What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jelani Woods, IND (1 Viewer)

Colts TE Jelani Woods caught both of his targets for 22 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's preseason opener.​

The Colts started Mo Alie-Cox and Kylen Granson in two tight end sets. Andrew Ogletree got snaps over Woods in the red-zone while the Matt Ryan group was still in the game. Woods' touchdown came in the second half with Sam Ehlinger at quarterback. The third-round rookie has been buried on the depth chart, but this should earn him a few more reps. Woods, a three-year college starter with elite RAS, has the highest upside among the Colts' tight ends.
Aug 14, 2022, 9:49 AM ET

I'm 0 for 2 getting him in rookie drafts. Annoying
Drew Ogletree having a good camp, and I am 2 for 2 in picking him up off the wire.
You're dead to me, Jelani. I never thought you were all that.
(FantasyPros) According to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, TE Andrew Ogletree, who had been a camp standout for the Indianapolis Colts, has torn his ACL. Analysis: Ogletree was a sixth-round draft pick out of Youngstown State where he had 28 catches for 282 yards as a senior. Ogletree was pushing for playing time in a deep Colts tight end room, but an ACL tear will effectively end his rookie season before it even begins.

Jelani Woods caught both of his targets for 13 yards and two touchdowns in the Colts' Week 3 win over the Chiefs.

The third-round rookie entered Sunday with no targets. He made his first two count with one- and 12-yard touchdown grabs. Playing in a three-man committee with Mo Alie-Cox and Kylen Granson, Woods is off the fantasy map ahead of Week 4 against the Titans.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Jelani Woods caught both of his targets for 13 yards and two touchdowns in the Colts' Week 3 win over the Chiefs.

The third-round rookie entered Sunday with no targets. He made his first two count with one- and 12-yard touchdown grabs. Playing in a three-man committee with Mo Alie-Cox and Kylen Granson, Woods is off the fantasy map ahead of Week 4 against the Titans.

- NBCSportsEDGE
Coming out party.

Destin Adams
@TheDestinAdams
And it starts with getting him on the field! His current snap count just isn’t enough imo.
-----------------------------
Andrew Moore
@AndrewMooreNFL

Jelani Woods is going to be a menace to defenses for a long time. Big, fast, athletic TE. Colts need to find ways to get him the ball.
LINK
How many times do I see statements like this and it never happens? Gotta get him the ball more! Starting to wonder how many coaches are truly clueless in the league.

Destin Adams
@TheDestinAdams
And it starts with getting him on the field! His current snap count just isn’t enough imo.
Andrew Moore
@AndrewMooreNFL

Jelani Woods is going to be a menace to defenses for a long time. Big, fast, athletic TE. Colts need to find ways to get him the ball.
LINK
How many times do I see statements like this and it never happens? Gotta get him the ball more! Starting to wonder how many coaches are truly clueless in the league.
Now is not the right time for Woods. He's going to be good in the future, but who will be the QB? Those wanting to play him now are putting the cart before the horse. Ali-Cox and Granson are capable also.

Destin Adams
@TheDestinAdams
Andrew Moore
@AndrewMooreNFL

LINK
Now is not the right time for Woods. He's going to be good in the future, but who will be the QB? Those wanting to play him now are putting the cart before the horse. Ali-Cox and Granson are capable also.
Was more of a general statement about things I've seen said continually over the years. Woods not playing a ton 4 weeks into his career isn't a big deal.

Jelani Woods caught 1-of-2 targets for four yards in the Colts' Week 7 loss to the Titans.

A report from earlier in the week indicated Woods would get more opportunities going forward, but that didn't manifest in this game. The only positive spin to be put on this game is that Woods led the Indy tight ends in targets. All three of Woods, Kylen Granson, and Mo Alie-Cox can be left off fantasy rosters.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Ok. So this guy has some flash games earlier then seem to be lost in the shuffle of the coaching changes. Is he someone Saturday likes? They sure fed him tonight and he delivered. 8-98 on 9 targets. I wonder with Jeff Saturday as coach it's as simple as guy produces, get him the ball more.

Is there any way we can just combine the stats of the Colts TE on a weekly basis...would make for a solid TE over the past few years.

What were the stats of the other Receivers for Indy last night?

Pittman
Campbell
Pierce

How often is Jelani Woods going to be the top WR/TE in targets, rec and yds in the same night?
I'm just thinking redrafts and the next several weeks
Dynasty would be totally different discussion, Indy likely to have a new QB next season
Luck-Rivers-Wentz-Ryan...who's next?

What were the stats of the other Receivers for Indy last night?

Pittman
Campbell
Pierce

How often is Jelani Woods going to be the top WR/TE in targets, rec and yds in the same night?
I'm just thinking redrafts and the next several weeks
Dynasty would be totally different discussion, Indy likely to have a new QB next season
Luck-Rivers-Wentz-Ryan...who's next?
Luck-Rivers-Wentz-Ryan..........Rodgers

Maybe not a plug n play, but...

13. at DAL (28th most FF points allowed to TEs in PPR)
14. bye

playoff schedule

15. at Min (5th)
16. LAC (11th)
17. at NYG (6th)

Jelani Woods caught 8-of-9 targets for 98 yards in the Colts' Week 12 loss to the Steelers.​

Per usual, Matt Ryan barely attempted to throw the ball deep, but this time that meant Woods was able to soak up looks in the middle of the field. The result was a career day for the rookie tight end. He also finished second on the team in targets while leading Indy in catches and yards. Mo Alie-Cox still saw some playing time in this game, but it was clear from start to finish that Woods was the more explosive pass-catcher of the two. It's hard to trust anyone outside of the big names on this roster, but Woods has to be considered as a streaming option for Week 13. He will rank as a mid-range TE2 versus the Cowboys.
Nov 28, 2022, 11:33 PM ET

Might have to start this dude this week in a deep dynasty league after losing Pitts and having Higbee go target-less last week. Only option via waivers is Akins. Praying this was a sign of more to come from Woods.

