Irv Smith. Not so sure I need to think about that right now.

Oh you don't need to do anything - just wait for the Bengals to sign Smith's replacement a year from now ;)

-QG

-QG

Oh you don't need to do anything - just wait for the Bengals to sign Smith's replacement a year from now ;)

-QG
I can think of many different things to worry about.

Similar hype and hope as Jermichael Finley Packers TE back in the day.
I don't know...this wouldn't be the first time it took a TE until their second contract to blossom. I'm not considering him a priority, but he's on that list of guys that I'll sprinkle in my depth chart if I can get him cheap enough.
Irv Smith was only 21 years old as a rookie. So while he is on his 2nd contract he is still pretty young and there is some historical evidence showing it takes TE players a few seasons to really develop. That could be even more true considering how young he was coming into the league.

We don't really know much about his development because he has been injured and missed a lot of games as well.

As a Vikings fan the hype about what Smith was going to do was a lot, and that really flavors the disappointment for me as expectations were so high yet unrealized.

Something I have noticed from watching interviews with him is that while he would say the right things, he didn't seem focused or driven to be great in the way I have noticed with other players. Now that's just a subjective impression I've gotten from him, it is something that bothered me.

I think he has a lot of talent. I was especially impressed with some of his blocks at times which isn't even his calling card, and that observable effort does contradict my impression of him from interviews.

Although I am reluctant to be optimistic about him based on disappointing results so far, as I was going into last season, I do think the talent is there for him to really surprise us if he puts it all together and stays healthy this season.

If he's truly over his injury I can see him being a top 10 TE easily. That's a BIG IF however.
He'still so young- will be 25 in August. Age wise, he is still in the window we might expect a TE to break out. He is going to need to be crafty though because be lacks size and special athleticism.

Thinking of replacing Hunter Henry with Smith as my TE2. Similar floor but higher upside? TE premium and TE can play one of our 2 flexes.

I think he's boom/bust every week. Probably the fourth option for Burrow at best.
Not an every week starter for me.

I think he's boom/bust every week. Probably the fourth option for Burrow at best.
Not an every week starter for me.
A lot better option than most TE scrubs. I think he can be as good or better than Hurst was last year.

Hurst 2022...52 receptions...414 yds...2 TD's
Pretty low bar

Irv Smith Best year...30 receptions...365 yds...5 TD's

Pretty low bar

I did say ”…or better”. He’s on a better team than before and now he isn’t injured.

Pretty low bar

I did say ”…or better”. He’s on a better team than before and now he isn’t injured.
Agree he is on a better team. But the offense he was in before was pretty good also. I like Irv,watched him play in college,thought he'd put up better numbers than he has so far.
The injuries slowed him for sure. He's in a good situation this season. We'll see.

Bengals use their TE.

Bengals WRs can get dinged up like any other.

Irv reportedly had an excellent camp, developed rapport with Burrow.

Still unbelievably sleepy. Y’all sleeping on a top 12 FF TE. Just 24, too for those who play dynasty.

The classic post post hype sleeper.
Shhhhhhhhh, you’ll wake the baby.

The main issue with Smith has been injuries. He played well for the Vikings when he was actually on the field.

I have been burned by having him in leagues in the past because of his absence and I do have some minor things that have made me wonder about him from press conference interviews Ive watched in the past, but Im willing to give him another shot and have picked him up in redraft this year.

Irv Smith caught 3-of-5 targets for 17 yards in the Bengals’ Week 1 loss to the Browns.

Smith finished the day tied with Joe Mixon for third on the Bengals in targets. He earned a 16 percent target share. Though targets don’t put fantasy points on the table, they do predict future fantasy fantasy points quite well. For his first game with Burrow, a 16 percent cut isn’t bad. Smith will look to capitalize on his role as a TE2 with upside in Week 2 against the Ravens.

- Rotoworld

Bengals list TE Irv Smith as doubtful for Week 3 against the Rams.

Smith first popped on the team’s injury report on Friday, meaning he likely picked up the injury during the team’s first practice session of the week on Thursday. He was able to manage back-to-back limited sessions on Friday and Saturday but draws the doubtful tag for Monday Night Football against the Rams. Drew Sample and Mitchell Wilcox are on hand to handle tight end duties for a Bengals team that could also be without quarterback Joe Burrow, who is listed as questionable after aggravating the calf injury he suffered in camp.

Users who are viewing this thread