What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Mark Andrews, BAL (1 Viewer)

in2win

Footballguy
Mark Andrews........watched some of his film and seems to be getting more playtime lately.  Has some nice ball skills

Flacco was always one to utilize his TE's quite a bit.  I know Hurst is looming but missing all that time as a rookie cant help.

Will Andrews continue to develop and become a TE2 this year with upside?

Any opinions or anybody else we should be looking at that will provide some value?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrews is solid, but I doubt the volume will be there for startable numbers.

Think about stashing Hayden Hurst instead. He's an elite athlete for a TE and should be a factor once he comes back from his foot injury.

He was looking great in training camp and I think was on track to be Baltimore's starter before he got hurt.

Andrews is solid, but I doubt the volume will be there for startable numbers.

Think about stashing Hayden Hurst instead. He's an elite athlete for a TE and should be a factor once he comes back from his foot injury.

He was looking great in training camp and I think was on track to be Baltimore's starter before he got hurt.
Thanks for the info

Struggling at the TE position this year and there is really not much out there available with all the injuries at the position.  Just trying to stay a step ahead and possibly stash someone who could make an impact moving forward in a few weeks.

It doesn't look like too many rookie TE's come in and make a difference the first year but in Baltimore's case there are 2 and hopefully one of them can come out on top with respectful #s.  Both Hurst and Andrews are good athletes with nice hands.  My only concern with Hurst is the time he is missing right now

Andrews is every bit the receiving threat that Hurst is, perhaps even better.  Especially if he regains the half-step he lost in his last year at Oklahoma.  

But Hurst is the far superior blocker of the two which will keep him on the field if he establishes himself.  

Andrews is every bit the receiving threat that Hurst is, perhaps even better.  Especially if he regains the half-step he lost in his last year at Oklahoma.  

But Hurst is the far superior blocker of the two which will keep him on the field if he establishes himself.  
Andrews was pretty quick and athletic early in his OU career, but he packed on weight in his final season and lost mobility. It was obvious to the naked eye and some scouting reports also mentioned it. I like him, but I don't think he's as athletically gifted as Hurst, who the Ravens were splitting out wide like a WR at times during the preseason.

Ultimately, I think both players are good value at their current market price in dynasty. Andrews may be the better red zone target, but I'd say Hurst is the better athlete and the stronger overall receiving prospect. In redraft, Andrews seems like he's going to be very boom-or-bust hinging on whether or not he catches a TD in a given game. I think Hurst has more potential for steady targets and production when he comes back. He's been out for a while and isn't even practicing yet, but I imagine he'll return within the next few weeks. A preemptive waiver add would be wise if you have a deep bench and TE needs.

This guy was my favorite TE prospect in 2018 draft but after Hurst went first in front of him to the same team, I sort of lost interest.  Then Hurst got hurt and Andrews has stepped up.  Through 9 games of rookie season he is 21 receptions on 32 targets, 244 yards and 2 TDs.  He seems like an especially good red zone target. 

Some people compare him to Gronk Lite but I see more of Todd Heap in him.

Baltimore is a team that likes to throw to the TE.    Since he doesn't have a dedicated page and since he seems to be doing pretty well for a rookie TE it seemed appropriate to start a thread.

I like what I've seen so far. He made a great sideline catch for a TE this weekend. In this TE landscape he isnt a bad option to start, but not a good one either. I don't know what to make of him yet. I like the talent, but not the situation.

Max Power said:
I like what I've seen so far. He made a great sideline catch for a TE this weekend. In this TE landscape he isnt a bad option to start, but not a good one either. I don't know what to make of him yet. I like the talent, but not the situation.
I hear you. In redraft he is still a bad/low end TE2 due to competition for looks. 

For dynasty I like his situation because BA likes to throw to TEs and he has the edge at this point over Hurst.

Looks far more promising than Hurst. My only problem with him is I do think he is more of a big slot than a true in-line kind of guy. Usually that means less snaps but since this is his rookie season there is some promising usage and targeting going on for a young TE.

If he can prove himself as an all-around TE and not just a receiver, I'll like him more. He has a big edge on Hurst so far and they took multiple shots to him in the end zone against the Steelers. He'd have scored at least once with a better throw or two.

The only question is if Hurst passes him up once he gets fully up to speed, whether that's later this year or next year. They could be 1A and 1B, but it's tough say which of them will end up used more.

Mark Andrews - TE -  Ravens

Mark Andrews hauled in both of his targets for a team-high 83 yards and one score in Baltimore's impressive Week 16 upset win over the Chargers.

Andrews has proven to be the most explosive tight end on Baltimore's roster, and that held true Saturday when Lamar Jackson dropped a dime in between downfield coverage that allowed the third-round rookie to maintain his sprint after the catch and run in for a 68-yard score. Andrews is quietly the owner of the two longest plays for the Ravens this season, the other occurring back in Week 12 when he turned his only target into a 74-yard gain. Despite his standout athleticism, Andrews can't be trusted in fantasy since he's stuck in a three-headed timeshare at tight end.

