What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Kyle Pitts, ATL (1 Viewer)

Very odd. You’d think coaches would use their best players but then I remember that you can’t count on rational coaching

Talent over situation is all I’ve been hearing today from the Garrett Wilson crowd. Meanwhile, there’s Kyle Pitts on the other end of that argument.

How many targets today? He had seven last week.
How often was Ramsey on him? London had a nice day.
He's got a former TE coach coaching the team and a QB with a history of throwing to the TE. I wouldn't worry a bit.

For a bad team, they hung with the Saints and Superbowl champs. We all know they're not there yet but they're showing signs of improvement. With a wonderful cap situation next year, they're working a plan nicely in ATL.
I think 3 sacks this week and zero last week. That number would be like 12 last year.

Imagine if Bryan Edwards could jump? They need more top players. Anderson played today and stood out. They just need more pieces.

Drafted him in round 4 and was fully aware of the terrible weeks 1 and 2 matchups. Set expectations accordingly, but was thinking maybe his ceiling would emerge anyway. Nope.

Not panicking, but if they can't get him involved in week 3 against a SEA D that looks downright terrible the panic button will be slammed.

Arthur going with the productive struggle and sneaky tank this year is the only conceivable explanation for why this dude has 4 catches so far this year.

The quick emergence of London shouldn't be discounted. While there are not a lot of pass catchers in this offense, Pitts has more target competition this year than he had last year (not that Gage was a slouch).

The quick emergence of London shouldn't be discounted. While there are not a lot of pass catchers in this offense, Pitts has more target competition this year than he had last year (not that Gage was a slouch).
I'm hoping that will be a good thing for Pitts. Defenses are quickly learning they're going to need to pay more attention to London.

I still love him for Dynasty, but 3rd round was kind of crazy ADP considering no one knew how this new look Falcons offense was going to perform, and whether MM would be targeting the TE.

Next year with London, Pitts and assuming a return, Ridley on the field, Pitts should find much softer coverage.

Pitts could still come alive this season, but for now he’s a dart throw like most of the other TEs not named Kelce, Andrews or Waller.

Last edited:
Drafted him in round 4 and was fully aware of the terrible weeks 1 and 2 matchups. Set expectations accordingly, but was thinking maybe his ceiling would emerge anyway. Nope.

Not panicking, but if they can't get him involved in week 3 against a SEA D that looks downright terrible the panic button will be slammed.
If it helps, Ramsey held him on a would-be bomb TD where otherwise we would be singing the praises of his resurgence.

Mike Clay @MikeClayNFL

Just watched all of Kyle Pitts' routes this season. Separation was an issue a few times, but can we get more plays designed for him? I'm no expert on play design, but he didn't seem like Read #1 very often. Mariota often looking elsewhere.

As for Wk 2 specifically, he wasn't really open. Either his route went right into coverage and/or, when he was open, Mariota was taking so much pressure he couldn't get it to him.

Still think better days are ahead. Lots of routes. Lots of raw skill.

Pitts has run 16 routes at outside receiver and has zero targets on those plays.

4 targets on 16 routes as an inline TE
6 targets on 19 routes when in the slot

A corner has been in primary coverage on roughly have of his 51 routes, ~two-thirds of which have been against zone.

Mariotta being an embarrassment doesn't help. The team is awful. No reason to not put in the young guy.
This is probably my biggest worry about Pitts. Mariota doesn’t do a good job going through progressions, and often looks somewhere else first. He relies too much on his legs rather than make the easy throw. Pitts would benefit more with a traditional QB IMO.

Mariota has played well. Almost won both games.
Not something Pitts owners want to hear, but that's a fair statement. Mariota just found another big time receiving option in London, although I'm sure once defenses start keying more on the rookie, Pitts will benefit more. With both guys in the fold, Pitts may just not have the target share as expected. The good thing is that it is still a narrow target tree between the two of them.

Mariotta being an embarrassment doesn't help. The team is awful. No reason to not put in the young guy.
This is probably my biggest worry about Pitts. Mariota doesn’t do a good job going through progressions, and often looks somewhere else first. He relies too much on his legs rather than make the easy throw. Pitts would benefit more with a traditional QB IMO.
Having watched some of these games, I don't believe either of these quotes match reality.

As for "relies too much on his legs" - that's because if he didn't he'd be looking out of his earhole like Ryan was much of last year. Blame the OL, not MM.

Pitts has run 16 routes at outside receiver and has zero targets on those plays.
Technically true, but only because DPIs don't count as a target. He drew a 36 yard DPI on a shot downfield where the CB was just hanging on to one arm to keep up, while lined up outside. Maybe an 80 yard TD if he doesn't get interfered with, but at minimum a 40ish yard catch.

Mariota hasn't looked bad (he's been helped by a couple dropped pick 6s) but he's always been kind of a checkdown QB. Like HSG said, the line is doing him no favors either. Most of London's routes are within 10 yards of the LOS so far, so oddly enough he's more the check down option than the TE Pitts.

Having watched some of these games, I don't believe either of these quotes match reality.

As for "relies too much on his legs" - that's because if he didn't he'd be looking out of his earhole like Ryan was much of last year. Blame the OL, not MM.
There is ZERO data to back up Marcus Mariota being even serviceable for receiving options fantasy wise. In the four full seasons he started from 2015-2018, only one time did any player get to 1,000 yards (Walker in 2015). Outside of that, no other Titan player ever even hit 900 yards in four straight years with Mariota under center. That’s not just a game manager, buts it’s absolutely abysmal. If you can provide data to backup Mariota being good for fantasy receiving I would love to see the actual DATA, and not just some fictional reality you claim.

There is ZERO data to back up Marcus Mariota being even serviceable for receiving options fantasy wise. In the four full seasons he started from 2015-2018, only one time did any player get to 1,000 yards (Walker in 2015). Outside of that, no other Titan player ever even hit 900 yards in four straight years with Mariota under center. That’s not just a game manager, buts it’s absolutely abysmal. If you can provide data to backup Mariota being good for fantasy receiving I would love to see the actual DATA, and not just some fictional reality you claim.

MM's last two games, which you clearly did not watch, have nothing to do with his time in TEN 5-8 years ago. I suggest watching the games, and then forming a more qualified opinion about his play so far in 2022.

Capitalizing "zero" and "data" don't make your argument stronger in the slightest.

I've watched this guy play for years in Nashville. He's terrible. His last two mediocre games don't change that.
The system he played in Nashville was not suited for him. Can't expect Mariota to thrive in a pro style offense and cut out his mobility which is his best asset.

I've watched this guy play for years in Nashville. He's terrible. His last two mediocre games don't change that.
The system he played in Nashville was not suited for him. Can't expect Mariota to thrive in a pro style offense and cut out his mobility which is his best asset.
He sucks. It's OK. He seems like a good guy
Very good college quarterback, average NFL quarterback but doesn't suck.

Users who are viewing this thread