He looks like he runs about a 5.5 forty, but a load to bring down.

4.61 actually. He's just a monster of a physical specimen

Credit to @Bracie Smathersfor posting this in the 2022 Draft Prospects thread:

Kent Lee Platte@MathBomb

Jelani Woods is a TE prospect in the 2022 draft class. He scored a 10 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 1 out of 998 TE from 1987 to 2022. This bests an all time score that held for more than 20 years.
LINK

Was the production just because Granson was out or is there more to come?
Well he is only a rookie at a challenging position but they have been talking him up all year and he has flashed in a couple of spots before the other night. Hard to imagine he hasn't earned the job moving forward in terms of targets.

Was the production just because Granson was out or is there more to come?
Well he is only a rookie at a challenging position but they have been talking him up all year and he has flashed in a couple of spots before the other night. Hard to imagine he hasn't earned the job moving forward in terms of targets.
Colts have had a few good games out Woods and Allie-Cox this year. But then nothing after that. Hard to get excited

I can't be the only person who when I watched the MNF game and I saw a pass thrown to a big lumbering TE I had to wait to see it if was 81 or 80 to know if it was Moe Alie or Woods.

I'd hold my breath on Jelani Woods doing anything impactful in Week 13. The ferocious Cowboys defense is playing with 100% effort for 100% of the snaps. No matter the score, they don't take their foot off the gas. Provided they can hold their own against JTaylor, I can't see how they don't absolutely slaughter Matt Ryan this week in Dallas. He could log a career-worst performance if he even lasts the whole game, without getting badly hurt, IMHO. That is a bad, bad matchup.

4.61 actually. He's just a monster of a physical specimen
He didn't look fast in college either.
That's nice he ran a 4.6, but going by his game in the NFL, he's a slow tight end.

I think he's flashed his athleticism.

The steelers game, he mostly caught contested balls and got tackled immediately.

I think he's a work in progress but I personally see him as a high risk high reward te prospect with elite potential who is really raw.

Also just looked at his college highlights. Remember he was new to the position when you watch. He did a lot of te drag routes where he's jogging behind the line of scrimmage facing his quarterback. Of course that looks slow. That's not an NFL quality route.

But when you see him get a head of steam he looks plenty fast to me.

I think what you're seeing is that he is fast enough to make contested catches but he hasn't learned how to get open and make a catch while on the run. I agree with you that for this year he's playing like a slow tight end but that's not the same as being slow. As a dynasty prospect I see him learning the position over the next few years and the sky is the limit on his potential. For this year in redraft... he's replacement level.

Yesterday, 7:20 pm

Jelani Woods (shoulder/quad) did not practice Wednesday.

Advice: Hot off a breakout performance of eight catches for 98 yards, Woods now has a quad issue on top of the shoulder injury he was already playing through. He was on the field for the Colts' final drive of Week 12, so his absence from practice may be nothing more than maintenance. His status for the Colts' practices on Thursday and Friday will be important to monitor.

ETA:

Yesterday, 7:22 pm

Kylen Granson (illness) was a full participant in Wednesday's practice.

Advice: While Granson was sidelined because of an illness last week, Jelani Woods was busy posting the best receiving line of any Indy tight end this season. He caught eight balls for 98 yards, both of which led the team. Granson will, at best, return to a part-time role this week. He is not on the fantasy radar for Week 13.

Listed as DNP after big game
November 30, 2022
Woods (shoulder/quad) is listed as a non-participant on Wednesday's practice report.
ANALYSIS
The report is an estimation, as the Colts merely held a walkthrough two days after losing to the Steelers on Monday Night Football. Woods was the star of the night for Indianapolis with eight catches for 98 yards on nine targets, though he apparently added a quad injury to the shoulder issue that caused him to miss the previous game.

His big outing Monday came with fellow tight end Kylen Granson sidelined by an illness, and it's possible Woods sees his role diminished now that he's the least healthy of Indy's TE trio (Mo Alie-Cox being the third). On the other hand, Granson hasn't done a whole lot while getting most of the TE snaps in obvious passing situations this year, and Woods is a third-round rookie with 4.61 speed who just threatened 100 yards. He'll need to prove his health, of course, before he can attempt to build on the breakout performance Sunday night in Dallas.

Last edited:

Jelani Woods had one catch for 36 yards in Week 15 vs the Vikings.​

Woods was the Colts' second leading receiver but had fewer targets than Kylen Granson (2). The rookie tight end has cooled since going off for 98 yards in Week 12, catching three passes for 64 yards his last two games. Woods has a matchup with the Chargers' secondary on Monday night in Week 16.
Dec 17, 2022, 6:03 PM ET

Colts TE Jelani Woods missed OTAs with a hamstring injury.​

It's a new injury for Woods, one that could limit him at mandatory OTAs next month. Overshadowed by the addition of third-round WR Josh Downs this offseason, Woods is in line for a Year 2 leap after posting a 25/312/3 line as a rookie. The 6-foot-7 Woods should push veteran TE Mo Alie-Cox to start and see heavy snaps in Indy's redzone offense.
SOURCE: Herald Bulletin
May 27, 2023, 10:32 AM ET

Traded him away for a minor future pick upgrade a few days ago. Would have liked to keep him but roster cutdowns will likely be brutal so just took what I could, like the player but can't justify the hold

Users who are viewing this thread