Dec 23 - 12:47 AM

Mark Andrews hauled in 3-of-7 targets for 31 yards in the Ravens' Wild Card loss to the Chargers.

Andrews was drafted two rounds after Hayden Hurst, but he ended up making a much bigger impact as a rookie. One of the few pass catchers to post bigger numbers after Lamar Jackson took over, Andrews finished the regular season with 34 catches for 552 yards and three touchdowns before leading the team in targets in the Wild Card loss. More receiver than tight end -- he ran 56.2 percent of his routes from the slot in the regular season according to PFF -- Andrews could make some fantasy noise next season if Jackson improves as a passer.

Jan 6 - 5:57 PM

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec writes Ravens TE Mark Andrews "looks bigger, stronger, and faster."

Despite being drafted a couple of rounds after Hayden Hurst, Andrews made a much larger impact as a rookie with 34 catches for 552 yards and three touchdowns. According to Zrebiec, Andrews has continued that form into the offseason program. The passing game probably needs to improve for Andrews to return consistent fantasy value, but he is a fine TE2 flier in deeper leagues.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 17, 2019, 9:25 AM ET

In. Got Andrews in the 4th round of my rookie draft last year as a flier/depth behind Gronk. Now I'm maybe penciling him in as my TE1 ... or at least until I draft Fant or Hockenson :whistle:

Ravens TE Mark Andrews "could be a featured receiving target" according to the team's website.

The BaltimoreRavens.com tight end breakdown lists Nick Boyle as a "starter" because of his blocking skills, but it's Mark Andrews who has the best odds of breaking out as a receiver. This offseason Andrews has been "a big body over the middle" for Lamar Jackson and has even split out wide. Andrews should improve upon last year's 34-552-3 receiving line as long as Hayden Hurst doesn't pose too big of a threat. Andrews is a worthwhile TE2 option for deep leagues.

SOURCE: BaltimoreRavens.com

Jul 8, 2019, 2:46 PM ET

Cautiously optimistic in the FBGs (TE premium). I can't expect too much from Jackson or that Baltimore offense but the drumbeat has been steady since last year.  If you wait on TE he is not a bad later target, though I suppose he will get more expensive as we roll through August.

Andrews may be the only receiving option in BAL that even comes close to sniffing fantasy relevance.  From weeks 11-17 when Lamar became the starter, his top 3 WR's finished as WR76, WR88, and WR98.  At least his TE's finished TE16, TE44, and TE51.

Fun fact - In 1974 vs the Jets in week 3, the Bills rushed 61 times and attempted 2 passes.  Both were incomplete.

Andrews may be the only receiving option in BAL that even comes close to sniffing fantasy relevance.  From weeks 11-17 when Lamar became the starter, his top 3 WR's finished as WR76, WR88, and WR98.  At least his TE's finished TE16, TE44, and TE51.

Fun fact - In 1974 vs the Jets in week 3, the Bills rushed 61 times and attempted 2 passes.  Both were incomplete.
Did OJ throw those two passes?

Haha, no.  It was QB Joe Ferguson, who had a 17-yr career, and led the league in pass attempts just a few yrs later.
Joe Ferguson (Arkansas) passed for 27,590 yards for the Bills, starting 163 games over 12 seasons, then lasted five more years for a few other teams. WPS!

Now, back to the discussion on Mark Andrews, who may or may not have value for 2019 at Baltimore with Lamar Jackson at QB. It's a new NFL where 58% completion percentage just doesn't get the job done. Ferguson had a 52% career completion percentage.

I find this guy to be interesting. For a rookie TE he was a beast at times last year. Not sure this offense can really support a number one anything but Baltimore has a very, very young talented offense. Athletic phenom at QB, speedster WR in Brown, possession plus WR in Boykins, healthy stable of RBs, and perhaps the most loaded TE group in the league. That is where is gets a little tricky. They signed TE Boyle to a healthy contract and he will probably play the most snaps at the position due to his strong blocking. Former 1st Rounder TE Hurst is back and healthy so it will be interesting to see how the snaps are distributed between the three. Andrews seems like he has the talent to become a real threat at the position but will have a tough time separating himself too much with as much talent as they have a position.

I find the hype on this guy a little puzzling to be honest. As a flier, I get it I suppose, but that passing offense is going to be pretty putrid and it's difficult for me to see how he's going to get enough volume to matter.

If you need a TE2 type, sure, but I don't see the dynasty upside that's seems to be priced in here. People are also acting like Hurst doesn't exist - it remains to be seen whether he can get on the field consistently but he was a first round pick with some receiving ability. I think there's a decent risk he turns this into a committee situation, which would cut into the already low volume Andrews is going to see. Am I missing something?

I like Andrews and drafted him last year but I am not optimistic about this year. He has a young, unproven QB, an offense that favors the run, and his status is unclear due to competition at the position. 

I find this guy to be interesting. For a rookie TE he was a beast at times last year. Not sure this offense can really support a number one anything but Baltimore has a very, very young talented offense. Athletic phenom at QB, speedster WR in Brown, possession plus WR in Boykins, healthy stable of RBs, and perhaps the most loaded TE group in the league. That is where is gets a little tricky. They signed TE Boyle to a healthy contract and he will probably play the most snaps at the position due to his strong blocking. Former 1st Rounder TE Hurst is back and healthy so it will be interesting to see how the snaps are distributed between the three. Andrews seems like he has the talent to become a real threat at the position but will have a tough time separating himself too much with as much talent as they have a position.
Indy, Philly, Rams, Tampa Bay, do you want me to go on?

RushHour said:
I find the hype on this guy a little puzzling to be honest. As a flier, I get it I suppose, but that passing offense is going to be pretty putrid and it's difficult for me to see how he's going to get enough volume to matter.

If you need a TE2 type, sure, but I don't see the dynasty upside that's seems to be priced in here. People are also acting like Hurst doesn't exist - it remains to be seen whether he can get on the field consistently but he was a first round pick with some receiving ability. I think there's a decent risk he turns this into a committee situation, which would cut into the already low volume Andrews is going to see. Am I missing something?
I would guess what you're missing in that analysis is that he had the 9th best fantasy rookie TE season in NFL history last year, which is pretty noteworthy especially since TEs are expected to improve rather substantially beyond their rookie year.

It's also worth noting that he averaged 44 yards per game in the 7 games Lamar Jackson started.  That would be 704 yards over 16 games which is pretty good for a TE.  And again that's with both of them being rookies that could very easily improve substantially.

I am not saying he's the next big thing, but he has some pretty massive upside.

Young QBs tend to target their TEs a little more. The drumbeat has been steady since the 2018 draft, preseason and then he emerged in his rookie season. Although I agree the Ravens offense won't have a lot of targets to go around, and that he will have some competition from Hurst, he is the clear favorite to be their #1 receiving TE. And he is relatively cheap.

I would guess what you're missing in that analysis is that he had the 9th best fantasy rookie TE season in NFL history last year, which is pretty noteworthy especially since TEs are expected to improve rather substantially beyond their rookie year.

It's also worth noting that he averaged 44 yards per game in the 7 games Lamar Jackson started.  That would be 704 yards over 16 games which is pretty good for a TE.  And again that's with both of them being rookies that could very easily improve substantially.

I am not saying he's the next big thing, but he has some pretty massive upside.
I do agree that's noteworthy - there seems a good correlation between having a (relatively) strong rookie season at TE and going on to be consistently fantasy relevant, at a minimum. A 700 yard season would be good for a TE, but I guess I just don't see the upside compared to guys like Goedert or Fant for example. At TE, I personally like to aim for true difference makers and Andrews to me just looks 'solid' I guess. A bit Like Austin Hooper, who I've also never really been interested in.

Nothing wrong with that of course and I don't dispute that moving into the top 10 or so TEs would be in his range of outcomes, but I just think a lot has to break right for that to happen. As roster depth or a fringe starter he's fine, but it just seems like he's quickly becoming overrated (at least in dynasty) due to the wave of sleeper hype that has suddenly hit over the past month or so. I was listening to one of the dynasty podcasts this week (can't remember which) and they were saying that a 2020 2nd round pick wouldn't be enough to get Andrews in most leagues if you were trying to buy him - that he was in that grey area between worth more than a second, not worth a first. I know all leagues are different, but I think a 2020 2nd would pretty easily buy him in most of my leagues (assuming 1 TE), given the hype around the 2020 class. Certainly if I owned him, I'd be happy to cash out at that price. 

When I think young QB that like to run and isn't a great passer--I think the tight end is going to get a lot of volume.  Andrews made some big plays last year, showing off his athletic ability.  

But mainly, he's cheap.  If the "hype" is wrong, what are you using on him?  A 10th rounder?  12th?

az_prof said:
I like Andrews and drafted him last year but I am not optimistic about this year. He has a young, unproven QB, an offense that favors the run, and his status is unclear due to competition at the position. 
I really don't think Hurst is competition for Andrews 

I really don't think Hurst is competition for Andrews 
That is what we don’t really know yet and is the main factor in Andrews production this year. Hurst has draft capital on his side and was hurt most of last year. Could have a triple threat match at TE if he proves to be a talent as well.

tangfoot said:
Indy, Philly, Rams, Tampa Bay, do you want me to go on?
Rams? You know Andrews had a better rookie year than Howard on a team that threw the ball only when absolutely forced too?

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec reports second-year TE Mark Andrews has been the Ravens' "most dangerous and productive offensive player" at training camp.

Zrebiec notes Andrews looked lost at this time last year as a rookie, but things have obviously changed as he heads into year two. Andrews posted a 34-552-3 line as a rookie, one of the better first-year tight end outputs in league history, and looks poised to build on it. Andrews showed solid rapport with Lamar Jackson the second half of last year and in the playoffs. With the Ravens not having a whole lot at receiver, Andrews could realistically see 70-plus targets after getting 50 in 2018.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 29, 2019, 7:31 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread